Bridesmaid Dresses

IrishLassie

Does anyone know of any good sites to look for bridesmaid dresses?? I have been asked by my grandson & "granddaughter to be" if I would be their "Sr. Bridesmaid at their wedding, so just looking for some ideas. I'm so excited & thrilled about this & can hardly wait till the big day! :)

Thanks in advance for any info. :D

"Bridesmaid dress" can mean a million things, depending on the wedding. What is the level of formality??

JCrew & Talbots both have wedding type outfits on their websites (not necessarily in stores). Any wedding store will have dresses. But if you're just looking for a nice dress in a certain color pathway, department stores can also be an option.

Are you actually going to be wearing the same dress as all the other bridesmaids? Or will this be a wedding where bridesmaids where the same color but different styles or something like that? I hate to say this, but many "bridesmaid" dresses tend to be aimed at a 20-somethings - I'm not sure that will be what you want....

IrishLassie: What a thrill! Congratulations to the happy couple and have a wonderful time during the whole wedding process! Again, David's Bridal is a good start, especially if they want you in the same fabric as the other bridesmaids.

"Bridesmaid dress" can mean a million things, depending on the wedding. What is the level of formality??

JCrew & Talbots both have wedding type outfits on their websites (not necessarily in stores). Any wedding store will have dresses. But if you're just looking for a nice dress in a certain color pathway, department stores can also be an option.

Are you actually going to be wearing the same dress as all the other bridesmaids? Or will this be a wedding where bridesmaids where the same color but different styles or something like that? I hate to say this, but many "bridesmaid" dresses tend to be aimed at a 20-somethings - I'm not sure that will be what you want....

We're wearing the same color, but we get to choose our own dress. They are all going to be long, I'm just hoping to find something with sleeves!

We're wearing the same color, but we get to choose our own dress. They are all going to be long, I'm just hoping to find something with sleeves!

Won't you all have to buy from the same place so the colors match? What one place calls plum, or whatever, could greatly vary at another place.

Believe it or not Amazon.

When I got married my BMs were on opposite coasts: NYC & Seattle. They were also physically opposite: a petite brunette & a curvy blonde. There was no one dress that would look good on both & no realistic way for us to get together. We were able to pick a designer. I picked the color / material. They each bought a flattering style. I think they paid $36 each.

Edited by trish1c

Won't you all have to buy from the same place so the colors match? What one place calls plum, or whatever, could greatly vary at another place.

Cousin's wedding she had her gals get navy cocktail dresses. They clearly were not from the bridal department and were varying tones of dark blue. It was an informal wedding and everyone looked lovely.

Cousin's wedding she had her gals get navy cocktail dresses. They clearly were not from the bridal department and were varying tones of dark blue. It was an informal wedding and everyone looked lovely.

Yes black or navy seems to be the popular choice and there can be differences in blackand navy. I would be a little OCD and if I picked pink, I would want them all the same shade like these on at the wedding of a friend's daughter.

CopyofKariswedding.jpg

Believe it or not Amazon.

When I got married my BMs were on opposite coasts: NYC & Seattle. They were also physically opposite: a petite brunette & a curvy blonde. There was no one dress that would look good on both & no realistic way for us to get together. We were able to pick a designer. I picked the color / material. They each bought a flattering style. I think they paid $36 each.

This is what I would do.

Judy needs to come back and clarify if all the bridesmaids are in close proximity and if not, how they are going to handle things.

Yes black or navy seems to be the popular choice and there can be differences in blackand navy. I would be a little OCD and if I picked pink, I would want them all the same shade like these on at the wedding of a friend's daughter.

CopyofKariswedding.jpg

This is what I would do.

Judy needs to come back and clarify if all the bridesmaids are in close proximity and if not, how they are going to handle things.

The pink dresses in the pic work because they're all the same color. Cousin's dresses worked because they're all the same length.

Would look awkward with varying shades AND lengths. Need one of those attributes to be consistent.

Edited by SadieN

Seeing you only have to wear same color, you could shop at Macy's, Noordstrom's, Nieman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Dillard's, Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, David's Bridal, JC Penney............ Shop anywhere. You well could find a suitable dress in any of these listed stores and so many more. Most cities have 'non-chain' shops that cater to wedding parties.

If you find a long dress you like but doesn't have sleeves, if the dress if very long you could possibly use some of the hem fabric to have seamstress add a small sleeve to your dress.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you Ladies for all the suggestions, really appreciate it. The bride is going to go to David's Bridal for her fitting & then pick out her colors, Teal Blue & Magenta, and then she will let us all know & send a sample swatch so that we will all match as far as color. The MOH is going to wear the Teal color & us 3 bridesmaids will be in Magenta. We're all wearing long, just different styles.

Thanks again. :)

Judy,

I just read this thread and this is so sweet. I know how much you love your grandson and how very special he is. I remember when Drew and I married and Jimmy walked me down the aisle. It was like a dream come true to have the two most important men in my life that day.

Please keep us posted on what you pick. Oh, is your grandson going to wear his uniform? :)

Judy, David's would be a good place to start. I'm sure they could do a jacket or add sleeves. Remember I bought a second dress for the material and had the jacket made. They would probably order extra material for sleeves or even purchase a sash that could be made into cap sleeves.

Judy' date='

I just read this thread and this is so sweet. I know how much you love your grandson and how very special he is. I remember when Drew and I married and Jimmy walked me down the aisle. It was like a dream come true to have the two most important men in my life that day.

Please keep us posted on what you pick. Oh, is your grandson going to wear his uniform? :)[/quote']

Hi Sherrie, Just saw your 2 posts here. No, my grandson will not be wearing a uniform as he is out of the Navy, but the bride is still in. She just re-enlisted & is hoping to get stationed in Pensacola so they would be moving from VA back into FL, YEA! Much easier for planning their wedding which will be here. I am going to go up to David's once I get the sample of the color she wants me to wear. Will keep you posted.