Credit Card Compromised

jakesnana

It's not hate, it's the inconvenience of the holds when it's used for your SeaPass as well as the idea of someone having access to your money.

The holds are only a problem for those that carry a low daily balance. I'm not saying I have millions in my checking account, but I have enough to cover whatever might be charged to my shipboard account.

It's true than when a debit card is compromised the money quickly leaves your account. But again, that's only a problem for those that carry a low daily balance.

It's not hate, it's the inconvenience of the holds when it's used for your SeaPass as well as the idea of someone having access to your money.

Oh yeah! I DONT use it to secure my Seapass! I do use it to call up Gifts and Gear and pre purchase OBC though. Cash out what I dont use on the last night of the cruise :)

My nephew, who has studied and worked in cyber security, gave me this advise several years ago. If you must use your debit card to make purchases, use it in "signature credit card" mode (assuming you have a cc logo on your debit card). That way all of the information is sent over secure lines. Anytime you enter your PIN # to make a purchase, that information is sent over an unsecured line, making it more likely that your information will be intercepted.

I have always followed his advice and have NEVER had my debit card/bank account compromised. I'm not sure if there is a real connection, but it has worked for all of these years :)

Just and FYI, my son had his credit card compromised, either while checking in for our Explorer OTS cruise, or when making purchases in Cozumel. It is suspected that it happened while checking in for the Explorer for the following reasons:

1. There were 2 charges to the card from RCCL on our disembarkation date. One was for his charges (matches his bill), the other was for $233.00 which he has NO IDEA what they are for. We don't know if it was for someone else's account or what, but I'm sure we'll find out, as we disputed the charges.

2. There were 4 VERY LARGE gas purchases (ranging from $100-$125 each) made on 1/9 (our disembarkation date), 1/10 and 2 on 1/11. They were made in West Palm Beach (2) and Lake Worth (2)

The card has since been cancelled, but I just wanted to warn everyone to be extra cautious of their credit cards, especially in Port Canaveral, as we do not know how the card was compromised.[

First,let me say sorry for the trouble,we had our credit card compromised and it is very scary. When I called the CC co, for our upcoming trip,the man I talked to said not to use your card at the gaspump, he said these are infamous for cloning devices, he said go inside to pay. Again sorry for your son's situation,I know how he feels !

Edited by pattak619
spacing

My nephew, who has studied and worked in cyber security, gave me this advise several years ago. If you must use your debit card to make purchases, use it in "signature credit card" mode (assuming you have a cc logo on your debit card). That way all of the information is sent over secure lines. Anytime you enter your PIN # to make a purchase, that information is sent over an unsecured line, making it more likely that your information will be intercepted.

I have always followed his advice and have NEVER had my debit card/bank account compromised. I'm not sure if there is a real connection, but it has worked for all of these years :)

Same terminal, same phone lines, same security.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a winner!

The holds are only a problem for those that carry a low daily balance. I'm not saying I have millions in my checking account, but I have enough to cover whatever might be charged to my shipboard account.

It's true than when a debit card is compromised the money quickly leaves your account. But again, that's only a problem for those that carry a low daily balance.

Anyone using their debit card for their Seapass realistically needs to have a balance twice the amount they think they'll spend because of the way the holds are placed. Additionally, there should be a reasonable cushion for unanticipated expenditures such as those incurred if they need to avail themselves of the doctor while onboard.

Your statement that it's only a problem for those that carry a low balance is absurd. There's nothing thieves like more than cards with high balances. (credit or debit) It's just more for them to spend............