Has anyone been happy they got the drink package?

kscjojrj

I've done a lot of research on the UDP. I can't decide what to do. I feel like we have 5 days where we will spend the majority of the day on the ship. Not that we are looking to get drunk but it seems like if we are just relaxing by the pool and eating (what I am looking for on this trip) we may have 5-7 drinks. It always seems like I read in the boards not to get the package. I wonder if we don't get it if I will question every drink I get.

If you've gotten it did you feel you got your money's worth?

I've done a lot of research on the UDP. I can't decide what to do. I feel like we have 5 days where we will spend the majority of the day on the ship. Not that we are looking to get drunk but it seems like if we are just relaxing by the pool and eating (what I am looking for on this trip) we may have 5-7 drinks. It always seems like I read in the boards not to get the package. I wonder if we don't get it if I will question every drink I get.

If you've gotten it did you feel you got your money's worth?

Have not heard to many people here describing the UDP so I wonder if people are still getting it considering how expensive it is.

I got it in May. Loved it. Didn't have to think about what we spent... esp when we were at Howl. Didn't have to finish a melted drink, etc. We had 3 port days but only got off at 1. Sailing in March and we have the all-inclusive... so we will have the package again (and now with more things included).

We had it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Did we save an amazing amount of $? Probably not. But it was nice to not worry about trying something and not liking it. Husband and I could drink different wines at dinner without sharing a bottle. We had a ship- intensive itinerary ( we only got off for a few hours in Nassau) so it was worth it for us. We had a few mimosas at breakfast, 3-5 beers or drinks during the day. Some wine with dinner and an after dinner drink or two. And a few sodas a day. I think we definitely broke even at least. They no longer itemize the drinks on BA so I can only guess we broke even or a little better. In May on BA, they itemized every drink on the SBA so I could tell exactly how I "did". That was a solo trip under the old pricing so that one was another " break even".

Edited by conandrob240

Assuming you mean the Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) as opposed to the Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) - we 'like a drink' on a cruise!:D

We ran some numbers and looked at our previous cruise spreadsheets and decided it was not worth it for us. On our last 14 day cruise round the Med we came out about $250 in front by not taking the UBP. We did not go thirsty!

Some people like the 'convenience' of not worrying about the cost - personally I prefer the $250!

Some say they can try other things without worrying about the cost - so be it - we have a pretty comprehensive drinks selection at home.

If it included proper coffee and fresh squeezed OJ then it might become worthwhile for us - but - at present - it is not.

Do you really think NCL would institute something like this if it meant that their drinks revenue would drop? No, thought not - it improves their bottom line overall. Most punters would not come out in front - a few (serious lushes) might.:rolleyes:

Assuming you mean the Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) as opposed to the Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) - we 'like a drink' on a cruise!:D

We ran some numbers and looked at our previous cruise spreadsheets and decided it was not worth it for us. On our last 14 day cruise round the Med we came out about $250 in front by not taking the UBP. We did not go thirsty!

Some people like the 'convenience' of not worrying about the cost - personally I prefer the $250!

Some say they can try other things without worrying about the cost - so be it - we have a pretty comprehensive drinks selection at home.

If it included proper coffee and fresh squeezed OJ then it might become worthwhile for us - but - at present - it is not.

Do you really think NCL would institute something like this if it meant that their drinks revenue would drop? No, thought not - it improves their bottom line overall. Most punters would not come out in front - a few (serious lushes) might.:rolleyes:

Rude! Reminds me of the old George Carlin bit... where everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot but anyone who drives faster is a maniac. For these purposes... I guess anyone who drinks less is a teetotaler and anyone who drinks more is a lush. Sheesh

We found it well worth it. We did drink more than we would've without it, because if we were paying for each drink, I know I would've skipped mimosas, bloody Mary's, drinks in the theater, drinks by the pool... I would have just carried on and paid corkage on bottles of wine.

It forced me not to be frugal - lol.

Was wondering the same thing. I just checked our cruise coming up and it would be $869 and change for my wife and I on our 7 days cruise. Thats crazy considering we booked a mini suite for $2200.00. I guess if you really like to drink its a good deal.

I personally would not buy it. My wife drinks very little and and I don't see how it would be worth it for the amount I would drink. That said, I will find out if there is any real savings on my cruise at the end of March. My mother booked it for her 4 kids and our spouses (and herself of course) and paid for the UDP for all of us. So we shall see. But I'm pretty sure NCL will come out way ahead on the nine of us. :)

Was wondering the same thing. I just checked our cruise coming up and it would be $869 and change for my wife and I on our 7 days cruise. Thats crazy considering we booked a mini suite for $2200.00. I guess if you really like to drink its a good deal.

