mysterious upsell offer

shredie

I just got an email with an upsell offer I don't understand. We just got upgraded to a Caribe balcony, but this upsell is for "50 additional square feet" at $199 pp. No other clue as to what they are talking about. Is that a mini-suite? I don't know that I want to upgrade to a mini suite somewhere I don't know about in advance.

Second upsell offer in two months. Weird. BTW, this is on the Golden to South America in Jan.

PRINCESS CRUISES IS PLEASED TO EXTEND THIS EXCLUSIVE OFFER TO OUR VALUED CAPTAIN CIRCLE MEMBERS CURRENTLY BOOKED IN AN BALCONY STATEROOM (cat. B2-BF) ON THE JANUARY 3, 2014 SAILING OF GOLDEN PRINCESS.

Cruise 14 nights while enjoying nearly 50 sq/ft of extra living space for only an additional $199 USD per person! Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is based on double occupancy. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased.

This offer is ONLY available by calling 1-800-243-7342 extension 30746 (M-F). Offer expires NOVEMBER 13, 2014 AT 4.00PM PST.

This offer is based on availablity and space is limited. Calls/voicemails will be handled in the order recieved.

Edited by shredie

That is a mystery. I would call to solidify the exact offer. Probably is a mini, but who knows? However, I think a mini is about 90-100 sq feet larger than a balcony.

If it is a mini that is a very good price for an upgrade on a two-week cruise.

Edited by Princess Patches

Sounds like it could be bases on a Caribe balcony vs a Dolphin Mini suite where there is about a 49 sq. foot difference - Caribe balcony is approx. 81 sq. feet compared to the smaller Dolphin balcony. I'd call unless a large partially covered balcony is more important to you.

Sounds like it could be bases on a Caribe balcony vs a Dolphin Mini suite where there is about a 49 sq. foot difference - Caribe balcony is approx. 81 sq. feet compared to the smaller Dolphin balcony. I'd call unless a large partially covered balcony is more important to you.

That would be my guess, unless it is an ADA balcony in a higher category not needed by a disabled passenger. Odd that they wouldn't be more transparent about this.

The confusing part is the Cat BF - Cat B2 includes all of the balconies including the Caribe deck balconies, but also the narrower balconies on other decks. Mini-suites have about 81 sq ft more internal space because the Caribe deck balcony if above the mini-suite sitting area. Also, the mini-suite balconies are about 63 sq ft. Inquiring minds want to know. I assume it is an upgrade from a balcony to a mini but who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

I'm guessing it's a mini suite, but obviously call and check it out to be sure. I got a similar offer, albeit much more clearly spelled out, for a Golden Princess cruise back in October that referred to an additional 50 square feet for going from a balcony to a mini suite. Here's what it said:

PRINCESS CRUISES HAS A VERY SPECIAL OFFER FOR CAPTAIN CIRCLE MEMBERS BOOKED IN A BALCONY STATEROOM ON OCOTBER 17,2014 GOLDEN PRINCESS SAILING.

Cruise 3 nights in a spacious MINI-SUITE, with Balcony, for only an additional $49 USD per person! Offer based on double occupancy, plus the additional cost o Princess Vacation Protection, if purchased). In a MINI SUITE, you will enjoy nearly 50 sq. feet more space than a regular balcony stateroom and a complimentary welcome glass of champagne on embarkation day!

This offer is ONLY available by calling 1-800-243-7342 extension 30743.

Offer is applicable to past passengers booked in categories B1-BF and is subject to cabin availability. Offer expires October 3,2014 at 4.00pm PST.

After several failed attempts to get through on the phone, we have decided to just keep our balcony (which I wanted to do anyway.) I don't know what's going on with the upsell stuff, but getting offered two so close together (for different voyages) suggests to me they are getting more aggressive with them. I don't know if the minis aren't selling, or what, but I guess they aren't wholesale upgrading people into them.

After several failed attempts to get through on the phone, we have decided to just keep our balcony (which I wanted to do anyway.)

I would be quite annoyed if I got all excited about an upsell, then couldn't get through to Princess to take advantage of it. I suppose it is better than being automatically upgraded to a cabin you didn't want, and then having to play "phone tag".

It sounds like you made the right decision to stay put. A Caribe balcony is on my cruise wish list. I often have to book late for work and family reasons, so a Baja balcony is the closest I have come. First world problems, I know ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

After several failed attempts to get through on the phone, we have decided to just keep our balcony (which I wanted to do anyway.) I don't know what's going on with the upsell stuff, but getting offered two so close together (for different voyages) suggests to me they are getting more aggressive with them. I don't know if the minis aren't selling, or what, but I guess they aren't wholesale upgrading people into them.

You actually won't get a person to answer the phone. This is the yield management department at Princess and all responses go to voice mail. They will call you back in the order in which they receive messages. We just took advantage on our upcoming cruise on the Pacific Princess - from a mini-suite to an owner's suite. The process for us was easy and painless. ;)

I also received the upsell offer email earlier today. I left a voicemail and within 3 hours they had returned my call. We took advantage and went from a Baja balcony to a Dolphin mini-suite. I'm tickled!!

Good for you. Was this on the South America voyage? I'm glad you confirmed it would be Dolphin deck. I would rather stay with my Caribe deck.

I received a mystery up sell offer also. I'm booked in a regular balcony on the Golden for next Thursday.

"Cruise 3 nights while enjoying up to nearly 80 sq/ft of extra living space for only an additional $79 USD per person! Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is based on double occupancy. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased."

^^^I'm guessing it's a mini suite?

Sent using the Cruis

I received a mystery up sell offer also. I'm booked in a regular balcony on the Golden for next Thursday.

"Cruise 3 nights while enjoying up to nearly 80 sq/ft of extra living space for only an additional $79 USD per person! Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is based on double occupancy. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased."

Sent using the Cruis

Why don't one of you call and ask for the details?

Mike:)

What's with Princess and the coy come-ons? If it's a mini-suite, say so!

What's with Princess and the coy come-ons? If it's a mini-suite, say so!

The offer we had was very explicit:

PRINCESS CRUISES IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE A SPECIAL UPGRADE OFFER FOR OUR LOYAL CAPTAIN CIRCLE MEMBERS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE STATEROOM ON PACIFIC PRINCESS DEPARTING ON DECEMBER 8, 2014.

Treat yourself to a spacious PENTHOUSE or OWNER'S SUITE and spend 10 nights in luxury. Upgrade cost is additional and is based on double occupancy plus the additional cost of Princess Vacation Protection,if purchased.

This was going to be our first mini-suite ever and obviously our plan got blown right out of the water. I just hope this doesn't spoil us for future cruises. :rolleyes:

The offer we had was very explicit:

This was going to be our first mini-suite ever and obviously our plan got blown right out of the water. I just hope this doesn't spoil us for future cruises. :rolleyes:

I've got news for you.

You are ruined!;)

Mike:)

We're leaving on the Regal Sunday and 5 days in advance got an upsell offer for all IF to IA cabins. The offer was for 50 sq. feet more $149. I too thought why not just say balcony which I assumed it was. We had an IA and decided to wait since there were so many available balcony cabins. Glad we did. We got a cabin assignment within about 1 hour of seeing the upsell offer. and it was a balcony.

Nod;

We got the same offer on our Dec 12 1/2 Panama. $149/person for "50 sq ft".

We think it is Mini, but are quite happy where we are and turned it down. Hope

someone else enjoys it.

Strange language though. I know, because I look every day, that they are

having trouble filling this ship and the prices for new bookings have been

fabulous; wish we could get them. But we are quite happy with what we got

so why stress?

Doug