back of the Cloud,Rome to Madeira

dos jubalatos

Some niggles this time, on the whole it was a good cruise mus staff fantastic many faces from last year

But there was some things that need sorting out.

Dress code , one group contently in dining room in jeans and trainers , and one night before dinner loud and running around the panorama lounge oblivious to other people staff looking embarrassed,but nothing done.

New ordering system in dining room stopped working on occasions

Pool grill was shambolic orders wrong on two occasion.

Hot rocks reservation confirmed on the first day for the last day not available when we turned up offered to set up table but well away from any heat source.

Being asked in the was i still working on my drink ( new Silversea speak ! )

cruise beset with technical difficulties ie

lats sailing from rome

Suite Bar set up evening of second day due to TD

Major delay from malaga due TD on sailing informed that technical duties had been temporarily fixed, heading out for the atlantic left people wondering what these difficulties were?

Last year score ten, this year ?

Regards Mike and Bill

Hi Mike & Bill,

Thanks for your crossing summary, albeit not as enjoyable as last years.

One or two minor niggles on any crossing/voyage is unfortunate but the many you carefully cite is not acceptable. Did y'all get a chance to speak with the Hotel Director about any of the food & beverage issues--was the Cloud F&B mgr asleep? Suggest a

letter by y'all listing these deficiencies or a letter sent on your behalf (more impact)by Travel Agent to the SS executive in the UK. Important not only for setting the record straight by disappointed SS guests but good feedback to hopefully plan for and take corrective action.

Interesting observations, Mike & Bill. We are currently on the Cloud, Funchal-FLL, due to arrive in FLL day after tomorrow. We too have noticed some issues on board....and the Cloud is our favorite ship in the fleet. There are a lot of familiar faces - Cap. San Giancomo (sp?), David Lawton CD - as well as a lot of returning passengers.

When we boarded in Funchal, the air conditioning was out in La Terrazza, and the other night when we dined there it was almost intolerable. There have been a lot of funky odors about the ship, primarily on deck 6. One evening, a string of fans blowing at full force lined the corridors. Lectures have been disrupted by banging as crews replaced a floor. We were awaken at 7:15 one morning by an electric sander on full power. The television stations all went out one day, and we also noticed some issues that staff were having with the electronic menu's. There is also a different 'feel' - not sure how else to put it. Cabin staff talking loudly to each other in the hallways in various languages, we saw swim shorts in the main restaurant for the first time ever, and though our butler mentioned the 'green' initiative when we boarded, we assumed it meant they would not replace the towels, not simply leave them hanging without folding - but no, they've been hanging just as we leave them.

That being said, the 139 of us on board are receiving great service - Biljana has recommended some amazing vintages and staff have been so nice! We have great lecturers on board, and Lunch & Learn, while costing $40 per head (due to the premium wine, they said), was wonderful! We also like the new internet service plans - hopefully this time my reply will actually submit (3rd time's a charm!).

My husband would not be pleased with the not changing out towels thing. Even at home, he has a fresh towel every day and definitely expects that on a luxury cruise line. We are on Spirit in February so will see how things are then.

Just to show you its all in the eye of the beholder, as a passenger also on the Funchal to FLL cruise (writing now from the pool area), I have thoroughly enjoyed this cruise. I think this is our 28th cruise, and around our 20th on SS. I'd put this probably in the top 20% of my cruises to date. Now remember, this doesn't discredit the others' observations, just adds one more perspective.

We have had no glitches in our dining experiences. I haven't observed any of the wait staff in the dining venues having problems with the iPad system. Not that others haven't encountered them--just saying I haven't seen or observed any problems in my ordering. Food has been excellent. The chef, Grant, is doing a great job. I must say, I thought the turkey he and his staff prepared on Thanksgiving was great! Loved it.

