Booking two staterooms but sleeping in one

PJOZ

Our friends who have two young (9 and 6) children are thinking about doing a cruise with us on the Voyager of the Seas but there are no 4 berth cabins left. They are thinking about booking two cabins with one adult and one child in each but as they are looking at guarantee category I've explained the two cabins may be at opposite ends of the ship.

I'm wondering would it be possible to book two cabins but actually all sleep in one? They would book one balcony and one inside, do the twin share balcony cabins have a sofa that one child could sleep on? And would it be possible to bring some of the bedding from the inside stateroom for the other child to sleep on or do they have rollaway beds?

If worst comes to worst they can sleep in the two separate cabins but just wondering if anyone had ever done this and if it worked?

Thanks, Penny

Yes good point, so I think what they would do would be talk to the cabin steward of the empty cabin when they board and explain what they are doing. Tips are included in the price they are paying (as is common in Australia) so the steward would still get his tips but not have to do much so I think from the stewards point of view it wouldn't be a problem?

Then (assuming it is a different steward) I would advise them to tip extra for the other cabin top of the auto tips. Do you think that would work?

It sounds like a lot of hassle every night to me.

They are pretty strict about life boat/muster stations so that is another thing to take into account. What family would like to be separated in an emergency?

Do they save much by getting guarantee cabins? It might be worth a call to RCI to see what they can do and what options there are (eg family cabins or adjoining cabins)

Also if final payment isn't due for the cruise, more cabins become available as people who have only paid minimum deposits seem to cancel at that point. So check when final payment is due for that cruise and perhaps wait for that before deciding. (There is no guarantee but for one cruise my mother decided she wanted to come and we waited until final payment day and an appropriate cabin became available and we booked it quickly)

Good luck

Edited by jenibor

It is after final payment and there is no availability for 4 berth cabins or anything else, but they have been told by RCCL that if they book the 2 guarantee cabins and a 4 berth opens up they could switch to that. They are booking with a 3rd party voucher so it is a bit unusual.

I agree it might be better for to look at another voyage but our family is on this one and they'd like to go with us, plus it is in the school holidays and works for them to close their business etc. With all the marketing about the revitalised Voyager in Australia they have just decided they want to try cruising and they REALLY want to do it so if we can make it work it would be good. I hadn't thought about the life boat issue though that is definitely something to think about. It's complicated!

There is precious little floor space in a standard cabin....so bringing in bedding isn't really an option.

They should wait until a cabin with 2 pullmans opens....this is no way to vacation, schlepping stuff from one end of the ship to the other!

In their shoes I think I'd just split up and sleep in separate cabins, but it they want to try sharing (one night as a trial or all nights if it works), nobody is apt to stop them. Some families might be content with three people in one big bed; the fourth would get floor (or sofa). Unlikely they'll get a cabin with a Pullman if availability is low for that cruise.

If they do it, they should consider an extra tip for the attendant who cares for the main cabin (extra work), while the other attendant would get the standard tip (and perhaps do little work). Seasoned attendants have probably seen it all before, so a short explanation might suffice. Everybody would go to their assigned muster stations for drill and in the unlikely event of a real emergency (one adult plus one child together at each station unless they happen to get same station).

We have done this for at least our last 5 cruises. We book two rooms that are usually side by side though. We've landed up having the same stateroom attendant most of the time, but differnt attendants other times. We let them know that we are using whatever cabin as our primary room. No issues.

We at least get double onboard credits and ammenities.

I am sure Royal could care less where you all sleep, you'll work it out. Book the two cabins and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We have done this for at least our last 5 cruises. We book two rooms that are usually side by side though. We've landed up having the same stateroom attendant most of the time, but differnt attendants other times. We let them know that we are using whatever cabin as our primary room. No issues.

We at least get double onboard credits and ammenities.

Finally a couple of voices of reason. The ship is not going to care, if they all fit and are comfortable sleep in one cabin do it.

If they book the two cabins and sleep in one, I can't see a problem. They have paid for all 4 of them, paid tips, what does it matter where they sleep.

The beds are pretty big so if it was me, I'd let the smaller child sleep in the bed with the parents and the other one on the couch or floor. I can't see a problem.

J

the cabin steward with the empty cabin might touch base with his or her supervisor and wonder about where the clothes are, why the bed are not slept in, etc......

.... and no one will be there for the evening bed check.:rolleyes:

Maybe they could take a couple of dummies, and put them in the beds and cover them up.

the cabin steward with the empty cabin might touch base with his or her supervisor and wonder about where the clothes are, why the bed are not slept in, etc......

.... and no one will be there for the evening bed check.:rolleyes:

Maybe they could take a couple of dummies, and put them in the beds and cover them up.

I agree, there will be no bed checks, so need to pack dummies (haha) or muss the beds.

Still, when they see their stateroom attendant, they can simply tell him that the whole family may bunk together. That would prevent the attendant from worrying that something might be amiss if he does not see his guests.

Here's a possibility as well - when I got assigned my inside guarantee for Quantum - although there were no 4 berth cabins left, *gasp* magically when I got assigned I got a 4 berth room. And when I went to change it, magically there were about 50 choices to choose from LOL. So, it could be they actually get assigned a 4 berth cabin, and then can add the other people in. That's what I did then.

ETA: And yes, Royal Caribbean could care less where you sleep once you're onboard. Book the cabins and enjoy the trip!

Edited by jmrothermel