Navigator: what should we bring--clock, nightlight, etc.?

OctoberKat

I've been alternately amusing and horrifying myself over-indulging in the threads here on CC. So much advice, some of it contradictory. I'm convinced on the coffee issue (let's please not rehash that just now) so we're bringing our fave Guatemalan (Huehuetenango) and the thermal Melitta set and will rely on butler service for hot water and half 'n half.

But, what about a clock for the suite (we're in master suite 901 on Navigator)? Others advise bringing a nightlight. We're not especially high maintenance but the beloved is a bit fussy-wussy and we're both older than we used to be (no doubt others here grow younger, heh). I am counting on getting my hair done a couple of times during the ten-day cruise; planning to have laundry done but not by me. Jim needs to eat at regular intervals but I'm confident that will be, er, smooth sailing.

No duct tape, thanks, nor highlighter, not even a back-of-the-door hanging shoe storage gizmo.

In case anyone doesn't know by now, we're newbies to cruising but very enthusiastic nonetheless.

Edited by OctoberKat

There is an alarm clock in all suites. I think that a nightlight is a great idea. We have tried various things. I have a tiny flashlight that I keep by the bed so I can see. We have also left the light on in the extra bathroom with the door barely open. A nightlight would be the best solution (although we have yet to try it).

In terms of eating at regular times, just in case you need food, room service is available 24/7. Do hope you have breakfast in your suite at least one morning. You will feel pampered.

It has been a few years since we were in a Master Suite on Navigator, so my memory of clock or no clock would be moot. I always take my bedside clock because it has a white noise function that I like, I'm a light sleeper. The only plug in the bathroom was for a razor only, so you can't plug a night light in there. I took small flashlights for night use.

Enjoy!

It has been a few years since we were in a Master Suite on Navigator, so my memory of clock or no clock would be moot. I always take my bedside clock because it has a white noise function that I like, I'm a light sleeper. The only plug in the bathroom was for a razor only, so you can't plug a night light in there. I took small flashlights for night use.

Enjoy!

Thank you, Pam. Good to know. Jim and I both use CPAP machines and always travel with extension cords therefore. Anything we need to know about outlets in that regard? Cheers!

Enjoy!

While the plug in the bathroom does say razor only, that is to keep people from plugging in anything that draws a lot of current. A nite light draws much less current than any razor and I have used that plug for my nite light many times without any issues. Really the best place to put the nite light.

Others advise bringing a nightlight. We're not especially high maintenance but the beloved is a bit fussy-wussy and we're both older than we used to be (no doubt others here grow younger, heh).

For a night light I go to the Dollar store and buy some battery operated tea lights; they come two in a package so I buy a couple of packages. When you turn them on, put them in an empty water glass in the bathroom. There is just enough light for those middle-of-the night trips. When it starts to fade, you can just throw it away.

Other things I have found useful:

a collapsible laundry hamper; which you can also find in the Dollar store. It folds up very compactly and after the cruise I just left it in the suite.

a small can of room deodorizer for the bathroom.

a highlighter for highlighting in Passages what I want to do (so I don't forget!)

a small first aid kit with band-aids, first aid ointment, mole skin (for blisters), aspirin, Alka Seltzer, etc.

Jim needs to eat at regular intervals but I'm confident that will be, er, smooth sailing.

You can order room service any time of the day or night. There is no wanting of food.

Edited by DixieDeer

For an alarm clock, I always travel with a small (about 2.5 inch square) battery operated travel clock. It has a light that comes on when you push a button on the top of the clock so you can see what time it is during the night (if you push the button).

I never rely on clocks on board or in hotel rooms for a wakeup. Too many have their own peculiarities when it comes to setting an alarm and I have never seen instructions in a hotel room. I don't recall what Regent has in the room, but I haven't relied on it for wake up calls.

You can, of course, ask for a wake up call, but I always feel more comfortable using my travel clock as a backup. Most drugstores or travel stores have inexpensive travel alarms. If you get one make sure it has some kind of folding case or mechanism so the alarm switch can't accidentally be turned on when it is jostled in a suitcase.

magnets . . . .

haha, please tell, Peggy and others, you put a clock magnet on the wall? I am paranoid about alarm clocks outside the one I have at home. I don't trust the ones on my iPad or my iPhone Sometimes, I think they are set, and they just don't go off. My fault, I'm sure. I need a back up real clock in the room that tells me what time it is. I hate that bedside thing.

