Smh

bigdawg86

Ok so I wasn't sure if I was going to post about this or not but i decided to go ahead. Two weeks ago my father committed suicide, then a week later my grandpa died. I did not purchase the insurance, yeah i know i should have but you cant really anticipate the events that have taken place. But ive been on several cruises and never saw reason to. My issue here is when i called my PVP to explain my situation and how I needed the money to travel to two funerals. All she said was "that's why we recommend the insurance" her tone was very condescending and matter of fact then she said any other questions then hung up. I am not sure how to take this and if I should even bother pursuing this further.

Edited by bigdawg86

That's a very tough situation to be in. Sorry that you're dealing with that. I'm in no way justifying the actions of the PVP, but I'm guessing that her cold tone may have been because of all the bogus stories that she may have come across from people trying to get some sort of refund, and she may be thinking that you're trying to do the same. They've heard it all.

With that said, and to be completely objective leaving all emotions aside, you're not entitled to special treatment because of your unique situation. As the PVP explained, that's why insurance exists; to protect you from the unthinkable. However, Carnival has made some exceptions to their rules in the past. Writing a letter to Guest Relations is the most effective way to go. Keep it short, objective and void of emotions. Don't expect to get any credit or refunds, but it's still worth a try. If you get something , consider yourself lucky. If not, let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

That's a very tough situation to be in. Sorry that you're dealing with that. I'm in no way justifying the actions of the PVP, but I'm guessing that her cold tone may have been because of all the bogus stories that she may have come across from people trying to get some sort of refund, and she may be thinking that you're trying to do the same. They've heard it all.

With that said, and to be completely objective leaving all emotions aside, you're not entitled to special treatment because of your unique situation. As the PVP explained, that's why insurance exists; to protect you from the unthinkable. However, Carnival has made some exceptions to their rules in the past. Writing a letter to Guest Relations is the most effective way to go. Keep it short, objective and void of emotions. Don't expect to get any credit or refunds, but it's still worth a try. If you get something , consider yourself lucky. If not, let it go.

i will extend to you my sincerest condolences, in all earnest.

but i am quoting tapi's post because he effectively covered what you can expect from carnival given your situation. really, there is not a clause that covers this sort of thing in the contract, so you'll hit a bit of a wall there, but the people that enforce it are indeed human, perhaps you may get some consideration - but realize it is not due in 'the conract' - and it is somewhat variable, per some reports. if you can't work it out with one, try another. and yes, sometimes you should call the 800 number instead of just running it through your pvp.

i hope it works out for you.

Edited by falkcor

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss :(. It stinks that you will most likely get no where with your request, however they may show some mercy if you have proof of the circumstances? On the other hand if it's at all possible financially maybe you could really enjoy this cruise to forget for just a little while your grief. Good luck.

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss :(. It stinks that you will most likely get no where with your request, however they may show some mercy if you have proof of the circumstances? On the other hand if it's at all possible financially maybe you could really enjoy this cruise to forget for just a little while your grief. Good luck.

Also want to convey condolences for your terrible losses. And agree with this poster, you are probably not going to get your money back. You may as well go on the cruise and try to get back to the business of living through the grief. I don't say that coldly. I became quite the cruising fiend after my husband died. I find it very therapeutic. I hope you are able to make your peace and enjoy your life again.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. As others have suggested, try to call the 1-800 number and ask if there is a possibility to change to a later cruise. There may be a transfer cost, but as long as they know you "do want to sail", but at a later date, there may be a chance they will allow you to re-book. A small fee to transfer the trip to another is better than losing everything.

You might need to know the sailing you want ahead of time.

I also notice that your SAILING is 17 days away??? I do believe that you have up to 15 days out to add the insurance? Log into your online cruise manager and see if it is still offered.

It should be listed as OPTIONAL CHARGES and have an option to ADD if it is still available

Again, sorry for your loss. I hope you can work things out.

Edited by wiskt

That's terrible, but you do not buy insurance because you anticipate something is going to happen, you buy it because "something" might happen.

