Carnival Shares and OBC

apples4t

Hello, I'm hoping someone is willing to answer some questions about the Carnival Shares OBC perk .. I asked the HAL online chat lady if detailed info was available on the HAL website, but the answer was "no, call this number". Which I will also do.

- Does it work for Canadians? HAL chat lady says Yes, but would love to hear from a Canadian that has done it.

- Is there a waiting period? If I buy 100 shares now, how soon could I claim the OBC?

- I think the amount of OBC depends on cruise length, but the only list of "$$ vs days" I could find was from 2005.

- Do my 100 shares allow me to claim OBC on multiple cruises and/or over multiple years, or do I have to buy more shares?

- I cruise with a friend, not related and not a couple. If we both had shares, would we both get the OBC, or is it per stateroom?

Many thanks, and thank you also for the great information on this discussion group!

Hello, I'm hoping someone is willing to answer some questions about the Carnival Shares OBC perk .. I asked the HAL online chat lady if detailed info was available on the HAL website, but the answer was "no, call this number". Which I will also do.

- Does it work for Canadians? HAL chat lady says Yes, but would love to hear from a Canadian that has done it.

- Is there a waiting period? If I buy 100 shares now, how soon could I claim the OBC?

- I think the amount of OBC depends on cruise length, but the only list of "$$ vs days" I could find was from 2005.

- Do my 100 shares allow me to claim OBC on multiple cruises and/or over multiple years, or do I have to buy more shares?

- I cruise with a friend, not related and not a couple. If we both had shares, would we both get the OBC, or is it per stateroom?

Many thanks, and thank you also for the great information on this discussion group!

I can help with some of this. The shareholder benefit is good for now, no guarantee it will last forever, is subject to change (yearly). You get the OBC on all of Carnival's lines every time you cruise (7 days or longer) on the same 100 shares. It does depend on cruise length. Only one per cabin.

If your cruise is off in the future you might want to wait to see if the stock comes down. This is a stock that fluctuates a few dollars so you can make money off it as well as get the OBC. Right now it's pretty high ($40.90 today, year's range $32.11 - 42.31). DS bought 125 shares a month ago at 34.50 and sold them a couple days ago at 40.50 - a $750 dollar profit, about 16-17%. Next time it comes down he can buy 150 shares.

Edited by bcd2010

I can help with some of this. The shareholder benefit is good for now, no guarantee it will last forever, is subject to change (yearly). You get the OBC on all of Carnival's lines every time you cruise (7 days or longer) on the same 100 shares. It does depend on cruise length. Only one per cabin.

If your cruise is off in the future you might want to wait to see if the stock comes down. This is a stock that fluctuates a few dollars so you can make money off it as well as get the OBC. Right now it's pretty high ($40.90 today, year's range $32.11 - 42.31). DS bought 125 shares a month ago at 34.50 and sold them a couple days ago at 40.50 - a $750 dollar profit, about 16-17%. Next time it comes down he can buy 150 shares.

I should also add that buying/selling the stocks should be done between cruises - you must own the stocks at the time of sailing and between the time you notify HAL and the time you sail. DS has 100 in his portfolio at all times, "plays" with additional shares.

For cruises of 14 days or more the benefit is $250. For 7 to 13 days it is $100.

I recently applied to have the OBC attached to our upcoming December cruise and the response came back with the credit applied for cruises booked next April and June as well.

When we send in our proof we use a current printout and just black out all other investment info on the page. They only need to see what pertains to Carnival shares.

I think all your other questions have been answered. the same 100 shares allow you to claim OBC on multiple cruises over multiple years. It can really pay off.

BTW - if you are Canadian and have room in your RSP, you might want to consider putting them there to avoid withholding tax .

Just fax them your statement with the appropriate stuff blacked out showing your name, address and holdings and a letter with your booking number requesting the OBC.

Another Canadian who uses CCL OBC :D

1st time we did this, our broker gave us the certificate while we were in his office on the day we purchased the stock which we then sent in later that day and our OBC was applied that same day. Time zones probably helped as we are ET and HAL is PT. The group who handles this is one of the more amazing service areas of HAL.

Thanks again everyone. I will be keeping an eye on the share prices as our next cruise is in April 2015.

Most of what I know about cruising I learned from Cruise Critic :)

keep your eye out. I bought mine when I liked the price and keeping in mind that I would receive the OBC. I should have bought it years ago.

So far, my stock is up nearly 25% and I will with the next cruise have received $750 total in OBC. Not a bad return at all ;)

and thanks for reminding me to get my request off for my Westerdam cruise :)

• 1 month later...
HAL is also very good at confirming your OBC. Request an email confirmation when faxing in your information. I have had confirmations as soon as 4 hours and as long as two days.

Was shocked yesterday, faxed in our request and had a reply in 45 minutes. Now that is fast.

Faxed in my form this afternoon. 17 minutes later I had my email confirmation. :D