Taking wine onboard

sandy999

What loophole. BVE pays for boarding privileges and they say you can bring wine. Why not have a whole bottle with friends during lunch instead of the glass of house wine they give you? Am saving Princess money not drinking their wine and bringing my own. Please explain why a BVE guest should not be allowed to bring wine on?

Like pablo222 said, they can do as they want but it still appears as a loophole to me. I suppose it's more difficult to weed out the few BVE people during scanning then it is to just let them walk past.

Now say you buy the same stuff on board @ $40 per bottle plus the 15% extra or $55 per bottle. Your six bottles bought on board will cost a total of $330.
The math is off in the example. The 15 percent service charge would bring the cost of those bottles to $46 each for a total of $276. That's still a savings over the $198 you would have spent.

The math is off in the example. The 15 percent service charge would bring the cost of those bottles to $46 each for a total of $276. That's still a savings over the $198 you would have spent.

I guess that I can not multiply. But as you say, I would prefer to spend $198 than $276. That is almost 2 bottles of wine. The people who drink really good wine really make out by bringing the stuff on board.

We did a HAL cruise a while back when you could bring on as much as you want. We ordered a case of stuff at a wine store where we embarked and took it on board with our luggage. Those were the days. Sigh!!

DON

I guess that I can not multiply. But as you say, I would prefer to spend $198 than $276. That is almost 2 bottles of wine. The people who drink really good wine really make out by bringing the stuff on board.

We did a HAL cruise a while back when you could bring on as much as you want. We ordered a case of stuff at a wine store where we embarked and took it on board with our luggage. Those were the days. Sigh!!

DON

Bigger bucks per bottle sure makes it worthwhile depending on the Princess price - but even on cheaper wine it's better to bring you own. Example - Berringer White Zin - pretty much $4 a bottle anywhere - add the $15 and your cost is $19. They charge $24 for an even cheaper brand on the ship :-)

One bottle of wine pp is allowed to be brought onboard by people doing the BVE. It was done by our daughter and boyfriend when they did the BVE on our sailing. They left the bottles with us. :)

Edited by janetz

Like pablo222 said, they can do as they want but it still appears as a loophole to me. I suppose it's more difficult to weed out the few BVE people during scanning then it is to just let them walk past.

Yes, Princess sets the rules. I pay my money and I follow those rules. Since other guests can bring wine onboard as well I fail to see how this is a loophole, I'm not doing something other guests can't do. I also can not understand why it is an issue to you? Please explain to me your position on this.

I wish other cruiselines offered something like BVE, I'd give them all my money to be able to tour ships and have lunch.

Yes, Princess sets the rules. I pay my money and I follow those rules. Since other guests can bring wine onboard as well I fail to see how this is a loophole

Let's see -- you have two groups of guests -- regular passengers,

and Bon Voyage.

BVE guests get to board early, get a glass of wine with their

embarcation lunch in the dining room, and get a free boarding picture.

Regular guests do not.

There certainly seem to be some differences.

I think it is great that you have posted this, and brought it

to Princess's attention!

Let's see -- you have two groups of guests -- regular passengers,

and Bon Voyage.

BVE guests get to board early, get a glass of wine with their

embarcation lunch in the dining room, and get a free boarding picture.

Regular guests do not.

There certainly seem to be some differences.

I think it is great that you have posted this, and brought it

to Princess's attention!

You mean I pay for what Princess advertises and then Princess delivers what they advertise...and you see this as a problem how exactly? What am I bringing to Princess's attention? They know what they market and sell already and are not forum sponsors, so I'm not having a discussion with them.

I specifically asked for an explanation of why this is a problem or why you think it is a loophole, and instead you succinctly explained what the BVE program provides when you pay for it.

How do you feel about Princess refunding the BVE cost when you book a future cruise, and if you do so while ON the BVE you can even take advantage of the onboard booking offer?

BVE is a sales and marketing tactic by Princess. It would be even more successful if they advertised it properly and administered it at ports more smoothly, but that's another story. If you can't even explain exactly why you have a problem with what Princess markets and sells I suggest you just stop whining about it. Princess is the only cruise line sailing from North America that offers these events and I can assure you they have reaped thousands of dollars in bookings in part do to multiple BVE's I have participated in. You're free to go do a BVE and take advantage of all it has to offer if you wish.

Do you know what regular guests get to do that BVE guests do not get to do? Go on a cruise. When you break it down, BVE guests spend more per hour than a regular guest does because you are only onboard about three hours. Oh, yeah, Princess happily takes my credit card at check in to facilitate onboard purchases as well. If Princess did not benefit from this marketing tool they would stop offering it.

So again, what's your problem?

So again, what's your problem?

What's my problem? That's rather belligerent and insulting.

Any chance I can simply disagree with you?

I am constantly astounded by what people post on cruise critic.

