MITSUGIRLYS extensive extra Sky review

mitsugirly

What? The Star will be going out of Port Canaveral and going to GSC? When does this happen? Any other ships there? I will have to check out the new schedules. I really want to go to GSC.

Honestly I have never had any problems with the eggs that I can remember. This cruise was just a little "off" with the food. I have always noticed that on the last day there are a lot more people at the buffet than on the port/sea days and the always seem to have runny eggs on that last day. I'm wondering if they are just in too much of a hurry to get them out to everyone on that last day that they aren't taking the time to cook them. I can't stand ANY type of food that is uncooked. I can't to over easy, or rare or medium rare anything...COOK THAT STUFF ALL THE WAY. I want it good and dead!!! :)

But like you said...I will never go hungry on a cruise...and if I try to say I did, then my scales will tell you a different story when I return from each cruise. :D

Usually cruise ships use pre-scrambled eggs, but I'm wondering if what NCL is making is actually creamed scrambled eggs - which is a different method of scrambling eggs with milk and butter. Did the eggs look like this by any chance: (go to the link below and scroll down to Abbey scrambled eggs)

http://downtonabbeycooks.com/2013/10/08/downton-cooking-basics-how-to-make-creamy-scrambled-eggs/

If so, the eggs are actually thoroughly cooked, it's just that milk and butter is added to the eggs which makes it more of a slurry than the typical dryer scramble Americans are used to. This is a more common method of cooking eggs in the UK.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Really? It's not like that here at all. Many, many doctors have private offices where you would only work for them directly - one of my friends does this. She does 3 days on (12 hour/day)+ 4 hours, 3.5 days off. FABULOUS! It's almost like not working at all! But I'm sure there are many nursing jobs that work like that. So...if the doctor's office jobs go through the hospitals, figure out what doctors you might want to work with and join their churches or whatever you need to do to network with them. Over time get to know them and mention that you are an RN and would someday love to work in a doctors office. I have gotten many jobs this way - just by getting to know people and letting them know what I do and then being there when they needed someone with my expertise. Most people like to hire people they have something in common with and whom they already know, like and trust. It takes some patience to build these relationships, but if you start now, you will find that it pays off throughout your career.

Here's another thought: the way my aunt (also an RN) got around this vacation issue was she was a school nurse. This way, she had all school breaks off and also all summer, too. (My uncle was a school teacher and later a principal so this worked out great for them.) Anyway just food for thought. It might not be useful information right now, but someday, maybe it will help you or someone you know.

I think the reason for this is because of the whole HMO or PPO thing these days. They all seem to be affiliated with an organization that belongs to the hospitals.

I have applied several times to my cardiologist office, but never a response. It's one of the only doctors offices that I have seen come up on there after 4 months of looking...and still available. :(

I hadn't thought about a school nurse. Maybe I'll check into that (although I've always been a night owl and am NOT a morning person...which this would require me to be a morning person)....ugh. But it's worth a shot.

At the moment, I'm doing the home health nurse thing...loving the job, not the company. I love making my own schedule, picking my own patients and the money is fabulous. The easy ones are a good 15 minutes and charged for 1 hour...then on to the next. It's perfect for me. BUT...like I said, it's just the company, which is "newer" and I really don't like the way they are running it. Since I have never been in the "home health" field, I'm not sure if what I'm doing is normal for most companies or I just got lucky and got some really good clients. Maybe I should check into other home health agencies. :)

Usually cruise ships use pre-scrambled eggs, but I'm wondering if what NCL is making is actually creamed scrambled eggs - which is a different method of scrambling eggs with milk and butter. Did the eggs look like this by any chance: (go to the link below and scroll down to Abbey scrambled eggs)

http://downtonabbeycooks.com/2013/10/08/downton-cooking-basics-how-to-make-creamy-scrambled-eggs/

If so, the eggs are actually thoroughly cooked, it's just that milk and butter is added to the eggs which makes it more of a slurry than the typical dryer scramble Americans are used to. This is a more common method of cooking eggs in the UK.

Nope, it doesn't look like that to me. I think it's more like the egg beaters stuff to me. I don't mind the taste...as long as they're cooked! :)

All the school districts are hiring only LVNs in our area, with a district RN to oversee them. Those jobs come open MAYBE every ten years or so!!! Usually someone has to retire. Dr. offices hire mostly LVNs also around here. They just need someone to get vitals, weigh patients, and do various tests. They don't pay well either.

Just two hours down the road in Houston, RNs make LOADS more $$$. But I am not willing to relocate.

Have you thought about dialysis? Or a cardiac rehab department?

Jeph had advised my Mom to only ask for "fresh" egg anythings to ensure they were gluten free.

