Freedom of the seas going to DD?

RCI put out an official release stating that Freedom was not getting DD in her upcoming drydock. They have also been known to change their mind.

Drydock will be complete by beginning of. February. Check your final payment date as you may have time to wait and see for sure.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I was on the FOS 30Nov Sailing and at the Q&A with the Captain and crew he said NO DD for the FOS any time soon.:D

that is odd, as during one of the shows on the same dates he mentioned that it will be going into dry dock shortly where the entire problem will be fixed...I believe this was the Headliner show Day 2.

oops, never mind I thought you mean DD= dry dock, guess it means dynamic dining..can't delete my useless post

Edited by Redsfan

Eagerly waiting for RCI to get around to announcing what is actually getting done in the Freedom drydock since I have a family reunion group of 20 and still adding setup for late next year.

If DD does happen then I need to come up with plan B cus there is now way I am going to try and co-ordinate dinners for a group that large !

Although it has been said Freedom will not be going DD on this drydock. This statement makes me think many ships will get this and as fast as they can pull it off:

Q: Is Dynamic Dining rolling out to additional ships?

A: As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic

Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis

Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.

Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean and based on the positive response from our

guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our

Royal Advantage program — our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our

guests.

Just off the QOS and hated DD. We will be on the FOS in April I think I remember reading somewhere that FOS was going DD after dry dock. If this is true would like to find out before final payment so we can cancel.

Thank you for your help.

What didn't you like about DD please?

December 13, 2014

Dear Freedom of the Seas Guest:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding modifications to your scheduled itinerary.

Freedom of the Seas is currently experiencing a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, it is necessary to make some slight changes to your itinerary. Your revised itinerary will be:

DAY PORT ARRIVAL DEPARTURE

Sunday Port Canaveral 4:30 p.m.

Monday At sea

Tuesday At sea

Wednesday Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 7:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Thursday Philipsburg, St. Maarten 7:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m.

Friday At sea

Saturday At sea

Sunday Port Canaveral, Florida 6:00 a.m.

There should be no further impact to the itinerary, unless we encounter inclement weather during our voyage. Any adverse weather conditions, such as strong winds, could further reduce the ship's overall speed.

We apologize for this impact to your cruise vacation. As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank you for your understanding, Royal Caribbean International will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit. A letter with the credit amount will be delivered to your stateroom. This credit will be applied directly to your onboard account and may be used for any onboard purchase or service. Any unused portion will be refunded to you at the end of your cruise.

Guests who booked shore excursions in CocoCay, Bahamas, through Royal Caribbean will have those funds automatically refunded to them in the form of a credit to their onboard account. This credit may be used to book another shore excursion, or for any purchases onboard. Any unused portion will be refunded to you. Our Shore Excursion staff would be happy to assist you with activities and excursions in St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Again, we apologize for these developments and their impact on your scheduled itinerary. Our staff in Port Canaveral will do their very best to minimize any further inconvenience to you and our shipboard team looks forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Just off the QOS and hated DD. We will be on the FOS in April I think I remember reading somewhere that FOS was going DD after dry dock. If this is true would like to find out before final payment so we can cancel.

Thank you for your help.

What is it about Dynamic Dining that you don't like?

I am not the OP, but I'll share our thoughts on Dynamic Dining based on our QOS cruise.

We refuse to pay extra for dining, so that eliminated all the upcharge restaurants for us. So, we were left with 4 options. We also eliminated the Grande because it was formal all the time, and while we enjoy formal nights when it is the theme throughout the ship, we didn't want to be amongst a handful of people on any given night walking around the ship all dressed up.

Since the menus are fixed throughout the cruise, there aren't enough choices or variety on any particular menu to entice me to repeat any restaurant during a cruise. With only 3 restaurants to choose from, that's a problem on a weeklong cruise.

We found service to be rushed and impersonal. The courses were served without any downtime in between in order to digest the food, and the meals took 35-40 minutes. I didn't have my preferred beverage (iced tea) waiting for me, and I had to wait an unreasonable amount of time to get refills. There weren't any alternative options for when I didn't like anything on the menu (I don't eat beef, pork or chicken), and it was difficult to customize the menu items - to get something without sauce or with a different sauce or more cheese, etc. There were very few pasta choices, which are my go-to entrees.

We like the MDR, where there is a dedicated wait team who knows my preferences and provides efficient and personal service. At home, we tend to be regulars at the same restaurants, and are known to staff there, so it feels like "home" and we like this feeling that the MDR also evokes.

Dinner is a highlight and an event for us, and Dynamic Dining just made it feel like a cold, impersonal event with not enough choices for those who do not want to pay for specialty restaurants.

I will not sail on a ship that doesn't have a MDR for those of us who prefer that experience.

Edited by DonnaK

December 13, 2014

Dear Freedom of the Seas Guest:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding modifications to your scheduled itinerary.

