Taking sandwich ashore

jantoby

[quote name='rockdoctor']After seeing sniffer dogs in action, I don't do it.[/quote]

Amazing dogs aren't they. Not a cruise but our last visit to New Zealand, in Auckland baggage claim, little spaniel gives a positive response to my wife's hand baggage. Handler asks my wife why and wife remembers the bag had contained a banana, eaten back in Hong Kong a day or two before.
Spaniel gets a pat and treat from handler. Everyone's happy.

[quote name='GUT2407']AS Ithink someone else indicated n some locations you can't take any (unpackaged) foods off the ship. Though as you are asking about P&O (UK) you are possibly OK but I must stress that in some places [Australia being one] it is a BIG no no.[/QUOTE]

It's a big NO NO with most countries but some are less vigilant in policing it than others. Those that are stricter in enforcing it do so usually because the risks to their environment and farming economies are greater.

The ship when clearing entry formalities must normally declare that they have made [U]suitable arrangements [/U]for the disposal of waste including waste foods that they may be putting ashore. They are also normally required to warn passengers and crew that foodstuffs are not to be taken ashore hence the warning by P&O.

So don't be a skinflint you've already spent thousands on a cruise holiday why put the local communities at risk for the sake of saving a couple of pounds. If you really can't go more than a few hours between meals then put something back into the local community that you are visiting by buying in the local shops and enjoy the culture and cuisine of wherever you are visiting.

Show some respect for the country that you are visiting after all you have been invited to visit as a guest and you would hope that others treat our country with the same respect.

In a similar vein I often watch T.V. shows where border agencies in various countries intercept passengers trying to smuggle food into countries at airports despite numerous warnings. I have to say that I have absolutely no sympathy for those caught and personally I would prosecute every one of them and put them straight back on the plane to the country from whence they have just departed. That's how strongly I feel about the matter. Edited by AchileLauro

Good grief, are we still talking about this.

[B]OP[/B], if you want to take sandwiches off the ship then do so; [B]BUT[/B] check beforehand if you are allowed to take foodstuffs off the ship at the port in question.

Simple.

[quote name='Turbofun']Amazing dogs aren't they. Not a cruise but our last visit to New Zealand, in Auckland baggage claim, little spaniel gives a positive response to my wife's hand baggage. Handler asks my wife why and wife remembers the bag had contained a banana, eaten back in Hong Kong a day or two before.
Spaniel gets a pat and treat from handler. Everyone's happy.[/QUOTE]

Unlike the chap we heard about who was (according to the staff member giving the excursion talks ) fined £1000 for having a banana in his rucksack. I doubt he was happy.

I don't know if it is the same today but years back in Australia they had border control check points between some states (states not countries) to prevent the carriage of certain food stuffs between states and the possible spread of diseases that could affect agriculture. Wow betide anyone trying to smuggle prohibited items through, their feet wouldn't touch the ground.

[quote name='babs135']Good grief, are we still talking about this.

[B]OP[/B], if you want to take sandwiches off the ship then do so; [B]BUT[/B] check beforehand if you are allowed to take foodstuffs off the ship at the port in question.

Simple.[/quote]

Even though the website clearly says you can't?

:confused:

[quote name='Lovemychoos']Even though the website clearly says you can't?

:confused:[/QUOTE]

I was merely trying to bring this thread to its natural end.

BTW I've been in hotels with clear signs that state that food should not be taken from the dining room and watched people making up sandwiches and quite blatantly taking them out. Never seen anyone stopped. Rules are rules, but in some cases.......

[quote name='babs135']I was merely trying to bring this thread to its natural end.

BTW I've been in hotels with clear signs that state that food should not be taken from the dining room and watched people making up sandwiches and quite blatantly taking them out. Never seen anyone stopped. Rules are rules, but in some cases.......[/QUOTE]

Food isn't being taken from a hotel dinning room into another country normally so slightly different.

[quote name='AchileLauro']Food isn't being taken from a hotel dinning room into another country normally so slightly different.[/QUOTE]

Was tempted to reply that the sandwich could be made in somewhere like Torremolinos and then eaten in Gibraltar, which clearly is another country; but I won't:D

[quote name='Sealoveragain']Ah! Don't you realise rules are only for 'other' people.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I do tend to agree with you and perhaps this thread, considering its importance, should have ended naturally some time ago. It might be that time was about #28 when I asked. "....when does it become stealing?"

