From Destiny to Sunshine: A Pictorial Retrospective And More!

DarthGrady

The old aft pool and its sliding glass dome were totally removed and a new deck was built above. Someone unfamiliar with this ship's past would never even know it had ever existed. In it's place is the new Havana Bar and Cucina del Capitano. Both are used as part of the buffet in the daytime. At night the Havana Bar becomes a Latin themed club, and the Cucina is a pay-extra Italian restaurant.

The new Havana Bar

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5559%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A64757338326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3C6%3B%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A647547%3A%3B326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu8367%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A64757348326nu0mrj

The old aft pool area. The actual bar in the Havana Bar would be right about in the middle of the pool.

232323232%7Ffp43372%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3333%3B55493326nu0mrj

The old sliding dome

232323232%7Ffp43372%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3333%3B96%3B78326nu0mrj

You forgot about Jiji's which is located on the opposite site of Cucina.

I really enjoyed your pics and comparison! Well done and looks like a lot of work/thought was put into it….

Almost weekly I look at the 8-day Southern Caribbean itinerary to Grand Turk, Aruba, and Bonaire featuring the Sunshine. I almost pull the trigger and then I consider the buffet and the 4 sea days aboard a ship with the lowest PSR of any Carnival ship and also lower than any ship I've ever been on….I just can't do it. Reading the comments here only makes me feel better about it…

Thanks Darth! Always great to read your reviews! :)

Now, if Carnival would redo and modernize the interior of some of it's older ships (knock, knock Sensation, Ecstasy, Fantasy, etc) like they did with the Sunshine, I think that it would make the experience much more enjoyable and they'd get more life out of these ships. I'm not asking for a full blown architectural rebuild, but at least the cosmetic aspect of it.

Yes, please!!!!!

Thank you! Your pictures are wonderful and I loved seeing the old vs the new.

I only saw Destiny once. We were on a Holland America cruise when the generator went out for several hours. We were docked next to Destiny so they let all the Holland America passengers board Destiny to get food and drinks and use the facilities. I just remember it being dark and there was mauve corrugated metal all over the walls. Ick! :) Sunshine looks so much lighter and brighter.

I agree with you about the addition of more cabins. Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas was expanded to add more cabins. It made the pool deck huge, which was great, but the buffet was the most crowded I've experienced on any ship. Not nearly big enough for all the extra people. I can't say I miss the Farcus decor at all but it does seem like most of the upgrades were meant to bring in more dollars.

thanks for the trip down memory lane! The Destiny was our first 7 day cruise and our first balcony..when she was about 12 weeks old!! We loved the corrugated metal!! Have really wanted to sail the Sunshine..but just cannot get past the higher prices...and now I know the passenger ratio is higher...not good:mad:

But thanks again...loved all the pictures!!

It looks like she got a new build plaque, I believe the original one said Carnival Destiny on it. I'm glad they just left the name off, putting Sunshine on there with the build year wouldn't have been correct.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5%3B7%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B5565%3A797235ot1lsi

Grady, this was a great comparison. I never sailed on Destiny - but docked next to her in San Juan back when she was doing the 7-day runs out of San Juan. Similarly, haven't sailed Sunshine - but she was in port with us for 3 of our 4 ports on a Western itinerary this past August. She looks like a nice ship, but I too worry about the additional passenger load. We're doing the 8-day Southern itinerary this summer, but aboard Breeze.:cool:

A note about the builder's plate: normally the ship's name does not appear on the plate, just the hull number (5941 in this case). It helps appease the sea gods when the ship's name is changed.;)

Thanks so much for putting this together.:cool:

Grady, this was a great comparison. I never sailed on Destiny - but docked next to her in San Juan back when she was doing the 7-day runs out of San Juan. Similarly, haven't sailed Sunshine - but she was in port with us for 3 of our 4 ports on a Western itinerary this past August. She looks like a nice ship, but I too worry about the additional passenger load. We're doing the 8-day Southern itinerary this summer, but aboard Breeze.:cool:

A note about the builder's plate: normally the ship's name does not appear on the plate, just the hull number (5941 in this case). It helps appease the sea gods when the ship's name is changed.;)

Thanks so much for putting this together.:cool:

I appreciate the compliments! And that makes sense about the plate. Maybe they just gave it a good cleaning during the dry dock.

You did an amazing comparison review. I was married on my Destiny cruise and I have lots of pictures and vivid memories. I would not have known what was what without your before pictures. Thank you so much for posting!!

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I were married on the Destiny exactly 8 years ago today and will be sailing on the Sunshine in a couple of months. Can't wait to see it! Thanks for the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed them! Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for doing this comparison. You must have put a lot of effort into it:) I sailed on the Destiny several years ago, and now on the Sunshine this Sunday. It was great to see the comparison.

No problem at all. I'd been wanting to do it for awhile, I just couldn't seem to get the ship tour scheduled.

Thank you sooo much for the in depth comparison of this ship! I love seeing things like this b/c I tend to forget how things were after such a dramatic 'face lift'... It's really neat to see how the decks have changed. I will be sailing on the Sunshine in less than 3 months in one of her newer deck 5 OV cabins. I'm one of those people that like to know the ins and outs before sailing...

This was just what I needed! So again, thank you for taking the time to do this :)

I remember when my friend and I were closer (she was a second career travel agent and has a photographic memory for clients..numbers, rooms they are in..ship details amazing) and her call and going over the Inaugural on the Destiny..I got all the "poop" an all the new ships for years...now she is strictly luxury traveler and agent and we are just out of touch.

That is sad as is the feeling that it was yesterday when that ship was new and that is how all the Fantasy class got the circular horseshoe bars ( I think after the Destiny)..something I love.

Darn I turned 55 this year and lost mom in 2012 and dad is 80 and tough and slowly closing things down he used to handle..very slowly thank God as he still handles alot...need a young fun cruise thing...or any fun easy travel thing...this was great but makes me sad...always the nostalgic type here.

As always...thanks a million, it was wonderful..she is pretty old and new and I wish for all people on her the right cabin and right experience, may the obvious snags not affect you and I am sure they do not affect many...those of us in the know and those with space issues (moi) have to plan carefully on her ...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I remember when my friend and I were closer (she was a second career travel agent and has a photographic memory for clients..numbers, rooms they are in..ship details amazing) and her call and going over the Inaugural on the Destiny..I got all the "poop" an all the new ships for years...now she is strictly luxury traveler and agent and we are just out of touch.

That is sad as is the feeling that it was yesterday when that ship was new and that is how all the Fantasy class got the circular horseshoe bars ( I think after the Destiny)..something I love.

Darn I turned 55 this year and lost mom in 2012 and dad is 80 and tough and slowly closing things down he used to handle..very slowly thank God as he still handles alot...need a young fun cruise thing...or any fun easy travel thing...this was great but makes me sad...always the nostalgic type here.

As always...thanks a million, it was wonderful..she is pretty old and new and I wish for all people on her the right cabin and right experience, may the obvious snags not affect you and I am sure they do not affect many...those of us in the know and those with space issues (moi) have to plan carefully on her ...Sarah

Thank you sooo much for the in depth comparison of this ship! I love seeing things like this b/c I tend to forget how things were after such a dramatic 'face lift'... It's really neat to see how the decks have changed. I will be sailing on the Sunshine in less than 3 months in one of her newer deck 5 OV cabins. I'm one of those people that like to know the ins and outs before sailing...

This was just what I needed! So again, thank you for taking the time to do this :)

No problems at all, glad you both enjoyed it!