Emerald Princess to Join Australian Fleet

LauraS

Why we are getting these Mega ships now ?

Revenue.The more cabins more money.

Its as simple as that.

Population of North America much higher than Australia.

So we will all get stuffed onto Mega Ships.:eek:

If I was a large stock holder I would be ringing my hands with glee.

We humble passengers have no say in the matter;)

I cannot believe that you are all upset that we are at last getting a decent ship down here from Princess that isn't beyond the use by date. For too long we have had the cast offs and now that we are finally being recognised as a country that is taking to cruising in a big way, you are all being so unsporting and acting like spoilt children. Princess has a lot of ships and yet you begrudge us one of them! After all, we are only getting her for our summer months from November to April and then not until 2016!

I'm not sure why those "down under" feel that they deserve to have the newer and more popular ships. It's not a matter of having the rights to a certain ship. What ever business model Princess is using is pointing them to send these ships there. Believe me it's got nothing to do with Australia deserving anything.

That being said, I would be very happy to have Diamond, Sapphire, a couple of the Sun Class ships and Regal Princess 1 back in exchange for Emerald. Bigger isn't always better and while Emerald Princess is a fine ship, compared to other ships in the fleet, she ain't all that.

Its as simple as that.

You're right in that it comes down to money. I always say, "Follow the money" but when it comes to designing ships, it's a bit more complicated. The bottom line is that the large ships are much more efficient and cost-effective to operate plus they generate more revenue.

No, we have no say. However, as long as people keep booking the larger, newer ships, Princess (and other lines) will continue to build them since it pays for them to do so. It's not based on what we want or what interests us but what people are willing to pay.

Emerald Princess is scheduled to sail Australia itineraries fom NOVEMBER 2016, so at least, until October 2016 she should spend her season in Europe - for example, she is listed at Copenhagen, Bergen and Geiranger (Northern Europe), as well as in several Mediterranean ports throughout the summer season 2016...

A couple of posters in the Australian forum have found this information.

Civitavecchia shows Emerald Princess 3 October 2016 0600 - 1900.

Emerald Princess is booked into Darwin on the 8th November, and Sydney on the 15th November 2016.

So it seems it maybe coming coming via Asia/Europe.

So just have to find out where else it stops on its way down. Certainly will be a nice repo home.

Our very first cruise in 1998 was on the Sun Princess and I thought SHE was large. :) Since then we have advanced to the Royal and have plans to sail on the Regal in Jan.2016. We were on the Caribbean Princess in Sept. after a 10 year absence.

All this to say, that a cruise ship is a cruise ship. We've been on the Emerald and Ruby twice, too.

All of us will still have the Ruby Princess-. We loved the Golden so would be happy to have her back in Ft. L. The Crown never caught our attention after the 15 degree list back in her early days-(human error).

I believe that Australia should have a newer ship. There's been a lot of attention given to the country in recent months that has opened the world to her good possibilities. Unfortunately, we won't be able to go down there because we don't fly so rely on the Caribbean cruises. Why not let them have one of our ships? Let's share our "toys".

Many cruisers fly to our shores from distant countries to be able to enjoy our ships. Maybe it's our turn to fly somewhere else to enjoy their hospitality.

Hubby believes that the Royal was too big for him-after being on the smaller ships- but we'll sail on the Regal, as stated, because of a good opportunity for us. We are all loyal to our ships, which is okay, but a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

We've never had a bad one. However, I would put in a vote for the Grand to be located elsewhere. ;)

Take care.

Lynne

Our very first cruise in 1998 was on the Sun Princess and I thought SHE was large. :) Since then we have advanced to the Royal and have plans to sail on the Regal in Jan.2016. We were on the Caribbean Princess in Sept. after a 10 year absence.

All this to say, that a cruise ship is a cruise ship. We've been on the Emerald and Ruby twice, too.

All of us will still have the Ruby Princess-. We loved the Golden so would be happy to have her back in Ft. L. The Crown never caught our attention after the 15 degree list back in her early days-(human error).

I believe that Australia should have a newer ship. There's been a lot of attention given to the country in recent months that has opened the world to her good possibilities. Unfortunately, we won't be able to go down there because we don't fly so rely on the Caribbean cruises. Why not let them have one of our ships? Let's share our "toys".

Many cruisers fly to our shores from distant countries to be able to enjoy our ships. Maybe it's our turn to fly somewhere else to enjoy their hospitality.

Hubby believes that the Royal was too big for him-after being on the smaller ships- but we'll sail on the Regal, as stated, because of a good opportunity for us. We are all loyal to our ships, which is okay, but a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

We've never had a bad one. However, I would put in a vote for the Grand to be located elsewhere. ;)

Take care.

Lynne

Thank you Lynne for your fair comments. We do fly all over the world to board a Princess ship as we don't always want to just cruise around Australia. The fuss that some of you have made about us getting just one of Princess's ships for 4 months has been unfair. We Australians have a wonderful country, we are outgoing and we try and join in when we are on ships with mainly U.S. passengers.

We are now seeing so many more of our population cruising and Princess is trying to stay with the competition from Celebrity, RCCL and NCL. They cannot compete at the moment with just the Sun, Sea and Dawn and the Diamond which is now mainly in Japan for most of the year.

We are getting the Golden next year for four months and then at the end of 2016, we are getting the Emerald. That is as far as the planning has gone and if you cannot let us have one ship for four months, then you are acting like spoilt children. Surely, there are enough ships cruising from U.S. shores to let us have just one over our summer months.

Jennie

From the headline, that's what I assume is the case, i.e., the Emerald is being redeployed permanently to Princess Australia and won't reposition back to the U.S.

That's what happened with Dawn Princess...she went "on loan" to Australia & has been there for years.

As to Royal "OR" Regal going instead, wouldn't they want BOTH of them?

We loved Emerald...her picture with us is what we use for a screensaver.

Steve

From the headline, that's what I assume is the case, i.e., the Emerald is being redeployed permanently to Princess Australia and won't reposition back to the U.S.

That's what happened with Dawn Princess...she went "on loan" to Australia & has been there for years.

As to Royal "OR" Regal going instead, wouldn't they want BOTH of them?

We loved Emerald...her picture with us is what we use for a screensaver.

Steve

This paragraph makes me believe its not fulltime.

“With three ships cruising our waters full time and two megaliners visiting for the summer, the 2016 season will offer more exciting options for Australian and New Zealand cruisers," said Stuart Allison, Princess Cruises vice president Australia & New Zealand.

Normally visitors go home. :D

We are getting the Golden next year for four months and then at the end of 2016, we are getting the Emerald. That is as far as the planning has gone and if you cannot let us have one ship for four months, then you are acting like spoilt children. Surely, there are enough ships cruising from U.S. shores to let us have just one over our summer months.

I'm getting a little tired of being called a spoiled child. This is not a matter of one ship for four months. It is the trend of desirable Princess ships being moved from the North American market to where they are unreachable for some of us. Not all of us can fly all over the world to cruise on favorable ships. Whether or not they remain for four months or for perpetuity is yet to be seen. I would guess from a business standpoint, the four months is a trial and if they are successful the ships will be relocated. And as more ships built for the North American market relocate the choices for us will become more limited.

If Princess feels they should abandon the North American market for areas where profits are greater, then that's up to them. But that doesn't mean we have to be comfortable with it. And by the way, being spoiled goes both ways.

Edited by bdjam

A couple of posters in the Australian forum have found this information.

Civitavecchia shows Emerald Princess 3 October 2016 0600 - 1900.

Emerald Princess is booked into Darwin on the 8th November, and Sydney on the 15th November 2016.

So it seems it maybe coming coming via Asia/Europe.

So just have to find out where else it stops on its way down. Certainly will be a nice repo home.

She will fit in the Suez canal and she has only about 35 days to get from Rome to Darwin.

It will take the Pacific 38 days to get from Darwin to Suez in 2016. So that almost has to mean a Suez route via India. I doubt Dubai, but that would be interesting.

This has great potential.

I'm getting a little tired of being called a spoiled child. This is not a matter of one ship for four months. It is the trend of desirable Princess ships being moved from the North American market to where they are unreachable for some of us. Not all of us can fly all over the world to cruise on favorable ships. Whether or not they remain for four months or for perpetuity is yet to be seen. I would guess from a business standpoint, the four months is a trial and if they are successful the ships will be relocated. And as more ships built for the North American market relocate the choices for us will become more limited.

If Princess feels they should abandon the North American market for areas where profits are greater, then that's up to them. But that doesn't mean we have to be comfortable with it. And by the way, being spoiled goes both ways.

I agree that spoiled goes both ways but I can not see where we are spoiled down here. There is no comparison to what we have re ships as to what you have and the competition that is available in the Northern Hemisphere makes for very cheap fares. Down here, we pay top dollar for any cruise out of our waters. I receive the specials that Princess puts out for you and there is no way that we can ever get a cruise for the amount of money that one pays in the U.S. For example a cruise on the Star for next month in a balcony was only $799. There is no way we could ever receive a deal like that.

Perhaps with more ships down here, we may get cheaper fares but at the moment, we are paying top dollar to cruise.

Your statement that Princess is abandoning North America market to send one ship down here is ludicrous. How many ships does Princess have centred around the U.S. There are 16 ships, not counting our favourites, the two little ones, and we have 3 full time down here plus the Diamond and Sapphire are in Asia so that leaves 11 ships and you are letting us have a loan of one per summer. You still have 10 ships to choose from and if for some reason you do not like any of them, then try a different cruise line instead.

Just try and see our point of view for a change. We are just so happy that the cruise lines are finally taking notice of our love of cruising and of course the cruise lines know that down here they are making profits for their shareholders as we are willing to pay for the privilege of being at sea.

Jennie

She will fit in the Suez canal and she has only about 35 days to get from Rome to Darwin.

It will take the Pacific 38 days to get from Darwin to Suez in 2016. So that almost has to mean a Suez route via India. I doubt Dubai, but that would be interesting.

On the world cruise 2011, we sailed 37 days Rome to Darwin via Dubai and 2 ports in India

I agree that spoiled goes both ways but I can not see where we are spoiled down here. There is no comparison to what we have re ships as to what you have and the competition that is available in the Northern Hemisphere makes for very cheap fares. Down here, we pay top dollar for any cruise out of our waters. I receive the specials that Princess puts out for you and there is no way that we can ever get a cruise for the amount of money that one pays in the U.S. For example a cruise on the Star for next month in a balcony was only $799. There is no way we could ever receive a deal like that.

Perhaps with more ships down here, we may get cheaper fares but at the moment, we are paying top dollar to cruise.

Your statement that Princess is abandoning North America market to send one ship down here is ludicrous. How many ships does Princess have centred around the U.S. There are 16 ships, not counting our favourites, the two little ones, and we have 3 full time down here plus the Diamond and Sapphire are in Asia so that leaves 11 ships and you are letting us have a loan of one per summer. You still have 10 ships to choose from and if for some reason you do not like any of them, then try a different cruise line instead.

Just try and see our point of view for a change. We are just so happy that the cruise lines are finally taking notice of our love of cruising and of course the cruise lines know that down here they are making profits for their shareholders as we are willing to pay for the privilege of being at sea.

Jennie

I agree with your post. Enjoy the Emerald. She is a lovely ship. :D

My only question concerns on of the prime entertainers on the Emerald and Ruby. Barty Brown has been a staple in Crooners on both of these ships-I wonder if he'll be tagging along to Australia? :D He could remain on the Ruby but we haven't seen him since 2012.

Enjoy your cruising! (Also, I found that you really learn the scheme of the Princess ships-they are basically the same-only some are bigger or stretched, and some are smaller! A303 is basically in the same place-by the forward lifts. Club Fusion is in the back and Princess Theater in the front. :)

Lynne

Sure does. Just got to wait until Princess releases the schedules. I be certainly checking it out and of course the price.

Enjoy the ship but I doubt there will be many from the US aboard as a steady diet considering the air fare of over $5,000 for 2 people & 24 hour flying time just to sail on the Emerald. Not all Princess cruises are that wealthy.

Flying time from LAX to our east coast (most ships departure points) is less than 14 hours and is about $5000 for 2 but we do it regularly and it is over 24 hours to London. In 2013, 750 Australians boarded the Grand in FLL to cruise Sth America to San Francisco. If you want to see the world, you have to travel long distances and we are certainly not wealthy.

