Recent cruise reviews

PurpleMoonlight

P&O appear to be taking somewhat of a beating in the reviews at the moment. I'm on Oriana over Christmas, and to be honest it's got me a little concerned.

I wonder if it's a case of those who are unhappy making it known, and those who are happy not doing so, or is there some systemic downward trend in the P&O service?

We are just back off the Oriana on Thursday and had a fantastic time. The waiters served us in the conservatory for the first 2 days following the previous noro outbreak on the ship but okay after that. We never encountered any plumbing problems ourselves although a few public toilets were out of order on occasions. Good entertainment with possibly one of the best headliners we have seen. Carpet fitters were on board and it looks like a full refit throughout the ship as working none stop.

I don't think it's just P&O that has been having bad reviews recently. Most lines have had their share of reported falling standards.

There seems to be an increasing number of people who want to pay as little as possible but still receive 6 star service. When you look at the cost of cruise holidays they have not increased in price much over the past few years. It follows, that in the economic situation that we are in, all businesses will find somewhere to make savings, or go under.

Yes I agree that the food on P&O is not as good as it was 3 years ago but at the same time I have found little to complain about and if I did the waiters were quick to bring me an alternative.

I've read about surly waiters, but generally found people respond to a smile and an interest in them. If not ask to sit elsewhere.

This is just my experience and yes, there will be some people who have a genuine complaint and not just unrealistic expectations. I think you have hit the nail on the head when you wonder if only the people with a complaint write about it and there are many more thinking what a wonderful holiday they've had.

We were on Oriana earlier this year and had no problems either with the cabin plumbing or with the service. Go ahead and look forward to your holiday I'm sure you will have a good time.

I don't think it's just P&O that has been having bad reviews recently. Most lines have had their share of reported falling standards.

There seems to be an increasing number of people who want to pay as little as possible but still receive 6 star service. When you look at the cost of cruise holidays they have not increased in price much over the past few years. It follows, that in the economic situation that we are in, all businesses will find somewhere to make savings, or go under.

Yes I agree that the food on P&O is not as good as it was 3 years ago but at the same time I have found little to complain about and if I did the waiters were quick to bring me an alternative.

I've read about surly waiters, but generally found people respond to a smile and an interest in them. If not ask to sit elsewhere.

This is just my experience and yes, there will be some people who have a genuine complaint and not just unrealistic expectations. I think you have hit the nail on the head when you wonder if only the people with a complaint write about it and there are many more thinking what a wonderful holiday they've had.

We were on Oriana earlier this year and had no problems either with the cabin plumbing or with the service. Go ahead and look forward to your holiday I'm sure you will have a good time.

BIB I think you are right.

We have just booked an Oceana cruise (saver fare) for an amazing price and because we have cruised with P & O just once before I dug around in my filing cabinet to find our Portunus cruise number. I found it attached to a leaflet detailing some of the winter cruises on offer at that time in 2007.

None of the cruises were an exact match for the one we have booked (ours in in January and the closest one in the 2007 leaflet is in November on a different ship - 12 nights to the Canaries). The price shown for a balcony room is £1239 more than today for the brochure fare and £710 more for the "special" fare which I assume probably equates to an early saver in todays parlance.

Prices haven't just stayed the same they actually seem to have come down.

Reading through the reviews posted on here a few days ago I came to the same conclusion - more bad than good. If I'd never been on a cruise and had read that lot I'd have thought twice about booking. We have our 18th P&O cruise coming up and I can honestly say we've never had a bad one. We started in 2003 - not a very long time ago I admit but we've had very little to complain about. In fact we've only ever complained once and that was due to some damage caused to a jumper of my husbands when the balcony rail had been painted without our knowledge and no notice or anything put there so when he lent on the rail it got varnish all over his jumper sleeves. We reported it to Reception and within the hour the front of house manager was on the phone apologising, asking the cost of the jumper - it was an M&S £29.99 - and the amount was credited to us immediately.

I can accept that some ships suit some people better than others - just look at the current thread on Adonia, we loved her but some people didn't like her at all. I think some of the bad reviews possibly come from people not doing enough research - too much booking following seeing a cut price offer and not looking at the ship concerned and what it offers.

I agree some people are more likely to post when things go wrong than when they have returned following a really good time. I think also that some people book the Saver Offers and then moan when they can't get their choice of dinner sitting or they don't like where the cabin they have been allocated is situated Maybe it's just in the British psyche to like moaning!

Well, our cruises this year in June and last year, both on Oriana, have been excellent. We love Oriana.

