Best Ruins Tour?

JaHokie46

Hello!

I didn't post this in the ports forums because I'm looking for opinions on the best ruins tour between multiple ports and specifically the best one available to book through Carnival.

Reason being is that this our first cruise ever. We really want to do a ruins tour and prefer to do it through Carnival so that we don't end up messing something up and getting left in case a bus breaks down or something. Although we have a few hundred in on-board credit already we don't want one of their ruins tours to sell out so we want to buy now. We are relatively young and active and have no trouble walking and carrying a backpack of towels/water bottles as I've read they can be hot and humid.

Our ports are:

Cozumel

Mahogany Bay

Belize

Costa Maya

So, between all 4 of those ports, what's the best ruins tour to do? Thanks!

The only ruins I've been to in the Caribbean are the Mayan ruins at Tulum (Cozumel was the port). Our whole family went and we all enjoyed it. First of all, you should know that the boat to the mainland is very fast. 2 of my kids got sea sick. I would recommend some motion sickness meds. The bus ride to the ruins was long and stopped supposedly for a bathroom break but the place was really a tourist trap. There are also all kinds of shops at the bus stop for the ruins. Another warning, they charged us for TP when we used the restrooms there. But the ruins are worth seeing. You can't climb them, they are roped off. The best part of the trip is that there is quite a lovely beach down the cliff from the ruins. If you do happen to choose Tulum, wear your swim suit under your clothes. There's no place to change on the beach.

Sorry I can't help you with comparisons, but I thought I'd offer some info that I wished we had had before the trip. I'll bet there are some reviews in the destination threads, though, so definitely check there.

Is the Lamanai ruins offered at Belize City on your cruise?? I went on that one thru NCL. I bet CCL has a similar one.. It WAS long but WOW do you see a lot! You learn a lot about the people of Belize and the country of Belize. I took a boat up the New(?) River to the Lamanai runs. Wow what a trip. MUCH to see and learn. The ruins are literally in the middle of nowhere. It was great! I recommend that tour hands down!!!

We have seen Mayan ruins at Uxmal and Chichen Itza (Progreso), Tulum (Cozumel), Lamanai (Belize), Kohunlich (Costa Maya).

It may help you decide which one to visit if you look at the slide shows my wife made with pictures she took for her website. There are links below that will take you there.

Happy cruising. It's a great way to explore the world!

Is the Lamanai ruins offered at Belize City on your cruise?? I went on that one thru NCL. I bet CCL has a similar one.. It WAS long but WOW do you see a lot! You learn a lot about the people of Belize and the country of Belize. I took a boat up the New(?) River to the Lamanai runs. Wow what a trip. MUCH to see and learn. The ruins are literally in the middle of nowhere. It was great! I recommend that tour hands down!!!

I would second Lamanai. It is a great experience, but I don't think Carnival goes there.

When we go back to Belize we are going to visit Xunantunich

I think you will enjoy any of the ruins, so maybe it is a question of what else you may want to do in each port. Of the ports you listed, Belize is one that I would definitely want to have a planned excursion. It's not a get off and head out on your own port.

I would suggest checking out youtube videos to get an idea of what the different ruins are like, and also think about what each port has to offer.

I strongly agree with Domino that a Carnival excursion would be advisable in Belize. That port is one where you don't want to hang around the port ........ Belize City is just not very inviting. On the other hand, Cave tubing and ruins in Belize are very interesting but both are a pretty lengthy drive over bad roads....... which is why a Carnival excursion would be best there. They won't sail without their excursion returning........... Xunantunich and Altun Ha should both be available with Carnival and both are very good choices

I strongly agree with Domino that a Carnival excursion would be advisable in Belize. That port is one where you don't want to hang around the port ........ Belize City is just not very inviting. On the other hand, Cave tubing and ruins in Belize are very interesting but both are a pretty lengthy drive over bad roads....... which is why a Carnival excursion would be best there. They won't sail without their excursion returning........... Xunantunich and Altun Ha should both be available with Carnival and both are very good choices

I would pick Xanantunich over Altun Ha in a minute. The best thing about Altun Ha were the local vendors and the ride back over the river. While Xanatunich is a long bus ride, the ruins are large and the pyramid is massive. It was still climable when I went.

I don't believe Lamanai is offered as a Carnival excursion.

If the OP wants to see ruins from Cozumel, then Tulum is the best choice IMHO. Coba is older, and the buildings are further apart. In Tulum, you can see how it was structured as a trading town, and the view from those brilliant aqua waters up to the main structure is phenominal. The beach offers a cool respite from the usually hot sun. I've travelled the Coz to Playa ferry many times and never felt ill, but if prone to motion sickness, the best place to be is first floor center, it has the least motion.

No matter where you go, bring water, sun tan lotion and insect repellant.

Hello!

I didn't post this in the ports forums because I'm looking for opinions on the best ruins tour between multiple ports and specifically the best one available to book through Carnival.

Reason being is that this our first cruise ever. We really want to do a ruins tour and prefer to do it through Carnival so that we don't end up messing something up and getting left in case a bus breaks down or something. Although we have a few hundred in on-board credit already we don't want one of their ruins tours to sell out so we want to buy now. We are relatively young and active and have no trouble walking and carrying a backpack of towels/water bottles as I've read they can be hot and humid.

Our ports are:

Cozumel

Mahogany Bay

Belize

Costa Maya

So, between all 4 of those ports, what's the best ruins tour to do? Thanks!

We did the Altun Ha ruins in Belize last week and loved it. In Cozumel we did the Ancient Culture and Mayan Ruins that are on the Island, we did not want to waste the whole day going over and back to the mainland.

This past August we did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour through Carnival. It was nice to combine a ruins tour with a boat trip on the river. We were able to see manatees, iguanas, lots of birds, a crocodile, and a howler monkey. The boat stopped at a resort where we had lunch - I had the traditional chicken with rice and beans as well as a Belikin beer. After lunch we went by bus to the ruins. We had a Mayan guide there who was very knowledgeable about the site. If you'd like to see some photos, I have them posted at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098938&page=4.

In Costa Maya we went to Chacchoben, but not through Carnival. We toured with David and Ivan, "The Native Choice," and did the "Mayan Experience" tour which was a visit to the ruins followed by lunch with a Mayan family. A great meal and a nice experience.

I agree with booking a tour through Carnival in Belize. No matter what you do, it's a long day. One funny story - last tender back to the ship was scheduled for 4:30. Well, it seemed that most of the passengers on Glory planned to be on that last tender.:p The line for the tender snaked around the port area, and I think "last tender" actually was at 5:15.

I've done Chichen Itza, Uxmal and Altun Ha. If I had to pick one to visit it'd be Altun Ha in Belize.

Chichen Itza obviously is the most popular destination but it is very touristy feeling now. It's overwhelmed with "vendors" that hassle you even while on a tour. Uxmal is very nice but not as grand as Chichen Itza and it still has the people hassling you.

Altun Ha is closer to the port and is actually in a rain forest. You can see monkeys, tons of exotic birds, trees, etc... For me it was an awesome experience, everything I expected in a Mayan ruin visit. Where the other two were more like visiting the Alamo. Not to say they are bad, just different. It's more of an adventure I guess.

Chichin Itzu is my choice. So its touristy, your going to see histor, its amazing. Only draw back, its a long ride from where ever you leave from. My second choice would be Tulum, never been there, but the pictures are really nice. Plus a wonderful beach.

Uxmal is my favorite Mayan ruins site, but you can only go there from Progreso. One of the main reasons I love Uxmal is that they still allow guests to climb one of the pyramids and go into the rooms of the ruins. The ruins and grounds are beautiful. I have been there 3 times and would go back again in a heartbeat. I have also visited Chichen Itza, but I was very disappointed in that site, due to the multitude of obnoxious local vendors set up INSIDE the ruins area. BUT that doesn't answer your question.....

I have been to Chacchoben from Costa Maya, and I enjoyed those ruins very much. However, they have been only partially excavated, so there aren't many structures to see. On the other hand, the site is beautiful, with huge palm trees that completely shade most of the area. I would call it a "small" ruins site, but worthy of a visit. You are not allowed to touch the structures.

I have been to Tulum, but like others have said, you spend a lot of time travelling to get there. First, the 45 minute ferry ride, then a long walk to the buses, and then another hour or more in a tour bus...each way. The problem with Tulum is that many of the structures have been destroyed and looted. Apparently, the Spaniards thought they would find gold there. It is hot, with little to no shade, and there is a lot of climbing involved. You are not allowed to touch the structures. But the view from the cliff is beyond spectacular!! Note, if you choose this tour, you will not spend ANY time in Cozumel, which is my favorite place on earth.....

Although I have not been to any of the Belize ruins, I would love to go. I have heard good things about them. I suggest that you go to the Belize board and do a search for ruins or post the question there. Enjoy your cruise!

Actually go to google and put in the different sites, so you can actually see what structures are standing at the various sites.

I've been to Chitzen Itza and Tulum several times each, and visited Coba, Xanantunich, Chaccoban, El Bakkar, and Altun Ha once each.

For the OP's question, I will still say Xanantunich is the top answer.

We did Xuantunich from Belize and Tulum From Play del Carmen. We enjoyed both, but they were very different. Xuantunich was a long day and I would 100% book through the cruise line because it's basically the full time in port and with the long bus ride I'd be concerned about missing the boat if on a private tour. The ruins there were impressive and climbing to the top was something I can say I did and am glad I went. Tons of history and the tour guide was informative. Lunch was nice too.

Tulum was also impressive and informative and much shorter. You couldn't climb the ruins, but there were many, and it was a beautiful area with the beach right there. We got great pictures.

Oh you have a great itinerary.

If it was me, I would do one of the mayan ruins excursions in Belize. Both options Alta Hun and Tunasandwich (pronunciation) are both breath taking and the ride to get there is awesome.

I would however do the excursions through Carnival. Recently, we just returned from our Oct 2014 cruise to Progresso. A couple missed the bus ride back to the port from Chichen Itza. The cruise ship was notified and we waited until the taxicab from Chichen Itza caught up to us. The tour operator told us that the people who missed the bus had to pay the taxi 200.00. I guess cause the ride is 5 hrs roundtrip. Anyways, Carnival waited for the bus which is great.

Chichen Itza is Mayan Disneyland. Didn't hate it, but wouldn't do it again (although, strangely, I choose a picture I took there for my avatar). Previous poster was correct that the vendors there are somewhat out of control, and can ruin your experience.

My vote, if you're on a ship docking at Cozumel and your ship does a tour there, is Coba. Tulum if it doesn't. Since it takes 60-90 minutes to get to Coba from Playa del Carmen plus around 45 minutes for the ferry from Cozumel, it's probably not something I'd consider doing independently (unless you're lucky enough to be on a ship that docks overnight in Cozumel).

Now if you're on a ship that docks in Calica that changes things dramatically, since you'll be even closer to Coba than you would be from the ferry terminal in PDC, and you could have your private tour operator waiting at the dock. You could probably get both Coba and Tulum done. Or Coba and a few hours swimming at one of the nearby Cenotes. :)

We are doing Costa Maya and Belize in Feb. We would like to snorkel one and see some ruins at the other. Which stop should we snorkel and which should we see some ruins?:confused:

I think you could go either way and be happy.

My choice would be Belize - Barrier Reef Snorkel and in Costa Maya - Chacchoben.