Appropriate gift for our Concierge...

Deatsch

[quote name='A&L_Ont']My understanding is that the WOW card for concierge is not accepted by the height ups in the "reward" system. That is what I have been informed by a few of them. They can accept them, but the explanation I was given is since many frequent cruisers and concierges are friends there is a conflict of interest. I have been informed that the best thing to do is comment upon how good they were on the survey. Therefore I stopped giving them to the concierge but continue to leave them an envelope. ;)[/quote]

Thanks for this information - makes perfect sense.

[quote name='travelgoddess1']CASH.

Concierges cannot accept WOW cards, or so I was told by one.

They all seem to enjoy chocolate in general, M&M's specifically. :D In addition to CASH. :)[/quote]

Have seen at least one wearing a WOW badge, wonder how they got that then?

[quote name='SeaPeaInn']We have been getting dinner at the specialty restaurant as part of the suite package. Is this the same dinner or in addition to the "free" dinner?[/QUOTE]

What suite package? Princess offers a complimentary specialty restaurant cover on the first night of a cruise (5 nights or longer) to their suite guests, but RCI does not do that routinely as far as I know.

[quote name='delirious9876']I appreciate what you're saying. Thanks for your viewpoint.

I think the issue for me would be that I would not choose to eat in a speciality restaurant so the fact that someone has given me a 'gift' I wouldn't have done myself will now cost me money I wouldn't have spent if I tip them.

(Of course I will tip the concierge for other things as usual)[/QUOTE]

If you don't want to eat in the specialty restaurant, you could always decline his kind offer. Then you're off the hook.:) But if it's something you think you would enjoy, then by all means accept it and include a thank you note in your tip envelope. I don't itemize what the Concierge does for me, just have a baseline amount for a week and then add to it if I think that s/he has gone above and beyond that baseline. I'm not sure that picking you to receive a free meal is really above and beyond since the effort required to make the reservation is minimal, but I'd certainly thank him for it.

As for the WOW card, I've only had one Concierge decline to accept one, saying that he wasn't eligible. Others have had no such problem.

I bet that even if they don't get the normal brownie points for WOW cards, it's still a nice way to say thank you to them and it couldn't hurt. It's kind of rude for them to decline it. They could just accept it as a compliment and stick it in their pocket instead of turning it in. The customer would be none the wiser and still leave with a happy feeling.

Tom

[quote name='critterchick']
As for the WOW card, I've only had one Concierge decline to accept one, saying that he wasn't eligible. Others have had no such problem.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tserface']I bet that even if they don't get the normal brownie points for WOW cards, it's still a nice way to say thank you to them and it couldn't hurt. It's kind of rude for them to decline it. They could just accept it as a compliment and stick it in their pocket instead of turning it in. The customer would be none the wiser and still leave with a happy feeling.

Tom[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's rude at all - Diego was letting me know that I could give the card to somebody else and help that person instead of wasting it on him. It ended up going to our excellent stateroom attendant, who was most pleased to receive it.

Is there a limit on WOW cards? If that's the case and that was his intention then I apologize for misinterpreting the situation.

Tom

[quote name='critterchick']I don't think it's rude at all - Diego was letting me know that I could give the card to somebody else and help that person instead of wasting it on him. It ended up going to our excellent stateroom attendant, who was most pleased to receive it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tserface']Is there a limit on WOW cards? If that's the case and that was his intention then I apologize for misinterpreting the situation.

Tom[/quote]
You generally only get a couple of WOW cards to give away per cruise. You get them at the check-in counter. Edited by clarea

[quote name='clarea']You generally only get a couple of WOW cards to give away per cruise. You get them at the check-in counter.[/QUOTE]

A couple? Every time I have received one, it has been only one. I would love to have two to give out.

In that case... never mind. I just learned something new. We've just gone to get them from customer service as needed, but we seldom do more than one or two per cruise so I didn't know there was a limit.

Tom

[quote name='Cuizer2']A couple? Every time I have received one, it has been only one. I would love to have two to give out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tserface']I bet that even if they don't get the normal brownie points for WOW cards, it's still a nice way to say thank you to them and it couldn't hurt. It's kind of rude for them to [COLOR=red]decline it[/COLOR]. They could just accept it as a compliment and stick it in their pocket instead of turning it in. The customer would be none the wiser and still leave with a happy feeling.

