MITSUGIRLYS extensive extra Sky review

mitsugirly

It must be funny if he has to introduce them.

"These are my *cough* grandchildren"

Ehh, not really. He's been in the family for a little over 12 years now and played step-daddy the entire time. He's a better father than their own ever was or still is. He claims them as his step children and when he introduces them, he says his step-children or step-grandchildren. It just comes natural to him and he will boast over how much he loves his milf and the family he has. But then again, we have a pretty huge circle of friends and everyone has known us for many years, so there's nothing shocking at this point. :D BTW, it's just life for him...his mother is the same way and his step dad he grew up with is many years younger than her. ;) Like I said, nothing unusual to him. :p

What is up with that sofa bed in your room?! We have an interior for 4 in April. I seriously thought it would have two uppers like every other ship. I'm going to seriously rethink this. My 11 year old and 8 yr old cannot sleep on that together. Loving your review!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

That girlish figure..? It don't last forever! :cool:

LOL

What is up with that sofa bed in your room?! We have an interior for 4 in April. I seriously thought it would have two uppers like every other ship. I'm going to seriously rethink this. My 11 year old and 8 yr old cannot sleep on that together. Loving your review!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Yea, I really didn't care for it. Had it been maybe beside the bed facing the same direction when you pull it out, that would have been fine. But it would just take up all the space in the room when pulled out. I much rather have the pull down or out beds beside the regular bed.

So our final and last day of vacation has come to an end. It really didn't bother us when our Sun cruise came to an end knowing that we were going on the Sky right after that. I didn't get that "sad" feeling that I always get when it's time to leave a ship.

Now like I said before, being gone for 2 weeks straight and 2 cruises felt like a little too much to me. 7 days isn't enough, but 2 weeks (being actually gone a full 14 days even though it was a 7 day cruise combined with a 5 day cruise and days in between each) just felt like too much. I honestly couldn't wait to get home. As a matter of fact, Sakari jumped up and down when she knew for a fact that we were going home today. She said she was so excited to go home. So maybe next time we do an extended cruise, we'll try a 9 day southern cruise or something.

So I woke up sore with a stiff neck this morning. I swear these beds had to be the hardest bed I had ever slept on in my life and especially on any NCL ship.

Last night our soda was taken out of the fridge and the booze put back in and it locked up. Well, I still had several left over...so who ever got our room the next time, you are welcome for all the free soda.

Yes, it's the last day on the ship and guess what...we now have 3 towels again including the beach towels. Thanks...but you are a little too late.

I had my wake up call set for 7:30am and I was up at 7:25am. Hmmm, only 5 minutes earlier. I'm making improvements.

I headed for the shower and then upstairs to check out the situation. It was raining but thank goodness it was warm out. Someone tell me why it seems like every cruise I have done in the winter time, I come back to port in Miami or NOLA with rain that morning??

PB210382%20copy-L.jpg

Back down to wake the family up and head to breakfast.

There was the normal runny eggs, but worse and uncooked bacon that squealed at me as I walked by. Thank goodness that I went over to the other side and found that it was a little more cooked on that side and worth the wait. The lines were EXTREMELY long and there was no place to sit to eat, even outside. We stood around with our plates in our hands until someone left a table and dove for the table before anyone else could get there. The problem was it was 2 tables put together, so could possibly fit up to 8-10 people, but there were only 2 chairs. Sakari was forced to stand and eat. It was only fair since she was the shortest and could reach the table the easiest standing.

PB210392%20copy-L.jpg

PB210394%20copy-L.jpg

When we were done eating, the kids took our seats so that they would have a place to eat and we ate in shifts.

We went outside to wait for them to finish eating and watched a Carnival ship pulling in.

PB210383%20copy-L.jpg

PB210385%20copy-L.jpg

Then we all headed back to the room to grab our belongings and down to the 6th floor to play the waiting game of them calling our tag color (9 am). They always seem to run early and at 8:50am, they were telling us to go.

I text MJS transportation to let them know we were getting off the ship at 9:06am.

He ask if we were past customs and I replied yes at 9:17am

At 9:19 he text me back saying he was delayed for 15 min, but was on his way.

At 9:38am he text again saying there was an accident on the freeway and traffic was slow, but he was headed our way now.

9:45am he text asking what time our flight was in FLL

9:46 he states he's in the express lane.

9:47 he states will be there at 10am and we will be to the airport by 10:20 at the latest. There's absolutely NO traffic on the way back.

