Appropriate gift for our Concierge...

Deatsch

Tipping is a personal matter. We usually tip the bar servers a few dollars nightly if we are there for evening cocktails.

The concierge, we have tipped $0 sometimes, if we never talked to them at all. Sometimes $20 to $50 or more depending on the services requested, and how much we interacted with them. Maybe how helpful they were, it depends on lots of stuff. :)

I do the same thing.

I appreciate totally that cash is the preferred gift for crew, however in a case such as this if I gave cash I'd feel like I might as well have just paid for my speciality dining.

What's the different - cash to the person 'offering it' or cash to the restaurant directly ???

Shouldn't it be about the Concierge than about your feelings?

We bring chocolate covered macadamia nuts, honey roasted mac nuts, and other goodies to pass out to crew as appreciation. Just some things from home that we like to share, especially since some of items can't be found elsewhere. But we also ALWAYS give cash. It's what they want and can always use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shouldn't it be about the Concierge than about your feelings?

I appreciate what you're saying. Thanks for your viewpoint.

I think the issue for me would be that I would not choose to eat in a speciality restaurant so the fact that someone has given me a 'gift' I wouldn't have done myself will now cost me money I wouldn't have spent if I tip them.

(Of course I will tip the concierge for other things as usual)

Edited by delirious9876

I think cash and the offer of dinner would be a great.

My understanding is that the WOW card for concierge is not accepted by the height ups in the "reward" system. That is what I have been informed by a few of them. They can accept them, but the explanation I was given is since many frequent cruisers and concierges are friends there is a conflict of interest. I have been informed that the best thing to do is comment upon how good they were on the survey. Therefore I stopped giving them to the concierge but continue to leave them an envelope. ;)

When I was a younger fellow, I worked as a ski instructor at Lake Tahoe. I can't tell you how many knit caps I was given as a thank you gift from Christmas vacation folks whose families I had taught.

Cash is king. Of course, there was that one winter when my gift was a request to babysit a lake house for the season during a nasty divorce.

When I was a younger fellow, I worked as a ski instructor at Lake Tahoe. I can't tell you how many knit caps I was given as a thank you gift from Christmas vacation folks whose families I had taught. Sorry, but

cash is king.

Of course, there was that one winter when my gift was a request to babysit a lake house for the season during a nasty divorce.

My understanding is that the WOW card for concierge is not accepted by the height ups in the "reward" system. That is what I have been informed by a few of them. They can accept them, but the explanation I was given is since many frequent cruisers and concierges are friends there is a conflict of interest. I have been informed that the best thing to do is comment upon how good they were on the survey. Therefore I stopped giving them to the concierge but continue to leave them an envelope. ;)

Interesting and makes sense cause so many people know the concierge. I do always mention them by name as well as other staff members on the survey. I have a habit of taking pictures of their name tags so that way I have their entire name to put on the survey. Makes it easier for me.

You can always email him to thank him again. Link to GoogleDoc spreadsheet for Current Concierge thread, which we have been trying to keep current:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hKBiGZ9Gqcp2G2owtX3RyQy7yQ0ijgxCL0nPjQKK8j4/edit?pli=1#gid=0

I looked on the spreadsheet and they are for the Concierge Lounge but Efren is in the Diamond Lounge, but thanks for the idea. I'll check some more for his full name and e-mail address.

Edited by Agutaya

[quote name='Agutaya']I looked on the spreadsheet and he just went on vacation but I will keep it in mind for when he returns. Thanks.[/QUOTE]You're welcome -- I think that Concierges and other employees appreciate positive communications from passengers.

Cash always. A personal note or email, plus a personal note to his/her superior are always welcome and appreciated. Something edible to go with the cash (fancy chocolates, nuts, candies, etc) are a good idea also. Some people recommend actual gifts such as a t-shirt or ball cap from your home team. I think while those might be appreciated and seem like a fun, room on the ship is so precious that they are not such a good idea.

Interesting to note that I got in touch with Efren via the Concierge email on Vision rather than any other form.

Don't tell Efren as he seems to think he's the Concierge.

[quote name='Agutaya']I looked on the spreadsheet and they are for the Concierge Lounge but Efren is in the Diamond Lounge, but thanks for the idea. I'll check some more for his full name and e-mail address.[/quote]

[quote name='travelgoddess1']CASH.

[COLOR=Red]Concierges cannot accept WOW cards, or so I was told by one.[/COLOR]

They all seem to enjoy chocolate in general, M&M's specifically. :D In addition to CASH. :)[/quote]
That's right Karen, no WOW cards to concierges.

[quote name='Deatsch']Interesting to note that I got in touch with Efren via the Concierge email on Vision rather than any other form.

Don't tell Efren as he seems to think he's the Concierge.[/QUOTE]Was that for the CL or the DL. I have been updating the GoogleDoc Spreadsheet on Concierges and we have him in the DL. [url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hKBiGZ9Gqcp2G2owtX3RyQy7yQ0ijgxCL0nPjQKK8j4/edit?pli=1#gid=371892551[/url]

[quote name='travelgoddess1']CASH.

Concierges cannot accept WOW cards, or so I was told by one.

They all seem to enjoy chocolate in general, M&M's specifically. :D In addition to CASH. :)[/QUOTE]

That's what I like about CC, I am constantly learning new things.

[quote name='Deatsch']What's everyone think?

Efren, our Concierge on Vision, has indicated he's giving us a dinner at Chops/Giovanni's.

We'd like to do something for him.

Ideas?

TIA,[/quote]

Give him a big tip.