Edited by pablo222

We have some very inexpensive wines that we really like. Therefore, we just buy a case, wrap it up with twine and a label and check it as luggage. They may or may not charge a corkage fee on 10 bottles, but it really doesn't matter. If they do charge the corkage fee, they stamp the bottles and you can take them into the dining room with no additional charge. If they don't charge the corkage fee, you pay it in the dining room so it is really six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Just be prepared to pay the corkage without complaining if they ask for it. :D

We have some very inexpensive wines that we really like. Therefore, we just buy a case, wrap it up with twine and a label and check it as luggage. They may or may not charge a corkage fee on 10 bottles, but it really doesn't matter. If they do charge the corkage fee, they stamp the bottles and you can take them into the dining room with no additional charge. If they don't charge the corkage fee, you pay it in the dining room so it is really six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Just be prepared to pay the corkage without complaining if they ask for it. :D

You guys have just the right attitude. Don't worry about the small stuff and regard everything as small stuff.

DON

Yes, Princess sets the rules. I pay my money and I follow those rules. Since other guests can bring wine onboard as well I fail to see how this is a loophole, I'm not doing something other guests can't do. I also can not understand why it is an issue to you? Please explain to me your position on this.

I wish other cruiselines offered something like BVE, I'd give them all my money to be able to tour ships and have lunch.

Being a loophole is only my perception of the the situation. Obviously Princess sees nothing wrong with it , so enjoy while it lasts.

Why not have your partner also bring aboard a bottle & you can leave it with your sailing guests to enjoy without having the pay the $15 charge. ;)

BVE pays for boarding privileges and they say you can bring wine. Why not have a whole bottle with friends during lunch instead of the glass of house wine they give you?
Sure they can bring wine, but in your scenario, since they drink it in the dining room, they should have to pay corkage.

But I don't see anything wrong with them giving the bottle to another passenger who is actually cruising, for them to drink in their stateroom. If I were cruising with a group of 6 people, and one guy had a case of wine (for himself), we would be happy to carry on one bottle each and give them back to him once on board, thus saving him 5 corkage fees. Is this a loophole? Stealing from Princess? They don't say anywhere that the bottle you carry on must be drunk by you, and that you can't give your allowance to someone else, do they?

What's my problem? That's rather belligerent and insulting.

Any chance I can simply disagree with you?

I am constantly astounded by what people post on cruise critic.

You seem upset about the situation and rules that Princess sets forth and we abide by. I'm simply asking why is it a problem for you? I genuinely don't understand why this concerns you. Do you disagree to me operating under the rules Princess sets forth? If your problem is with the rules, take it up with Princess, your disagreement is with them, not with me. Is something being taken away from you? Should I not be entitled to the services and amenities Princess advertises with BVE? You haven't even stated a position, you just keep throwing petty little comments out that have no context and no meaning.

Oh, by the way, I saw what you originally posted before editing it. What you originally had posted did not even make sense! How does me PAYING to go on a BVE save me $15 on wine? What am I missing?

A laugh you calling me belligerent in your edited post, but hurling insults at me in your original one. Nice try to cover your tracks. And you still haven't managed to formulate a thought to support your position.

Quite astounding...

Sure they can bring wine, but in your scenario, since they drink it in the dining room, they should have to pay corkage.

But I don't see anything wrong with them giving the bottle to another passenger who is actually cruising, for them to drink in their stateroom. If I were cruising with a group of 6 people, and one guy had a case of wine (for himself), we would be happy to carry on one bottle each and give them back to him once on board, thus saving him 5 corkage fees. Is this a loophole? Stealing from Princess? They don't say anywhere that the bottle you carry on must be drunk by you, and that you can't give your allowance to someone else, do they?

The last BVE I did we brought on our bottle of wine and had it up on our friends balcony with fresh pizza from the Lido deck. We did not go to the dining room for the lunch which we had paid for and did not drink the wine we had paid for. We did get the boarding photo though:cool:

Whatever I choose to do with my bottle of wine, Princess has allowed me to bring it on and I am well within the rules to drink it, share it, walk off the ship with it, throw it out, etc. If I were to bring my own wine onboard and open it in the dining room I would fully expect to be charged a corkage fee, that is in their published rules.

And you still haven't managed to formulate a thought to support your position.

Ah, still more petty insults. Thanks for the thought.

Here is the princess policy for you:

"As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*"

First, I don't think a bon voyage guest is completing a voyage, and the

policy is per voyage, BVE guests are excluded.

Second, a BVE guest has no stateroom within which to consume wine.

They therefore fall into the group consuming wine brought on board

and consumed outside their stateroom. Logically, they have to.

Therefore, they should pay the $15 corkage charge.

You have no basis for your position -- other than following the thousands

of other posts on cruise critic -- it's all about me, the rules don't apply

to me, etc. The sentiment is rampant here. It's very childish.

Finally, in my opinion, this issue is simply an oversite in the policy.

Just like coffee cards being used for ever.

