3rd time's the Charm

IRL_Joanie

Our first two days or so on board the NA there was a white card left in the "master power" slot near the door. It looked like a room key card except that it was white and had no passenger info printed on it. About the 3rd day the steward told me it was his card, and he had to take it. I have no idea if it was a master card or not, as I didn't try it in any door. Did the card you found look like that?

Yes the card looked as you describe here.

Our first two days or so on board the NA there was a white card left in the "master power" slot near the door. It looked like a room key card except that it was white and had no passenger info printed on it. About the 3rd day the steward told me it was his card, and he had to take it. I have no idea if it was a master card or not, as I didn't try it in any door. Did the card you found look like that?

I had one as well. They likely leave it in there so people know they have to have a card in there. I had to laugh at one port when security asked a pax for her card to scan her off the ship. She said she had to leave it in the slot so the lights would work. I have no idea why the lights would need to work when you're gone.

Edited by cruz chic

LOL, I have to laugh at those who think their Lights have to stay on when they are out of their room at a port or..... Our neighbors on one cruise aboard NA were almost in tears because they could not leave their stateroom to go eat in the MDR. Luckily Roger was able to assist them and they did not starve:)

I wonder at Sapper being able to tell a Master Key from any other type of key...... And, unfortunately that they left it on their stateroom desk instead of reporting with the key to the Front desk so the security problem could be resolved.

Oh well, HomeDam is one day closer and decision has to be made tonight to drive home or take a chance flying and having the plane make an emergency landing for me..... New Concentrator was waiting at the hotel however, once we got it plugged in and then went to check the batteries....only 1 shows it as being fully charged......Now it appears that there is a problem with the power supply and/or with the electrical power supply.......

BEFORE I FORGET: There is going to be an announcement by me on the Smoking Thread, shortly after I submit this post here.

HAL Shore Reps Eleanor and Yolanda asked me to tell everyone "HI!!" and "It's nice to know that we have fans from around the world!:D They are also CC members, NOW:)

OK, time to submit this and then go to the Smoking Thread.

Joanie

I had one as well. They likely leave it in there so people know they have to have a card in there.

In that case I doubt it was the master card. It would be interesting to see if it would open up a door.
That's what I'm thinking too ...

LOL, I have to laugh at those who think their Lights have to stay on when they are out of their room
I think some people have the mistaken idea that killing the lights also kills the outlets that are charging their phone or camera (etc) batteries. Edited by jtl513

In that case I doubt it was the master card. It would be interesting to see if it would open up a door.

I found it interesting that JTL said his steward "had" to have his card back. If they were just to activate the light switch any old card would do. I should have tried it in the door. I will the next time one turns up. :)

I found it interesting that JTL said his steward "had" to have his card back. If they were just to activate the light switch any old card would do. I should have tried it in the door. I will the next time one turns up. :)

Actually I believe Suparto, our Room Steward (and JTL's) needed his card back because he was rotating to Deck 10 and his card would do no one good since the new steward was not named Suparto.

Ah, Yes, John and I shared the same steward our first week:)

Joanie

Mine just disappeared from my slot one day. Hal is cheap, they likely don't want to keep giving out more and more cards. I have an example of what I mean. One time, I had a small cardboard piece of paper with a hand written number on it for a hal transfer. I put it in my pocket and it got a little bent. The hal rep went up one side of me and down the other. It's a piece of cardboard:rolleyes:.

LOL, I have to laugh at those who think their Lights have to stay on when they are out of their room at a port or..... Our neighbors on one cruise aboard NA were almost in tears because they could not leave their stateroom to go eat in the MDR. Luckily Roger was able to assist them and they did not starve:)

I wonder at Sapper being able to tell a Master Key from any other type of key...... And, unfortunately that they left it on their stateroom desk instead of reporting with the key to the Front desk so the security problem could be resolved.

Oh well, HomeDam is one day closer and decision has to be made tonight to drive home or take a chance flying and having the plane make an emergency landing for me..... New Concentrator was waiting at the hotel however, once we got it plugged in and then went to check the batteries....only 1 shows it as being fully charged......Now it appears that there is a problem with the power supply and/or with the electrical power supply.......

BEFORE I FORGET: There is going to be an announcement by me on the Smoking Thread, shortly after I submit this post here.

HAL Shore Reps Eleanor and Yolanda asked me to tell everyone "HI!!" and "It's nice to know that we have fans from around the world!:D They are also CC members, NOW:)

Joanie

Please enlighten me on how to tell the difference.

As to your suggestion that I was remiss in not standing in line at the front desk to report it, I was suffering from a migraine headache this morning and was hanging on for dear life wondering how I was going to get off the ship without some kind of assistance. Just getting to the front desk would have been torture and there might have been someone in line wearing perfume. Smells are intolerable when you have a migraine. I'm sure you can understand.

Actually I believe Suparto, our Room Steward (and JTL's) needed his card back because he was rotating to Deck 10 and his card would do no one good since the new steward was not named Suparto.