(Meanwhile...note that I said it was raining. We were soaking wet, our luggage was soaking wet, there were puddles everywhere...which meant you were standing in them and your luggage was resting in them).

10am-he states he is 4 exits away. There's absolutely no traffic the other way I assure you.

10:02 he tells me to move to number 9 or 11 warehouse. Me...at this point I'm irritated at the time and tell him "NO, WE ARE AT 1, WE HAVE 9 PEOPLE IN OUR PARTY AND EACH HAVE 1-2 LUGGAGE. I'M NOT MOVING AND YOU CAN PICK US UP RIGHT HERE"

10:10am he text "I'm going into the tunnel"

10:15...he's no where in site. I'm pissed, I'm mentally drained, I'm now worried that we are going to miss our flight. I'm soaked and so are the kids and the rest of the family. I have watched everyone else get in their transportation rides and head out of here on time. I've had multiple vendors ask if we needed a ride and wheeled and dealed on pricing. I've had time to sit around and think about this...they know what time the ships come into port. They know what time they start letting us off. They knew what time our flight was out (you list it on the form when you request transportation) and ALL the other vendors are there waiting outside to pick up their customers and for some reason ours is not.

One guy had told us that he would do $15 pp (we were paying $11) and we told him no. He came back and said "ok $12 pp". Once again we said no. Another guy told us $100 for everyone. We turned him down.

It was now 10:18, 2 minutes away from the time our transportation promised we would be AT the airport and he's still not here. I'm considering the other offers at this time.

He finally comes back and says "Ok, we have a driver that is going there anyhow...we'll do all of you for $60. Me "Ok, let's go, we are probably missing our flight anyhow at this point."

He told us to come with him and we gathered our things and started walking across the street toward the garage area. The driver pulled up, put our luggage in and we were off. We were on the freeway before I got another text and phone call from the other driver letting me know he was there. Seriously??? I was so livid at this point I wouldn't even answer him.

Now this situation gets even worse as we go along.

It doesn't take long before we are pulling up to the airport. Then I start noticing it says "Miami airport". Oh just fricken great! I was really hoping he didn't think we were going to Miami airport for our flights and that's why they were only charging us $60 for all 9 of us.

Thanks goodness that wasn't the deal. He dropped off 2 passengers and we were on our way to FLL. Now I have to say this driver was SLOW in driving. He wasn't your normal taxi driver and stayed WAY behind anyone in front of him and was always pressing the breaks. Geesh. We were never going to make it. BTW, the MJS driver lied...there was bumper to bumper traffic all the way down the freeway.

We finally got there, paid him and seriously RAN inside with our luggage and got into the boarding pass line. We checked in real quick, printed the passes, early bird check in got us A56, 57 & 58 seats. We were hurrying to get through security and managed to get waved over to the quick line. We didn't have to take our shoes off, didn't have to have an ID for Sakari, computers didn't have to come out of our bags and it was fast! The kids were stuck in the long line and had to go through the entire process.

We ran to our boarding gate and they were already lining up to get on. I messaged the kids to let them know where we were at. Kolin & Courtney were in the long line. Kendra and family...well they were having their bags checked. Just great! Kolin & Courtney found us first but there was no site of Kendra and family.

We were called to get on the plane. While we were going down the tunnel, I hear someone yell "mom"...it was Kendra a few people behind me. She managed to actually get on before Kolin & Courtney because they let her go with the "family" boarding. LOL

We managed to get decent seats fairly close together and all was good in the neighborhood. It looks like we weren't missing our flight after all.

Since everything was good, we were all back to being calm and our goofy self.

At home I probably get a good 5-10 videos a day from Kendra doing funny things, singing and so on. I get goofy pictures and I send goofy ones back. Being on the plane would be no different.

Since we weren't actually sitting together, we just had to communicate in "our own way" as we always do.

I first receive a text from Kendra "licking her bf's face...without him knowing it of course"

IMG_1366%20copy-M.jpg

I send one back of me putting my finger in Kolins ear hole. He had been complaining that he had lost his ear gauge when we were at Melia. I told her I was holding the hole open for him on this flight. Of course he had no idea what we were doing and I just looked like an idiot with my finger in the air to normal people.

saving%20%286%29-M.jpg

Daddy is oblivious as to what is transpiring and playing "flying fish" with Sakari and her wooden fish.

