3rd time's the Charm

IRL_Joanie

As noted on other threads, new requirements for Health Certificates for those preparing food, students are prohibited from trying what was prepared during the classes.

The dishes, correctly prepared by the PG staff, were served after the class and were pronounced "yummy" by the students. It must be noted that eight students consumed four bottles of red/white wine that was served both during the class and with the PG meal.

Pretty generous wine supply!!

I've not seen that much at any Cooking Class I've been to.

Thanks very much, Roger, for your detailed review of the Cooking Class. Very informative!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Also, our chef came very late, left early, the utensils were scant, and the knives were as dull as a board!

The wine however, was quite nice! :D

This sounds very familiar.

Unfortunately, HAL doesn't seem to be taking the Cooking Classes very seriously (anymore). Just a cheap Shorex, I guess.

Pretty generous wine supply!!

I've not seen that much at any Cooking Class I've been to.

Thanks very much, Roger, for your detailed review of the Cooking Class. Very informative!

The first two+ bottles were killed during the class!. That saying, "..idle hands...."

We, also, have gotten spoiled with the aft wraps, once you do, it's hard to be anywhere else....we have a fave and are going to be there n a few weeks, on the Zuiderdam and CANNOT wait !! I've been getting my "fix" while I wait, reading the CC pretty often........

Ours too!!!

Since I no longer consume alcohol, I can't comment on the quality. In my much younger days, free wine trumped quality. The chef was a female Haitian but did not say she cooked for a hotel.

Being it seems like you really can't cook at these 'cooking classes', at least it seems you can be happy drinking wine.:D:D:D

Hi Joanie

Roger just offered to take pictures of anything we wanted on POA1s thread, after we asked him if he had any pix of the Lido cabanas. He doesn't but Roger said he will be posting some next week--yay! We will be on this cruise in March, can't wait.

Anyway, when I realized you were both still onboard, I thought I would post and say hi and Merry Christmas.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise--it was cold and cloudy here all day and will be tomorrow too.

Mary Lynn (from the NE heights!)

Hi Joanie

Roger just offered to take pictures of anything we wanted on POA1s thread, after we asked him if he had any pix of the Lido cabanas. He doesn't but Roger said he will be posting some next week--yay! We will be on this cruise in March, can't wait.

Anyway, when I realized you were both still onboard, I thought I would post and say hi and Merry Christmas.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise--it was cold and cloudy here all day and will be tomorrow too.

Let me join with Mary Lynn in wishing you both Happy Holidays.

We do have a new website = halfacts.com (the link is in my signature)

Any pics, comments, menus you would like to share would help a TON of CC'ers

happy holidays:D

Edited by kazu

Hi Joanie

Joanie says "Hi". I will have the menus, On Locations, and any pics that you wish of the NA. We will be home on 12/23 and packing for Alaska in May.

Feliz Navidad

Question Crew News, on our Westerdam cruise there were no longer the Neptune's playing in Ocean Bar - they had the HALcats taking over that venue. How is it on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

It is Amber and the HALCats playing in the Ocean Bar this week.

Are they really loud?

Does the sound carry down into Pinnacle? We experienced that one or

two cruises and it was very disruptive to the Pinnacle Grill atmosphere.

Thanks Crew News, I think Hal has gotten rite of the Neptunes and in there place is the HALcats, just another money saving cut to the entertainment staff. To bad as they are sorely in need of more and better entertainment.

Are they really loud?

I can report that Jason and the HALCats were playing last year on the Zuiderdam going to the Panama Canal. Not only was Jason off key, the band was very loud and destroyed any ambiance the Pinnacle Grill had.

Since Joanie and I are normally the PG's first customers at 5:30 and we finish before the HALCats start at 6:30 PM, I cannot answer your question.

Hi Joanie and Roger!

We just got home a few days ago from a 9 week tour across Europe that included 3 cruises: first Norway's Hurtigruten, then Viking river cruise and the last one on Maasdam from Rome to Ft Lauderdale. It was another amazing trip for us but pretty busy, not like your wonderful relaxing vacation. And I'm checking in on the Boards now and so happy to see that you two are living the life! Love following along with you. Joanie, don't let that deck chair cool off! And special joys seeing the photo of Roger proudly waving our Zia sun symbol. Thanks Roger! We brought snow home to the NM mountains, got 5" Sunday and expect another 5" tomorrow... so good for us, and town is getting some moisture too!!

