Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

I am still wondering if they refurbished the non haven penthouse suites?

All the cabins have been cleaned thoroughly, some have gotten new carpeting and curtains and freshening up if anything was broken, others have gotten more done to them. Mostly they are the same look and you would not really see a difference. The venting system on the ship has been thoroughly cleaned. The Gem now has that new ship smell.

If you have one of these, you are probably in a suite and can probably ask you butler.

I am sure he will get you whatever you may need.

I personally do not drink any kind of coffee so would not have checked for that.

Are there just regular drip coffee machines in non-suite rooms? Or have all the machines been upgraded? I have a nespresso at home and I love it!

There is no way I'd rather spend my days then on a cruise ship!

- 1997 NCL Sea - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

- 1998 Costa - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

- 2005 Golden Princess - 14 Day Northern Europe & Transatlantic

- 2006 RCL Empress of the seas - 7 Day Bermuda

- 2007 Caribbean Princess- 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

- 2010 Celebrity Constellation - 7 Day Mediterranean

- 2014 Royal Princess - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

-2014 NCL Epic - 7 Day Western Caribbean

- 2015 NCL Gem - 10 Day Eastern Caribbean

All the cabins have been cleaned thoroughly, some have gotten new carpeting and curtains and freshening up if anything was broken, others have gotten more done to them. Mostly they are the same look and you would not really see a difference. The venting system on the ship has been thoroughly cleaned. The Gem now has that new ship smell.

Do you know if the cabanas in the haven have to be reserved? Is it included or is there an extra charge for them?

Thank you! It will be like a new ship 😄

Are there just regular drip coffee machines in non-suite rooms? Or have all the machines been upgraded? I have a nespresso at home and I love it!

There is no way I'd rather spend my days then on a cruise ship!

- 1997 NCL Sea - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

- 1998 Costa - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

- 2005 Golden Princess - 14 Day Northern Europe & Transatlantic

- 2006 RCL Empress of the seas - 7 Day Bermuda

- 2007 Caribbean Princess- 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

- 2010 Celebrity Constellation - 7 Day Mediterranean

- 2014 Royal Princess - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

-2014 NCL Epic - 7 Day Western Caribbean

- 2015 NCL Gem - 10 Day Eastern Caribbean

The Nespresso machines are only in the suites.

Thanks for the pictures and info. All looks great.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Pixiedustdawn- Thank you again for providing all this information and pictures, I'm loving getting a preview and can't wait for more. I can't believe someone appropriated your pictures yet again! I guess they are so great everyone wants to use them! LOL!

The Nespresso machines are only in the suites as I understand it. I still have to contact NCL and inquire about making cappuccino. I'd like to know BEFORE I board if I need to bring my milk frother or not!

Harriet

It's been a few years since I've been on the Gem, but IIRC, the Garden Cafe used to have some rather heavy chairs, some of which even had arms, that made it difficult to get in and out of when going to the buffet. It looks like they have rectified that problem with much lighter chairs around the tables...:)

Enjoy your cruise. We will be on it in 2016. Can you find out when Carlos will be going on vacation. Thanks.

Carlos said this morning he will be going on vacation for Christmas and returning February 11th.

I am absolutely in love with Carlos! He may be one of the kindest people I have ever met. I haven't asked him to do anything. We made our reservations ahead of sailing and so far we've been fine but he's a pleasure to talk with and everyone who has been asking for anything or complaining about anything he is clearly on top of. Again...it's exhausting watching him. And many of the employees for that matter.

I saw a few pictures someone took of the Penthouse Suites Aft. It seemed like the only thing that was new was the carpet and a new espresso machine. They removed the Lavazza machine, which we really liked.

If you look back a few pages on this thread you will see some small pictures that were taken.

Rob

Those are all my photos. I guess somebody decided to take my pictures and make an album with them.

pixie dust .. do you want us to delete the link to your photos or leave it up..you may email me at my cruise critic email address

Edited by Host Star

Carlos said this morning he will be going on vacation for Christmas and returning February 11th.

I am absolutely in love with Carlos! He may be one of the kindest people I have ever met. I haven't asked him to do anything. We made our reservations ahead of sailing and so far we've been fine but he's a pleasure to talk with and everyone who has been asking for anything or complaining about anything he is clearly on top of. Again...it's exhausting watching him. And many of the employees for that matter.

Thank you so much for this information, so happy Carlos will be with us on our next sailing!

I guess if I read every post I could find the famous Carlos, but

isn't this the same as posting a specific travel agent?

I enjoy all the work my agent does, but she is paid, after all. I am embarrassed when I keep changing my mind, but it is her job.

Barbara

Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see who will be replacing him. We cruise during that period.

Thanks for posting the pictures. How did you get so up close and personal? I'm guessing you work for NCL? We sail on her on December 3rd. Really looking forward to it! Where on social media can we see these. Going cray cray over here trying to find more pics!

Thanks again!!

I guess if I read every post I could find the famous Carlos, but

isn't this the same as posting a specific travel agent?

I enjoy all the work my agent does, but she is paid, after all. I am embarrassed when I keep changing my mind, but it is her job.

Barbara

He's the concierge on the Gem.