Kinda "Live From" - CSI: NA (Nieuw Amsterdam, 11/16-11/23/2014

POA1

As you know, we received our medallions yesterday. We're so darn excited that I even wore mine to bed with my jammies. (Pyjamas in the Canadian metric system.)

Poohby-Joe-and-his-Medallion.jpg

Weren't you paying attention when I said, "I especially do not need multiple daily photos of you."

The Nieuw Amsterdam is docked at the Key West Naval Air Station. HAL is providing shuttle service downtown - basically right down by Mallory Square. We're having lunch at the Roof Top Cafe. It's a great spot. DW found it on TripAdvisor. They have a Coconut Mango Mojito that's really, really tasty.

do they offer chocolate base key lime pie? can't remember were we had it in key west but sure am missing it :D

Kermit's Key West has the chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick. Huskerchick had it briefly, but now it's gone. She said it was yummy.

To my Canadian metric conversion friends: My college major was engineering. I've been working in English and metric units for decades. I was just trying to be funny, and apparently failing in a most epic fashion. I figured that it would be obvious when I was mixing in the temperature conversion and the distances... Anyway, we're in Key West today. That means real units, like God & the Queen intended. :D

I must have missed that bit of subtlety the other day. Probably because I was so engrossed in your story telling and having a good laugh. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. :D

Congratulations on your Copper Medallion.

For those wanting the frozen, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick, it's pretty much available everywhere. We went to the original location on Elizabeth Street, but there's one on Duval as well. It's not as out of the way, but we figured the extra 0.4 miles each way will help to burn off at least half a bite of the pie.

We are the only ship in Key West today. There was supposed to be a Disney ship in port with us (Screaming Children of the Magical Wonder Seas,) but they didn't come in because of the wind. Key West is pretty subdued today. We're not yet in season, and the Thanksgiving crowd isn't here yet.

Edited by POA1

As we get ready for our Key West departure and our final leg of the cruise back to Fort Lauderdale, we have begun to pack. Or, more accurately, Huskerchick has started packing. My contribution is staying out of the way.

We're dining in Tamarind tonight as part of the never ending conspiracy to make sure that I don't get to have the International Menu in the MDR. I did scan the menu, but I will probably not post it until we're back in Fort Lauderdale. (I am going to have the International Menu on our B2B. - once.)

We'll post our cruise summary and some final thoughts once we get back to Fort Lauderdale. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We'll do our best to answer.

A few unfinished items of business that we'll try to get to on the B2B. 1) We have not been able to secure the Pumpernickel Bread recipe yet. 2) We didn't even try to find the additional wines that qualify for the Signature Beverage Package. There are some that do that are not the regular house wines. We will look for those when we have more time on the B2B that starts on the 30th.

We're going to scope out the Silk Den tonight. We have not been there yet.

One question for you, intrepid readers: There's a photo that we've seen of NYC old NYC taxi that's here on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Where's that located? (The taxi, not the photo.)

Thanks for reading thus far. We're not quite done yet, so stay tuned.

Right off the elevator on Deck 10 midship, you will find three rooms. One leads to the main hangout where you’ll find a real full-size New York City yellow cab. You’ll marvel first at the immaculate old-style Manhattan taxi, and then wonder how it got there. Obviously, it was installed before the roof was put on and will stay there for many years to come. (quoted from Porthole on-line):D

Poohby-Joe-and-his-Medallion.jpg

Thanks so much for posting your picture - I always wondered what you looked like. You look like a very huggable kind of a guy, even though you don't appear to wear pants . . . . . . . Your bride must find packing a breeze !

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

Thanks so much for posting your picture - I always wondered what you looked like. You look like a very huggable kind of a guy, even though you don't appear to wear pants . . . . . . . Your bride must find packing a breeze !

Gerry

No, no Gerry, as he said he was dressed in his "jammies"... pink ones at that! :D:eek::D

No, no Gerry, as he said he was dressed in his "jammies"... pink ones at that!

Okay, now I'm embarrassed - I didn't even notice the pink onesie ! ! ! :o I do love his friendly smile, though.

Gerry

To my Canadian metric conversion friends: My college major was engineering. I've been working in English and metric units for decades. I was just trying to be funny, and apparently failing in a most epic fashion. I figured that it would be obvious when I was mixing in the temperature conversion and the distances... Anyway, we're in Key West today. That means real units, like God & the Queen intended. :D

It was funny to me :)

totally enjoyed it.

no worries.:D We're enjoying every bit of your humour - carry on:D

Gerry

:D Normally, during the day, I wear a red shirt with the word, "Pooh" written on it. I have a sparkly one for dressy occasions.

08-2014-11-23-FLL.jpg

On this day in history 125 years ago --*The first jukebox makes its debut in San Francisco's Palais Royale Saloon in 1889. With the Adagio Strings Quartet being replaced with the Adagio Trio and then the Adagio Duo, bettors begin taking action on how long it will be until the Adagio Jukebox makes its debut.

We pulled alongside at around 6:40 this morning. We've just had our last room service breakfast for a week or so. (I offered to take Huskerchick a protein bar and leave it on the nightstand by her side of the bed tomorrow.)

It's 77 degrees (25C) and partly sunny in Fort Lauderdale. We're in luggage group Blue 3, so we'll be hanging out for a little bit, waiting for our number to be called.

All in all, a great "orientation cruise" to prepare us for our B2B starting next Sunday. I still have to scan the cruise statistics and post them. That will likely come this evening. We will also collect and report on our overall impressions of the ship, staff, food, and entertainment. We should have more to offer on the ports during our B2B.

As we embark on our journey of many thousands of feet (half a decakilometer**) home, thanks for reading along. We'll see you again in a week. (New Bat Thread, Same Bat Channel.)

**Even though a decakilometer sounds like it should be about 10K, it's unclear if that's a real unit of measure, even in Saskatoon.