Since then I have been amazed by the comments and excuses of some who seem to be trying to justify their actions. Plates filled high by the greedy in the restaurant, nowhere to eat on beaches, I want to spend maximum time sightseeing and I have paid for the food. All pretty lame duck excuses in my opinion. As for greed in the restaurant, yes there probably is, but also some young people eat more than older people. But they are all eating in the restaurant, and this is outweighed by the greed to save a few pence by those taking food out, for whatever reason they can think of - which presumably the rest of us pay for at the end of the day. As for those taking food on the final day to eat on the way home, I am gobsmacked, I assume some will think they have paid for that as well. One can imagine the next step, I am removing the auto-tip to give out envelopes. This could be construed as I only want to give to those I have seen, blow the rest, and I can give less. We have also seen them not turning up for dinner on the last evening. Where does a simple thing like taking food from the restaurant end - the reason for#28.

I am old enough (yawn) to remember when people tended to keep to rules, regulations, authority and laws. Sadly it seems that today's greed is 'self, self, and more self. There seems to be no self discipline amongst some. I do hope I don't meet them on board. I can hear them saying, well don't cruise then, to further their 'self' image.

RJC, couldn't agree more, except about the tips. Until recently we always removed the autotip and used envelopes, just because we prefer it, but having had loads of OBC recently, we left the tips on. However, all the people on our tables gave envelopes out on the last night and we were left thinking are they giving extra or did they remove their tips. We felt as though we should be giving an envelope as well! We did actually tip our cabin steward a bit extra because he was so good, but not at the table. It seems if you leave the auto-tip in place, you have to give extra as well.

[quote name='jeanlyon']RJC, couldn't agree more, except about the tips. Until recently we always removed the autotip and used envelopes, just because we prefer it, but having had loads of OBC recently, we left the tips on. However, all the people on our tables gave envelopes out on the last night and we were left thinking are they giving extra or did they remove their tips. We felt as though we should be giving an envelope as well! We did actually tip our cabin steward a bit extra because he was so good, but not at the table. It seems if you leave the auto-tip in place, you have to give extra as well.[/QUOTE]

Hi jeanlyon - we have the same embarrassment as you over envelopes when you have auto-tipped, particularly when on Cunard and there are lots of Americans throwing tips at people. We have become a bit hardened to it and don't leave envelopes with extra cash unless we have had exceptional service and that is generally only for the cabin person. I talked to a Maitre d' about it and he told me that it wasn't necessary to tip extra if you have auto-tipped. If you believe what you read the staff know if you have auto-tipped or not, although the embarrassment is with table colleagues.

The Maitre d' also told me that he was regularly given an envelope which embarrassed him because he was salaried and would prefer them to be given to the poorly paid staff. He didn't turn them down however!

[quote name='babs135']Good grief, are we still talking about this.

Simple.[/quote]

I agree with you and I would suggest that the OP disregards the ridiculous comments made by some who profess to have such high morality and integrity.

[quote name='dgs1956']I agree with you and I would suggest that the OP disregards the ridiculous comments made by some who profess to have such high morality and integrity.[/QUOTE]

Is that because they do not agree with you by any chance?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So this thread is still going...

Would some of the 'lunch ashore' brigade explain to me how they manage to fit this in to a busy schedule ashore? Like Copenhagen where we did a four hour walking tour plus an hours walk to and from the ship? No opportunity to find a supermarket to buy one cereal bar or one bread roll, even if I'd wanted to. Not to mention it would require arranging to have small change in local currency in every port!. I must be missing something :D

Im beginning to suspect the 'lunch ashore-rs' are those you see getting of the ship just after breakfast, going into the nearest place they can find for lunch, then getting back on board AND DOING NOTHING ELSE.

Just bear in mind if you are this type and ever go on holiday with a 'lunch skipper' you will annoy and disgust us hugely.

I am with those that think it is "cheap" to take lunch ashore and would always grab a snack or lunch ashore or have a late lunch when I get back on the ship if there is really no opportunity to eat. Sea green - you obviously have much more stamina than me - walking 6 hours without a break is not my idea of fun and I would be looking for at least a sit down and a drink in the middle of all that.

Its no wonder that cruise passengers are "hated" in many ports - many add nothing at all to the local economy.

Personally I have never seen anyone pack a lunch on the last day but no doubt it does happen

Well this thread goes on and on, quite the most 'popular' one on the first page, and it certainly polarises opinion.
I suspect I might be the only Daily Mail reader not to agree with blindly following rules and petty regulations, even if I don't normally take food ashore.
It will be very interesting to see just how far this thread can go before it runs out of steam, and hot air.