If enough people brag about how they are entitled to bring wine onboard

for BVE, princess will close the loophole, just as they did for life-time

coffee cards.

Many of the posters here are like prision inmates -- they spend years

of their sentences studying some tiny little detail of princess trying to

figure out how to game it. Very amusing.

Ah, still more petty insults. Thanks for the thought.

"As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*"

You have no basis for your position -- other than following the thousands

of other posts on cruise critic -- it's all about me, the rules don't apply

to me, etc. The sentiment is rampant here. It's very childish.

Finally, in my opinion, this issue is simply an oversite in the policy.

Just like coffee cards being used for ever.

If enough people brag about how they are entitled to bring wine onboard

for BVE, princess will close the loophole, just as they did for life-time

coffee cards.

Many of the posters here are like prision inmates -- they spend years

of their sentences studying some tiny little detail of princess trying to

figure out how to game it. Very amusing.

I do what Princess advertises and allows and you compare me to a prison inmate? Start making sense...

"As provided in the Passage Contract, …"

I don't know for sure if BVE guests are bound by the same passage contract as ordinary cruise passengers, or if they have to agree to a different contract that spells out a different alcohol policy. If the normal passage contract applies, then words that are used throughout like "passage", "cruise", "voyage", "travel" have to be interpreted in a way that makes sense for the BVE. I am not a lawyer but I don't believe you could get out of paying for your BVE by arguing that the contract says "You must pay your Cruise Fare" but you're not going on a cruise…

BVE guests are often accompanied by passengers that are sailing, and those passengers have a stateroom. The contract does not say that you have to consume the wine in your own stateroom. Of course if they bring on a bottle of wine and choose to drink it in the dining room or in another public area, they should pay the $15, I think everyone agrees on that. Edited by hawkeyetlse

Everyone flips out re the $15 corkage fee. Nobody actually bothers to do the math or they would realize that bringing as much wine as you want and paying the $15 per bottle is a great deal.

Say you usually drink wine that costs $20 per bottle. This wine will cost you at least $40 per bottle on the ship. However, if you buy a half case of wine on land, you can usually save 10% so 6 bottles of $20 wine will cost you not $120 but $108. Add to this the $15 corkage so your total cost for 6 bottles of wine will be $198.

Now say you buy the same stuff on board @ $40 per bottle plus the 15% extra or $55 per bottle. Your six bottles bought on board will coast a total of $330.

Therefore, you save $132 by bringing your wine on board even with the corkage fee.

If you buy cheaper wine, your savings will be less and it is a trivial matter to calculate the break even point. If you buy more expensive wine, you savings will be more.

I always find it interesting that people ignore this when worrying about the $15 corkage fee.

DON

It is like folks that buy a $25000 hybrid to save money. Can't do the math.

Great post.

I don't know for sure if BVE guests are bound by the same passage contract as ordinary cruise passengers, or if they have to agree to a different contract that spells out a different alcohol policy. If the normal passage contract applies, then words that are used throughout like "passage", "cruise", "voyage", "travel" have to be interpreted in a way that makes sense for the BVE. I am not a lawyer but I don't believe you could get out of paying for your BVE by arguing that the contract says "You must pay your Cruise Fare" but you're not going on a cruise…

BVE guests are often accompanied by passengers that are sailing, and those passengers have a stateroom. The contract does not say that you have to consume the wine in your own stateroom. Of course if they bring on a bottle of wine and choose to drink it in the dining room or in another public area, they should pay the $15, I think everyone agrees on that.

In addition to this consider the person you are responding to perceives there to be a loophole, where there is really not one. His request is that Princess remove an amenity that a BVE guest is paying for. What does this amenity take away from a full cruise guest? Nothing I can see. What does the poster we are responding to gain by taking away from other guests? Nothing I can see. That is why I ask for them to explain their position. I do not see what they possibly gain by having something taken from others, when it does not impact them in any way. Maybe they are just the type that love to watch other people and spend their vacation tallying up wrongdoings by others and badgering guest services about it.

Further the condescension and repeated insinuations that BVE guests are crooks is hysterical. He still has yet to explain how by doing exactly what Princess says I can do that I'm in the wrong.

Yes, I have agreed that if we drank the bottle in a public area we would pay corkage. That's not even a topic for debate or further discussion really.

Go back and look at the original question I answered. "Can BVE guest bring on wine." That was the entire question. The answer was "yes". Which is factually accurate. Call Princess, they will tell you!

His request is that Princess remove an amenity that a BVE guest is paying for.
BVE guests don't actually pay for anything, if they use their $35 cruise credit down the line. But it doesn't matter, all that matters is what rules Princess makes for the BVE, and in my opinion it is just not worth the bother for them to define and enforce a separate alcohol policy for BVE guests. What would be the point? The BVE is like 50 guests per cruise, if they got a corkage fee from all of them they would rake in a whopping $750. :rolleyes: