3rd time's the Charm

IRL_Joanie

At the risk of sounding stooped :D .... I've never noticed a card slot near the cabin's front door, interior side. We've only sailed the Westerdam twice and Ryndam once if that makes a difference. We're booked on the Eurodam this spring.

What is it for or what does it do?

The NA is sort of like a European hotel. To save on electricity, you need some sort of key card (any key card) in the light switch or you have no lights, tv, etc.

Totally different from the other ships in the Vista and S & R Fleet.

oops - there's an echo - sorry about that.

Edited by kazu

At the risk of sounding stooped :D .... I've never noticed a card slot near the cabin's front door, interior side. We've only sailed the Westerdam twice and Ryndam once if that makes a difference. We're booked on the Eurodam this spring.

What is it for or what does it do?

Thanks, I don't remember it on EUDM so its NADM only

I'm so glad you asked, summersigh :D I've never seen this on any ship, and was really starting to wonder about myself. :confused:

Thanks Copper, it makes sense now -- have never sailed the NA (yet) and I know we didn't have it on the Eurodam last July-August. :)

Seeing many of us leave an alternate card in the power slot, I'm not sure how much energy is actually saved. :o

Unless it is new (and I doubt it), Eurodam does not have that feature. I do remember it in a few hotels in Italy.

Seeing many of us leave an alternate card in the power slot, I'm not sure how much energy is actually saved. :o

Unless it is new (and I doubt it), Eurodam does not have that feature. I do remember it in a few hotels in Italy.

It was not on the E'dam three months ago. I leave a card in slot but always lift it when we leave ... but have sometimes come back to the room and found the lights left on by the steward. Still, anything saved is a plus.

Does the energy-saving feature turn off the outlet(s) also or just the lights when the card is taken out of the slot? Thanks, m--
Just the lights and TV.

Edited by jtl513

We use our key card for the lights and always remove it when we leave the room. Just seems to be much more awareness these days about being green and saving the planet that it starts to become second nature.

Yup, I lift my card up as well. I don't leave my lights on at home when I leave. I don't leave them on when I leave my cabin.

Like most others, I, too, am energy aware but I do leave a light on in my house when I go out at night. Though I have an excellent alarm system I always set, I don't want to return to a dark house. Same for my cabin on a ship, at night. I feel more secure when I enter a lit room. I don't leave all the lights but I freely admit to leaving at

least one. :o My peace of mind is worth it, IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm surprised HAL doesn't have this system on all it's ships, other lines we've sailed have. It's also a long time since we've stayed in hotels without them.

In the early years, we needed to wrap foil on the card (I used my ciggie packet and the foil inside - can be useful to be a smoker:)). We weren't concerned about the lights but without the card fridges and the air-con would turn off. Who wants to come back to a hot room and warm drinks:eek:.

BEFORE I FORGET: There is going to be an announcement by me on the Smoking Thread, shortly after I submit this post here.

OK, time to submit this and then go to the Smoking Thread.

Joanie

Where did you post the news, Joanie?:confused:

Like most others, I, too, am energy aware but I do leave a light on in my house when I go out at night. Though I have an excellent alarm system I always set, I don't want to return to a dark house. Same for my cabin on a ship, at night. I feel more secure when I enter a lit room. I don't leave all the lights but I freely admit to leaving at

least one. :o My peace of mind is worth it, IMO.

Usually they have the lights beside the bed on so it's enough light and those work without the card.

Usually they have the lights beside the bed on so it's enough light and those work without the card.

The bedside lights operate without the card? That's odd.

What's the point if the frig, the a/c, the bedside lights all operate? Perhaps keeping TV's off would make a difference.

Joanie,

In addition to your own health and safety, I hope you consider not flying if you suspect there is a chance you would be the source of an emergency landing. The others on your flight would be so inconvenienced when you could have avoided it. That's rather negative attention especially given the time of year and people eager to get to their holiday destinations, you probably want to think of all the people who would have their plans all messed up. You aren't really considering risking that, are you?

Wishing you a safe home and hoping you get there with no drama required. :)

:rolleyes: Your compassion & concern is overwhelming!

Have you actually ever met Joanie? We had the pleasure of doing so on the NA Collectors' Voyage 11/30 and she was so pleasant & friendly we sought her out often. She rendered helpful advice & assistance to several other passengers and always seemed to be surrounded by other cruisers who truly enjoyed her company.

Merry Christmas & may everyone have a blessed holiday.

:rolleyes: Your compassion & concern is overwhelming!

Have you actually ever met Joanie? We had the pleasure of doing so on the NA Collectors' Voyage 11/30 and she was so pleasant & friendly we sought her out often. She rendered helpful advice & assistance to several other passengers and always seemed to be surrounded by other cruisers who truly enjoyed her company.

Merry Christmas & may everyone have a blessed holiday.

So having an emergency landing is a good thing:confused:.

What's the point if the frig, the a/c, the bedside lights all operate? Perhaps keeping TV's off would make a difference.

I'm guessing the bedside lights continue to operate in case of emergency. I thought along with the LOUD speaker in the headboard the bedside lamps came on in the event of a general alarm.

I may be wrong as it was 3:30 am and I was not fully coherent when the alarm sounded but I seem to remember lights.

I guess you'll have to book a cruise on the NA to prove me wrong:D. Every night when I came "home" the 2 small lights were on before I plugged the card in. I think every bit of power you don't use is a good thing, but that's just me. I do have my xmas lights on a timer at my condo on the balcony so I guess all might lights are not off (during the xmas season).

I guess you'll have to book a cruise on the NA to prove me wrong:D. Every night when I came "home" the 2 small lights were on before I plugged the card in. I think every bit of power you don't use is a good thing, but that's just me. I do have my xmas lights on a timer at my condo on the balcony so I guess all might lights are not off (during the xmas season).

You're right; the "reading lights" on both sides fo the bed are always left on by the room stewards upon them finishing their turn-down service