cabin next elevator, noise problem?

aprilsp88

Hi,

Would noise be a problem if the cabin is right next to elevator? I wonder if I could hear the elevator bell all the time? This is on pacific princess. Don't know if bell volume is the same on all ships?

Thanks,

April

I've had a room right next to the lift on the PP and it wasn't a problem.

No answer for you on Pacific Princess (your ship in question). Hopefully, others who have sailed on her with a cabin in that location will reply.

On other Princess ships we've loved being across from the mid-ship elevator lobby and have never found noise to be a problem.

LuLu

I was just on the Star Princess in a cabin (B704) which faced into the hallway where the elevators were. I did occassionally hear the "ding" from the elevators, and some conversations from people standing around waiting for the elevators to arrive. However, it was not too bad. B704 is by the rear stairwell, and we had an older crowd and I think those two factors helped to lessen the noise.

Given my choice, I would move a couple of cabins away from those facing directly into the elevator area. I would also avoid a cabin which is facing into the central stairway/elevator area since I expect that the central elevators/stairs get more use than the fore or aft ones do.

Hi,

Would noise be a problem if the cabin is right next to elevator? I wonder if I could hear the elevator bell all the time? This is on pacific princess. Don't know if bell volume is the same on all ships?

Thanks,

April

You don't say where your cabin is in relation to the elevator. When I was on the PP, I was struck by how small the elevator lobbies are compared to the other ships (well, duh, it's a smaller ship!) and how much closer the cabin doors for outside/balcony cabins were, usually right opposite the elevator lobby. In fact, I vividly recall staring right at the door to cabin 4018 as my elevator arrived and thinking, wow, I bet the people in that cabin can hear that "ding" quite clearly. There just isn't the separation as I seem to recall from other ships, where the cabin doors aren't generally right across from the entrance opening into the elevator lobby. Plus, the cabins on the PP don't have the hallway/foyer set-up as the big ships do, which means no buffer for noise from the hallway. All in all, I think I'd pick a different cabin if I could. If not, I'd just go in deciding not to let it bother me. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks,

April

Its not the elevators that make the noise its the people.

Thank you all for the reply. I really appreciate all of your valuable information. Some I've not realized until you mentioned, such as silent bell, small elevator lobby, people noise etc.

Hopefully Pacific Princess have quieter bell and considerable fellow cruisers.

April

We were quite a ways down the hall on the Crown or Emerald Baltic cruise which was in July. There were a bunch of teens-20's that would congregate in front of the elevators and make a lot of noise. They pretended like they could not understand English when I asked them to please move on. The parents had put themselves in the suites on the aft and the "kids" who also included younger kids were in the cabins by us and left alone all evening and night. The only night it was quiet was the one where they all missed the boat at a port!!