Help calm my fears? is it just me???

3red7s

Hey there, river cruises,

Hubby and I are doing our 1st Viking cruise...originally we planned on Paris to Normandy, then due to the chaos, transferred our payment to Budapest to Nuremberg, Germany. I have seen NOTHING on this board re: fear of traveling into Europe with all the unrest. Is it just us, being European virgin travelers??? does anyone out there have concerns???? Please don't tell me that "if we stop traveling, they win" that does not calm my nerves......

Hi GG: This issue was raised a week or so ago on this page, but I don't remember the thread name, nor can I find it, so to recap. All of us on CC agree that we will not curtail our travel plans. First of all, it doesn't matter where you go today, you're no safer at home than you are in Europe, so why not go. Second: There is probably more security in Europe, and here, than 9/11, so you're probably safer going now than any other time...and Third: I won't repeat that over-used phrase, but IMHO, every time an American visits a foreign country (or a foreigner comes here) that person learns something about a different culture...who they are, what they eat, how they live and what they want out of life. Through this learning we realize that while we have many different ways of worship, government and dress we all want the same things: security for ourselves and our families and a better life for our children and to just live our lives in peace and quiet! When you think about it every time you get out of bed in the morning you're putting your life at risk....are you supposed to stay in bed for the rest of your life? Every time we get in a car or on a boat or a plane, we put our lives at risk....should we stay inside our homes for the rest of our lives? If we do that we become more isolated and ignorant. So, if you want to go to Europe or Asia or Africa, GO. Keep an eye on Dept. of State warnings and don't go to areas that are prone to unrest but by all means go on your river cruise, you'll love it. :D

Hi GG: This issue was raised a week or so ago on this page, but I don't remember the thread name, nor can I find it, so to recap. All of us on CC agree that we will not curtail our travel plans. First of all, it doesn't matter where you go today, you're no safer at home than you are in Europe, so why not go. Second: There is probably more security in Europe, and here, than 9/11, so you're probably safer going now than any other time...and Third: I won't repeat that over-used phrase, but IMHO, every time an American visits a foreign country (or a foreigner comes here) that person learns something about a different culture...who they are, what they eat, how they live and what they want out of life. Through this learning we realize that while we have many different ways of worship, government and dress we all want the same things: security for ourselves and our families and a better life for our children and to just live our lives in peace and quiet! When you think about it every time you get out of bed in the morning you're putting your life at risk....are you supposed to stay in bed for the rest of your life? Every time we get in a car or on a boat or a plane, we put our lives at risk....should we stay inside our homes for the rest of our lives? If we do that we become more isolated and ignorant. So, if you want to go to Europe or Asia or Africa, GO. Keep an eye on Dept. of State warnings and don't go to areas that are prone to unrest but by all means go on your river cruise, you'll love it. :D

Here's the recent thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2148204

We lived in and traveled throughout Europe in the 80s and 90s in countries that had terrorist threats (those of us old enough will remember Italy's Red Brigades, Germany's Beider Meinhof Gang/Red Army Faction, the IRA, Greece's 17th November, etc.). IMHO if you cancel because of terrorists threats, they've already won (I know you said not tell you that but it is the truth!). We're scheduled for 3 weeks in Europe next summer and we wouldn't even consider canceling for that.

I do recommend consulting the State Department's alerts and warnings (http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...swarnings.html) for the places you plan to visit:

• Travel Warnings

We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks. We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all. Travel Warnings remain in place until the situation changes; some have been in effect for years.

• Travel Alerts

We issue a Travel Alert for short-term events we think you should know about when planning travel to a country. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Alert might include an election season that is bound to have many strikes, demonstrations, or disturbances; a health alert like an outbreak of H1N1; or evidence of an elevated risk of terrorist attacks. When these short-term events are over, we cancel the Travel Alert.

You can also enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) which gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.

Edited by capriccio

In a weird way, it's reassuring to see how France is responding to the threat and realizing it is probably safer now, with everyone on higher alert than before something happens.

In 2005, we were in London... about a month before the subway bombing. It actually took place at the subway we used across from our hotel. After it happened, people would ask if we were sorry we went. Why would we be? Nothing happened while we were there, yes something could have, but if we worried about everything that possibly could happen... I could think of lots of things... then the thing that happens is something that would have never occurred to me.

