Credit Card Compromised

jakesnana

When we did our online check-in, it only asked for the last 4 digits of the credit card. I DEFINITELY think it was something that happened at the port, but probably by another passenger vs. a RCCL employee.

As a previous poster mentioned, there are machines that can read your CC through your purse. I suspect that someone read his card info and created a new card, but with his own name on it. THEN during the cruise, went down to guest services to give them that card to use for the onboard purchases.

To answer a previous poster's question about timing - I believe the perpetrator was on the cruise with us, and did not have the opportunity to use the card stateside UNTIL we got back from the cruise, which they did at 11:00 AM on 1/9 in W. Palm Beach, for $100.00 worth of gas.

There is a reason I have not contacted RCCL yet. This is not something a rez agent can take care of. It must be handled by RCCL's accounting dept. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to get someone from RCCL corporate on the phone? I do, as I am a TA and have had to do this MANY times for clients. IMHO, if I dispute the charges, someone from RCCL will contact me, making my hold time with RCCL negligible.

If it was a CC hold, it will fall off and no one will be out anything, otherwise, they can contact us and justify how/where the money was spent.

So it seems like RCI could have inadvertently put a charge on the card that didn't belong to you and not so much that your card was compromised. How would you know unless you call them to see if it was a mistake or not? I'm just asking just in case I missed something in your original post!

So it seems like RCI could have inadvertently put a charge on the card that didn't belong to you and not so much that your card was compromised. How would you know unless you call them to see if it was a mistake or not? I'm just asking just in case I missed something in your original post!

We know the card was compromised because there was a charge for gas for $100 in West Palm Beach on 1/9, a charge for gas for $125 in West Palm Beach on 1/10 and 2 charges for gas for $101 and $124 in Lake Worth on 1/11. We live in Central Florida and drove straight home from Port Canaveral on 1/9. Therefore, someone from the W Palm area had his credit card info.

We know the card was compromised because there was a charge for gas for $100 in West Palm Beach on 1/9, a charge for gas for $125 in West Palm Beach on 1/10 and 2 charges for gas for $101 and $124 in Lake Worth on 1/11. We live in Central Florida and drove straight home from Port Canaveral on 1/9. Therefore, someone from the W Palm area had his credit card info.

Oh Ok! :cool:

Wow! With todays low gas prices, someone has a HUGE tank! :eek: Must be filling up a motor home!

Edited by ryano

When we did our online check-in, it only asked for the last 4 digits of the credit card. I DEFINITELY think it was something that happened at the port, but probably by another passenger vs. a RCCL employee.

As a previous poster mentioned, there are machines that can read your CC through your purse. I suspect that someone read his card info and created a new card, but with his own name on it. THEN during the cruise, went down to guest services to give them that card to use for the onboard purchases.

To answer a previous poster's question about timing - I believe the perpetrator was on the cruise with us, and did not have the opportunity to use the card stateside UNTIL we got back from the cruise, which they did at 11:00 AM on 1/9 in W. Palm Beach, for $100.00 worth of gas.

There is a reason I have not contacted RCCL yet. This is not something a rez agent can take care of. It must be handled by RCCL's accounting dept. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to get someone from RCCL corporate on the phone? I do, as I am a TA and have had to do this MANY times for clients. IMHO, if I dispute the charges, someone from RCCL will contact me, making my hold time with RCCL negligible.

If it was a CC hold, it will fall off and no one will be out anything, otherwise, they can contact us and justify how/where the money was spent.

Do you seriously believe someone travels with the items needed to capture credit card information & create a new card with the correct logo (MC/Visa) & then they used it on the cruise? Have you ever considered writing? You have a great imagination.

Before we cruise, we contact the CC company to add notes about our travel itinerary. On our cruise in Dec the CC company declined a purchase in the US, while we were on the cruise.

Obviously, our card had been compromised and the card was cancelled and we were sent new ones. In speaking with the CC company, it was compromised prior to the cruise but by coincidence was used while we were away.

BTW, past cruises we have had our purchases denied several times while we were on a cruise because of excess charges and they needed verification of the purchase. Hence, why we notify them ahead of time because it can be difficult to contact the company while on a cruise. Once it was rejected midway through the cruise and we had to use another credit card. Second time we had to call the CC company while making a purchase in a jewelry store in St. Thomas.

Rather be safe than sorry so I'm glad the CC company is diligent.

Edited by DaisyL

Before blaming RCCL... Maybe the charges from the cruise line referred to the previous hold that occurred during the cruise and the final charge that happen on the final morning. This two holds always create confusion on debit cards as of course is holding your cash availability but I doubt the double charge, in the worst case scenery the person should has called royal to clarify the charge.

In the other hand, as of now the only ship that required the FULL credit card number on the online check-in for Quantum and Anthem, since you technically don't go to a counter to do your check-in... for the rest of the ships you only enter the last 4 and the check-in agent once doing embarkation will swipe the card to capture the full number, mind you, the check-in system don't let the agent to see the credit card as the card is encrypted at the moment. :D

We had our credit card number stolen from either a restaurant employee in St. Croix or St. John in early December. I have set up instant alerts through my bank (Chase) whenever the card is used. The person made a 99 cent "test" charge. I cancelled the card by phone the next day in port.