Freedom of the Seas is currently experiencing a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, it is necessary to make some slight changes to your itinerary. Your revised itinerary will be:

DAY PORT ARRIVAL DEPARTURE

Sunday Port Canaveral 4:30 p.m.

Monday At sea

Tuesday At sea

Wednesday Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 7:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Thursday Philipsburg, St. Maarten 7:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m.

Friday At sea

Saturday At sea

Sunday Port Canaveral, Florida 6:00 a.m.

There should be no further impact to the itinerary, unless we encounter inclement weather during our voyage. Any adverse weather conditions, such as strong winds, could further reduce the ship's overall speed.

We apologize for this impact to your cruise vacation. As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank you for your understanding, Royal Caribbean International will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit. A letter with the credit amount will be delivered to your stateroom. This credit will be applied directly to your onboard account and may be used for any onboard purchase or service. Any unused portion will be refunded to you at the end of your cruise.

Guests who booked shore excursions in CocoCay, Bahamas, through Royal Caribbean will have those funds automatically refunded to them in the form of a credit to their onboard account. This credit may be used to book another shore excursion, or for any purchases onboard. Any unused portion will be refunded to you. Our Shore Excursion staff would be happy to assist you with activities and excursions in St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Again, we apologize for these developments and their impact on your scheduled itinerary. Our staff in Port Canaveral will do their very best to minimize any further inconvenience to you and our shipboard team looks forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Thank you so much for posting this! I am hopeful our sailing on the 28th will not have changes (different itinerary) but regardless - we will carry on with our family fun!! :cool::)

I certainly hope that issues with dynamic dining are being put in the surveys and/or letters written to the Corporate office letting those know that there are issues and they need to be addressed. I guess I'll find out myself on Oasis in October.

There were certainly many people expressing their opinions right to the captain and others, I believe it fell on closed minds - they were only taking it under advisement. Officers announced that it was going to be on the Quantum class ships, Oasis class ships, and the Freedom class ships. I won't do dynamic dining again where ever it ends up.

Many people are unaware that the ship sailed Dec 1, 2014 - with 1/3 empty cabins - plus some people disembarked early. What was so greatly disappointing was the limited selections to order - great for a 7 or less day cruise, not so great for a 11 or 12 night cruise! It is way too repetitive.

Need I mention there was a lot of everyday provisions that they ran out of - really odd since the ship wasn't full. And way more necessities were missing since the menus only listed several entrees - but at least 2 or more of them at each restaurant was OUT?

The first night, after 2 hours at Chic, I just got up and left, my husband nor I got any food yet. The others at the table sent back food several times as cold or burnt. :( One night our group of 6 was given a BEEPER to wait even though we had a reservation. About 40 minutes later, past our reservation time, it went off, un except able - plus it was a total shocker - It was sad that my group was eating in Silk toward the last sea nights and we were almost the only ones in the restaurant - I understand that many people gave up and just ending up eating in the windjammer.

And ps - that ipad totally lessons the personal touch because they are way to busy looking at it trying to get it to work than to make sure you're taken care of.

And one shout out for JAMIE's - DO IT - best ever food, fantastic waiters, noone used ipods!! Even officers were in there eating. It was SOLD out as we tried to get another reservation for any time.

Just off FOS this morning. I can confirm that according to the captain and hotel director, FOS will not get DD during dry dock. It was discussed, but determined they would not have the time to implement it. Here is a list of updates that were confirmed.

1. The Crypt will be replaced with Sabor ($) on deck 4 and staterooms on deck 3.

2. Nightclub/disco will move up to Viking crown lounge.

3. 42 new staterooms deck 12 forward where jogging track is now.

4. Izumi ($) will be added.

5. Coastal Kitchen will be added as specialty dining available to suite guests and pinnacle members only.

Just off FOS this morning. I can confirm that according to the captain and hotel director, FOS will not get DD during dry dock. It was discussed, but determined they would not have the time to implement it. Here is a list of updates that were confirmed.

1. The Crypt will be replaced with Sabor ($) on deck 4 and staterooms on deck 3.

2. Nightclub/disco will move up to Viking crown lounge.

3. 42 new staterooms deck 12 forward where jogging track is now.

4. Izumi ($) will be added.

5. Coastal Kitchen will be added as specialty dining available to suite guests and pinnacle members only.

I was hoping they'd add Coastal Kitchen to FOS. I wonder if this also means they'll be adding a Suite Lounge on FOS as well? Did they mention where CK will be located?

Any mention of Portofino being changed to Giovanni's?

Look forward to sailing on FOS in September to see all the changes. :D

Just talked to RCI this week about DD. Am going on Adventure in January. What I was told was the next class of ship to get DD will be Oasis. When that is done - no time frame was given to me - then the hope was to slowly roll out the other classes. So, you are safe on Freedom for April. Have Fun.