Glory: No popcorn until the movie has STARTED!

NoName

Just came back from the Carnival Glory yesterday. Overall had a nice trip. However, I couldn't help but compare this experience to the Carnival Liberty I sailed earlier in the year. The Liberty was a MUCH nicer experience. (The Liberty trip restored my belief that Carnival is a great vacation option!)

No MAJOR issues, just several missed customer service opportunities. One annoying issue was the fact that you could not get popcorn for the Dive in Move until the movie had STARTED. I went to 3 Dive in showings. The first time, we arrived 5-10 minutes prior to start of movie and were able to get our popcorn, then our blanket and settle in just in time.

The 2nd night, they refused to give us popcorn before the movie. Kept saying, the "popcorn is for the movie only". I said, "I am here to watch the movie". Was told to come back after the movie started. It was only about 10 minutes prior to showtime. I waited 5 minutes and went back up and was denied popcorn again by a different bartender. She said, "these are the rules we have to follow...no popcorn until the movie has started." So, I stood there until the movie started and then they started serving popcorn.....so I missed the first couple of minutes of the movie. No big deal, but what's up with that?

The 3rd movie night, same experience.

Also...why would the cruise director make long winded announcements during the movie? Seems like he could have done this just before it started..........

However, this annoying issue aside,I have to say that I LOVE the "Dive In" movie experience.

Another example of a small customer service opportunity for improvement: I ordered room service -a ham and cheese sandwich and asked for chips and potato salad. Was told I couldn't have both chips and potato salad....I had to pick ONE!?

On another day, I tried to order a BLT sandwich around 0930 am. I was told "NO, we are serving continental breakfast only." Hmmm...the room service menu in my stateroom said, "24hr". I have ordered the BLT for breakfast on other ships...so I am not sure if this is a policy change or just the Glory interpretation of the rules.

This was also the first time I regretted "Anytime" dining. The service was horribly slow and it took FOREVER to even place our order. We usually eat all meals in the dining room, but decided we would go to the lido for dinner on 2 of the nights because it didn't seem worth it.

Don't get me wrong....I had a nice vacation. I enjoy the Carnival product and the price is certainly right for me! I cruise to sit on my balcony, read a book and stare out to sea....everything else is gravy!

Edited by NoName

i agree with your sentiment that 'it's no big deal'... they have to set some point for when to serve it... maybe it should be 5 or 10 minutes before, but when exactly would serving free popcorn be suitable to everybody? it is free popcorn regardless. maybe they want to control for kids coming around 30 minutes before if that's when they served it, and making a mess - i don't know, but don't look gift popcorn in the bag lol.

for room service, you kind of have to work with them. they have certain 'points' too that they hit. they're not used to putting 2 things on one plate. i believe you can order a plate of chips etc. additionally. if they say no, can't do that, then order another sandwich - with chips on the side, without the sandwich. then perhaps they'll get the idea.

the blt thing too is probably a ymmv thing. some have got it by writing it on the continental card, others call in... it seems like you may have had a 'by-the-book' type of room service person taking the orders. it reminds me of a hilarious dialogue regarding room service orders i read some time ago. you need to kind of work that interaction to get what you want sometimes.

anytime dining varies too imo - mostly based on the wait staff. if you find one you like ask for them to mitigate the 'damages' to your mdr experience.

but in the end, i cannot imagine being so miffed by popcorn... and i'm sure there'll be plenty of 'going to get the popcorn' comments to this thread...

here, in the spirit of your problems with room service - this is what i was thinking of concerning some of my own experiences with room service, and how you have to kind of work with them :)

To get the full effect it should be read aloud. [You will understand what 'tenjewberrymuds' means by the end of the conversation.]

Room Service (RmSv): Morrin. Roon sirbees.

Guest: Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service.

RmSv: Rye...Roon sirbees...morrin! Jewish to oddor sunteen?

Guest: Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs.

RmSv: Ow July den?

Guest: What??

RmSv: Ow July den?...pryed, boyud, poochd?

Guest: Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please.

RmSv: Ow July dee baykem? Crease?Funny toast

Guest: Crisp will be fine.

RmSv: Hokay. An Sahn toes?

Guest: What?

RmSv: An toes. July Sahn toes?

Guest: I don't think so.

RmSv: No? Judo wan sahn toes??

Guest: I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means.

RmSv: Toes! toes!... Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we bodder?

Guest: English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine.

RmSv: We bodder?

Guest: No...just put the bodder on the side.

RmSv: Wad?

Guest: I mean butter... just put it on the side.

RmSv: Copy?

Guest: Excuse me?

RmSv: Copy...tea...meel?

Guest: Yes. Coffee, please, and that's all.

RmSv: One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy...rye?

Guest: Whatever you say.

RmSv: Tenjewberrymuds.

Guest: You're very welcome.

here, in the spirit of your problems with room service - this is what i was thinking of concerning some of my own experiences with room service, and how you have to kind of work with them :)

To get the full effect it should be read aloud. [You will understand what 'tenjewberrymuds' means by the end of the conversation.]

Guest: I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means.

Guest: English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine.

RmSv: One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy...rye?

This is too funny but true.

I can't believe that the popcorn on the lido deck is all that there was to discuss about your cruise on the Glory. How was the food in the mdr and on the buffets? Guys burgers? The comedy shows?

I believe the OP shared insight on the cruise director's announcements, service failures with room service, poor service in the dining room and the key reasons OP decides to cruise that lived up to OP's expectations.

:D I am dying laughing! SO funny!

RmSv:

Wad?

that's funny

That whole popcorn thing is really silly. It's free and 5-10 minutes before, what's the big deal. I go to the movies and get all my snacks ahead of time. I don't go back out once the movie starts. :rolleyes: As nasty as the popcorn is, they should be happy to give it to anyone asking for it anyway; especially asking more than once.

I can understand the BLT for breakfast thing. Room service is available 24/7. Doesn't mean everything they offer is available 24/7. Then again, what wasn't readily available from breakfast to make a BLT? And why couldn't you have chips AND potato salad? Geesh.

Yeah seems like some petty annoyances. Glad you enjoyed your trip anyway.

What deck was your cabin? How were the ports and the American Table menu?

Tenjewberrymuds fur da stewry. berry phoney.

popcorn its about something so trivial standing in the way of excellent customer service.With that being said sometime something seems silly until you understand reason why,I have had great service and really slow service in MDR this is a huge one for me I hate spending a ton of time with dinner,

Seriously? No popcorn available until the movie started?

Personally I like fresh popped popcorn.

And I like it free. Carnival used to charge for popcorn. I know, I know. Another (reverse) cutback.

Their popcorn isn't worth free. Neither is Princess', as they use the same supply. I can't believe I paid for it when I sailed on the Valor.

Edited by Disconnections

I don't understand....Why popcorn only until the movie starts? That seems really stupid. It's FREE!!

Who cares? Most people would like to get it and get to their seats before the movie starts so they don't miss any of the move. I don't get that.

When we were on the liberty we were able to get popcorn while we were passing through on the Lido deck and we weren't even staying to watch the movie. Popcorn just sounded good. So now it's only for people who stay for the movie? Stupid rules!

This was also the first time I regretted "Anytime" dining. The service was horribly slow and it took FOREVER to even place our order. We usually eat all meals in the dining room, but decided we would go to the lido for dinner on 2 of the nights because it didn't seem worth it.

We had the same experience on the Conquest. Even though we got seated quickly, it took an unusually long time to order and get our food. The servers were very friendly and were always working the room, but I think different tables being at different points in the meal is harder for them to manage.

Not a big deal, but we are going back to traditional dining for this cruise.