France and travel advisory

gumdrop44

No cruise lines are skipping France, and the US State Department for example is not advising its citizens to avoid travel to France. These events happened in France this week, other incidents have happened in several other countries in recent memory, and unfortunately, they can happen just about everywhere else at any time. Cancelling travel plans in the absence of any specific threat makes little sense, because the same general threat likely exists in the country/region where you are right now.

Wow I'm just wondering because their is a fugitive on the loose. You guys are super harsh. Im aware events like this happen everywhere.

Unfortunately, it's reality, not harshness. We all need to be aware of what's going on, IMO.

Look to your country's government for guidance. No one on here can advise you better than they will.

This website is for US citizens and if you're concerned about travel anywhere in the world you can check here for alerts. If you're not in the US, you can find your country's site just by searching the web.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go.html

Stay safe.

Wow I'm just wondering because their is a fugitive on the loose. You guys are super harsh. Im aware events like this happen everywhere.

As All-ready2cruise already stated, it's just reality.

I'm genuinely interested about why would you think that cruise lines would skip ports in France if they don't cease operations in US when there are fugitives at large there (for proper scale, in the same state as the cruise port). What makes these two situations different in your mind?

Edited by Demonyte

Wow I'm just wondering because their is a fugitive on the loose.
One fugitive on the loose is much less dangerous than the hundreds/thousands/TENS OF THOUSANDS of unidentified and/or inadequately monitored people around the world who are prepared to follow these extremists' example, not just ideologically but with actual plans and funding and equipment and weapons ready to go. These people may be living in your community, in which case you would be safer traveling somewhere else, maybe even to France. Edited by hawkeyetlse

I personally would avoid France right now. They say another attack in definitely going to happen it's just a question of when. They are stating on CNN to avoid places where large number of people gather like amusement parks. Most tourist places are definitely where large numbers of people gather.

The OP asked a legitimate question, not for a reality check.

I personally would avoid France right now. They say another attack in definitely going to happen it's just a question of when. They are stating on CNN to avoid places where large number of people gather like amusement parks. Most tourist places are definitely where large numbers of people gather.

As an individual you have many times more chance of winning the lottery than losing your life to a terror attack at ANY port of call.

As an individual you have many times more chance of winning the lottery than losing your life to a terror attack at ANY port of call.

I wouldn't expose myself to travel to France right now. Those odds may be slim but the threat is real and irreversible unlike winning or loosing the lottery.

I wouldn't expose myself to travel to France right now. Those odds may be slim but the threat is real and irreversible unlike winning or loosing the lottery.

Yes, let's all just stop living and allow these cowards to win the war by showing our fear. I, personally, will not give in to fear.

That would be the same as the journalists and satirists, who have suffered dearly at the hands of these monsters, laying down their pens to stop writing.

This is the new age we live in, and if you allow the monsters to govern what you do, then they have won. Sadly. IMO YMMD

Every day the odds of getting intentionally murdered are 4:1 against you in the US compared to people living in France. To each their own.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Edited by Demonyte

They say another attack in definitely going to happen it's just a question of when.
The answer to that question is "soon", but the bigger question is "where?" and this could be somewhere else in France, or just about anywhere else. If you know for sure where ordinary, innocent people are absolutely safe from these sorts of attacks, then I agree, you should avoid travel to France, and instead go to that magical place ASAP.

Their question has been answered. But this is a discussion forum, not just a Q&A service. That said, since the discussion now has very little to with NCL or cruising I expect the moderators will eventually step in to shut it down.

Do you really think that France is anymore at risk than Boston, NYC, Orlando or . . . The list could go on and on.

I think the OP has a very good question; in this day and age things can change in a minute and it was just a question about cruise ports.

I am not sure I understand the push-back about a very realistic question.

I hope all questions will be respected even though you may think they are not relevant; they are relevant to someone otherwise it would have not been asked.

Please do not assume everyone shares your opinion or knows what you know; that in itself is not kind which just perpetuates more hostility in this world.

Happy and safe cruising all!! :)

Thank you cruisercl andcruzknows! i am totally aware of the terrorist threats domestic and abroad. I saw on the news this morning the travel advisory and simply was wondering if anyone's itineraries changed aince i am leaving next week on a europe cruise. I am not going to cancel my cruise or anything, just trying to plan ahead.

Edited by gumdrop44

If I were an evil person who wanted to do nasty stuff, I certainly would not do it in a place that's crawling with thousands of armed guards with twitchy trigger fingers. As a tourist I would consider Greater Paris one of the spots right now.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Yes, let's all just stop living and allow these cowards to win the war by showing our fear. I, personally, will not give in to fear.

That would be the same as the journalists and satirists, who have suffered dearly at the hands of these monsters, laying down their pens to stop writing.

This is the new age we live in, and if you allow the monsters to govern what you do, then they have won. Sadly. IMO YMMD

It was recently that all cruise lines stopped going to Mexico because of the danger to tourists. Should they have just said we won't give in OR as do they did stop bringing people into harms way.

It's so noble to say I won't give in but quite another to put yourself in harms way. I'll personally would wait until the dust settles before making a decision. I was in France on a MED cruise just last Oct and it would have put a real damper on my frame of mind if this happened then. I would find it difficult to enjoy myself in light of what happened if I were visiting that day.

Everyone needs to do what they are comfortable without the blow back some people like to hurl.

It was recently that all cruise lines stopped going to Mexico because of the danger to tourists. Should they have just said we won't give in OR as do they did stop bringing people into harms way.

It's so noble to say I won't give in but quite another to put yourself in harms way. I'll personally would wait until the dust settles before making a decision. I was in France on a MED cruise just last Oct and it would have put a real damper on my frame of mind if this happened then. I would find it difficult to enjoy myself in light of what happened if I were visiting that day.

Everyone needs to do what they are comfortable without the blow back some people like to hurl.

All cruise lines stopped going to Mexico. Really?

If there was a period of time in the last several years that cruise ships stopped porting in Mexico when was it?

Edited by CPT Trips

Worldwide Caution

LAST UPDATED: JANUARY 9, 2015

The Department of State is updating the Worldwide Caution to provide information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. Recent terrorist attacks, whether by those affiliated with terrorist entities, copycats, or individual perpetrators, serve as a reminder that U.S. citizens need to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness. This replaces the Worldwide Caution dated October 10, 2014.

The Department of State remains concerned about the continued threat of terrorist attacks, demonstrations, and other violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests overseas. On September 22, 2014, the United States and regional partners commenced military action against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a designated terrorist organization in Syria and Iraq. In response to the airstrikes, ISIL called on supporters to attack foreigners wherever they are. Authorities believe there is an increased likelihood of reprisal attacks against U.S., Western and coalition partner interests throughout the world, especially in the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Kidnappings and hostage events involving U.S. citizens have become increasingly prevalent as ISIL, al Qa`ida and its affiliates have increased attempts to finance their operations through kidnapping for ransom operations. ISIL, al-Qa’ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and al-Qa’ida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) are particularly effective with kidnapping for ransom and are using ransom money to fund the range of their activities. Kidnapping targets are usually Western citizens from governments or third parties that have established a pattern of paying ransoms for the release of individuals in custody.

Extremists may elect to use conventional or non-conventional weapons, and target both official and private interests. Examples of such targets include high-profile sporting events, residential areas, business offices, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, public areas, shopping malls, and other tourist destinations both in the United States and abroad where U.S. citizens gather in large numbers, including during holidays.

U.S. citizens are reminded of the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure. Extremists have targeted and attempted attacks on subway and rail systems, aviation, and maritime services. In the past, these types of attacks have occurred in cities such as Moscow, London, Madrid, Glasgow, and New York City.

EUROPE: Current information suggests that ISIL, al-Qa’ida, its affiliated organizations, and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. and Western interests in Europe. Authorities believe the likelihood of a terror attack in Europe is increased as European members of ISIL return from Syria and Iraq. Additionally, there is a continuing threat in Europe from unaffiliated persons planning attacks inspired by major terrorist organizations but conducted on an individual basis. In the past several years, organized extremist attacks have been planned or carried out in various European countries. European governments have taken action to guard against terrorist attacks, and some have made official declarations regarding heightened threat conditions.

And there will be attacks in many other countries. Even staying home may not be safe.

Really?

And which country do you think is safer? Is even staying home safer?