Its as simple as that.

... not only will you be "stuffed onto Mega Ships", you will enjoy a MUCH cheaper rate, better discounts, price drops and OBC from lots agents in the US and better offers than many of us can get down under. You also get advanced early bird sales well before they are released here.

I'm not sure why those "down under" feel that they deserve to have the newer and more popular ships. It's not a matter of having the rights to a certain ship. What ever business model Princess is using is pointing them to send these ships there. Believe me it's got nothing to do with Australia deserving anything.[quote]

I think it's been more a case of like it or lump it ... for many years P&O Australia has had the lions share of the market. Many loyal Princess members at Elite level most likely started out on Sitmar or P&O Australia. The prices were high but we paid them because we got hooked on cruising.

It wasn't until recent years that the prices have been dropped by P&O simply due to competition from other lines. In 2007, we paid something like $2,500 pp for a 13 day cruise ... today you can get it at half that cost, yet the cost to run the ship has gone up.

Clearly P&O which is owned by Carnival PLC and last time I looked only had one Aussie on the board of P&O Cruises Australia ... they have been directing where the ships have gone and know they are past their use by dates so may as well send them to Australia, they'll cruise in a tinny !!

Well not anymore. Our money is as good as the next persons and if we are going to spend it, why should we pay higher rates for a lesser product?

I think the business model is changing ... the prediction for cruising $ is in the billions for Australia ... not bad for a country with a population of some 23m people don't you think?

And BTW, unless we want to cruise all the way around the world, we have no choice but to fly. I've never paid $5K for plane fares to the States ... I'd rather pay less on the flight and spend more on cruising.

Share the toys and play nicely I say.

Princess isn't abandoning the US market by any stretch. Not sure where you get that idea from.

The world is bigger than America. It always astounds me how unworldly some yanks can be - like complaining about flying a meagre 7-10 hours to Europe or 14-18 hours to Australia.

We Australians often have to make very long flight journeys to reach oft visited travel destinations. If its good for us, then surely it's good for Americans.

Whatever happened to that Westward Spirit of yours? :)

Ultimately, Princess is a business and will go where the money is. Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific are boom cruise areas right now. So, it makes sense to deploy one more ship for the Aussie summer season.

It's definitely not permanent. It's seasonal. Try not to take a good business decision so personally.

Princess isn't abandoning the US market by any stretch. Not sure where you get that idea from.

The world is bigger than America. It always astounds me how unworldly some yanks can be - like complaining about flying a meagre 7-10 hours to Europe or 14-18 hours to Australia.

We Australians often have to make very long flight journeys to reach oft visited travel destinations. If its good for us, then surely it's good for Americans.

Whatever happened to that Westward Spirit of yours? :)

Ultimately, Princess is a business and will go where the money is. Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific are boom cruise areas right now. So, it makes sense to deploy one more ship for the Aussie summer season.

It's definitely not permanent. It's seasonal. Try not to take a good business decision so personally.

Well said.

It's interesting reading all of this.

Australia and New Zealand had been on my bucket list all my life. A couple of years ago we decided to make it happen. We LOVE Princess and originally booked something on the Diamond sailing from Auckland to Sydney. That was about the longest cruise I could find without sailing on the Sea, Dawn, etc.

Then I found a 35 day Auckland -round Australia cruise on Celebrity so we defected. (If we were going to fly 20 some hours I wanted to see as much as possible)

We loved the cruise and have actually started sailing Celebrity a little more because of that.

We would still like to return to Australia - New Zealand and are THRILLED that the Emerald will be sailing there - hopefully for some longer cruises.

We've been cruising our whole married life.

We usually cruise in Jan/Feb to get away from our winter.

The Caribbean is nice but all of islands are starting to look the same. We often don't get off the ship anymore. I think Princess is aware there may be many, many people like us who are looking to sail something a little different.

(I hope they keep the Pacific so they don't abandon Tahiti for the same reason)

And BTW- we expected to hate the new Royal because of her size but got one of those too-good-to-be-true offers in the mail so we sailed her. LOVED the ship. Never felt crowded after the first day.