We wouldn't pay for it either. No way we would ever drink that much.

I had it the last 3 cruises. And I enjoy Not having a BIG bill at the end.... If I use it or not.. Sometimes it paid for itself and sometimes not... Just nice not to worry about the BILL at the end....:D:D

Edited by Docalbe

Rude! Reminds me of the old George Carlin bit... where everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot but anyone who drives faster is a maniac. For these purposes... I guess anyone who drinks less is a teetotaler and anyone who drinks more is a lush. Sheesh

Run the numbers - if you come out in front with the UDP then you need to drink a fair bit (e.g. roughly 9 beers a day (@ $6.04 inc gratuity) - 9 G&Ts a day (@ $6.04 inc gratuity using basic gin) - Every day.

Sea days - yes one might get through that booze - port days it is less likely.

We like a bottle of wine with dinner (not included); a decent Cognac after dinner (several not included) so not worth it for us.

You might want to read the posts properly and note the roll-eyes smiley. I was purely commenting on the numbers ($) (which is all NCL is interested in).

They know that they will lose money on a few serious piss-artists and that they will make more money on the majority of pax who opt for the package and actually end up losing on the deal (in $ terms - notwithstanding the psychological considerations such as convenience; budgeting; experimentation etc.)

I have seen and spoken to several pax who are sitting at a bar drinking because they want to get their moneys worth from their UDP - I would rather stay a bit more sober and enjoy the ship's facilities - each to their own.

I refuse to be ruled by a marketing package - if I want a drink I'll have one and I shall choose the drink I want, (not limited by a dollar amount) - if I do not - I won't. I make my own decisions.

I am just trying to point out to readers that you need to drink a LOT of booze over the length of the cruise to come out in front.

BTW - I am a lush - I drink a lot more than my doctor!:D

Run the numbers - if you come out in front with the UDP then you need to drink a fair bit (e.g. roughly 9 beers a day (@ $6.04 inc gratuity) - 9 G&Ts a day (@ $6.04 inc gratuity using basic gin) - Every day.

If you drink the cheapest stuff - sure (nothing wrong with that!). When I ran the numbers for myself in the spreadsheet, I came up with more like 6-7/day, which seemed reasonable enough, so I ended up buying it for my upcoming cruise. Whether it's worth it or not is TBD, but 6 drinks/day is within the realm of possibility for me, especially considering I'll probably have some soda/juice at some point, too.

Edited by iaa

If you drink the cheapest stuff - sure (nothing wrong with that!). When I ran the numbers for myself in the spreadsheet, I came up with more like 6-7/day, which seemed reasonable enough, so I ended up buying it for my upcoming cruise. Whether it's worth it or not is TBD, but 6 drinks/day is within the realm of possibility for me, especially considering I'll probably have some soda/juice at some point, too.

Exactly my point - review your likely choice and number of drinks over the whole cruise - wind it into the spreadsheet, which someone kindly provided, and see what pops out at the end. It is a personal choice - only you know what you tend to drink on a cruise so only you can work out whether it is worthwhile or not.

This seems to be a bit difficult for some people...

(By you I mean the world at large not the quoted poster)

Edited by SteveH2508

Four of us travelling together decided to purchase the UBP. We decided that it would be one less variable expense to worry about. I'm not sure whether we broke even or not; but I betcha we were pretty close. Go with whatever will make your cruise more enjoyable. If you like to budget in advance & you think you might come close to the $$ figure then it makes sense.

Cheers,

Sandra

Edited by Samstress

yeah that's almost the price of another cruiser...

I think this post was rude. The poster you referred to said "a few (serious lushes) might." Okay, it was rude - to the lushes. Hopefully the shoes do not fit.

....I refuse to be ruled by a marketing package - if I want a drink I'll have one and I shall choose the drink I want, (not limited by a dollar amount) - if I do not - I won't. I make my own decisions. ....BTW - I am a lush - I drink a lot more than my doctor!:D

1 - Your honesty in "lushness" is appreciated.

2 - Nobody is being ruled by a marketing package. Nor should they pay by the drink if the package makes sense. They can either take it, or not. Nobody pushes it.