Help calm my fears? is it just me???

3red7s

Hi GG: This issue was raised a week or so ago on this page, but I don't remember the thread name, nor can I find it, so to recap. All of us on CC agree that we will not curtail our travel plans. First of all, it doesn't matter where you go today, you're no safer at home than you are in Europe, so why not go. Second: There is probably more security in Europe, and here, than 9/11, so you're probably safer going now than any other time...and Third: I won't repeat that over-used phrase, but IMHO, every time an American visits a foreign country (or a foreigner comes here) that person learns something about a different culture...who they are, what they eat, how they live and what they want out of life. Through this learning we realize that while we have many different ways of worship, government and dress we all want the same things: security for ourselves and our families and a better life for our children and to just live our lives in peace and quiet! When you think about it every time you get out of bed in the morning you're putting your life at risk....are you supposed to stay in bed for the rest of your life? Every time we get in a car or on a boat or a plane, we put our lives at risk....should we stay inside our homes for the rest of our lives? If we do that we become more isolated and ignorant. So, if you want to go to Europe or Asia or Africa, GO. Keep an eye on Dept. of State warnings and don't go to areas that are prone to unrest but by all means go on your river cruise, you'll love it. :D

Very well said, Hydrokitty. I agree with your sentiments 100%.

While I'm not the OP, I did raise the question myself once. And I am still somewhat cautious about going but still plan to do so. I do have a friend that is a federal air marshal that I plan to check with before our trip though! That helps ease my concerns somewhat lol. I think if I didn't still have children at home I wouldn't be quite so concerned but I hate the thought of something happening to me on a trip and my family being left behind to deal with the mess. (I am going with my mom and two aunts.)

While I'm not the OP, I did raise the question myself once. And I am still somewhat cautious about going but still plan to do so. I do have a friend that is a federal air marshal that I plan to check with before our trip though! That helps ease my concerns somewhat lol. I think if I didn't still have children at home I wouldn't be quite so concerned but I hate the thought of something happening to me on a trip and my family being left behind to deal with the mess. (I am going with my mom and two aunts.)

marchmom: Having young children at home adds a whole new dimension to this problem...and knowing that a poster had children that still needed her.....I would still believe what I posted, but I would also have serious reservations about going. Most of us who post here are retired and our children are on their own, that's why we can afford to travel:D But your situation is very different and having a professional who's involved in your life to consult is a really good idea.

As I said in the other post, I would still feel much safer in Paris or anywhere else in Europe for that matter than I would in Detroit or New Orleans. It's all a matter of perspective. On this side of the Atlantic we see numerous news items about gun crime in the US, so we might conclude it wasn't a good idea to visit there.

But obviously millions of people do!

:)

Hydrokitty, I have one still at home full time and another in college (another is living on his own now). It is through the generosity of my aunt that I am able to take this trip. I certainly couldn't afford it on my own just yet! Maybe when the youngest gets out of college my dh and I will be able to save $ for a trip on our own. :D

As a person who loves Paris I had a different reaction than most Americans, I wished I was there to walk with the Parisians during the Pro-Free Speech march. I was happy to see so many Americans support the French because we have not been so nice to them in the past few years.

I live in Colorado and with the mass shootings here I must say I feel safer in Europe than in big cities in the US.

I now need to checkout that YouTube video of Fox News. LOL

I'm booked on the Paris-Normandy Viking cruise in October with 33 other friends and thank goodness no one freaked out and changed their minds. I'm super excited about this trip because I've been wanting to visit the D-Day sites.

As I said in the other post, I would still feel much safer in Paris or anywhere else in Europe for that matter than I would in Detroit or New Orleans. It's all a matter of perspective. On this side of the Atlantic we see numerous news items about gun crime in the US, so we might conclude it wasn't a good idea to visit there.

But obviously millions of people do!

:)

I agree 100% with you. I feel very safe in Europe and Paris. We have lots of mass shootings here but you don't here Americans freaking out saying I'm not going to Denver because people shoot people at the movie theaters and in schools.

I live in Colorado and with the mass shootings here I must say I feel safer in Europe than in big cities in the US.
There's a good reason for that. We're all a lot safer when we travel to Europe than when we stay in the US.

Violent crime rates in any European nation are a small fraction of what we experience in the US. We Americans are a violent bunch.

ISIS/ISIL have said they will spread their terrorism towards Italy (Rome). After they beheaded 21 Coptic Christians yesterday.

But now there is very tight security for boarding an ocean ship. So this will never happen again:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Klinghoffer

This doesn't worry me. Does it worry you? And keep you from cruising?

Safe travels.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

ISIS/ISIL have said they will spread their terrorism towards Italy (Rome). After they beheaded 21 Coptic Christians yesterday.

But now there is very tight security for boarding an ocean ship. So this will never happen again:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Klinghoffer

This doesn't worry me. Does it worry you? And keep you from cruising?

Safe travels.

Correction: I meant radical Jihadist committing terrorist acts from Northern Europe to Western Europe and all the way down to Egypt and Turkey. Mass shootings, suicide bombs, poison gas, and kidnappings are things to worry about once stepping off the ship. Targets like popular tourist attractions, or trains, buses, metro, etc.

Safe travels.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Correction: I meant radical Jihadist committing terrorist acts from Northern Europe to Western Europe and all the way down to Egypt and Turkey. Mass shootings, suicide bombs, poison gas, and kidnappings are things to worry about once stepping off the ship. Targets like popular tourist attractions, or trains, buses, metro, etc.

Safe travels.

Right. Because we're all a lot more likely to be beheaded in Nuremburg than to be mugged in Chicago. :mad:

Quit posting this fearmongering. It's nonsensical. Of all the things to be worried about, attack by religious fanatics while on a European vacation is way down the list.

Right. Because we're all a lot more likely to be beheaded in Nuremburg than to be mugged in Chicago. :mad:

Quit posting this fearmongering. It's nonsensical. Of all the things to be worried about, attack by religious fanatics while on a European vacation is way down the list.

+1 (where's the "Like" button?) :cool:

Safe travels.

Some of us have to worry about these things just going to work everyday. Why stop traveling?

Okay so as a youngster our club was invited to Moscow, we worked at a high security establishment, now way. My husband traveled to to Ireland all during the troubles on business, did I worry, just a bit. My Guide unit was in a very sensitive area at this time we felt safer there. We had a holiday in South Africa when Mandela had just been made President, wonderful time. Just go for it crazies are everywhere just be aware and keep calm enjoy your holiday, it's yours not there's.

Any one from the USA you are not the only ones who have guns, just for interest my other half is a top shotgun exponent.

What a wonderful world we live in have a fantastic cruise and leave your worries behind, just be aware.

CA