Passport Question

pitapitayo

Guess it depends on who you are talking to. I wanted a one way from new York to San Juan and was told I needed a passport for this type of cruise.

People here posted they used a birth certificate and drivers license

If you happen to live in a state that has official enhanced driver's licenses you can use that in place of a passport. The only states that have them are Michigan, Vermont, New York, Minnesota and Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

this is not true for non closed looped cruises. (which the OPs cruise is one)

this is not true for non closed looped cruises. (which the OPs cruise is one)

The enhanced driver's license from the 5 states I listed essentially functions the same as a passport card. It can be used for land and sea crossings but not air. I researched the issue because I booked the repo cruise on the liberty and my son already has an enhanced driver's license so I wanted to make sure that would work. I have found several places to confirm that it will work and when I posted to confirm on cruise critic I heard from several people who had used the edl on open jaw sailings.

The enhanced driver's license from the 5 states I listed essentially functions the same as a passport card. It can be used for land and sea crossings but not air. I researched the issue because I booked the repo cruise on the liberty and my son already has an enhanced driver's license so I wanted to make sure that would work. I have found several places to confirm that it will work and when I posted to confirm on cruise critic I heard from several people who had used the edl on open jaw sailings.

im still skeptical. this is the verbiage from the customs and border protection

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants).

I just found this so I think you are correct

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport.

However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license () as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports, or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises.

Edited by hftmrock

Nope. You don't need a passport. A friend of mine did our last cruise with just a birth certificate and driver's license just to prove he could. A tone telling you that you need one has never tried it. I always use one for fear of getting left behind. However, YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT WHEN GOING FROM ONE US PORT TO ANOTHER.

Carnival Destiny 2010

Carnival Liberty 2013

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Sensation B2B 2014

Carnival Splendor B2B 2014

Carnival Liberty 2015

Nope. You don't need a passport. A friend of mine did our last cruise with just a birth certificate and driver's license just to prove he could. A tone telling you that you need one has never tried it. I always use one for fear of getting left behind. However, YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT WHEN GOING FROM ONE US PORT TO ANOTHER.

Carnival Destiny 2010

Carnival Liberty 2013

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Sensation B2B 2014

Carnival Splendor B2B 2014

Carnival Liberty 2015

I have read that CCL doesn't require a passport for the sailing from San Juan to Texas, but since this is at odds with what CBP says I am not sure that I would chance it. EDL, passport card or passport are what the DHS regulations require. If I were going on the sailing and had another government ID to present (I have an EDL) I might test it, but I wouldn't personally show up with just a birth certificate/photo ID unless it's clearly stated in CCL's FAQ that it isn't required.

So the book answer is you need an EDL, passport card or passport for this itinerary. (And yes, EDL's and passport cards may be used for open jaw sailings within the WHTI.)

I would not waste the money on a passport card-- it does the same thing as a drivers license

Not really- with a regular license you also need your birth certificate. And it all depends on your travel needs. If all you do is cruise in the western hemisphere the card is good for open jaw and closed loop cruises and if you live near a border it's good for that too. Anothrr benefit is you are already in the state department's database so if something happens and you had to fly home it would speed the process up.

I would not waste the money on a passport card-- it does the same thing as a drivers license

It's also a waste of money to get a book, because it is not needed, but the majority of people keep it locked in their safe where it is useless. At least with the card, it can get wet, and you can swim with it, and it is easy to keep on your person instead of locked away.

It will also expedite transportation back to the US if in the very rare chance it is needed.

It is not a drivers license. A DL is needed to drive legally, but is a state ID card. A passport does not allow you to drive, and is a federal ID card. Not sure why you think it is the same thing.

I love how so many people are experts at traveling requirements. The vast array of opinions in this thread should serve as sufficient proof that it is better to be safe than sorry. The last thing I would want is to show up for my vacation and be denied because I did not have proper documentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's also a waste of money to get a book, because it is not needed, but the majority of people keep it locked in their safe where it is useless. At least with the card, it can get wet, and you can swim with it, and it is easy to keep on your person instead of locked away.

It will also expedite transportation back to the US if in the very rare chance it is needed. .

A passport card will not give your transportation back to the US. That is what I meant that it serves as well as a drivers license on a cruise.

The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

A passport card will not give your transportation back to the US. That is what I meant that it serves as well as a drivers license on a cruise.

But it does not, because a DL does not act as proof of citizenship. A foreign person can get and do get DL's. However the card is an official proof of citizenship.

The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

However, it will expedite travel back in the event of an emergency. It has all the same requirements to obtain as the book.

Most people who have the card get it for convenience, and like myself, do not worry about all the what if's that might happen.

Saying it is a waste of money is not true. Remember that any passport is useless unless it is kept in your possession while off the ship.

Why do folks try so hard to avoid a passport? For $11 per year it's the gold standard for travel if you plan to go outside the US borders. It's good in every situation and eliminates any chance of problems.

My reason -- my dad is 87 and only cruised twice. I really do not see him going out of the country other then on a cruise.

Why buy something if it really is not needed

I love how so many people are experts at traveling requirements. The vast array of opinions in this thread should serve as sufficient proof that it is better to be safe than sorry. The last thing I would want is to show up for my vacation and be denied because I did not have proper documentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise critic should not be used as the only source for this information, it should be used to confirm what one has read from a cruise line's or government website.

Why do folks try so hard to avoid a passport? For $11 per year it's the gold standard for travel if you plan to go outside the US borders. It's good in every situation and eliminates any chance of problems.

I can't speak for everyone but I haven't obtained a passport yet because it hasn't been necessary for the types of travel that we've been able to do. There is a little risk involved and we've been okay with the small risk level. We are planning a trip to Germany next year and will of course be obtaining passports in order to make the trip and we anticipate more freedom in taking overseas trips going forward.

My reason -- my dad is 87 and only cruised twice. I really do not see him going out of the country other then on a cruise.

Why buy something if it really is not needed

At that age anything can happen. He could simply trip over his own feet and 'break a hip'.

Takes a few days to get a passport, even a one time use one. If it happens over the weekend you'll have to wait for Monday.

A passport gives peace of mind.

He does buy travel insurance?