Although I've never sailed with Viking, I've seen their passengers in ports and at the airports when I've been impressed with their level of service, walking with their passengers into the airport to the check in lines, etc. River cruising is a very easy way (for you, the passenger) to see and experience a beautiful part of the world in relative ease and no worries.

You will enjoy your itinerary from Budapest to Nuremburg. This is roughly what we did last time on Uniworld. When in Budapest, if you have an opportunity, try to see the Parliament building. It's not normally on the regular included tours, but if you have an option, I highly recommend it. Also, the market is amazing.

Did you watch Fox News infamous fear mongering 'expert' on Paris? If you did, I am not surprised you are apprehensive. He was lying through his teeth and Fox News apparently apologized several times. I don't watch them, saw the 'expert' only on a you tube link.

A HUGE thanks to all of you..your words of wisdom & encouragement. I shall attempt to let go of those fears & press forward. Hubby & I handle large trucking claims & look at crumpled metal all day from horrific accidents, yet I do not fear the highways.....I truly am looking forward to our cruise & have already set up our STEP accounts. Thank you for the info re: Budapest's market & Parliment bldg. We are going in 2 days early so we shall put it on the agenda.

CC people rock!!

A HUGE thanks to all of you..your words of wisdom & encouragement. I shall attempt to let go of those fears & press forward. Hubby & I handle large trucking claims & look at crumpled metal all day from horrific accidents' date=' yet I do not fear the highways.....I truly am looking forward to our cruise & have already set up our STEP accounts. Thank you for the info re: Budapest's market & Parliment bldg. We are going in 2 days early so we shall put it on the agenda.

CC people rock!![/quote']

glad to hear it!!! Only thing is: if you want to tour the Parliament Building in Budapest (and it is so worth it) you need to buy your tickets on line and in advance. They will ask for your passport info. and the web site wasn't that hard to use, although it could get a little freaky. They do the tours in English at least twice a day and will add more as needed. Tour lasts about an hour and is very interesting. Even if you can't tour the inside, go to the outside...the views and the grounds are spectacular. Budapest is one of my favorite world cities and I've been there several times.....there is no way you'll be able to see it all in 2 days....it's like NYC or Washington DC....you could spend a month and still not see it all! You just have to go back again and again!

How far in advance do they sell those Parliament tours, do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I recall it was about 90 days. If you go to the ports section of this page, keep scrolling and you'll come to the page where it lists all the information. I know some of it was mine and it shouldn't be hard to spot.

One of the best places to take excellent pictures of the Parliament Bldg is from the Buda side of the Danube.

Very close to Matthias Church and the Fishermen's Bastion is an excellent viewpoint (look for an old stone promenade with arches to the south of the church) of the Danube and the Parliament Bldg.

Behind the Church are excellent little stores that sell some artisan crafts and art.

Budapest is also one of my favorite places. Love the inclination of the escalators in the metro!!

sorry....meant to post this as well.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/budapest/729079#sthash.7cOJiBUm.dpbs

now look to the left column and see "walk 1" "walk 2", etc. These are DIY walks. Click on "maps" and see the maps that match each of the 5 walks. We love these as we can spend as little or as much time as we want at some of the places.

Have fun!!!

Did you watch Fox News infamous fear mongering 'expert' on Paris? If you did, I am not surprised you are apprehensive. He was lying through his teeth and Fox News apparently apologized several times. I don't watch them, saw the 'expert' only on a you tube link.

I heard about this, but didn't see it (don't watch Fox News except perhaps to shake my head in disbelief.) Will have to look it up on youtube.

We will be spending time in Paris this October and have no fears. We have been advised by expert friends to avoid certain far-flung suburbs, but that's true in other places as well.

I have been in London multiple times during the IRA troubles when there were bombs and bomb threats. Never really impacted us. And were in Bangkok last year during their protests, which at times became violent. Also didn't even get near any of the troubled spots.

And, we're going to Egypt in October, after Paris. So obviously we have become risk-takers in our old age.

I heard about this, but didn't see it (don't watch Fox News except perhaps to shake my head in disbelief.) Will have to look it up on youtube.

We will be spending time in Paris this October and have no fears. We have been advised by expert friends to avoid certain far-flung suburbs, but that's true in other places as well.

I have been in London multiple times during the IRA troubles when there were bombs and bomb threats. Never really impacted us. And were in Bangkok last year during their protests, which at times became violent. Also didn't even get near any of the troubled spots.