IMG_0126%20copy-M.jpg

The game continues...funny faces

saving%20%282%29-M.jpg

I tell daddy and Sakari to give Kendra a pose...you can tell it's mostly a girl thing...daddy had no clue, but Sakari sure did.

saving%20%283%29-M.jpg

Kendra tells me the guys ears smell behind her.

saving%20%284%29-M.jpg

I reply with biting off Kolins head...

saving-M.jpg

I turn around and look at Kolin and he has no idea what's going on and smiles while I was laughing my head off.

saving%20%285%29-M.jpg

We did have a change of flights that day, but it wasn't a long delay. Maybe 45 minutes and we were on our way again.

It was time to land at home around 5:45pm and it was an eventful trip.

PB210007%20copy-L.jpg

So...I actually made it to the end of this review in record time. What do you guys think?

Last but not least, my final thoughts on the Sky and a little comparison between the Sky and the Sun. :)

LOVED your review and all the pictures of both ships. Thank you again for taking the time to do this . Our cruise in January on the sky will be that much better for your tips and review of things.

I think it's horrible the way that shore excursion treated your family. They are there for the tourists and acting like that sure won't get them any more business. To keep calling your family out on the bus like it was your fault and not his to be where he was supposed to be.

Sakari is a doll and a lucky little girl to have been so many places at such a young age. She is a wonderful artist and I hope she keeps with it. I too loved to draw and won all kinds of awards growing up in art yet i too let it go.

For the reason you mentioned about the airport transportation is why we have used NCL's transportation the last 2 times. It's not worth it to me to worry about if the transportation will show up and will we make it on time to the airport. We live in Ohio also and are leaving out of Pittsburgh and flying into FLL airport. I know NCL charges more but they are dependable and i don't want the hassle of worrying.

Kim,

I almost hate to mention this, but you had good reason to be creeped out about those reef balls. I can't remember how I came across this information. It was some years back, but I recognized them for what they are:

http://eternalreefs.com

YUCK! (cringe!)

PS: Thank you for warning all of us about that excursion. Between the reef balls and the bus driver there is no way I'd ever go on that excursion.

I have read your last three reviews and really enjoyed them. I like how you tell the story of your experience. It lets us see your cruise through the eyes of you and your family. It adds a lot of dimension to your review. I appreciate the amount of time it must take to complete it. My daughter is 39 and got her RN degree two years ago so I know how much work that is. She works in the E.R. Good luck in your career and keep cruising so we can all keep following and learning from your experiences!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loved you review! But I am so sorry that your shore excursions didn't work out on this cruise. That is really unfortunate. I know you will have a better time on your next cruise. It's just a good thing that this was not your first cruise! Can you imagine? You probably would not want to cruise again!

I've been on the Jade, which is similar to the Gem and it's a beautiful ship. I hope to go on the other Gem class ships eventually. They don't have the super tall atriums that some ships have, but the Jade's atrium is gorgeous with flowers on the ceiling similar to the Chihuly flowers in the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Some people don't get it, but I think the ceiling is stunning.

So, just wanted to mention...the thing about Freestyle is that you DON'T have to dress up - even in the MDR - so feel free to eat in the MDR whatever you are wearing. To me, it is such a relief to just be able to be comfortable AND have a nice dinner.

PS: Your daughter's shadow box is adorable! I hope she will love it!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

LOVED your review and all the pictures of both ships. Thank you again for taking the time to do this . Our cruise in January on the sky will be that much better for your tips and review of things.

I think it's horrible the way that shore excursion treated your family. They are there for the tourists and acting like that sure won't get them any more business. To keep calling your family out on the bus like it was your fault and not his to be where he was supposed to be.

Sakari is a doll and a lucky little girl to have been so many places at such a young age. She is a wonderful artist and I hope she keeps with it. I too loved to draw and won all kinds of awards growing up in art yet i too let it go.

For the reason you mentioned about the airport transportation is why we have used NCL's transportation the last 2 times. It's not worth it to me to worry about if the transportation will show up and will we make it on time to the airport. We live in Ohio also and are leaving out of Pittsburgh and flying into FLL airport. I know NCL charges more but they are dependable and i don't want the hassle of worrying.

Thanks so much for all of your comments. I really appreciate it.

I do wish that they would learn that treating people the way they do both on the bus and the loud speaker is not only rude, but drives people away. But, obviously they have been doing it for years since another poster said it was like that when they went too. That's too bad. I do have to say that even if none of that would have happened, I still would not return to this place. The entrance to the water on the beach being nothing but rocks and slippery and the snorkeling itself was just not my idea of a great place. :(

Sakari is very lucky to be able to go on all of these trips. I hope she realizes it when she gets older. She thinks it's just "normal" and always ask when the "next one is". LOL

We have never really run into problems with our transportation in the past. We have used MJS before and it went over well. We have also used SAS before and it went well. I guess you win some you lose some. I have never checked into NCL's program.

