Has anyone been happy they got the drink package?

kscjojrj

We did the math every which way. If you are a beer drinker, it is definitely not worth it. Unless you drink ore than 10 beers at day. If you like to drink martinis )$10 a pop), then it is much easier to break even or come out ahead.

I'm normally a beer drinker, but after having a look at the beer selection, I think I'm gonna have to become a martini drinker for the duration of my cruise :p

We did the drink package on RCI recently and felt we got our monies worth. I do like my martini's when cruising though. And yes it is more like 6/7 drinks.

Even if you figure 8/9 mixed drinks or beers over a 12 hour day on board it's still pays for itself.

We have already purchased it for our upcoming NCL cruise also.

Isn't the package less expensive if you only get beer/pop?

And never were we as people say " Sloppy falling down drunk".

It is all about everyones OWN choice. If YOU feel it's worth it for whatever reason go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're def not lushes but we opted for the UBP. I typically drink beer and wine but I also like martinis and frozen drinks/umbrella drinks - banana dacquiris, pina coladas, dirty bananas, etc. Those kind of drinks go down easy and are quite pricey. So that's what I'll be drinking. Mimosas for breakfast, frozen drinks/umbrella drinks at the pool, wine with dinner, martinis at night. I don't think we'll have ANY trouble AT LEAST breaking even. I think the worst thing would be to not buy the UBP and spend the same amount anyway - all while limiting yourself. It's gonna be a fun trip! Departing Miami on Sunday! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this post was rude. The poster you referred to said "a few (serious lushes) might." Okay, it was rude - to the lushes. Hopefully the shoes do not fit.

Calling anyone who might "come out ahead" a lush is kind of rude.

I don't drink the cheapest things so with drinks at 9.50 plus sodas it doesn't take that many to come out ahead. And not having to scrutinize the bill puts me waaaay ahead (imo).

I'm normally a beer drinker, but after having a look at the beer selection, I think I'm gonna have to become a martini drinker for the duration of my cruise :p

If you generally drink beer then the beer buckets (6 for 5) represent a better deal than the UDP.

I am a beer drinker but the beer selection on a cruise ship is dire! Consequently I drink Martinis (1: for effect and 2: because the wife does (happy wife = happy life);)) or Gin and Tonic.

I can shift a few bottles of Becks/Warsteiner/Pilsner Urquell but I always end up hankering for a pint of Fullers London Pride or Tanglefoot (Brit real ales for our overseas cousins).

Immediate action on returning to UK - down to the pub for a couple of pints of PROPER beer!:D

1 - Your honesty in "lushness" is appreciated.

2 - Nobody is being ruled by a marketing package. Nor should they pay by the drink if the package makes sense. They can either take it, or not. Nobody pushes it.

Some people do seem to be 'ruled' by the package. They forget to factor in the port days (when they are on shore therefore not drinking on the ship). They lose sight of the fact they that might want an 'alcohol free/lite day' on the cruise.

I can drink for NATO (22 years in the British Army can attest to that:D) but I do sometimes take a 'light' day during a cruise - I want to take my liver home with me in something like working order. I do not need the 'pressure' to get my moneys worth from a package designed by NCLs beancounters.

We did it on the Getaway in June and on the Epic last week. We got our money's worth both times and were never intoxicated. A few frozen drinks by the pool during the day, a glass of wine with dinner, a few drinks during evening activities, and we come out ahead. We sign those tickets over and over again for between $8 and $11 (after the auto-gratuity is added), and it feels good to know we won't have a big tab at the end of the cruise.

This thread was started to see if people who have purchased and used the UBP were happy with their purchase.....

Sorry newbie. Threads never stay on course. You'll see everything on here get hijacked. Hell, you'll see people worried about getting ebola from second hand smoke on balconies. :D

It is on the pricey side, but we have found that it's not at all difficult to break even. We would never drink that much if we were paying by the glass, but we certainly enjoy the excuse to indulge. So it's a win for us, and a win for NCL (because I don't think it's physically possible to drink enough for them to lose money on you, and certainly not 7 or 10 days in a row).

kscjojrj, you say you will have basically 5 days spent on the ship, but out of how many days total? I would absolutely get the UBP without hesitation for a 10-day cruise with 5 sea days, but for a 21-day cruise with 5 sea days, not so much…

This thread was started to see if people who have purchased and used the UBP were happy with their purchase.....

Technically true.

But, many of the posts are close to the discussion.

In reality, those that THOUGHT about it would generally be happy. Those that did not think it through might not be so happy.

So, that would be thousands and thousands on each side of the equation. Hard to say which would fit your scenario.

Calling anyone who might "come out ahead" a lush is kind of rude.

I don't drink the cheapest things so with drinks at 9.50 plus sodas it doesn't take that many to come out ahead. And not having to scrutinize the bill puts me waaaay ahead (imo).