It is a gamble either way. You can go on a hundred cruises and never need it or you could need it on your first cruise like my sister did. She almost didn't get it because it was just adding to the expense of the cruise, so it took a lot of talking to her, but then her son was in a serious accident 1 week before her cruise, and she was glad she had it,

I only talked her in to it because I was thinking something could happen on the cruise, not that she might would need to cancel it before she left.

As others have said, you can contact carnival in writing and hope, but you will not be getting your money back. They may offer cruise credit, but that would be it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The last thing you need is a lecture or education of reasons for insurance.

Regardless of reasons to purchase the insurance, remember there are always exceptions. Always. Trust me, I know this to be fact.

Give them notice now, and write a letter. Offer some proof in the letter. Although it won't help you with the airfare you need NOW...you could get a least a cruise credit in the future.

Good luck. My thoughts go out to you.

First off, condolences for your losses. Next, bypass your pvp (also dump her and get a new one) and try calling the general CCL number and explain the situation. Maybe you will get a more sympathetic ear. Sometimes they ask for a death certificate as "proof." Ask about transferring your cruise to a different date. Feel free to ask for a supervisor. Yes, you may have to pay a "change fee", but you may not lose all your money that way. If you cancel the cruise now, you will just get port taxes and any excursions you booked refunded.

I also notice that your SAILING is 17 days away??? I do believe that you have up to 15 days out to add the insurance? Log into your online cruise manager and see if it is still offered.

Insurance must be purchased BEFORE the fact. You can't make a claim got something that happened before you bought the insurance.

I am very for your loss of your family. I had a situation before where I did not have insurance. I was 48 yrs old, healthy, and did not feel the need for insurance. Something very serious happened to me, that kept me from being able to cruise on a cruise that was under 600 dollar deposit and now final payment was overdue by about a week I think. I called the past guest service desk. I was able to use 600 as a credit for a future cruise. I was very grateful. I used that after I recovered, and cruised on the "Miracle."

Anyway, if I were you, I would call past guest services and explain your situation. The number is 1-800-929-6400.

It is the big companies that have missed with us being humans. Sorry for your loss. The other day I read that a lady was told to bring prof that her husband had died..... to a cell phone company so they would close the account. She brought the death certificate and the asks and they still don't believe that he expired and she doesn't know what to do. Hope all works out for you in the end.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it all works out for you with Carnival. I know the last thing you need now is that hassle. I agree with the others, try another call or write a letter and if possible, attach a copy of the death certificate, if there is one at this time. I also agree that if you get no satisfaction, go on the cruise! I think your father and grandfather would want that.

Sorry, I know this advice doesn't solve your need for a refund to fly to the funerals...which may be your number one concern.

Again, my condolences.

Ok so I wasn't sure if I was going to post about this or not but i decided to go ahead. Two weeks ago my father committed suicide, then a week later my grandpa died. I did not purchase the insurance, yeah i know i should have but you cant really anticipate the events that have taken place. But ive been on several cruises and never saw reason to. My issue here is when i called my PVP to explain my situation and how I needed the money to travel to two funerals. All she said was "that's why we recommend the insurance" her tone was very condescending and matter of fact then she said any other questions then hung up. I am not sure how to take this and if I should even bother pursuing this further.

Insurance or lack thereof is a gamble you chose not to partake in.

Sorry for your loss, but not sure why you would think anyone but you should pay for the decisions you made.

So sorry for your loss. I can empathize with your situation. We also did not get insurance and for essentially the same reason you stated, we've been on many cruises and they've all been fine. If something came up now, we would be screwed.

I would pursue this as far as you can. I realize that not purchasing the insurance is a risk you take, but at the same time, we are human and we make mistakes. I would hope that a company that relies on repeat customers (which means almost any company) would find a way to meet you halfway.

I hope that this works out for you and that you find peace of mind soon. Losses like these are terrible and this is one added difficulty you don't need or deserve. Blessings.

cruise will not be covered here because of the situation being an exisiting condition. (people died before the covereage took place)

look into a policy that pays for any reason to cancel.