Kathy

Kathy! I absolutely adored Jeph on the Gem. The way NCL handled food allergies on the Gem was amazing. I don't know what to expect this go-round, but I can't imagine it being as awesome as Jeph! He is almost single-handedly the reason we are trying NCL and the Sun again this weekend. I am happy to hear he is still there, though a recent Facebook post makes it sound like he is leaving/has left for good soon. Do you know anything about this?

Sorry for the hijack, Kim!

Edited by noche_caliente

Whew... made it through the second new review. One of the nice things about a single 14 day cruise vs. two cruises for you would be only having to do a single review! :D

Great job as always! Thank you for doing this.

I know a few people that have taken a Sky cruise. They were so unhappy after their first cruise experience that they never cruised again. They also apply their poor experience to all of my vacation experiences. Can't really have a conversation with these people around cruising, they think I'm nuts for taking a cruise.

After reading this great review, I don't think that I'll book anything on the Sky.

I think the reason for this is because of the whole HMO or PPO thing these days. They all seem to be affiliated with an organization that belongs to the hospitals.

I have applied several times to my cardiologist office, but never a response. It's one of the only doctors offices that I have seen come up on there after 4 months of looking...and still available. :(

I hadn't thought about a school nurse. Maybe I'll check into that (although I've always been a night owl and am NOT a morning person...which this would require me to be a morning person)....ugh. But it's worth a shot.

For me, and I'm a night person, too, when I work, I take the earlier shift if I can because by the afternoon I don't feel like I have been at work at all. It's almost like I have amnesia about the time I was at work.

At the moment, I'm doing the home health nurse thing...loving the job, not the company. I love making my own schedule, picking my own patients and the money is fabulous. The easy ones are a good 15 minutes and charged for 1 hour...then on to the next. It's perfect for me. BUT...like I said, it's just the company, which is "newer" and I really don't like the way they are running it. Since I have never been in the "home health" field, I'm not sure if what I'm doing is normal for most companies or I just got lucky and got some really good clients. Maybe I should check into other home health agencies. :)

These home healthcare companies vary widely. The patients are almost always the least of your worries. It is the management that is always the issue. I've been dealing with these for my elderly parents and each one I have talked to is so different and the various aides I have met have told me stuff about the management of the various companies they have worked for.

Nope, it doesn't look like that to me. I think it's more like the egg beaters stuff to me. I don't mind the taste...as long as they're cooked! :)

This egg thing is so puzzling to me because I have seen the 30lb bags of pre-cooked scrambled eggs served on the steam tables in the buffets on several cruise ships. Like this:

http://www.sunnyfresh.com/cb/sf/Products/PreparedFoods/BreakfastBuilders/NA3031607.jsp

This would be an interesting question to ask the chef on the next NCL cruise I take.

I looked around online and there is a review where they claim NCL uses powdered eggs. And this thread also says they use powdered eggs:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1780861

If this is true, this is the cheapest way to buy eggs and also has the longest shelf life. One 2.5 pound can is the equivalent of 81 to 90 large whole eggs. Still, I'm not sure how the kitchen is managing to mess them up. All you do is add water and milk and put them in an industrial mixer for several minutes until they look bubbly, then fry them up. Really, this is a very difficult product to screw up. LOL! I just can't imagine choosing to have galley staff use powdered eggs over just buying pre-cooked scrambled eggs. Maybe NCL just doesn't have enough refrigeration space or they figured they would save money this way. But I think about the manpower involved to prepare powdered eggs and the cleanup involved compared to immersing the pre cooked scrambled egg bag in hot water, kneading it and then dumping pre-scrambled eggs out in a steam table bin, it seems to me the cost would be a wash for the manpower alone.

One other note on powdered eggs - they are pasteurized, so you can't get salmonella from them. Because of this, they are the safest choice when making things that require raw eggs such as eggnog, hollandaise sauce or Caesar salad dressing.

Apparently the only time powdered eggs can be dangerous is after they are reconstituted and cooked if they are not kept at the right temperature they can go off and you can get food poisoning but that is the case with everything on any buffet.

Kim, I think, if you see this again on any ship, take a quick photo of it (and also of the undercooked bacon) and show it to manager/Maitre'd of the buffet. I would just politely ask, "Is this how this is supposed to be cooked? Why is it so watery?" If it happens again, ask for an appointment with Food and Beverage Manager/Director and show him the photos. I'm sure you will see improvement.

Read here if you are curious about this powdered egg product's safety: http://shop.honeyville.com/in-the-know/the-benefits-of-powdered-egg-products.html

All the school districts are hiring only LVNs in our area' date=' with a district RN to oversee them. Those jobs come open MAYBE every ten years or so!!! Usually someone has to retire. Dr. offices hire mostly LVNs also around here. They just need someone to get vitals, weigh patients, and do various tests. They don't pay well either.

Just two hours down the road in Houston, RNs make LOADS more $$$. But I am not willing to relocate.