Ah, Yes, John and I shared the same steward our first week:)

Joanie

If the only function of the card was to put it in the light switch slot, any old card would have worked. He would not have needed "his" card. A library card will work in the light switch slot.

She said she had to leave it in the slot so the lights would work. I have no idea why the lights would need to work when you're gone.
Maybe she thought the switch was "keyed" to her card, like the door, and the steward wouldn't be able to turn on the lights to service the room without it. When the NA first sailed many people asked on CC if it had to be a room key card or just "any old card" in the slot.

Please enlighten me on how to tell the difference.

As to your suggestion that I was remiss in not standing in line at the front desk to report it, I was suffering from a migraine headache this morning and was hanging on for dear life wondering how I was going to get off the ship without some kind of assistance. Just getting to the front desk would have been torture and there might have been someone in line wearing perfume. Smells are intolerable when you have a migraine. I'm sure you can understand.

I have no idea either, but keep in mind you were the one that said it was a Master Key which is why I asked about it in the first place....

And I am sorry for your migraine. I have them at times so do understand.

Joanie

I don't really see how turning the card into the front desk would be different than leaving in in a locked room.

I guess I'm being really thick but if that blank card was a master key what good would it do to leave it in a passangers room? Wouldn't the steward need it to get in?

Edited by cruz chic

Sapper; my two cents for what it's worth; the card you found in your mailbox is not a master card rather, as has already been speculated, a card to place in the light switch near the front door, interior side. I can guarantee you that any room steward who would leave his/her assigned, so traceable, master key in a mailbox slot, open to anyone walking by in the public corridor would be fired on the spot! There should also have been a door stopper in the mail slot. Both items are used by the room stewards on turnaround day to get the room ready for the incoming pax

Sapper; my two cents for what it's worth; the card you found in your mailbox is not a master card rather, as has already been speculated, a card to place in the light switch near the front door, interior side. I can guarantee you that any room steward who would leave his/her assigned, so traceable, master key in a mailbox slot, open to anyone walking by in the public corridor would be fired on the spot! There should also have been a door stopper in the mail slot. Both items are used by the room stewards on turnaround day to get the room ready for the incoming pax

Thanks for the explanation, Copper. I can certainly understand the initial concern. So, this particular card cannot open the cabin door? That's a relief.

I don't really see how turning the card into the front desk would be different than leaving in in a locked room.

I guess I'm being really thick but if that blank card was a master key what good would it do to leave it in a passangers room? Wouldn't the steward need it to get in?

I guess if it was the master key the steward would sure have some explaining to do as to why it was out of his hands.

I guess if it was the master key the steward would sure have some explaining to do as to why it was out of his hands.

Let me clarify. I mean the cards that were in everyone's rooms. If those were masters what good would they be in everyone's power slots? The steward would then need another master to gain access to rooms. I realize copper has since answered the question. Thx for the info copper.

<snip>

Joanie

Joanie,

In addition to your own health and safety, I hope you consider not flying if you suspect there is a chance you would be the source of an emergency landing. The others on your flight would be so inconvenienced when you could have avoided it. That's rather negative attention especially given the time of year and people eager to get to their holiday destinations, you probably want to think of all the people who would have their plans all messed up. You aren't really considering risking that, are you?

Wishing you a safe home and hoping you get there with no drama required. :)

I always use an old, worthless bank card in the power slot at the doorway. Any card will work. I never put my key card/ID in that slot.

I leave a few of those useless old cards in my carryon so I always have one if needed. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you so much, Copper, for the "splainin'". If I had known it would cause such a kerfuffle I wouldn't have mentioned it. Merry Christmas to you and the Mrs. :)

Sapper; my two cents for what it's worth; the card you found in your mailbox is not a master card rather, as has already been speculated, a card to place in the light switch near the front door, interior side.

At the risk of sounding stooped :D .... I've never noticed a card slot near the cabin's front door, interior side. We've only sailed the Westerdam twice and Ryndam once if that makes a difference. We're booked on the Eurodam this spring.

What is it for or what does it do?

At the risk of sounding stooped :D .... I've never noticed a card slot near the cabin's front door, interior side. We've only sailed the Westerdam twice and Ryndam once if that makes a difference. We're booked on the Eurodam this spring.

That technology is only installed on the two Signature-class ships; EUDM & NADM. It's an energy-saving doohickey; with the card inside the slot, the lights come on

Edited by Copper10-8

This feature is only on the NA. It operates the lights in the cabin.

As far as I know, the only ship that has this feature is the Nieuw Amsterdam; I don't recall it on the E-dam, and know I have never encountered it on any of the other ships.

It's a feature that requires a card be kept in the slot for the lights to stay on. The idea was you come in, place your cabin key in the slot, and you can use the lights. When you leave, and take the key with you, the lights aren't left running with no one using them. Saves power. It's also a way of being sure where your cabin key is.

There's lots of work-arounds that defeat that purpose.

That technology is only installed on the two Signature-class ships; EUDAM & NADM. It's an energy-saving doohickey; with the card inside the slot, the lights come on

If it's on the Eurodam it must be new. I've sailed that ship twice, the second time being in oct 2013. It did not have the feature then.