You told someone you couldn't see a resemblance between you and your grandson. I see it! Look at post #209, the one with his tongue out. His eyes look like yours. ;)

Because when he's making a face his eyes are squinty like mine? hehe I still don't see it, but that's ok. He's my lovebug. :D

Kim,

I almost hate to mention this, but you had good reason to be creeped out about those reef balls. I can't remember how I came across this information. It was some years back, but I recognized them for what they are:

http://eternalreefs.com

YUCK! (cringe!)

PS: Thank you for warning all of us about that excursion. Between the reef balls and the bus driver there is no way I'd ever go on that excursion.

Ohhh Emmm Geee! Yikes. I had no idea about that. But...I'm not really sure that's exactly what this program was. I think it just might be the adopting of a reef ball for the sea life and system? I would have to read up on it.

Actually...I just did from their page:

What's A Reef Ball?

Early 2014 we will deploy 260 Reef Balls in front of Paradise Cove Beach Resort! Reef Balls are the world's leading designed artificial reef modules. Currently there are over 632,000 of these units deployed in over 70 different countries, including the Bahamas. They are simply the safest and most effective way to create sustainable marine reef habitat. The PH balanced concrete structures are made with an easy to use, portable fiberglass mold system (picture below).

making%20a%20ball.jpg The concrete used to make Reef Balls contains micro silica, creating a super high strength, abrasion resistant, concrete. They are also treated to create a rough surface texture in order to promote settling by marine organisms such as corals, algae, coralline algae and sponges. Studies have shown that these Reef Balls create life when correctly placed in the water and each one of them can add up to 500 lbs. of biomass per year. That’s more fish, lobsters, coral and algae nourishing our marine environment. Spill over effect means more fish available from West End to Eight Mile Rock.

Adopt-a-Reef Ball with a tax-deductible donation

You can own a “Piece-of-the-Reef” through adoption.

reef_02.jpg

• Each adopted ball produces up to 500 lbs. of biomass yearly, that’s fish, lobsters, coral and algae! Spill over effect means more fish available to the local Bahamian public.

• Each adopted ball supports a “Coral Propagation Program”, which rescues local endangered or imperiled corals and transplants them onto designated units.

• Each adopted ball supports local schools where students will be able to learn about the importance of the marine environment in a hands-on experience.

• Each adopted ball supports the College of the Bahamas, biology division, for coral propagation training including monitoring growth and fish density studies.

A Reef Ball can be adopted for only $200.

So I guess that's their purpose of them. I just didn't like them at all. :o

I have read your last three reviews and really enjoyed them. I like how you tell the story of your experience. It lets us see your cruise through the eyes of you and your family. It adds a lot of dimension to your review. I appreciate the amount of time it must take to complete it. My daughter is 39 and got her RN degree two years ago so I know how much work that is. She works in the E.R. Good luck in your career and keep cruising so we can all keep following and learning from your experiences!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much. I'm glad you have enjoyed the last 3 reviews. It takes forever, but after doing this Sky review, I think from now on I will make sure I have EVERYTHING ready to go when I first start my review. It goes so much quicker and everyone is not sitting around waiting.

I will definitely keep cruising...I'm addicted. Next cruise in 5 months. :D

So now to the story regarding the penny machine. On the first day, Courtney slid her room card in it to get the smashed penny. It didn't work. We did some adjusting to the penny we wanted with the handle and tried again. Still nothing came out.

The following day we ended up going to customer service about something and then we mentioned the penny machine. They looked up the charges and verified that it had come off her card and called the maintenance guy. He came over and took us upstairs to the machine at Dazzles. He verified that it didn't work, grabbed some tools and tried to open it. It didn't work. He was able to see that it was out of pennies and that was the problem. He then grabbed a chair and proceeded to climb up to the top of it and reach down to grab pennies. He gave us different kinds and let us chose several of them. How nice. He gave us all 2 each. I thought that was nice and not called for, but that's just NCL service for you.

I put it with my Sun penny from the previous week and they will go in my scrapbook for the cruise.

I'm loving your review! On each one of our NCL sailings, I struggle with the Penny Press Machine. I always get one by the end, but it always takes multiple crew members to make it happen. I know it's an odd complaint, but for me, it's what I remember. I take a deep breath now when I try for the first time.

Edited by AKR2011

Loved you review! But I am so sorry that your shore excursions didn't work out on this cruise. That is really unfortunate. I know you will have a better time on your next cruise. It's just a good thing that this was not your first cruise! Can you imagine? You probably would not want to cruise again!

I've been on the Jade, which is similar to the Gem and it's a beautiful ship. I hope to go on the other Gem class ships eventually. They don't have the super tall atriums that some ships have, but the Jade's atrium is gorgeous with flowers on the ceiling similar to the Chihuly flowers in the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Some people don't get it, but I think the ceiling is stunning.

So, just wanted to mention...the thing about Freestyle is that you DON'T have to dress up - even in the MDR - so feel free to eat in the MDR whatever you are wearing. To me, it is such a relief to just be able to be comfortable AND have a nice dinner.

PS: Your daughter's shadow box is adorable! I hope she will love it!

Oh, I didn't think about it...so the Gem (and Jade) are part of the same line up of ships with the Pearl and the Jewel correct? I have been on the Pearl and Jewel, so that gives me some type of idea what they would be like then.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the 2 story atrium and the glass at the top of it. I love Chihuly! We have a bunch of it here at our Conservatory and I love to go there and just take pictures. I did a photography class one year and used that as some of my submissions. The colors make for a GREAT picture.

This was one of the collages I did that had a bunch of Chihuly in it.

collage-final-web-M.jpg

Did you know that (or at least I was told by one of the workers at the conservatory) that when Chihuly creates a bunch of things together (as seen in the picture on the left and 3rd one down), that he mixes a bunch of things together and hides something in it that you are to find? We have a tunnel that you walk in and the top of the tunnel is glass and then a bunch of the Chihuly laying everywhere on top of it. It's huge. He hid an angel in it. It's hard to find and it took me awhile, but it's pretty neat. :D

I'm loving your review! On each one of our NCL sailings, I struggle with the Penny Press Machine. I always get one by the end, but it always takes multiple crew members to make it happen. I know it's an odd complaint, but for me, it's what I remember. I take a deep breath now when I try for the first time.

I have never had an issue with them before and every time that we have ran across one of these machines on there, we get one. Maybe that's the problem, it was my sons gf that was doing it and not me. :D :p

Ohhh Emmm Geee! Yikes. I had no idea about that. But...I'm not really sure that's exactly what this program was. I think it just might be the adopting of a reef ball for the sea life and system? I would have to read up on it.

Actually...I just did from their page:

What's A Reef Ball?

Early 2014 we will deploy 260 Reef Balls in front of Paradise Cove Beach Resort! Reef Balls are the world's leading designed artificial reef modules. Currently there are over 632,000 of these units deployed in over 70 different countries, including the Bahamas. They are simply the safest and most effective way to create sustainable marine reef habitat. The PH balanced concrete structures are made with an easy to use, portable fiberglass mold system (picture below).

making%20a%20ball.jpg The concrete used to make Reef Balls contains micro silica, creating a super high strength, abrasion resistant, concrete. They are also treated to create a rough surface texture in order to promote settling by marine organisms such as corals, algae, coralline algae and sponges. Studies have shown that these Reef Balls create life when correctly placed in the water and each one of them can add up to 500 lbs. of biomass per year. That’s more fish, lobsters, coral and algae nourishing our marine environment. Spill over effect means more fish available from West End to Eight Mile Rock.

Adopt-a-Reef Ball with a tax-deductible donation

You can own a “Piece-of-the-Reef” through adoption.

reef_02.jpg

• Each adopted ball produces up to 500 lbs. of biomass yearly, that’s fish, lobsters, coral and algae! Spill over effect means more fish available to the local Bahamian public.

• Each adopted ball supports a “Coral Propagation Program”, which rescues local endangered or imperiled corals and transplants them onto designated units.

• Each adopted ball supports local schools where students will be able to learn about the importance of the marine environment in a hands-on experience.

• Each adopted ball supports the College of the Bahamas, biology division, for coral propagation training including monitoring growth and fish density studies.

A Reef Ball can be adopted for only $200.

So I guess that's their purpose of them. I just didn't like them at all. :o

:D

Oh, I hope that is ALL those reef balls are. I don't like them either, though, knowing what others are used for! It's like a re-purposed coffin. I know there isn't a body in those (now) but still...Icky!

