who's been on a Cruise to Norway?

Bently57

Thinking of doing this in 2015. Is July better than August? Any info is appreciated. The ship is Caribbean Princess which I have been on several times. not my fave but definitely not my least fave ship. We normally do a mini suite but for this I doubt we will be in the room that much, so probably a balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thinking of doing this in 2015. Is July better than August? Any info is appreciated. The ship is Caribbean Princess which I have been on several times. not my fave but definitely not my least fave ship. We normally do a mini suite but for this I doubt we will be in the room that much, so probably a balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Either would be fine. Weather in that part of the world is fairly unpredictable.

We were just there for 16 days on Ocean Princess in June. A fantastic cruise though I noticed that Ocean did a longer itinerary than the larger ships did. We went all the way to Spitsbergen at over 79 degrees north. Being June and the summer solstice we had no sunsets for 8 or 10 days, an amazing adventure.

Then we stayed onboard for 14 days in the Baltic.

Terry

Norway one of our all time hits. Much warmer than expected in Sept. Layer layer layer. Spent more time than I thought we would on the balcony watching the coast line. The port were all amazing. Olso HOHF bus was a nightmare chose the wrong company and they didn't run enough buses. big red was not a good choice looked like the biggest one but sadly not. And if you are not aware the prices are high. They only use a Pin and Chip credit cards which we got from Andrew credit union w/o a fee.

I did it this past June. It was the summer Solstice cruise. It was 12 days and went above the Artic circle. It went from Southampton to Bergen ,Hellesylt, Geiranger, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Stavanger, then back to Southampton. I would describe it as the MOST SCENIC cruise I have ever taken.. Every port was stunning. It was cold though with one or two ports above the Artic circle having temps no higher then 43 degrees. But no complaints from me about the cold. Just bring a hat, gloves, jacket and a warm scarf and you will be fine. LOVED this cruise. Oh, we did this cruise as a back to back, first doing the British Isle cruise then this one.

Beauty1492, did you find that you couldn't use a credit card in Norway that did not have chip and pin technology? I still have the old style credit cards, and so far haven't had a problem using them in Europe. Times may be changing, though.

We did Iceland and Norway on QE2 in early Agust 2008. Weather was chilly, high 50s, low 60s much of the time. Dress in layers, expect some rain. Visited three ports in Iceland, plus Geiranger, Flaam, Stavanger, Oslo. EM

Beauty1492, did you find that you couldn't use a credit card in Norway that did not have chip and pin technology? I still have the old style credit cards, and so far haven't had a problem using them in Europe. Times may be changing, though.

We were in Oslo this year on a Baltic Cruise. You have to tell them as they are ringing up your purchase that you have to sign for your card as you do not have a PIN. They will run your card old school style then and you can sign...but you have to tell them.

I did it this past June. It was the summer Solstice cruise. It was 12 days and went above the Artic circle. It went from Southampton to Bergen ,Hellesylt, Geiranger, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Stavanger, then back to Southampton. I would describe it as the MOST SCENIC cruise I have ever taken.. Every port was stunning. It was cold though with one or two ports above the Artic circle having temps no higher then 43 degrees. But no complaints from me about the cold. Just bring a hat, gloves, jacket and a warm scarf and you will be fine. LOVED this cruise. Oh, we did this cruise as a back to back, first doing the British Isle cruise then this one.

We did it too; CB in 2012 and also in June. If Floridians survived, everyone will. :D

Got off the Royal Princess in August from a 11day Scandinavia & Russia cruise. The weather was 50-60degrees and in some port it was raining. I agree dress in layers and bring a rain jacket. We had no problems using our credit card without a PIN. The info I gathered on these boards before our trip is to inform the store your credit card is not a PIN type. Also you can't use the non PIN type card in a kiosk type transaction like at a train or ferry station so you must go to the attended window to get your ticket.

We did ours in July. Wonderful weather. We went coatless at several ports. One day rain. Up at the Cape very windy and cool and totally fogged in. But not "winter" weather. The drive up to the point was sooo scary.:eek:

The thing you need to pray for is SUN. It adds so much to the ports and views. We sat outside in Bergen and had a beer...we have no coats on in the pics. Gorgeous. We were very lucky and the pics we took look just like postcards.:)

We cruised out of Hamburg on Legend of the Seas mid August this year. 60% of trip was cloudy with some rain. Temps mid sixties to high fifties. Still a very amazing cruise. We did excursions every stop except Stavanger as I had family there. The Resistance museum in Oslo was Great and was right across the street from the ship. The Skaga Island trip through the tunnels was pretty neat as well.

Thanks everyone for your replies about how to use old style credit cards in Norway.

There is a good chance your old credit cards will be replaced with chip and pin cards before next summer. Many of the new cards are already being sent out. My debit cards (2 different banks) and 2 of my 3 credit cards (different banks) have already been replaced by the banks.

The pins are not yet activated so right now they are pin and signature which works fine in Europe. I visited Finland and Sweden (and Norway if you count the airport...I did use my card there) this past summer and used my pin and signature card for everything including unstaffed kiosks, ticket machines, etc. I did not have to tell anyone that I didn't have a pin, the credit card machines automatically printed a receipt to sign when my card was run (clearly my card told the machine I didn't have a pin). Unstaffed machines simply ran the charge without a pin or a signature. There were places where a magnetic strip card without a chip would not have worked.