And, we're going to Egypt in October, after Paris. So obviously we have become risk-takers in our old age.

We lived in London during some of the IRA troubles and were actually evacuated from one of the tubes because of a bomb threat. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Keep Calm and carry on".

We lived in London during some of the IRA troubles and were actually evacuated from one of the tubes because of a bomb threat. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Keep Calm and carry on".

I prefer the "Carry on" movie series... ;)

The Mayor of Paris has said that she will sue Fox News for their statements, interesting if it works. Also thank you to all Americans for continuing to visit the UK during the IRA troubles on our travels we met several Americans who refused to come closer than Paris. So take the usual precautions and have a fantastic cruise.

CA

The Mayor of Paris has said that she will sue Fox News for their statements, interesting if it works. Also thank you to all Americans for continuing to visit the UK during the IRA troubles on our travels we met several Americans who refused to come closer than Paris. So take the usual precautions and have a fantastic cruise.

CA

Interesting....I wonder if Fox defense would be "Freedom of Speech"...:D

Some things never change--- our family was run out of McDonalds in Dublin for a bomb scare when we visited while we lived in Germany in the late 70's! DIDN"T stop us from returning to finish our Big Mac. After spending a year in 1968 running thru the rice paddies in Vietnam, it all seems quite relative. I think my experience on the LA freeways was more hair-raising.

Some things never change--- our family was run out of McDonalds in Dublin for a bomb scare when we visited while we lived in Germany in the late 70's! DIDN"T stop us from returning to finish our Big Mac. After spending a year in 1968 running thru the rice paddies in Vietnam, it all seems quite relative. I think my experience on the LA freeways was more hair-raising.

LOL....when we were evacuated from the London tube, everyone went back down as soon as it was cleared!! DH was Army Corps Engineers in the 60's that's why we won't visit Viet Nam.Too many memories, none of them good. I remember driving in LA once....I live in NYC and I thought I'd have a stroke! OF course, that was before we went to Istanbul and Cairo!

Edited by Hydrokitty

You're being too worrisome, OP. Like the song from Frozen, "Let it Go". :D

We went to London just a few days after the bombings in 2005 with our two sons. We were vigilant and prepared to make detours if necessary but didn't let it ruin a fantastic vacation.

Traveling is learning how others live and in other parts of the world, they live with the threat of violence on a daily basis. Be prepared to be observant and flexible. We had a plan that if someone got on the Tube when we were on it with a backpack (that's what the numerous bombers were using at the time) that looked nervous or made us unusually uncomfortable, we would give the signal to get off the train - no matter what stop it was at. No big drama, no big scene, we'd just simply get off ASAP. We would then re-route ourselves to get to where we wanted to go.

We ended up not having to do that but we did get moved very, very quickly when police discovered a black backpack laying in the middle of a large crowd at Buck. House. You roll with it - and life goes on. ;)

Interesting....I wonder if Fox defense would be "Freedom of Speech"...:D

Lies--libel, slander and defamation-- aren't covered under "freedom of speech" and Fox can be sued, just like any of the supermarket rags are when they stretch the "truth" a little bit too far. GO! Mrs.Mayor! Take them to the cleaners!

You're being too worrisome, OP. Like the song from Frozen, "Let it Go". :D

We went to London just a few days after the bombings in 2005 with our two sons. We were vigilant and prepared to make detours if necessary but didn't let it ruin a fantastic vacation.

Traveling is learning how others live and in other parts of the world, they live with the threat of violence on a daily basis. Be prepared to be observant and flexible. We had a plan that if someone got on the Tube when we were on it with a backpack (that's what the numerous bombers were using at the time) that looked nervous or made us unusually uncomfortable, we would give the signal to get off the train - no matter what stop it was at. No big drama, no big scene, we'd just simply get off ASAP. We would then re-route ourselves to get to where we wanted to go.

We ended up not having to do that but we did get moved very, very quickly when police discovered a black backpack laying in the middle of a large crowd at Buck. House. You roll with it - and life goes on. ;)

Look at it this way. When it's time for you to die, it's time. Why worry?

Enjoy your trip.

i was just wondering if the OP felt as strong today, one week later, as when they first posted...?? :confused:

It is amazing sometimes how the passage of time, distance and the gradual withdrawal of an event from the media's attention, has a calming effect over us all.

This is in no way diminishes the severity of the event, but given some space to think and breath, opinions may change.