Passport Debate

wrighka

In every single case where disaster struck and a cruise ship didn't complete it's closed loop, exceptions have been made. Nobody was kept out of the US for not having a passport.

And if you have to fly home, you can typically get an emergency passport in 1-2 business days. Not ideal when there is an emergency. But when people point out the risks people take, they should present those risks realistically

I did not realize that exceptions are made as you stated and that is good to know, but it is still not a reason that I would not have my passport with me. As for the 1-2 business days, yes it can be done but if you already have it, then you do not need to wait those days.

I agree with one earlier post. For the cost of a passport that is spread over a 10 year period (yes only 5 years for young children), the actual cost per year for the comfort of having a solid piece of ID (as long as you do not let it expire), is the piece of mind that I like traveling with.

As I stated in my earlier post, because I had my passport when I reached the U.S. border outside of Hamilton, Ontario on Sept. 14, 2001, it made the trip home all the easier.

In every single case where disaster struck and a cruise ship didn't complete it's closed loop, exceptions have been made. Nobody was kept out of the US for not having a passport.

And if you have to fly home, you can typically get an emergency passport in 1-2 business days. Not ideal when there is an emergency. But when people point out the risks people take, they should present those risks realistically

I did not realize that exceptions are made as you stated and that is good to know, but it is still not a reason that I would not have my passport with me. As for the 1-2 business days, yes it can be done but if you already have it, then you do not need to wait those days.

I agree with one earlier post. For the cost of a passport that is spread over a 10 year period (yes only 5 years for young children), the actual cost per year for the comfort of having a solid piece of ID (as long as you do not let it expire), is the piece of mind that I like traveling with.

As I stated in my earlier post, because I had my passport when I reached the U.S. border outside of Hamilton, Ontario on Sept. 14, 2001, it made the trip home all the easier.

IMHO it's seems pretty dumb not to get one if you are going to any foreign country. If there is a govt overthrow you could be in hot water. I think you have to have a reason beside "I'm going on a cruise to get a 2 day" Be safe and get one.

The hardest thing to do is quit smoking and then not "BRAG" about it to anyone.

Edited by WupperAV

Also a reminder that is always appropriate to passport discussions -- make copies of your passport and email them to yourself if possible.

You never know when all of your documents may be lost stolen or destroyed.

You can get a passport replacement much faster if you have a copy of your signature page.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Also a reminder that is always appropriate to passport discussions -- make copies of your passport and email them to yourself if possible.

You never know when all of your documents may be lost stolen or destroyed.

You can get a passport replacement much faster if you have a copy of your signature page.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They can find you in the system with your name and ssn in about a minute. Having a copy doesn't make it quicker.

People act like they are going to Beirut or Syria.

It's just the Caribbean.

I highly doubt anyone needs to "fly home"....

Having to fly home if something happens that requires you to be there or because you have a medical emergency or miss the ship are possibilities but for most the risk is very low. Some think the risk is enough to obtain a passport, some don't.

It's just the Caribbean.

You obviously don't have parents in their 80's and 90's at home . Yes there are reasons you may need to fly home .

My daughter just decided she still wants a new passport with her married name.

I already made the reservations with her maiden name. Will it be a problem to get the reservations switched? Tried calling my agent, but she's out if the office until after the new year.

I already made the reservations with her maiden name. Will it be a problem to get the reservations switched? Tried calling my agent, but she's out if the office until after the new year.

Royal allows you to change names on bookings as long as one of the original names on the booking stays the same.

Edited by clarea

Yes, you will be able to change the name but if it is not a US booking, you may be charged a fee.

Let me get this straight. Your daughter been married two years. Her passport still has three years on it. You make reservations in the name on her passport. NOW (two years after marriage, three months before the cruise) she suddenly decides that she needs to change her name. And she expects YOU to do all the additional work. And you are going to do it?:eek:

It's just the Caribbean.

If you get sick or injured and have to leave the ship, you will most likely need to fly home.

If you miss a ship at a port you most likely will have to fly home or between countries to catch up to the ship

If there is a family emergency where you have to leave the ship and get home you will need to fly.

Most don't but every cruise there are a few that need to leave the ship and will need to fly home.

If you get sick or injured and have to leave the ship, you will most likely need to fly home.

If you miss a ship at a port you most likely will have to fly home or between countries to catch up to the ship

If there is a family emergency where you have to leave the ship and get home you will need to fly.

