Taking sandwich ashore

jantoby

From what I can tell, some ships don't like passengers making sandwiches in breakfast to take for lunch ashore. Does anyone know whether P&O - Ventura in particular - are picky about this or do I need to budget for paying for lunch ashore if I don't want to have to interrupt my day ashore go back to the ship for lunch?

From what I can tell, some ships don't like passengers making sandwiches in breakfast to take for lunch ashore. Does anyone know whether P&O - Ventura in particular - are picky about this or do I need to budget for paying for lunch ashore if I don't want to have to hinterrupt my day ashore go back to the ship for lunch?

you are not allowed to take food ashore so i'd be buying something ashore or come back to the ship for lunch

From what I can tell, some ships don't like passengers making sandwiches in breakfast to take for lunch ashore. Does anyone know whether P&O - Ventura in particular - are picky about this or do I need to budget for paying for lunch ashore if I don't want to have to interrupt my day ashore go back to the ship for lunch?

I don't expect that it's encouraged but I have never seen anything that says you cannot and I don't know of anyone who has been stopped from doing it.

Some countries but not all do not like you taking food ashore but to be honest I wouldnt want a sandwich made up hours earlier and carried around with me in a warm climate I would rather buy something fresh ashore or wait until I got back onboard. Even if I missed lunch altogether it wouldnt be the end of the world considering the amount of food that is available and eaten on a cruise.

My recommendation is to have a big breakfast, which normally lasts us until dinner. But if you are starving when you get back on board there are enough eateries to satisfy most appetites.

Is the answer for most but some, for various reasons, might need to eat between.

Don't be obvious and, yes, you can take food off the ship, in most places there are no sniffer dogs waiting. New Zealand though, there will be.

Then, OP, in most places basic sustenance can be found for little cost.

Perhaps you're looking for full value from your cruise?

Why not take a piece of fruit ashore if you must!

Try telling all those disembarking at Southampton at breakfast who "pack up" for their homeward trek that the practice is discouraged.

I was truly astounded on my first cruise how much was was being packed away in plastic containers.

Talk about getting your money's worth.

I do it frequently. It's not banned, not in most European ports anyway. It's not mean - who is it supposed to be mean to? It means you can spend time enjoying the place rather than the food, if that's your preference. It's not a problem.

I wouldn't make it too obvious. We have a light breakfast in our cabin, however I will go to the buffet to stock up on British sausages and bread rolls, oh not forgetting the HP. The sausages buns we make are traded with the sunbed hirers (who just love them) as well as providing midday sustenance.

Cb

We have taken biscuits from the cabin, sweets we've brought with us and fruit from the buffet when ashore for a full day, for our children, because they both suffered from a severe food allergy which could have potentially fatal consequences were they to eat something that contained the allergen in a non-obvious form.

However, in the last year they have both been tested and are no longer allergic, so we are really looking forward to being able to sample local cuisines, even if it's just coffee and a piece of cake, when we go ashore with them.

To be honest I don't have much appetite at lunchtime in a hot climate and after a good breakfast before leaving the ship am quite happy to go through until dinner.

I've neveer understeod why its considered 'mean' to take one roll or piece of fruit from the buffet, but perfectly OK to eat plate after heaped plateful while you are there :rolleyes:

Im generally not hungry after breakfast and dont want to waste precious time ashore stopping to fine something to eat. So its a nibble on the go, and when Im back on board a snack from the buffet.

The biscuits on the tea tray in your cabin make a perfect snack to take ashore.

Well if it sounds mean I don't really care but we made rolls up and took them with us. Mainly as we didn't want to waste time looking for a place to eat and because there's nothing worse than a small child wanting food and nothing being immediately available. Do what you want to do and don't kept others put you off!

Am I the only one to mention that surely a 'pack-up' made early morning to take ashore on a hot Caribbean island, would been soggy and sweaty by lunch time? Yuck not something I would do. Similar to people who sit in the airport with their own sarnies!!!! Your on holiday - enjoy it :)

Try telling all those disembarking at Southampton at breakfast who "pack up" for their homeward trek that the practice is discouraged.

I was truly astounded on my first cruise how much was was being packed away in plastic containers.

Talk about getting your money's worth.

It astounds me that people do this...tight as a wotsit's wotsit if you ask me ;)