Each time we have booked Select and have chosen our cabin and dining preference and have been delighted.

Food, entertainment and above all, the attitude and service from the staff, have been first class.

Can't wait for my next cruise - albeit a mini cruise on Aurora on Sunday, just as a little break for my daughter and me and give her a taste of a cruiseship.

Enjoy your cruise, Purple Moonlight :)

Edited by Scriv

It's nice to hear that P&O are refurbishing Oriana.

I agree to a certain extent about pricing, but a cruise isn't a loaf of bread. The prices for a cruise vary wildly depending on when and what type of fare you book, but essentially once on board the holiday is the same.

You would think that those who have paid a bargain fair would be the most satisfied, but from the recent Azura reviews it's the other way around.

Strange ....

My only complaint about Oriana this time was the main courses in the MDR. I have never complained in 8 or more cruises. I have also never encountered a surly member of staff. In fact, sometimes I wonder at their patience with some of the people they have to do deal with!

I also read the review about Adonia. We are on her next april for the first time. She's a small ship, so I know not to expect a proper theatre and also a smaller Headliners company. It was like that on Artemis and also on Fred O. We like the feel of a small ship.

P&O appear to be taking somewhat of a beating in the reviews at the moment. I'm on Oriana over Christmas, and to be honest it's got me a little concerned.

I wonder if it's a case of those who are unhappy making it known, and those who are happy not doing so, or is there some systemic downward trend in the P&O service?

I don't know about the latter. We've just been on Azura and really enjoyed it ; transport botch up at La Rochelle but other than that it was great.

I do sometimes wonder. A review of our cruise stated something like 'the waiters didn't interact much' (paraphrase). Our waiter interacted so much I was worried he might get into trouble or run out of time. I've read things that are simply wrong "there are no movies you can watch on the cabin TVs".

One also has to be realistic. You aren't paying megabucks any more, so if you are expecting first class everything you'll be disappointed. But I really enjoyed it and so did the missus and the children ; good food, good entertainment and so on.

It's nice to hear that P&O are refurbishing Oriana.

I agree to a certain extent about pricing, but a cruise isn't a loaf of bread. The prices for a cruise vary wildly depending on when and what type of fare you book, but essentially once on board the holiday is the same.

You would think that those who have paid a bargain fair would be the most satisfied, but from the recent Azura reviews it's the other way around.

Strange ....

We paid about £600 odd for a balcony. 6 days to Bilbao and back up. That's £100 per person each day. Looking at what we got it's an absolute bargain.

If we'd been paying Regent/Seabourn sort of money, then we probably wouldn't have been too impressed, maybe.

People have to be realistic. We once booked a late booked early Easter break to a hotel in Cyprus, AI, on the rec. of our (excellent) TA. We took the line that it was so cheap (about £400 each) that if the food was awful we could eat out every night, just sleep there, and still be ahead on points. It actually was pretty good in the end all round. If we'd have spent £800 / head on it we'd have felt hard done by.

And some people just like complaining.

Hi Purplemoonlight

My wife and I have cruised with P&O since 2005 starting on Arcadia we have been on Oceana, Ventura and Azura and we have in our opinion had an excellent cruise each time, we have noticed small changes over the years but nothing that would stop us from cruising with P&O. With regard to reviews I read them out of interest but actually pay no attention to those full of moans, I find with those reviews if you read into them something has went wrong either on the run up to or at the start of the cruise which thereafter colours the remainder of the cruise.

Each ship on average carries 2000 passengers per cruise out of that amount how many actually post a review good or bad. As has been said previously cruise prices have not increased substantially since we started cruising, our first cruise on Arcadia cost us £1600 pp for an obstructed view outside cabin for two week fly cruise from Glasgow to the Caribbean, this year we have paid £2000pp for a balcony on Ventura in the Caribbean.With one exception we have always paid full/select fare to ensure a seat in the Glasgow flight.

With regard to service onboard ship, I have never experienced anything less than good service, but on some occasions I have in my opinion have had excellent service, I take time to speak to members of the crew when possable and I can say I have never been subjected to any form of rudeness, perhaps the odd one or two who were not having a great day. Any problems I have had(non flushing toilet) I informed reception and had the repair carried out within a reasonable time. I watched the engineer deal with the problem which turned out to have been caused by wet wipes or something similar being flushed down a toilet two or three cabins down line of ours and blocking the waste pipe

Go on your cruise with an open mind and enjoy .