Yesterday, I asked for a double cut ribeye steak up at the pool grill "hot rocks", and the staff gladly obliged, with two prawns as well. It was beautiful, and was HUGE. It was so thick, about halfway through, the staff volunteered to bring me a second stone so that it would be hot enough to cook the brontosaurus through, and it did. I posted this on Facebook--it was great.

The sommelier has been terrific. We have ordered wine off the menu every night, and she has been totally on top of it, no matter which dining venue we were in. One night, the red we ordered was corked up at the pool grill, and within 30 seconds, she had a new bottle in hand, replacing it. She's a keeper.

I have never wanted for anything on the cruise--basically when I look up, it seems, there is a waiter asking me if I want another drink or whatever.

This is not meant to be a cheerleading post--those who know me know I am brutally honest and have been very critical in the past on some cruises where I thought service was lacking.

Personally, I rate this cruise a 10/10, just as far as my own personal experience goes.

Henry, any conclusion that this is a "Carnival like experience" would be sorely incorrect. If this requires hospice care, I guess I'd agree to check in! ;-)

Edited by MuseCruiser

Just one more note as I was thinking about the towel issue. Fortunately, our towels have been replaced every day with nicely folded towels, just as one would find in a top hotel. Obviously, someone is falling way down on the job WinWin. You should know this is not the norm on the cruise (certainly not in our cabin) and I would let management know about this immediately.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful post Wil/Muse Cruiser; am enjoying both Craig and your wonderful FB pix too and pining over the exceptional vintages y'all are enjoying and and drooling over the tasty cuisine. Was able to load the pix you took last nite of your steak and wine--pls see below:

steak_zps29d58a6e.jpg

wine_zps16f493f2.jpg

I agree with MuseCruiser that the food has been terrific - and the wine - believe we mentioned that in our post. It's more a overall maintenance issue, perhaps - we were surprised to see some of the same thoughts from someone on the previous cruise. Still do love the Cloud - just a different feel from other cruises on her!

Just one more note as I was thinking about the towel issue. Fortunately, our towels have been replaced every day with nicely folded towels, just as one would find in a top hotel. Obviously, someone is falling way down on the job WinWin. You should know this is not the norm on the cruise (certainly not in our cabin) and I would let management know about this immediately.

Thanks your posts reflect our Cloud experience in August/September this year.Faith restored with the exception of the Maitre d allowing guest in swimming shorts in the dining room,as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Lunch & Learn, while costing $40 per head (due to the premium wine, they said), was wonderful!

We've done the Lunch and Learn with David Bilsland several times, most recently on the Whisper in September, but there has never been a charge for the wine. Is this a new permanent change?

I asked for at least (!) triple the prosciutto as normal. :-) hehehe

Appreciate these super pictures, details and insights on the Silver Cloud. Haven't not had lunch yet today and seeing these food pictures makes me hungry. Great, creative pizza idea!!

Interesting range of comments, ratings and questions raised on this thread. We are looking forward to a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud. Will check first-hand to see how our personal experiences go with the ship conditions, staff, food, drinks, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,954 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Wilfred,

Glad you gave a different perspective but one still can't discount the problems encountered by the OP. Sounds like the food has been good and no one would know better than you about the quality and service of the wine.

Henry (wripro)

I'm sure their experience was as described and what they experienced.

My perspective is much more than the food and wine as well.

When was your last Silversea cruise? Was it recent and how did your experience compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MuseCruiser

I don't believe Lunch and Learn is a permanent charge - we've done many of these with David, as well, and have never had a charge. Biljana told me it was due to the premium wines that were served. So perhaps that was just a one time thing on this cruise. It was an amazing presentation!

Hi Wilfred.

It has actually been two years since our last SS cruise and that was okay. Food was satisfactory as were the wines. But there was room for improvement as there always is. My biggest concern now is the potential inclusion of excursions and the higher fares to cover them. As you know we sail SB a lot more frequently and prefer it but that's a personal choice. We have also been doing many more land trips in the last few years as we want to explore places more throughly and frankly, so much cruising was getting repetitive.

Enjoy!