Have you thought about dialysis? Or a cardiac rehab department? [/size']

I have a tendency to agree with the school jobs opening up very seldom. Also, I have noticed that most of the doctors offices hire medical assistants in our area with a Nurse overseeing all of them.

I haven't thought about dialysis or a rehab. I'm not sure, but think most of them I have seen are also ran under the different hospitals in town.

On a better note, I applied for one of the hospitals that's a little further away from me (I had already applied to 2 of the other hospitals that are ran under this place) over the weekend (I had heard they are hiring new nurses often and I know several of the student nurses I graduated with got hired instantly with them) and they called me today while I was out of town requesting an interview. I guess I'll be calling them back tomorrow to see how that goes. :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I enjoyed both threads of this review. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and glad you enjoyed them. :)

Kathy! I absolutely adored Jeph on the Gem. The way NCL handled food allergies on the Gem was amazing. I don't know what to expect this go-round, but I can't imagine it being as awesome as Jeph! He is almost single-handedly the reason we are trying NCL and the Sun again this weekend. I am happy to hear he is still there, though a recent Facebook post makes it sound like he is leaving/has left for good soon. Do you know anything about this?

Sorry for the hijack, Kim!

All hijacking aloud...no worries. I don't mind. But...I have to ask, who is Jeph and what do they do? :D

Whew... made it through the second new review. One of the nice things about a single 14 day cruise vs. two cruises for you would be only having to do a single review! :D

Great job as always! Thank you for doing this.

I know a few people that have taken a Sky cruise. They were so unhappy after their first cruise experience that they never cruised again. They also apply their poor experience to all of my vacation experiences. Can't really have a conversation with these people around cruising, they think I'm nuts for taking a cruise.

After reading this great review, I don't think that I'll book anything on the Sky.

Aww, I hate that. Someone has a bad time and they are turned off for good. In my book, there's no such thing as a bad cruise no matter what...well, unless your on the Concorida or something. :(

I remember when Carnival was having all those issues over and over and everyone at my work kept talking about how crazy I was for cruising and we were going to get stuck and so on. (Especially around the time that one of the back up engines was lost on ...I can't remember, maybe it was the Dream?? Or could have been NCL??). People were talking about how bad it was. Pshhh, those people got "stuck" in St Maarten, got to come and go as they pleased in port (I would love), put up in a hotel (free vacation) and was flown home (ship paid) AND got reimbursed their entire cruise PLUS got 1/2 off their next cruise. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Put me in that situation any day!....and that's what I told them. :p

But really, I think the main reason we didn't enjoy this cruise wasn't because of the ship itself...it was the weather, missing the port that I so wanted to go to (GSC) and it being icky outside during our Melia Nassau visit. If it had been perfect weather, I'm sure it would have felt totally different. :) We loved the ship.

This would be an interesting question to ask the chef on the next NCL cruise I take.

I never thought about it...but it's a good question to bring up at any of the cc meet & greets since they always have the head food person/chef there. :D

I never thought about it...but it's a good question to bring up at any of the cc meet & greets since they always have the head food person/chef there. :D

Exactly, ask them and show them photos and ask if that is alright. I bet it would not be (unless they are so new and clueless they know nothing about mass food prep). I truly believe anyone heading up food service wants the best possible and they are concerned about quality and would be disappointed in what you described. I know I would be and I would take immediate action to correct the situation. It does make sense to get their card, and follow up. I can only think that the situation you described happened because either the manager was unaware or didn't know better.

All hijacking aloud...no worries. I don't mind. But...I have to ask, who is Jeph and what do they do? :D

Jeph is the server on the Gem who is assigned to guests with special dietary needs such as food allergies, Kosher, etc. My daughter and I have some pretty severe allergies, so he was with us. He followed us wherever we ate on the ship, helped us select foods that would be save, etc. Prior to meeting Jeph, I never understood those people who would post about particular crew members or tell so and so hi. After the level of attention, and what appeared to be genuine concern and care from Jeph, I totally get it.

Our Gem cruise was totally lackluster. We hit Port Canaveral as a port day... boring... hit Nassau on a day like yours and went to what was then the Sheraton, which the grounds were beautiful, but the weather made it unenjoyable (the area behind the fence was a bar and wedding area when we were there). We did get to stop at GSC however, and had a great day at a Cabana, and that was the only good port in my opinion... in fact it is my #1 port with Roatan being #2 based on that experience.

Anyway, here's a really terrible picture of my family with Jeph :)

15535370104_56856eb5f8_z.jpg

I would be happy to pick up some ornaments for you, but don't think my future planned sailings are on ships you've been on - let me know if you need a Gem or Breakaway ornament!

Thanks so much for the offer. I really appreciate it. Yea, I have not been on the Gem or Breakaway yet, so when I do, I'll be able to pick those ones up.