I spent 2 weeks aboard Oriana last month and had a great cruise. I found the staff very friendly and helpful - but then I do tend to smile at them and always say thank you :). Entertainment and food I found completely acceptable. Like many other things, a cruise experience is very personal and subjective. The 2 couples behind me at disembarkation expressed loudly that they had not had one decent dinner or cup of tea for 2 weeks...

Oriana remains my favourite ship an I have never received bad service on her but like Andrew I smile and chat with the waiters etc. IMO the food has improved this year after a bad patch. My friends and I spent Xmas on board her in 2012 and had a great time. I think that on smaller ships the crew have more time to get to know you etc.

I was on board for two weeks in August and would go back and do it again.

Like you I was rather concerned about the reviews beforehand.

She was fine. I would happily go back again. I would add that I particularly like the layout and style of Oriana and Aurora - and the cabin and service were as expected. So I'm biased becase my expectations were satified. It may be people used to other ships and with different tastes will be disappointed.

As regards her age - well she is getting older. While we were on board bannisters and rails were being sanded and polished. There was painting going on. The decks looked good to my eye. Our cabin was OK though the bathroom looked a bit worn and there was corrosion on one of the bath panels. Regardless of th wear and tear - it was clean.

The only two comments I'd make about standards slipping is that the food is still OK but has dropped a notch from say 10 years ago. And the Al Fresco restaurant had shabby fabric chairs that I'm surprised hadn't been replaced.

I noticed a review that implied the crew were unfriendly. That certainly was not the case when we on board. The atmosphere we experienced was good all round - from the stewards (not just our own), the waiters, bar staff, entertainment staff, library, reception, the officers and crew, and even some of the engineering staff who were helping out on the tenders.

Maybe we just got lucky? Or maybe just easily pleased? Or maybe some of the reviews just don't accurately reflect reality? Maybe on the day it's as much down to the personality of the passengers as it is the personality of the ship ....

Edited by Dryce

The atmosphere we experienced was good all round - from the stewards (not just our own), the waiters, bar staff, entertainment staff, library, reception, the officers and crew, and even some of the engineering staff who were helping out on the tenders.

Maybe we just got lucky? Or maybe just easily pleased? Or maybe some of the reviews just don't accurately reflect reality? Maybe on the day it's as much down to the personality of the passengers as it is the personality of the ship ....

Maybe. Can't recall a grumpy member of staff - some are friendlier and livelier than others, but that's just human nature.

I don't know if the food has got worse, haven't been cruising for long, but it seems to me to be pretty good for what you pay for it.

Another vote for Oriana here. We've just got off her today and had a great time. It was our first time on Oriana and I, too, was concerned after reading the recent bad reviews. We had a great time, there wasn't Noro on board and we had no plumbing problems. The only "tired" thing I noticed was a scratch on our sink but this didn't spoil my break!

As for the staff - I agree, smile and say hello and you are greeted warmly and this was only a 4 nighter.

I also noted when we were in reception a big pile of forms to remove the gratuities. I really hope people were tipping some staff personally rather than not tipping at all :(

Nice to see so many thumbs up for Oriana.

I've also never had cause to complain about the service or food on any of my three previous cruises (Azura x 2 and Aurora) and hopefully this will be no different.

A 24 night Christmas cruise is obviously something special to look forward to, and believe me I am.

We have just come back from a cruise on Oriana and enjoyed our 2 weeks. The food was fine, could always find something we fancied. We did freedom dining which after a hiccup worked well for us. We met interesting people and could dine when we wished. Entertainment was good. We particularly enjoyed the piano recitals and the Glen Miller concert. There was a problem with our toilet but each time we reported it it was fixed promptly. Bathroom was tired but spotlessly clean. There was norovirus on the ship but the crew worked hard to contain it. So yes, excellent value and we would cruise again with P&O and on Oriana

You know what some people are like.....they like to have a good moan rather than say something good! LOL!

I've been on many cruises which have been great, but have read negative reviews of the SAME cruise that was not my experience at all.

Nothing is ever perfect (including cruising), but letting little niggles pass over you and being positive, has gone a long way in making my cruises fab.

I'd suggest that you ignore all the negative reviews and go on your cruise with an open mind. Enjoy your cruise - I'm sure you will.

I suspect that it is the former. People are much more likely to fire off in public about a product or service which does not come up to expectations than they are about one which exceeds them.

Prices have definitely come down, we cruised the Caribbean pre- kids and wanted to take them back, we were looking at £7-8k for an inside cabin a few years back at Christmas, we have paid £6k for next Christmas for a balcony :D

We haven't had any issues so far, although it was last March when we were last on a P&O ship and not going until next Christmas