Nieuw Amsterdam "Down Under".

erewhon

During our 34 day Circumnavigation of Australia cruise, DH attended the service club meetings.

During one of the meetings it was stated that the Nieuw Amsterdam will be sailing "Down Under".

Hope this is correct, will be another ship of the HAL fleet for us to sail on, without having to make a long flight to the embarkation port.

Edited by erewhon

Noordam will be down here this time next year.......we have made a booking.:)

He understood that Nieuw Amsterdam will be sailing down here for our 2016 summer season.

I wish they did more cruises here that weren't in the summer. I know I'm in the minority, but summer is a miserable time to be in Australia. 40+ days with no relief is not my idea of a great time to be here. I'd much rather do a cruise here during the fall/winter.

Perhaps the NA will do Alaska in 2016 and then head down under with the Noordam going back to the Caribbean.

Anything is possible especially given Koningsdam will be joining the fleet. Her permanent itineraries haven't been announced yet, have they?

Edited by sail7seas

I wish they did more cruises here that weren't in the summer. I know I'm in the minority, but summer is a miserable time to be in Australia. 40+ days with no relief is not my idea of a great time to be here. I'd much rather do a cruise here during the fall/winter.

It's not all that bad 'down under' in the summer. 40+ does happen, but not every day. Mostly it is pleasantly in the low 30's. Cyclone season across the top is also a consideration in summer. Winter you would be blown out of the southern ocean at times. NZ is ok in summer, and cold in winter. K

Well I do know that the Nieuw Amsterdam will definitely be doing Alaska for summer 2016 and I am pretty sure she is heading to Australia New Zealand for late 2016 early 2017 :)

Lisa,

Do you know if the Volendam will continue to travel "Down under" and Asia or will Noordam replace her for 2016/2017?

Lisa,

Do you know if the Volendam will continue to travel "Down under" and Asia or will Noordam replace her for 2016/2017?

I looked at the Sydney ports schedule for that time and the Noordam is listed to do the Aus/NZ/Pacific Islands run but there is no mention of the regular (well recent) Volendam cruises down here. What I mean is Volendam is listed for November 2015 but not 2016

My interest was because we thought we'd book the Sydney - Singapore Nov 2016 cruise - did it before and loved it, was booked for 2015 but have had to cancel.

Is it possible for the NA to do the ports Asian ports Volendam has been doing?

Cathy

Lisa,

I have to admit, that I am not certain of. It would not surprise me to see Nieuw Amsterdam replace Volendam and do something like putting Volendam back in the US possible doing the West Coast runs to Hawaii and Mexico but truly just a guess at this point.

It's not all that bad 'down under' in the summer. 40+ does happen, but not every day. Mostly it is pleasantly in the low 30's. Cyclone season across the top is also a consideration in summer. Winter you would be blown out of the southern ocean at times. NZ is ok in summer, and cold in winter. K

Despite what my profile says (I can't get it to change), I actually live south of Melbourne. It's miserable for me in the summer. And I love Adelaide, but cannot imagine it in the summer. Last year, we were at or over 40 for the entire month of February. Low 30's aren't pleasant to me, in fact anything over 28 is pushing miserable. I felt the same way in New Orleans, only the humidity was far worse. I really wish HAL would consider a fall/winter cruise in Australia. It's on the whole a much nicer time to be here in my opinion, and less crowded. I've travelled around the country Dec-Feb and Jun-Aug. I much prefer seeing the sights in the winter. And it could be an option to get out of the Caribbean for the height of hurricane season there.

I have to admit, that I am not certain of. It would not surprise me to see Nieuw Amsterdam replace Volendam and do something like putting Volendam back in the US possible doing the West Coast runs to Hawaii and Mexico but truly just a guess at this point.

What about Zaandam then?

What about Zaandam then?

Possible but I think we will be seeing some shake up of the fleet locations into 2016 and 2017. I do not hink we will be seeing the same ships doing the same itineraries....nothing for sure but just the general vibe I am getting.

I just had another look at the Sydney schedule for Late 2016 and I realise things can change between now and then but guess what - as well as the Noordam both the Amsterdam and Rotterdam are there for November with Rotterdam back in December and also January :)

Will be fun to see what actually transpires for that time.

Thanks for your reply.

Possible but I think we will be seeing some shake up of the fleet locations into 2016 and 2017. I do not hink we will be seeing the same ships doing the same itineraries....nothing for sure but just the general vibe I am getting.

Yes. Oosterdam is perfect example. :)