I actually need the Pearl and Spirit still. I have 2 others (fingers crossed) that have the Star for me and the Jewel that someones getting for me next month. :)

ANYONE GOING ON THE PEARL OR SPIRIT SOON? :D :p :)

Jeph is the server on the Gem who is assigned to guests with special dietary needs such as food allergies, Kosher, etc. My daughter and I have some pretty severe allergies, so he was with us. He followed us wherever we ate on the ship, helped us select foods that would be save, etc. Prior to meeting Jeph, I never understood those people who would post about particular crew members or tell so and so hi. After the level of attention, and what appeared to be genuine concern and care from Jeph, I totally get it.

Our Gem cruise was totally lackluster. We hit Port Canaveral as a port day... boring... hit Nassau on a day like yours and went to what was then the Sheraton, which the grounds were beautiful, but the weather made it unenjoyable (the area behind the fence was a bar and wedding area when we were there). We did get to stop at GSC however, and had a great day at a Cabana, and that was the only good port in my opinion... in fact it is my #1 port with Roatan being #2 based on that experience.

Anyway, here's a really terrible picture of my family with Jeph :)

Oh ok I get it. I have always wondered why/how others get so close with certain crew members as well. I guess if you have someone that provides you a special service, I can see where that would happen. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Kim, I enjoy reading your reviews. I always check out your ports to get ideas for my next cruise.

Thanks so much for the comment. I'm glad you enjoy them Susan (& David) :D. I see you are going on the Dream at the end of the year. We loved the Dream and are thinking about booking the Magic for April. :)

Hi Kim. I just reread your Melia review. We are thinking about going there on Monday when we are in Nassau. Was anybody serving drinks or food there at all? My crew will not be happy if they can't eat lunch and have a beer or two. What was the temperature when you were there? I think it is supposed to be around 80 on Monday. Thanks!

Hi Kim. I just reread your Melia review. We are thinking about going there on Monday when we are in Nassau. Was anybody serving drinks or food there at all? My crew will not be happy if they can't eat lunch and have a beer or two. What was the temperature when you were there? I think it is supposed to be around 80 on Monday. Thanks!

Hi there. No, there wasn't anyone serving drinks or food there. The only food that we seen there was inside at the restaurant where they serve the people that are staying with them. There wasn't a bar or food shack outside when we were there. The only thing open was a few people standing at the sports shack...which I'm not even sure why they were there because we were told that the "ocean was closed" because it was too windy and wavy. :confused:

I'm guessing maybe the temps were around 73? It might have been warmer, but it was rainy off and on. I would have to go back and see what the dailies said it was supposed to be to be sure.

Great review, thanks for posting it! My wife and I were on the Sky the week before you, we lucked out and had good weather, although it was a bit on the cool side. It was our third time on the Sky, first in an aft Balcony, which was simply wonderful.

If you get the invite to the Capt's Party again, do go. It is for Gold+ Latitudes members and at least on our cruise, it was an intimate little get together with free drinks and hor dourves.

Have fun on your next cruise!

Great review, thanks for posting it! My wife and I were on the Sky the week before you, we lucked out and had good weather, although it was a bit on the cool side. It was our third time on the Sky, first in an aft Balcony, which was simply wonderful.

If you get the invite to the Capt's Party again, do go. It is for Gold+ Latitudes members and at least on our cruise, it was an intimate little get together with free drinks and hor dourves.

Have fun on your next cruise!

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. Yep, the weather did not want to cooperate with us. It will be the first time we actually had bad weather while cruising. :( It sure makes it a Debbie Downer. I don't think I'll ever try the Bahamas again during the winter months. I think I learned my lesson this time around. Only Caribbean for me during the winter. :D

I enjoyed your review. I loved your photos and now I know what to expect. I'm taking this cruise 2/16 only because it is free. I want to be in Miami anyway because my granddaughter is due at that time and my daughter and her husband live in Miami. I am wondering about the water temperature in Feb? Does anyone have experience with this? I like it warm! I love GSC and really want to go again. Thank you again, keep cruising!

I enjoyed your review. I loved your photos and now I know what to expect. I'm taking this cruise 2/16 only because it is free. I want to be in Miami anyway because my granddaughter is due at that time and my daughter and her husband live in Miami. I am wondering about the water temperature in Feb? Does anyone have experience with this? I like it warm! I love GSC and really want to go again. Thank you again, keep cruising!

Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the review. Have a great cruise on the Sky. :)

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing that we did after deciding to book another cruise was to check cruise critic and see if mitsugirlys had a review of the same ship/ports. We where so glad to see your Sky Bahama review. We love reading and seeing your adventures!

A couple of questions:

Have you ever done a dolphin encounter? I don't swim but my boys really want to touch a dolphin. Any advice?

How do you find out about excursions not sponsored by NCL?