Most don't but every cruise there are a few that need to leave the ship and will need to fly home.

I think I will take my chances.

And I bet my odds of not having to do any of the above things are 100%

Let me get this straight. Your daughter been married two years. Her passport still has three years on it. You make reservations in the name on her passport. NOW (two years after marriage, three months before the cruise) she suddenly decides that she needs to change her name. And she expects YOU to do all the additional work. And you are going to do it?:eek:

Well, we just made the reservation last week. Yes, I know it seems last minute to you guys. But it's our family Christmas present.

I see passports as the same as trip insurance.

Are either one of the NEEDED (as in you can't go on the cruise without them)? With some exceptions, no.

Are both of them good to have "just in case"? Yes.

The same reasoning is used in deciding whether or not to get them, but that doesn't mean that the answer will be the same. For me the risk is unacceptable to go without travel insurance (a possible financial hit of $30k or more for a medevac) whereas the risk for not having a passport is far less catastrophic (especially since the costs of any delay in returning would be covered by insurance).

The same reasoning is used in deciding whether or not to get them, but that doesn't mean that the answer will be the same. For me the risk is unacceptable to go without travel insurance (a possible financial hit of $30k or more for a medevac) whereas the risk for not having a passport is far less catastrophic (especially since the costs of any delay in returning would be covered by insurance).
Each of us has out own comfort level (or maybe that is our own perception of risk), and makes our own choices. I have had a passport since 1968, and it has taken me to well over 100 countries. I NEVER buy cruise insurance, as I think it is overpriced, and I am willing (but hope not to) eat the few thousand dollars cost of the trip. I think that sparks1093 correctly identifies the big risk - medevac:eek: - and I carry annual $100k medevac insurance which costs less than cruise insurance for a single cruise. I save enough not getting individual cruise insurance to pay for another cruise about every two years (yes, we do travel a fair amount). And I take my passport on those cruises, whether required or not.:)

Thom

My understanding is that you do not need a passport. However, I highly recommend getting one if the cost isn't too much of an issue. It's easier and eventually she may need one anyway so it's good to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford a passport that will last them 10 years ;)

I agree 110%. Since travel insurance is sooooo inexpensive, I just consider it part of the cost to cruise. I have had 3 emergency surgeries while on the mainland but had any of those 3 events happened while onboard a ship, I would've needed to be air lifted off so the $45 trip insurance cost vs. air evac costs....well, it's a no brainer.

I sailed for years with just a birth certificate but after all of my medical emergencies, it scared me into getting a passport so that I would be able to fly home from any country should the need arise.

Happy sailing.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford a passport that will last them 10 years ;)

Affordability is only one part of the equation. When we started cruising it would have cost my family in the neighborhood of $900 for passports for a 4 day cruise. Now, had we needed them we would have found a way to work it into the budget or we would have chosen a different form of vacation. However, we had an option that didn't cost anything extra that really didn't pose that much of an added risk so it didn't make sense to get something that wasn't absolutely needed. We decided to wait to get passports until we reached the point in our life where we needed them for international air travel. That time is almost here- we are planning on taking a trip to Germany next year and will be applying for passports in January:).

I agree 110%. Since travel insurance is sooooo inexpensive, I just consider it part of the cost to cruise. I have had 3 emergency surgeries while on the mainland but had any of those 3 events happened while onboard a ship, I would've needed to be air lifted off so the $45 trip insurance cost vs. air evac costs....well, it's a no brainer.

I sailed for years with just a birth certificate but after all of my medical emergencies, it scared me into getting a passport so that I would be able to fly home from any country should the need arise.

Happy sailing.

That is an excellent point- the decision to use a birth certificate/government issued ID is one that needs to be made for each trip because risk level can change and eventually the point will be reached where it makes sense to obtain a passport because of an increased risk (parents have gotten older, cruising without the kids for the first time and leaving them home, increased medical conditions of the traveler, etc.). And my favorite reason- travel needs have changed and require a passport so one can fly to spouse's home country to see her family:D.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford a drink package.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford dining in specialty restaurants.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford ship excursions.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford trip insurance.

Sorry, I hate that argument. No one gets to decide what *I* can afford.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford a drink package.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford dining in specialty restaurants.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford ship excursions.

If one can afford to cruise, one can afford trip insurance.

Sorry, I hate that argument. No one gets to decide what *I* can afford.

Well said!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk