Celiac/Gluten Free- RCCL says only main DR for food

lovewine

Help! I booked and paid in full for Oasis of the Seas and I was told before booking that eating gluten free would be no problem. We are diamond and have never had a problem with gf eating and when I went to book the specialty dining I was told that the only place that they could guarantee gf dining was in the main dining room. We enjoy specialty dining and would have booked another cruise line had we known that it would be a problem. We have done The Chef's Table on other cruise lines and they have always been very accommodating as well as at all of the specialty dining venues. When I reviewed the RCCL website and listened to this video it clearly states that they are able to accommodate gf in the main dining room, buffet and specialty restaurants but when I called to double check I was told " ONLY GF IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM COULD BE GUARANTEED! " Here is the link to the video from RCCL http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/295/royal-caribbeans-special-dietary-options-lactose-and-gluten-free-dishes-offer-more-choices/ . The representative that I spoke with was going to email the chef but since the chef's change and our cruise is not until January she could not be sure things would not change with a new chef. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

I did contact the special needs department and my first response was very generic and said that I had to wait until I arrived on board. I wanted to make my specialty dining reservations in advance so they were not full and I tried emailing the special needs department and received the same response. I called the special needs department and they are the ones that told me that I could only eat safely in the Main Dining Room.

I did contact the special needs department and my first response was very generic and said that I had to wait until I arrived on board. I wanted to make my specialty dining reservations in advance so they were not full and I tried emailing the special needs department and received the same response. I called the special needs department and they are the ones that told me that I could only eat safely in the Main Dining Room.

Then I would wait until you board to make specialty dining reservations. We've had very good luck getting the reservations we want if we go to the restaurant as soon as we board. This way you can ask specific questions about the food prep in that restaurant.

I must be gluten free the past three and half years and I have taken 8 cruises since and NEVER had any issue because all waiters are aware now what contains gluten and what doesn't and the menu's do have a symbol on the menu's that show whether a particular food item is gluten free, soy free, vegetarian, dairy free, etc.

At the buffet I would ask a worker and if they didn't know whether something contained gluten every time they would go to the chef or ask somebody and always gave me the right information.

I am not sure how long you have been gluten free, but in time you do realize what you can eat and what you can't at least its this way for me, I have some rules:

I order meat dishes and ask for no marinades

I order vegetables and eat veggies with no sauces or gravies

I stay away from all gravies and salad dressings but do use oil and vinegar in salads

I eat potatoes, rice, items that I know have no gluten in them, plain

I ask if they have any gluten free desserts...and at the buffet hint hint if ask somebody near the dessert buffet if you can have gluten free cookies, I was given snicker doodle cookies which are gluten free!

Every time on a cruise/restaurant I mention that I need to be gluten free, waiters generally are aware of the food and what they contain

I eat salads with no dressing other than oil and vinegar

Sorrentos has gluten free pizza its made to order

On the Allure this past May we only dined at the specialty restaurants and there were so many items gluten free on them to choose from, and you can mention at the time of making the reservations that you need to be gluten free. The only exception that I say do not waste your time going to is 150 Parc Place they were horrible, they did provide me gluten free items but they were from the MDR nothing special and nothing made to order for me don't waste your time or money going here, the food you get is nothing but from the MDR.

I never have any problems it just a matter of making it known that you need to be gluten free and also at the buffets ask the workers they will let you know what you can't eat. ;)

Edited by lyndamr

Help! I booked and paid in full for Oasis of the Seas and I was told before booking that eating gluten free would be no problem. We are diamond and have never had a problem with gf eating and when I went to book the specialty dining I was told that the only place that they could guarantee gf dining was in the main dining room. We enjoy specialty dining and would have booked another cruise line had we known that it would be a problem. We have done The Chef's Table on other cruise lines and they have always been very accommodating as well as at all of the specialty dining venues. When I reviewed the RCCL website and listened to this video it clearly states that they are able to accommodate gf in the main dining room, buffet and specialty restaurants but when I called to double check I was told " ONLY GF IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM COULD BE GUARANTEED! " Here is the link to the video from RCCL http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/295/royal-caribbeans-special-dietary-options-lactose-and-gluten-free-dishes-offer-more-choices/ . The representative that I spoke with was going to email the chef but since the chef's change and our cruise is not until January she could not be sure things would not change with a new chef. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

I don't know about any other specialty restaurants but we go to Giovanni's on every cruise and on their menu there are symbols to indicate that the dish is gluten-free. Chef's table maybe a little harder to do since it is a set sampling menu paired with wine. They will be able to accommodate you -- I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by nednrom

Here is a review from another poster .http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=247148

Another point on the GF issue. A friend has celiac and does get quite ill. The MDR has GF bread. But my friend said it (along w/ most GF bread) wasn't very good. She asked if they could toast it for her, as she felt that improved the texture. Amazingly they said they didn't have a toaster in the MDR kitchen but they would get a basket of GF bread toasted in the WJ and have it ready for her every evening. (traditional dining).

Another point on the GF issue. A friend has celiac and does get quite ill. The MDR has GF bread. But my friend said it (along w/ most GF bread) wasn't very good. She asked if they could toast it for her, as she felt that improved the texture. Amazingly they said they didn't have a toaster in the MDR kitchen but they would get a basket of GF bread toasted in the WJ and have it ready for her every evening. (traditional dining).

What the RCCL on board staff mostly likely meant by the saying that there was no toaster in the MDR kitchen was that there was no toaster dedicated for GF USE ONLY as cross contamination would be a main concern given that your friend has celiac disease.

Edited by xxoocruiser

They did that for my mom on the Allure, as well. They were incredibly accommodating. They even made her a special dessert every night.

Sailed GF on Oasis in September. Ate in Giovanni's, 150 Central Park and Solarium Bistro. Everything is in the blog in my sig below.

Briefly. The bread is dire. They can get GF bagels toasted for you for breakfast. A chef in WJ will tell you what you can eat. You won't go hungry. I gained weight.... Really good GF pizza from Sorrento's. If you email them as above they will know you are coming when you book your specialty restaurant..... they did with me....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Just off the Navigator... No issues AT ALL with eating GF.... Even in Giovanni's Table (GF pasta) & Sabor (new Mexican restaurant)... They even brought me GF chips! Never had an issue at all. Ate in Chops on a previous sailing & again.... No issues. They just tweek your order a little to make it work. Don't worry. Make your reservations.... They will work with you.

The Main Dining room even made me GF gravy so I could have it on my Turkey! They subbed mashed potatoes for the dressing tho. The French Fries are coated with RICE flour.... So they are safe too.... Really don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SRV FAN

This past May on the Allure we only dined for dinner at specialty restaurants and NEVER a problem of being gluten free, there were choices at every restaurant for me to choose...with the exception of 150 Central Park they gave me food from the MDR but it was gluten free so I was fine...but I would not go back here as it cost money and I got nothing specially made for me there.

Thank You for all of the reassuring posts! I wish RCCL had employees in the special services area that know what actually happens on board. I would have cancelled our cruise based on what I was told. Thank you to all of my cruise critic posters for your assistance. I am now looking forward to a safe gluten free cruise not being stuck in the MDR for every meal.

Thank You for all of the reassuring posts! I wish RCCL had employees in the special services area that know what actually happens on board. I would have cancelled our cruise based on what I was told. Thank you to all of my cruise critic posters for your assistance. I am now looking forward to a safe gluten free cruise not being stuck in the MDR for every meal.

Just a thought..... I think the little savoury bites in the MDR are GF..... I believe they are made with potato flour..... now the Oasis waitstaff argued the point with me but I ate them and tolerated them fine..... of course there would be a risk of cross contamination..... I'm Gluten intolerant not celiac.... but when the bread is so bad it was wonderful to have something to nibble on at dinner.

Just a thought..... I think the little savoury bites in the MDR are GF..... I believe they are made with potato flour..... now the Oasis waitstaff argued the point with me but I ate them and tolerated them fine..... of course there would be a risk of cross contamination..... I'm Gluten intolerant not celiac.... but when the bread is so bad it was wonderful to have something to nibble on at dinner.

So far as we have seen, savoury bites and banana muffins are no more.......

We had a lady with special food needs on a recent cruise and she could eat in the WJ but she had a chef that over saw her food needs and would prepare her food for her. For the MDR she would call ahead and he would prepare it for when she arrived.

Edited by CVU

So far as we have seen, savoury bites and banana muffins are no more.........

We had savory bites on Navigator in September and Enchantment in October. However, I haven't seen cornbread in the MDR bread basket in quite some time.

We had savory bites on Navigator in September and Enchantment in October. However, I haven't seen cornbread in the MDR bread basket in quite some time.

Oh, well we have not seen them I don't think? all year. IOS, Radiance, Oasis and Serenade. No cornbread either, but we loved those little banana muffins.:(