No assigned cabin yet. When to worry?

CaliforniaAC

We are sailing with you!!! Will be VERY curious when you are assigned a cabin and if you get any upgrades! *crossing fingers* Last time I looked, there were a lot of Suites available!!!! So maybe.... :rolleyes:

We shall see. Whatever happens....

I have been reading all of this because we do not have our cabin assignment either and we leave in 3 days. We are on the Oosterdam and had a VF cabin that we picked out. All of a sudden the SZ guarantee cabins were only 200 pp more than what we paid for the VF so we jumped on it. Hope I did the right thing!!! So now we are waiting patiently. Our cruise is one week from tomorrow but we are leaving early.

Happy cruising to everybody!

Sound like a great pricing on that upsell!

Enjoy!!!!!

We got our cabin assignment today.

We have always booked verandah staterooms on the Vista class ships. This will be our first ocean view cabin on a Vista.

When you book a guarantee on a category, you do so with the full understanding that you will be given that category, or higher.

This is the first time any of this has ever happened to us. We have been assigned one of the very low end H cabins.

I called HAL right away because my Travel Agent is on a transatlantic right now, and they told me what I knew that they would. Sorry, we're all full, there is nothing we can do.

So, there ya go. Oddly enough, I could have picked a better H cabin, but I thought because there are only a few that are square in the center of the life boat, that we probably would not be placed in one.

The hard part about it is that about a month ago, my travel agent called them for me because we had not been assigned our cabin, and on a back to back, our experience has been that they are assigned early, so that if they do not sell as back to backs, they can be sold as separate voyages.

The lady she spoke with at Holland America told her that we were in line for an upgrade, and that we would be very pleased with our room, and not to worry.

I have to believe that the reason they waited until 4 days before boarding to tell us where the room would be was because they are not going to do anything about it. They waited long enought that there was nothing we could do about it.

All in all, even if I don't like this, we are getting what we paid for. HAL has treated us very well many times. We are very close to being 4 Star Mariners. We are also very blessed to be able to go on this cruise, and we intend to enjoy ourselves, the beautiful ship, and the beautiful caribbean:)

From now on, I will only book the minimum that I will be happy with, and I will pick my room.

I do also want to note that when we get off of the Noordam, we are getting on the Caribbean Princess, and they upgraded us from an Oceanview to a Deluxe Balcony. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to spend this time away.

Again, I am not faulting HAL in any way, I just wish they would have handled this better, and when my Travel Agent called them a month ago.

Very sorry to hear this, and understand your disappointment. With guarantees you win some and lose some. We never really know what will happen. After a long string of upgrades, we had a cruise when we stayed right with what we had booked, and it was a bit of a disappointment. Like you though, we knew when we booked it that it might very well be what we ended up with and we were ok with it.

Very surprised someone told your TA a month ago that you were in line for an upgrade and would be very happy with it.

Thank you for letting us know how this all turned out, I'm sorry it wasn't the way you'd hoped. :(

We got our cabin assignment today.

We have always booked verandah staterooms on the Vista class ships. This will be our first ocean view cabin on a Vista.

When you book a guarantee on a category, you do so with the full understanding that you will be given that category, or higher.

This is the first time any of this has ever happened to us. We have been assigned one of the very low end H cabins.

I called HAL right away because my Travel Agent is on a transatlantic right now, and they told me what I knew that they would. Sorry, we're all full, there is nothing we can do.

So, there ya go. Oddly enough, I could have picked a better H cabin, but I thought because there are only a few that are square in the center of the life boat, that we probably would not be placed in one.

The hard part about it is that about a month ago, my travel agent called them for me because we had not been assigned our cabin, and on a back to back, our experience has been that they are assigned early, so that if they do not sell as back to backs, they can be sold as separate voyages.

The lady she spoke with at Holland America told her that we were in line for an upgrade, and that we would be very pleased with our room, and not to worry.

I have to believe that the reason they waited until 4 days before boarding to tell us where the room would be was because they are not going to do anything about it. They waited long enought that there was nothing we could do about it.

All in all, even if I don't like this, we are getting what we paid for. HAL has treated us very well many times. We are very close to being 4 Star Mariners. We are also very blessed to be able to go on this cruise, and we intend to enjoy ourselves, the beautiful ship, and the beautiful caribbean:)

From now on, I will only book the minimum that I will be happy with, and I will pick my room.

I do also want to note that when we get off of the Noordam, we are getting on the Caribbean Princess, and they upgraded us from an Oceanview to a Deluxe Balcony. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to spend this time away.

Again, I am not faulting HAL in any way, I just wish they would have handled this better, and when my Travel Agent called them a month ago.

After I posted this, I found out there was more to the story. I have to set this right, because I didn't have all the details.

I got an email from my Travel Agent, that she received an offer for an upgrade.

So, she emailed her Supervisor, who emailed HAL, and they had sold out on the upgrades, it looks like, within minutes of sending that email out.

So, HAL did offer us a paid upgrade today, and the lady at HAL my Travel Agent spoke with was telling my Travel Agent the truth. I looks like we were in line for an upgrade. It just plain old didn't work out.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to set this straight.

AC:o

We moved from inside to VH guarantee on Eurodam for the same cost of our inside. Never did a guarantee but our cabin is not a big deal, so we will see what we get and will really be happy with. The one thing always surprises me, even though California AC said very nice things, is about thinking HAL did something at last minute so you had no other choice. Sorry if I misunderstood wrong. I am sorry, but think HAL and other cruise lines are too busy to play little games like that for one person, especially someone that is such a frequent cruiser with them. As my favorite football coach John Fox always said-'it is what it is!' At the end of the day, we are all blessed to be able to cruise. Wishing you all great cruising.

After I posted this, I found out there was more to the story. I have to set this right, because I didn't have all the details.

So, she emailed her Supervisor, who emailed HAL, and they had sold out on the upgrades, it looks like, within minutes of sending that email out.

So, HAL did offer us a paid upgrade today, and the lady at HAL my Travel Agent spoke with was telling my Travel Agent the truth. I looks like we were in line for an upgrade. It just plain old didn't work out.

Sorry you had to wait so long for a mediocre cabin. When it comes to upsells time is of the essence. That's why I have zero interest in dealing with a TA. I saw that you mentioned on Princess you were upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony. I find on HAL those upgrades don't happen often unless you book at the top of a category. In that case it's not much more to go to the next category. On Princess I refuse to do a guarantee because I always get a sucky room on the aloha deck where it is really noisy. I hope your upgrade was to a quieter deck. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for the added info. I agree with Cruz Chic, this is the biggest reason we don't deal with TAs (the middle person). By the time the offer trickles down to you it is gone.

We also book the top of categories and have had good luck with that (except once).

We got our cabin assignment today and we are in 5002. Now, I do not like being in a handicap room because it makes me feel like I am taking a room someone else would need and it also makes me feel older. I know that is all in my mind but in a few years we will be there. However, think of the view that we are going to have. Yes, it might be rough at times and hubby can get sea sick but I will watch the waves and he can take a nap!!

So, someone tell me what you think of the cabin, please.

Now that I am looking at the lay out of the ship will we be able to see out the front windows or is it all blocked and only see out the side window for 5002 on the Oosterdam?

Thanks for any answers.

Sorry about this guarentee, it should have worked out better for you! However, I am so confused with your terminology.

You were waiting for an ASSIGNMENT on a guarentee booking.

You were hoping for a complimentary UPGRADE. You could have had a paid UPSELL, but the timing didn't work out.

Thanks for setting things straight. Have a great cruise!!

Now that I am looking at the lay out of the ship will we be able to see out the front windows or is it all blocked and only see out the side window for 5002 on the Oosterdam?

Thanks for any answers.

I'd be very happy with that assignment. This is much better than your original VF and the upsell was much better priced than booking the SZ category, no doubt.

The cabin is huge and you will have a great view. Might be a bit bouncy, but you'll know you're on a ship. Have a super time!