Oh, I didn't think about it...so the Gem (and Jade) are part of the same line up of ships with the Pearl and the Jewel correct? I have been on the Pearl and Jewel, so that gives me some type of idea what they would be like then.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the 2 story atrium and the glass at the top of it. I love Chihuly! We have a bunch of it here at our Conservatory and I love to go there and just take pictures. I did a photography class one year and used that as some of my submissions. The colors make for a GREAT picture.

collage-final-web-M.jpg

Did you know that (or at least I was told by one of the workers at the conservatory) that when Chihuly creates a bunch of things together (as seen in the picture on the left and 3rd one down), that he mixes a bunch of things together and hides something in it that you are to find? We have a tunnel that you walk in and the top of the tunnel is glass and then a bunch of the Chihuly laying everywhere on top of it. It's huge. He hid an angel in it. It's hard to find and it took me awhile, but it's pretty neat. :D

That's a gorgeous collage. My husband's hobby is photography, too.

Yep, Jade, Jewel, Pearl and Gem are all Gem Class ships and very similar. They came out in this order each year staring in 2005: Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem. One of them has the first bowling alley at sea - I think it was the Pearl as the Jade doesn't have a bowling alley. The Jade was originally named the Pride of Hawaii, but was repurposed to Europe in her maiden year due to huge losses for NCL America and that same year was renamed the Jade. The Hawaiian cultural center was repurposed as the casino. However they didn't redecorate the MDR which has a huge statue of King Kamehameha and gorgeous murals of Hawaii in it! LOL! All the same, the MDR is a gorgeous room. The Jade's Suite colors are fuchsia, purple and green. It seems like all the Gem class ships have specific suite colors. I think that the rest of the staterooms are similar in colors across the Gem Class ships. I like the bathrooms in the regular staterooms which are divided into 3 sections with sliding glass doors. The storage is also really good. The suites have beautiful art glass sliding doors. These are the ships that caused us to get hooked on NCL. But, like you, we like other cruise lines as well and we try not to do the same ship twice, although the Jade is so wonderful, we've been on Jade twice - in a Villa and an Owner's suite - both at very reasonable prices - in Europe.

We love Chihuly, too. There was a big display of it at the Dallas Arboretum last spring that we were going to photograph and then...disaster. Here in Dallas in the spring, we often get hail - not just little hail either, big golf ball and baseball sized hail! Hail so big it takes out windshields, skylights, destroys tile roofs, goes through shake shingle roofs and destroys cars, the hail damages trees and has even hit people on the head and killed them. Guess what? We had a hail storm! Anyone who lives around here knows this is a likelihood and sure enough, there was hail and one of the sculptures had some parts destroyed. Anyway, that storm came on the day we had scheduled to photograph the exhibit, so, not wanting to risk our photography equipment (or our lives or our vehicle) we didn't wind up going.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/18791176/glass-artwork-damaged-during-dallas-hailstorm

Interesting about the angel hidden in the sculptures, though! I'll have to look for hidden objects next time I see a Chihuly sculpture.

Anyway, thank you for the great review! I want to suggest you consider doing a Panama Canal cruise next time - many of these are 10 to 13 days. Routes from Puerto Rico include some fantastic islands like Grenada, Curacao, and St. Lucia. Routes from Miami include Cartegena, Colon and Puerto Limon. This is the cruise we took first - Panama Canal on the Sun Princess. You have to go on a smaller ship because not all ships can fit through the canal. The day going through the Panama Canal is AMAZING and loaded with incredible and often unexpected photo opportunities! If you can, get a balcony, so you can get some shade on that day. Otherwise, use lots of sunscreen and bring a hat because you will be out on deck all day long taking the most amazing photos. It is very hot and muggy going through the canal, but oh...so worth it! You might bring a neck cooling wrap - that is helpful when the humidity is so high you feel like you are going to melt.

The other cruise you and your family might want to try would be a Med cruise. I didn't know how wonderful these were until the first time we went and we've done 3 so far and are wanting to go again soon - so we're hooked!

collage-final-web-M.jpg

His work and use that term loosely because he has not blown glass since 1979? is really cool. He and his artist have inspired me in some of the glass I blow. If your ever in Vegas be sure to check out his work in the Bellagio.

http://govegas.about.com/od/bellagio/ig/Chihuly-Sculpture-at-Bellagio/

Edited by Laszlo

Have these penny machines always been available? I just noticed one on our last cruise...

I may just be oblivious, kind of like the fact that I have yet to see the coffee machines in the buffet that are made with fresh beans...