Can someone explain Dynamic Dining?

HaliMakai

Think of it more like choosing a restaurant for each meal, whereas the MDR offered a limited but different menu each night AMD a rather fixed dining schedule. Dynamic dining is wide open as to schedule and promises to offer more menu choices. You will not have the same table, dining companions, or wait staff each meal though--just like a restaurant.

Thanks for the link, Funny the 1st line says let your appetite be your guide but further down it says they strongly recommend making reservations prior to sailing. How will I know what my appetite feels like on any given day prior to my cruise?

Thanks for the link, Funny the 1st line says let your appetite be your guide but further down it says they strongly recommend making reservations prior to sailing. How will I know what my appetite feels like on any given day prior to my cruise?

Good question.

Funny every time I have ever ate in the MDR, there is always 3 choices of entrees and several apps, salads and soups. That is way more variety than I offer in my kitchen at home;)

But at least you know what you and you family like when you're doing the cooking ;)

Many times I don't care for the main selections in MTD or MDR so then the choices are basically the alternate options beef or chicken...that gets a little boring too. So it's off to the WJ.

Many times I don't care for the main selections in MTD or MDR so then the choices are basically the alternate options beef or chicken...that gets a little boring too. So it's off to the WJ.

Sounds like Dynamic Dining is for you with approx 40 entrees to choose from every single night from all the free venues combined (approx 50 if you include Coastal Kitchen as a suite guest)

Sounds like Dynamic Dining is for you with approx 40 entrees to choose from every single night from all the free venues combined (approx 50 if you include Coastal Kitchen as a suite guest)

Unless it goes fleetwide soon..I don't think it's going to be offered yet on the cruises/ships I have booked to date.

A common complaint about dynamic dining. But, when you stop to think about it, you have the same issue with traditional dining. You're committing to a dining venue and a set of menu choices regardless of whether you do dynamic dining or traditional.

They "recommend" making reservations prior to boarding (sort of what they also suggest with my time dining) but whether or not you can take a chance and just show up at whichever complimentary dining venue you select, remains to be seen. I think that deciding to "love" or "hate" the concept before it has even been given a chance is more than a bit premature and I am more than willing to give it a try before making any judgement. I also think that they may need a bit of time to work out any kinks in the system before deciding on its success or failure. Looking at the sample menus on their website, I have found menu items in almost all of the venues that would appeal to me.

A common complaint about dynamic dining. But, when you stop to think about it, you have the same issue with traditional dining. You're committing to a dining venue and a set of menu choices regardless of whether you do dynamic dining or traditional.

If you do Traditional though.......you have a set time and no need to book a year ahead for a time or place? If you can get the time you want or the place? It is all done with Traditional.

If you do Traditional though.......you have a set time and no need to book a year ahead for a time or place? If you can get the time you want or the place? It is all done with Traditional.

In addition, you don't have to figure out show times if you have traditional.

But if you dont pre book as suggested by RCI then you may be limited to less choices than the original MDR menu would give you.

Not really because DD will be venue themed food choice only! you wont be able to get a steak&fries in an Asian themed venue so this adds up to less choices than the MDR on any given night.

To remove the contradictory spin from the press release, the basics of Dynamic Dining is the elimination of the Traditional Main Dining Room. Replacing the MDR space are specialty restaurants. Dynamic Dining encompasses all the specialty restaurants ("complimentary" and extra charge), the Windjammer buffet, and the snack venues (Doghouse, Sorrentos Pizza, Cafe Promenade) for dinner.

On Oasis-class ships, the MDR becomes American Icon Grille on Deck 3, The Grande on Deck 4, & Silk on Deck 5. These 3 restaurants, along with Chic, are on Quantum-class ships. California Kitchen is on both Quantum and Oasis-class ships, with the latter replacing the Viking Crown Lounge, is for Grand Suite guests and above along with Pinnacle only. These are the so-called "complimentary" restaurants.

American Icon Grille is "comfort food with a twist" and Silk is Pan Asian fare. These are the only two I would consider "complimentary", along with Chic on Quantum.

The Grande is Formal Night every night, suits/tux required for men. Hardly consider this "complimentary" if it requires the purchase of a suit or a tux rental.

California Kitchen requires the purchase of a suite, so it's only "complimentary" if you're a Pinnacle member of Crown & Anchor Society.

Wonderland is an extra charge restaurant being adding to Oasis from Quantum.

"On Oasis Class, American Icon Grill, Silk, and The Grand will feature two menus that rotate midway through the cruise". Otherwise, each restaurant will have the same menu every night of the cruise.

If you ate all your meals in the Traditional Dining Room in the past, Dynamic Dining is a major change. No more nightly rotating menus. No more assigned tables with other guests and the same waitstaff nightly. You will be required to choose where you will dine and make reservations for each restaurant you wish to dine, or dine in the Windjammer.

If you never ate in the MDR, or only one or two meals, then Dynamic Dining is nothing new for you. For those mostly dining in the specialty extra charge restaurants, you may view Dynamic Dining as "more choice". If you ate all your dinners in the Windjammer in the past, well, the Windjammer is still there.

For the DD cheerleaders promoting "more choice" as a good thing; Traditional diners may view this as "too much choice" in having to choose where to dine each night, and "less choice" as the MDR is no longer an option and the menus only appeal to a specialty rather than the variety offered on the MDR rotating menu.

[For me personally, Dynamic Dining is a bad thing. As I often sail on my own, I will no longer have the same tablemates (or any tablemates) and same waitstaff. Without that experience, the menu becomes more important to me as it does when dining alone on land. I can't afford suites, so California Kitchen is out. Don't own a suit and not paying extra to rent a tux to dine by myself, so The Grande is out. Menus at Silk and Chic do not appeal to me, so they're out. That leaves me with American Icon Grille, which the Children's menu looks better, but not enough variety for a 7 night cruise. So this forces me to repeat the menu, or eat at the Windjammer, or pay extra for Chops Grille. That is why I put on my survey from my recent Oasis cruise that I will never sail on a ship with Dynamic Dining. (Well, not solo anyway.) It's a shame that they put the new Studio Balcony staterooms on a ship with no MDR.]

The Grande is Formal Night every night, suits/tux required for men. Hardly consider this "complimentary" if it requires the purchase of a suit or a tux rental.

You can as long as you have pants and a decent shirt, the venue will provide a suit coat. ;)

TM38ROB......Thank you for your excellent synopsis of DD. I've only casually followed all the different threads about DD, only because, in theory, it does not interest me. Maybe at some point I will try it, but to me, it seems like more work and effort than it's worth. DH and I always enjoyed the MDR experience, either with Traditional dining, or in recent years, MTD, with enjoying one specialty venue per cruise. So time will tell how well this all plays out, and who knows? Maybe when we do try it we will like it:)

My question about DD is how far out can reservations be booked? I keep checking for our April cruise.

Royal has not revealed any general timeline for the release of dining schedules. Supposedly they will open Oasis reservations on Jan 1.

Not really because DD will be venue themed food choice only! you wont be able to get a steak&fries in an Asian themed venue so this adds up to less choices than the MDR on any given night.

And, the converse is true too. If you want an Asian themed choice it may not be available in the MDR either.