Choosing Between Cruise Lines

gtojr

We are fairly experienced cruisers and have been given the chance of a free cruise to Alaska from my company. I have checked the allowed ships and have narrowed it down from about 15 choices to one RCCL ship and one of two Princess Ships. The itineraries are roughly the same with one exception: RCCL stops at Icy Straight Point while Princess cruises through Glacier Bay National Park. We have never cruised Princess but have cruised RCCL a couple of times. Can anyone give me an idea of comparison between the two lines in general? Also, can anyone tell me if Princess actuals docks in the National Park or just cruises through? Thanks for anything to help me make a decision!

We are fairly experienced cruisers and have been given the chance of a free cruise to Alaska from my company. I have checked the allowed ships and have narrowed it down from about 15 choices to one RCCL ship and one of two Princess Ships. The itineraries are roughly the same with one exception: RCCL stops at Icy Straight Point while Princess cruises through Glacier Bay National Park. We have never cruised Princess but have cruised RCCL a couple of times. Can anyone give me an idea of comparison between the two lines in general? Also, can anyone tell me if Princess actuals docks in the National Park or just cruises through? Thanks for anything to help me make a decision!

Personally, I'd take the cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Been there twice, and it's spectacular.

AFAIK, no ships actually port in Glacier Bay, it's cruising day. You spend all day there, turning the ship around several times so all sides get a good view.

Personally, I'd take the cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Been there twice, and it's spectacular.

AFAIK, no ships actually port in Glacier Bay, it's cruising day. You spend all day there, turning the ship around several times so all sides get a good view.

Not exactly true. We did a small ship cruise of AK (~50 passengers) and we docked at the pier at the Glacier Bay Visitor Center. We were there for several hours doing hikes and seeing the exhibits.

DON

Not exactly true. We did a small ship cruise of AK (~50 passengers) and we docked at the pier at the Glacier Bay Visitor Center. We were there for several hours doing hikes and seeing the exhibits.

DON

OK. I was just figuring that OP was address the larger cruise ships, since they specified they were considering RCCL & Princess.

I would take Princess for a number of reasons.

They include:

Glacier Bay. This is a very special day to see this iconic glacier and I would not miss this opportunity.

Princess. Princess has been sailing Alaska for a very long time as has HAL and Celebrity. I would do the Alaska cruise with them over RCI because of their experience in Alaska.

Keith

I think Princess and RCI are very similar cruise lines, especially comparing the ships that cruise Alaska. RCI's Radiance and Vision Class ships are very comparable to Princess. Between the 2 cruise lines, I consider it a wash. In this case, I recommend Princess. I've been to both Glacier Bay and Icy Strait and I highly recommend the Glacier Bay itinerary. It's certainly the most scenic day of Alaska cruising.

Princess. Princess has been sailing Alaska for a very long time as has HAL and Celebrity. I would do the Alaska cruise with them over RCI because of their experience in Alaska.

I see this posted every now and then and it doesn't make sense to me. How does that make any difference? :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

Glacier Bay is one of the most spectacular days you can experience on a cruise. Watching the glaciers calve and hearing the sound is absolutely amazing. The colors of the glaciers are also incredible and there is wildlife. I remember seeing a sea lion using an iceberg like a pool float while her baby playfully swam around and around her. Glacier Bay is so extraordinary, it has to be seen to be believed. For this reason, I would choose the Princess cruise. An Alaska cruise is about looking at scenery and wildlife from the ship and going on shore excursions. The ship does not matter as much as the itinerary. That said, Princess and RCCL's older ships are more similar than different. I have cruised Princess 3 times and I have cruised RCCL 3 times - I have cruised most other major lines several times as well. Like anything else all the cruise lines have both good and bad points, but overall, they all have good points that outweigh their bad points, so I don't think there is any reason not to cruise a different line whenever the opportunity becomes available.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Thanks for the replies. Pretty much supports the other research I did last night. Not a huge fan of RCCL but never been on Princess so wanted to make sure I got some input. Regarding the beds-I did see that mentioned other places-a factor for me but more a matter of managing expectations for me. Time to book! Thanks again!

Our first cruise to Alaska was on Princess back in the 80's - wonderful.

Glacier Bay -- a must see. The ship will spend time and turning so that everyone has a chance to see the calving. We have seen Glacier Bay quite a few times and never tire of it.

Icy Straight Point -- this is a tender port and the place to see lots of whales if you don't book a whale watching tour out of Juneau.

[quote= (another poster mentioned that Holland and Princess are better choices for Alaska because they have more experience with sailing in Alaska)

I see this posted every now and then and it doesn't make sense to me. How does that make any difference? :confused:

I've sailed with different "experienced" and "inexperienced" cruiselines to Alaska and saw no reason to think that experience has much to do with it. Holland (HAL) and Princess only benefit because that they receive the bulk of the permits to cruise in Glacier Bay There is an antiquated rule based on seniority in issuing these permits.

NCL, Disney and RCL will provide a wonderful experience and if they go to Glacier Bay, you will discover almost identical experiences as the rangers sort of run the show onboard for the day. Many people haven't done the research to understand the policy on these permits. I believe only two large ships are allowed in each day.

I agree that this comment makes no sense. Except for Disney, all the major cruise lines have been in Alaska enough time to get the experience down pat, and I'm sure Disney's experience is excellent. Really, you choose the itinerary and your ship preference. Some people really have a strong preference.

Glacier Bay is spectacular! Just a word on your timing... do not pick the last cruise of the season. We did and found the staff to be very tired. I hear that normally, Princess is amazing in term of service but we did not experience that. The scenery more than made up for it and one can't complain too much when someone else makes your meals and your bed. =D