Tom[/quote]

Before I learned that they could not use it, they had always accepted it. Not until we became closer friends did one tell us that they could not use it. They just asked that on the survey that we mention our experience with their service.

[quote name='Cuizer2']A couple? Every time I have received one, it has been only one. I would love to have two to give out.[/quote]
The check-in people at Port Canaveral usually give us two, and we've been able to get a couple more by asking.

[quote name='tserface']In that case... never mind. I just learned something new. We've just gone to get them from customer service as needed, but we seldom do more than one or two per cruise so I didn't know there was a limit.

Tom[/quote]
Interesting, I did not think you could get WOW cards once you were onboard the ship.

We've had them delivered to our room before (it was right at the start of the cruise).

Maybe there are no hard fast rules about Wowing...

Tom

[quote name='clarea']
Interesting, I did not think you could get WOW cards once you were onboard the ship.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='A&L_Ont']Before I learned that they could not use it, they had always accepted it. Not until we became closer friends did one tell us that they could not use it. They just asked that on the survey that we mention our experience with their service.[/QUOTE]I always mention good concierges on my comment card.

[quote name='SherriZ366']I always mention good concierges on my comment card.[/QUOTE]

We do, too. We carry a card around with us and write names of the crew down to whom we want to give a positive comment on the survey. Now that the surveys are emailed, it's even harder to remember their names once we are off the ship.

Because the Concierge declined to accept the WOW card, I don't give them to any Concierge now, which is a shame, because on our last cruise, I would have loved to give both Concierges a WOW card. They both deserved it! :) They both got glowing comments on the survey, however, along with a nice gratuity. Edited by travelgoddess1

[quote name='SherriZ366']I always mention good concierges on my comment card.[/QUOTE]

Us too, and prior to learning about the WOW card aspect. Their job can be rewarding, but also very taxing. IMO they deserve great credit for dealing with the "fun" guests. ;)

[quote name='critterchick']What suite package? Princess offers a complimentary specialty restaurant cover on the first night of a cruise (5 nights or longer) to their suite guests, but RCI does not do that routinely as far as I know.

If you don't want to eat in the specialty restaurant, you could always decline his kind offer. Then you're off the hook.:) But if it's something you think you would enjoy, then by all means accept it and include a thank you note in your tip envelope. [B] I don't itemize what the Concierge does for me, just have a baseline amount for a week and then add to it if I think that s/he has gone above and beyond that baseline. [/B]I'm not sure that picking you to receive a free meal is really above and beyond since the effort required to make the reservation is minimal, but I'd certainly thank him for it.

As for the WOW card, I've only had one Concierge decline to accept one, saying that he wasn't eligible. Others have had no such problem.[/QUOTE]

We do the same thing, and it's a good rule to follow. :)

[quote name='Straughn']It may be time to by stock in Mars candy. Something tells me there is going to be a run on peanut M&M's.[/QUOTE]

LOL, you may be right! :D Edited by travelgoddess1

Concierge and any other staff member are there primarily to earn money. Why would you ask what an appropriate gift is and not what an appropriate tip is? The wording makes it sound like you don't want to tip the concierge but to give them some kind of tangible item. Well, don't. Give money. Simple. I say 25% of the value of the comped dinner in form of a tip to the concierge is nice. Just my opinion. Don't give them "stuff"

Why thank you for your opinion Lovey (?) Really?

I was asking if something in addition to a monetary gift is appropriate. What I SAID was: "We'd like to do something for him." I didn't ask if we should TIP him or not.

Wake up before you start chastising.

[quote name='tserface']Is there a limit on WOW cards? If that's the case and that was his intention then I apologize for misinterpreting the situation.

Tom[/QUOTE]

We get one each unless they've run out at the pier. Sometimes we have been able to get them onboard, sometimes not. I think they want us to use them to reward "the" best employee, which is hard when you have a great waitstaff and are sailing solo.

[quote name='Deatsch']Why thank you for your opinion Lovey (?) Really?

I was asking if something in addition to a monetary gift is appropriate. What I SAID was: "We'd like to do something for him." I didn't ask if we should TIP him or not.

Wake up before you start chastising.[/quote]

The appropriate answer is MONEY. If you were planning to give money you wouldn't have mentioned "gift". They are all going to smile and say thank you. They are there for money. Don't give them candy or a trinket. If you must do something personal give a thank you note with the money. I'm not chastising, I am being bluntly clear. Don't give them "junk". JUST MONEY.