Regent SSC?

p010ne

Carlson Companies, one of the largest privately held companies in the US with revenues of 8 billion plus per annum, owns RSSC. Yes, the plans were to rename Radisson Seven Seas Cruises to Regent Seven Seas Cruises late last fall but for some reason, the name change was put on hold. I believe it is still their intent to change the name to Regent Seven Seas Cruises but when this will take effect, I don't know.

Their web site is http://www.carlson.com

Regards,

Bill

The rebranding to the more upmarket "Regent" name has been under consideration for some time. I was told last week during our Navigator cruise to Bermuda that it is upcoming... my source either wasn't sure of the date or wasn't at liberty to share it, though. Will just have to wait for the announcement.

I agree that the name does conjur up (mostly negative) images of the late Regency Cruises :(

IMHO, Regent Seven Seas Cruises is a much better name than Radisson Seven Seas Cruises and does not bring to mind the late Regency Cruises. The Radisson name is a detriment to an upscale cruise line and kept us away for a number of years. Radisson hotels are, for the most part, not deluxe hotels and are places that we would rather not stay at. Because of the Radisson name, it took a lot of convincing to get us to try RSSC the first time. We did not expect that it would compare at all to the deluxe ships (such as Seabourn) that we liked. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised! Regent Hotels, however, is an upscale brand that brings to mind gracious living.

IMHO, Regent Seven Seas Cruises is a much better name than Radisson Seven Seas Cruises and does not bring to mind the late Regency Cruises. The Radisson name is a detriment to an upscale cruise line and kept us away for a number of years. Radisson hotels are, for the most part, not deluxe hotels and are places that we would rather not stay at. Because of the Radisson name, it took a lot of convincing... (Partial QUOTE]

"What's in a name ...a rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

WS

Funny, I went through the same thing. One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in was a Radisson Hotel @ JFK airport and after that horrendous experience it took me awhile to be convinced that Radisson Cruises could possibly be upscale. (glad I finally caved in!)

I'm not crazy about the Regent name either. I think they could have changed to something better or just left it alone at Seven Seas.

• 3 months later...

A cruiser on Luxury Cruise Talk is on the Mariner in the far east and RSSC honchos are on board telling of plans for the name change this year. All three ships will undergo upgrades to make them even more luxurious,in line with the Regent brand. If you look back to an interview with the head of Regent Hotels in the far east,the name change is to benefit the hotels more than the cruise line. Regent has been losing hotels and on a downslide until Carlson has decided to rebuild the brand and open new hotels. Having a luxury cruise line with the brand is meant to increase visibility of the Regent name. I agree that Radisson is not the greatest hotel brand around as the company has been unable to standardize the quality. Radisson can range from rather luxurious to a somewhat seedy roadside motel. Radisson has recognized the problem and says they are trying to either upgrade a number of hotels or pull the franchise. One thing I have never figured out is Carlson's lack of crossover promotion among brands. When we first booked a RSSC cruise we were directed from the Radisson web site to Cruises,Inc.,rather than one of their own agencies. I would also think we would be offered deals on Carlson hotel brands pre or post cruise, but this does not happen. I guess they haven't discovered "synergy". One thing for which I am gratefull is they haven't attempted to offer TGI Friday's an an alternate restaurant on the Mariner.

I am sailing on the Voyager on Monday and will try to get an update.

The name of the cruise line does not matter to me as much as the names of their ships. I dislike the fact that more original names cant be found like the ones used by Celebrity. Radisson uses Navigator, Voyager,Diamond......lets see, Princess has a Diamond....Royal caribbean has a Voyager, a Navigator and I believe a Mariner.......

I'd like to see some new names for the ships along with the rebranding. Maybe the Nautilus, or maybe names of great cities around the world.

Well in the mean time...Voyager here I come.

Tom

Frankly, I don't care what they name the line. Never stayed at a Radisson hotel, and never cruised Regency cruise line --- so these associations mean nothing to me.

But it does seem that a refined and classsy-sounding new name was "right under their noses" and they missed it. "Carlson Cruise Lines."

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Douglas Ward's "Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships 2006" refers to Regent Seven Seas Cruises - no mention of Radisson. I saw the book at Border's today.

In just a quick glance at some of the ship reviews I spotted some glaring errors - makes you wonder how credible the book is.

The cover states it's the 21st year of publication. You would think he would have a better handle on the facts by now. How embarrassing.

My dear friend just got off the Mariner after 30+ days and there were RSSC execs on board discussing the change to Regent. The other change they talked about was making the line fully inclusive, like Silversea, rather than partially inclusive as it is now.

Well, as Radisson (or Regent) has now priced itself right up there with the "all inclusive lines" (if not higher), a change to "all inclusive" would be most appropriate -- especially if they wish to retain the business of those of us who cruised them when they were "almost all inclusive" and a great deal less expensive.

Thanks,

Richard

I agree - I'd like it to just be "Seven Seas Cruises", it sounds elegant! But silly as it sounds - I think they've invested too much into the RSSC logo - they have to fill the "R" in. Either way, I've loved Radisson, have sailed them 4 times (with one booked for February), but if they don't go all inclusive, I'm moving on to Silversea etc. For those who DO like the socializing/drinks etc., (that'd be me), I just find other luxury lines are fast becoming "better bang for your buck" than RSSC.

• 2 months later...

Well it is now March 2006 and there is still no change to the new name to Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Has anyone heard when this will take place? I am also wondering with the new name, will there be other changes to improve the brand. I have been reading about the inclusive alcohol coming in 2007. Has anyone heard of other updates?

I received a letter from Radisson outlining some of the proposed changes after the public announcement which is set for the 7th of March. "The Regent Experience" will work to improve the brand over the next eighteen months. Decor will be refined, and there are promises of upgrades to entertainment, dining, enrichment and service. Watch for flat screen TV's, improvements in guest communications and more personalized travel experiences through Concierge programs. A new website will be started on the 8th of March with promises of up-to-date information @ www.TheRegentExperience.com. Should be fun to look for these changes in the months to come! :)

Archived