Stay well and Enjoy it all! Feliz Navidad....

Maureen

Are they really loud?

Yes the sound carries down into the Pinnacle because as you know the HALcats are loud. We usually are more in the back of the restaurant but I think if you were in the front of the restaurant it could be quite disruptive.

Best bet is the Adagio strings. They are now down to 2 members but their music is soothing for digestion. We thought the B B King troupe was too loud for the Queen's Lounge. HAL Cats have always been loud wherever they play. Younger cruisers think that loud is better I guess but honestly, it is nice to have a conversation and glass of bubbly while they are playing--not alkaseltzer (sp). Some members of the HAL Cats and Adagio joined together to play for N Amsterdam's Cantare show in the main Showroom. They were just great and talented. When you have a group of singers, the instruments have to be subtle at times. B B King group was wonderful; just loud for the room

Just a few notes on my Tamarind Lunch.

Indeed reservations are required but with perhaps one or two no-shows, it is possible to squeeze into a table with others.

The only choice on the menu is the dessert course. With the exception of any allergies to items that may be omitted everything else is non-negotiable. I found the salad dressing quite spicy but someone else really liked it. Two Vegans at our table discovering they could only eat the salad, declared the lunch "not worth the cost" (free??) and departed without eating.

The service was quick but unlike the Tamarind dinner, the food was not memorable to other than dim sum and spring roll lovers.

Here is the current Tamarind Lunch menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/NA-Tamarind-Lunch.pdf

There will be a quickly-organized dinner tonight for a number of CC members in the Tamarind tonight.

My two dinners in the Tamarind on this cruise were excellent, and unlike the MDR, the service was very efficient.

Here is the current Tamarind Dinner menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Dinner-Menu.pdf

We just got home a few days ago from a 9 week tour across Europe that included 3 cruises: first Norway's Hurtigruten, then Viking river cruise and the last one on Maasdam from Rome to Ft Lauderdale. It was another amazing trip for us but pretty busy, ....

Welcome home, Maureen! Your cruise sounds so exciting.

Settle back in; deal with the holidays; and sometime (soon?) please do tell us all about it! I am especially looking forward to the Hurtigruten & Viking cruises, but the Maasdam matters, too. ;)

I was interested in your cooking class experience as it was completely different from what my husband and I experienced on the NA. (not doubting you, please don't misunderstand)

We were on the 24 day Collectors (Venice to FLL) so had the opportunity to participate in 2 classes. Chef Tomas from the Pinnacle led the class. It was very much a "hands on" class. Chef Tomas taught several mini lessons on proper technique including knife work. He even brought a whet (sp?) stone and taught us how to properly sharpen knives. He moved from group to group offering assistance and advice as well as fun little tidbits from his own training and experience. We did all the preparation but did not consume anything per health regs. We did have to complete the health form and carefully wash hands. Wine was provided both during the cooking time and in the Pinnacle. One participant in our group announced that she was allergic to onions just before class (wish she had thought to mention it before class began and the menu was set) and Chef Tomas made every effort to adjust the menu to accommodate her and prepared a different sauce for her fish for our lunch.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I'm so sorry to hear that your experience was so different, but perhaps each chef has a different approach.

I hope people will continue to try the class and offer feedback to HAL so the quality of the experience isn't diminished.

Welcome home, Maureen! Your cruise sounds so exciting.

Settle back in; deal with the holidays; and sometime (soon?) please do tell us all about it! I am especially looking forward to the Hurtigruten & Viking cruises, but the Maasdam matters, too. ;)

Thank you Ruth! Right now I m enjoying the snowfall as I prepare to start laundry. I will post a short comparison of the 3 very different cruises. But just as an appetizer, and I know you had asked, the hurtigruten had amazing food, not so the viking, imho, and to my great surprise. Enjoy all your holday celebrating. m--