I agree with this 100%... Especially about factoring in a couple of sodas each day. We've had the package on both of our NCL cruises... Did we "come out ahead"? Maybe, maybe not... But part of the value for us (as others have mentioned) is not having that big unknown bar bill at the end of the cruise:D

Technically true.

But, many of the posts are close to the discussion.

In reality, those that THOUGHT about it would generally be happy. Those that did not think it through might not be so happy.

So, that would be thousands and thousands on each side of the equation. Hard to say which would fit your scenario.

Actually, I've noticed that on threads discussing the UBP, the majority of those who purchased it didn't regret it. It's pricey, so I expect most think it through.

It is on the pricey side, but we have found that it's not at all difficult to break even. We would never drink that much if we were paying by the glass, but we certainly enjoy the excuse to indulge. So it's a win for us, and a win for NCL (because I don't think it's physically possible to drink enough for them to lose money on you, and certainly not 7 or 10 days in a row).

kscjojrj, you say you will have basically 5 days spent on the ship, but out of how many days total? I would absolutely get the UBP without hesitation for a 10-day cruise with 5 sea days, but for a 21-day cruise with 5 sea days, not so much…

7 days. We have one port day that we will only spend a few hours in port.

7 days. We have one port day that we will only spend a few hours in port.
OK, call immediately and buy the UBP! (It costs $5 more per day if you wait until you are on board.) 7 days, almost all spent on board: this is what the UBP was created for! :p

Have a great cruise!

I bought the UBP for our last cruise and was very happy with it. Everyone keeps saying that you have to drink so much to make it worth it, but you have to remember that sodas are also included in the plan. I liked knowing that I could have a Pepsi and a Bloody Mary or 2 at breakfast ($2.50 for each Pepsi and around $7 for each Bloody Mary) a Pepsi and/or another drink at lunch, a few drinks by the pool, at dinner, and after dinner. It all adds up quickly and for us it was worth it. Additionally, we only got off the ship at Great Stirrup Cay, where the plan could be used as well.

We are not big drinkers at home but when we're on vacation its nice to be able to just relax. There's something about the sea air that makes a nice frozen drink really tasty.:p

I am heading for my first cruise on the Jewel on January 3, and I am also wrestling with whether I should buy the UBP. One factor is that I can bring my own sodas on board, which makes me lean toward paying for my individual alcoholic drinks and drinking my soda for free. However, I know I am going to want soda with breakfast, lunch, and dinner (in addition to whatever alcoholic beverages I buy). Is there any rule or social stigma against bringing my own Tervis tumbler filled with my own soda and ice from my room with me into a dining room, buffet area, bar, pool area, etc?

We have done the UBP last three crusies, our recent October Gem cruise with the new pricing. Worth it for us.

I enjoyed having my martinis again. A martini ran just over $11 with gratuity. I was also drinking Estancia Pinot Noir at $9.75 a glass before gratuity and a California Cabernet that was $10 before gratuity. The DH would have CC and soda which ran around $7 I think and Coors Light at $5.50 before gratuity. The bushwackers ran $9.75 as did most of the frozen concoctions (banana daiquiri, frozen margaritas, etc.).

I noticed while checking receipts at home, that the bushwacker drink went up from $7.50 to $9.75 and I suspect that of all the frozen and drink of day items. Something to keep in mind if you are doing a price comparison from your last cruise.

I do enjoy not having to worry about checking my bill every few days to make sure we are staying within our budget. I pay this and the DSC long before we sail. Nice having a one page bill at the end of the cruise!

I know land vacations like Sandals resorts, etc., are all inclusive. Many can give the pros and cons of these types of vacations with alcohol beverages included as to whether you broke even or not. At the end of the day only you can determine if this package is worth the money for it. Just remember you are on vacation and probably up many more hours in a day then when you are home. Two or three drinks at lunch, one in the afternoon, two at dinner and maybe three before you stop having fun around 1 AM add up quickly.

Remember one thing -- I enjoy Absolut vodka. If I ask for a vodka tonic I will get bar brand. Same said for my martinis. If you prefer a premium spirit covered by the package, make sure you specify that brand when giving your drink order.

Hope some of this helped.

Kathy

OK, call immediately and buy the UBP! (It costs $5 more per day if you wait until you are on board.) 7 days, almost all spent on board: this is what the UBP was created for! :p

Have a great cruise!

If I'm not mistaken, if you order ahead, you must actually "pay" for it.. If you want to use OBC, wait til you are on the ship

Thanks for the info! I think this helped us save some $$$!!!

We were originally going to do the UBP but I think we are now deciding against it. We have 4 port days on our 7 day so I think right there that might spell no deal. We aren't mixed drink people (except for the mention of mimosas DOES sounds heavenly...). We are beer drinkers, through and through. Based on the $5.50/bottle estimated above, I think we would be best to just pay as we go. It looks like we'd have to each drink 10 beers EACH day (including port days) to break even. If we only sat on the ship, yes. But not with getting off the ship at port.