Love, love the collapsible hampers, I had forgotten about those. We take them on girls' trips, in the car and in the air; they are so very convenient!

I took a hefty surge protector/extension cord because I never thought I'd have enough electrical outlets. After all, I had to charge my phone, my camera, then heat my curling iron while I used the other desk outlet for my hair drier. My favorites now look like little men; there's a head, two arms and two legs. I guess that keeps the outlets from being to cramped up on top of each other. I always, always overpacked in that area. You will have two nice=sized rooms with plenty of space, but back in the bedroom, in the little area between the dressing table and the bed, you would find Pam's stash of everything she was totally convinced she couldn't exist for ten minutes without.

That is a newsflash about the night lights. With Mark gone now, I don't know if I will ever be able to choke up the 100% single supplement, but if I do I'll know about a nightlight.

Thank you, rallydave, useful. Yay nightlight.

I've heard enough here to know I will appreciate having my own alarm clock, so CHECK on that.

Pam, sad to know Mark travels with you no longer, my sympathies. Hope we meet up at some point.

We are minimal in terms of clothes and I'm all in favor of having laundry done, a luxury I am happy to pay for.

I've heard enough here to know I will appreciate having my own alarm clock, so CHECK on that.

One thing to remember with your own clock is to make sure that you change the time as the ship goes through the various time zones, not sure if your cabin steward/ess will do this for you.

Agree with you on the laundry, you have paid your hard earned to go on a holiday, why do your own laundry, the cost is not too bad, a lot cheaper than in a 4 star hotel.

A power board from your home country with a travel adapter is also a good idea, that way you have the power points you need for your own devices, equipment, without the need for multiple travel adapters!!

I take an alarm clock with a ceiling time projector. I usually put it on the make-up table and shine it up above the bed. It is not bright enough for a night light. The clock has a thermometer too.

The regular NAV cabins have a night light in the floor by the bathroom door. It has been several year since I was in a NAV master suite and I do not remember the layout, but I think there is a floor nightlight there also.

Also, to add to Dave's comment above the plug in the bathroom for the razor will take a small nite lite, although I have had some of the stewardesses tell me it was not allowed. This bathroom plug is also convenient for charging my toothbrush. You could use it for your phone or camera charger, but anything more than 60 watts and it will not work.

Here is a projection clock from Brrokstone:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJls_D2VZewvBqx0jGfrVy6-aiRnUIADz5yLdBUkrTJqrBswXl

j

I leave bathroom light on and door ajar as nite light. I always have a flashlight in case of ship power failure. I have reception ring my suite instead of clock but they are ALWAYS on time in my experience.

Bon Voyage!

I bought some inexpensive magnets at Target and I post the various invitations that come along onto the back of the door so as not to forget.

We also use a highlighter to mark up Passages (the daily program) with activities we do not want to miss

We each have a flashlight next to our bed in the event of a power outage

You mentioned that you each have a CPAP machine - depending on the set-up of the room, make sure that your extension cord is long enough and UL listed, the outlet is usually by the desk.

I know you mentioned that you plan to send out your laundry - we are platinum so laundry service is complimentary, but we still do our delicate, not to go into the dryer stuff ourselves. We bring the laundry bags used to hold delicate items. We also bring fabric softener dryer sheets for items that we need to wash ourselves for whatever reason. We also have a Tide stain stick and Shout wipes, in the event something gets a stain.

We also have a small tote bag that we use to carry things around the ship, whether it be the latest book we are reading, our needlepoint project or whatever.

We also travel with disposable toilet cover seats and Purell sanitizing hand wipes for those rest stops that do not have the cleanest facilities.

gnomie :)

Some good items mentioned. Since you will be in a Master Suite, don't worry about plugs but may need an extension cord or two. Also, you will receive a Regent bag to carry things around. We get them every time we cruise. I end up giving them away to some one we meet on board. We send everything to the laundry and it comes back fine.

For those of us in northern climes it is wise to turn off the water - if pipes freeze and burst can be BIG Trouble! I turn my heat down to 55 degrees and still turn off the water - "belt and suspenders."