We were on the 12/4 EX cruise and had to enter the entire CC number. Maybe Royal decided that was not a good idea.

And I doubt that it was just for Explorer. RCI IT ;) Just wondering if that was around the time they started implementing the Verisign Secured system?

We were on the 12/13 cruise.

We also debarked on 1/9/15 from Explorer. Went straight to Budget rented a car, stopped at Race Trac for drinks. When we got back in the car received a fraud prevention call from our CC company. There was authorization for $1 for Apple and immediately following a $60 for Microsoft of which neither were ours. They closed down DH card immediately & overnights him a new one.

We had used the card while visiting our daughter before boarding the ship & for another Budget Rental when we dropped a car before boarding.

At least our CC caught it quickly.

Our card was never used during the trip & my card (with a slightly different number) was used for check in at Port Canaveral and was not compromised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you happen to get gas at the racetrac? I used to live in Cape Canaveral and my card was compromised. The fraud dept of the bank actually tracked it to that particular race track. I was actually upset because I was in a pinch and needed gas so I stopped there.

Did you happen to get gas at the racetrac? I used to live in Cape Canaveral and my card was compromised. The fraud dept of the bank actually tracked it to that particular race track. I was actually upset because I was in a pinch and needed gas so I stopped there.

No we had just picked it up. We didn't refuel until the end of the day near MCO.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was a betting person I would put money that your card/card number was compromised before you left home and not by RCL. Could have been at the gas station, a restaurant, a store ect. A lot of times these thieves wait a little bit before using the information and either sell it or use it themselves. I think it is also safe to say that they went on a shopping spree for them and their friends at these gas stations.

My card was compromised a couple of years ago and the bank tracked it back to the racetrack in Cape Canaveral. I never bought gas there but did in a pinch one day. The fraud department actually spent about an hour on the phone with me explaining how this fraud happens and how the thieves operate.

Be aware that most US CCs do NOT HAVE RF chips in them, thus readers can't grab your CC number! Check to see if your CC has this chip. If it does, ensure you have a shielded CC sleeve designed to protect your card.

Edited by tinkerme1

I was watching Dateline or 20/20 one of them type of shows and it shows how fast someone can compromise your credit card with a credit card reader and they can even detect it threw your purse or wallet.

I know when I travel I have the sleeves I put my credit cards in, so they are suppost to stop people from stealing your cards wirelessly . Also I dont use my credit card at skethcy or unknown places. For that I always have cash. and always have a back up card :)

They can not get anything THRU your purse unless it has an RFID chip. They did mention that on the show. Also there are credit card sleeves and card cases that can prevent that.

Edited by abridalmaven

Many times the thefts occur at gas stations. For some reason they are more vulnerable than other places. We use a debit card that carries no more that a 200-300 balance. We use it in CC mode not debit as CC cover your loss. Debit cards used as a debit do not.

Many times the thefts occur at gas stations. For some reason they are more vulnerable than other places. We use a debit card that carries no more that a 200-300 balance. We use it in CC mode not debit as CC cover your loss. Debit cards used as a debit do not.

Not sure where you got that information? Using your debit card as a credit card doesn't change anything.

How does a debit card carry a balance? I thought a debit card would be linked to a bank account that carried the balance. Are you talking about one of those prepaid 'gift card' that you load a balance on to?

I sailed EX probably over a dozen times, and have never entered more than the last 4 digits...on ANY RC/X cruise..

I now usually say I will pay cash, and either do that, or wait til I am on the ship to give them my CC...been there, done that, got the T-shirt a few times and it's a pain in the rear....

Hey Meg!!!!

I'm hoping to get a live report next week! I'm available to fit in your suitcase!!! Double birthday blast!

Chery

Many banks cover their debit cards with the same protections they give their credit cards.

Exactly. I dont get the hate of debit cards around here and the idea that if your debit card is compromised you are out of luck. IF you bank with a reputable bank and you DEBIT card is compromised, the money is back in your account that same day, the card is closed and temp card is issued on spot. Credit card companies dont even work that fast. At least thats the way MY bank works. Ive had it happen three times over the years.

Edited by ryano

Exactly. I dont get the hate of debit cards around here and the idea that if your debit card is compromised you are out of luck. IF you bank with a reputable bank and you DEBIT card is compromised, the money is back in your account that same day, the card is closed and temp card is issued on spot. Credit card companies dont even work that fast. At least thats the way MY bank works. Ive had it happen three times over the years.

It's not hate, it's the inconvenience of the holds when it's used for your SeaPass as well as the idea of someone having access to your money.

My debit card was compromised & used not too long ago. My bank quickly took care of everything however, the only time I use my debit card now is for ATM withdrawals. It really bothered me that it was MY money they had taken so now I use a credit card for all my purchases. When my credit card was compromised a few years ago, it was inconvenient but it felt a lot less personal.