New way to keep in touch on board?

finest14

I've seen several mentions on this board about the Ripple cruise communicator and how it doesn't seem to work. I found a product call gotenna that's essentially a radio antenna that connects to your phone via Bluetooth. Using their app, you can then send text messages between devices connected to a gotenna. They designed the product for people in the wilderness with no connectivity and for disaster situations where service goes down.

I emailed the company and asked if they thought their product would work on a cruise ship and they said, while they haven't tested it, they are sure it would. At $150 for two antennas it isn't cheap, but in the long run might prove to be worth it. FYI, I have absolutely no connection to this company and just stumbled across their product online. Just curious what others thought.

Edited by finest14

Considering the finished product doesn't exist yet, they can tell you it works with almost anything. The company hasn't even locked in a release date yet. Caveat emptor:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've seen several mentions on this board about the Ripple cruise communicator and how it doesn't seem to work. I found a product call gotenna that's essentially a radio antenna that connects to your phone via Bluetooth. Using their app, you can then send text messages between devices connected to a gotenna. They designed the product for people in the wilderness with no connectivity and for disaster situations where service goes down.

I emailed the company and asked if they thought their product would work on a cruise ship and they said, while they haven't tested it, they are sure it would. At $150 for two antennas it isn't cheap, but in the long run might prove to be worth it. FYI, I have absolutely no connection to this company and just stumbled across their product online. Just curious what others thought.

Classic response!

Agree to their contract and then find out it really doesn't work so you are out of $150.

###

Well considering it seems that this gadget is still under development and hasn't been trialed on a ship, would I throw $150 at it....shakehead.gif

Would I pay $1 for ripple if it was going to work?

Maybe, I've never had any problems contacting anyone when I'm cruising so I'm not sure.

Without a doubt many would.

The thing that really worries me is the number of phones going beep ... beep ... beep all the time, how can we ensure that they are off during shows and in the dining rooms?

Essentially, this product functions like a radio transmitter. There are all sorts of compatibility issues with bringing a transmitter on board. Particularly one that has not been tested on a ship. In addition, some countries frown on unapproved radio transmitters. IOW, you could get in big trouble. And, with all the reports of how poorly the walkie talkie works on ship, I would be very skeptical.

Essentially, this product functions like a radio transmitter. There are all sorts of compatibility issues with bringing a transmitter on board. Particularly one that has not been tested on a ship. In addition, some countries frown on unapproved radio transmitters. IOW, you could get in big trouble. And, with all the reports of how poorly the walkie talkie works on ship, I would be very skeptical.

Skepticism is very warranted in this case. All this company has right now is a prototype, that they're trying to market to hopefully drum up enough interest to take it into production. IMO, what is currently on their website has to be considered "vaporware" and taken with a substantial grain of salt until they actually deliver a finished product that can actually be tested.

My husband and I just love to be with each other and enjoy the journey together. In other words, we tend to do things together. We must be unique! [emoji4]

My wife and I are the same way.Thats why we got Married 30 years ago was to journey thru life together.:)

We will be using the RoyaliQ app, I'm not sure if its on any other ships other than the Quantum. We used Norweigan's app on the Breakaway and it was wonderful! Traveling with a family (able bodied or not) we seemed to always be going in different directions at times for some one-on-one time with the kids. The first few days the app wasn't working and it was pretty hard to find my son and husband at times as I toted my young daughter.

We will be using the RoyaliQ app, I'm not sure if its on any other ships other than the Quantum. We used Norweigan's app on the Breakaway and it was wonderful! Traveling with a family (able bodied or not) we seemed to always be going in different directions at times for some one-on-one time with the kids. The first few days the app wasn't working and it was pretty hard to find my son and husband at times as I toted my young daughter.

Were you required to have an internet package to use the App?

• 1 year later...