Spirit LA - LA via Auckland

Emtbsam

Thanks Wes for the Oz wine list. The Reds are lovely and from the Barossa Valley in South Australia which is where we have a "hobby" vineyard. St Henri is probably one of our favourites.

I must say, to only have one white wine is a little sad. We grow lovely crisp whites here and a large variety, but I know Americans do like Chardonnay.

Joc123, Spinnaker2/Candy & Larry; you're very welcome. Joc--we plan to try the Penfolds Bin 389 during the next segment Fiji to L.A. Candy; the snorkeling excursion was the best ever for Donna, Alan and Ida. Ida just learned to swim two years ago from a very good Army friend who lives within a block of us in metro Atlanta. She was terrified during her last snorkel in Sharm el Sheik Egypt 18 months ago but slowly in April 2012, she enjoyed the wonder of the underwater world. Today she was the first snorkeler in the water--her water (fresh or saltwater) confidence is now sky high.

Please enjoy a few pix of the central park in Noumea, and some shots of last night's deck BBQ.

This is Noumea's place de cocotiers (Noumea's central city park):

09a4f399261b8914bbe3109a273f6d46_zps75146d47.jpg

ef43c60bd4d051952d07590d1f5e9375_zps195d4270.jpg

Snapped a shot of Noumea's police (responsible for security of the shopping district which also includes patrolling the park):

7e739ad06f049abeb36791a082868c4f_zps4c57e503.jpg

A pix of Noumean ladies in their traditional dress:

ce5577ef8f7147eb80a9c1a4900e9a5f_zps75a66f04.jpg

Arnold just disembarked from his daily hour long ferry ride from Noumea to the Vale Nichol mine (Brazilian owned) along with over

250 other Noumeans dressed in their mine grey uniform. Arnold works for Omega (a subcontractor), hence is yellow/blue shirt. He told me Noumeans covet working in the mine (good pay, working conditions, opportunity for promotio). Arnold plans to work in the Vale Mine for the next 25 years.

14a5665f49746106e52397737138cfbd_zps59ffa144.jpg

Edited by WesW

Please enjoy some pictures taken during last night's Deck BBQ:

0db592fec86fa58bbc1ed8c7ca97ea0d_zps76dc79cd.jpg

Samir (head chef at La Terraza)

c2ebd8d201158e8fe6d6c0d5ed05b842_zpsc6cb74cb.jpg

The spirit's pastry chef proudly standing by his delish creation:

2d26476eea285a79d56580f40b37aeb5_zpsae9de51a.jpg

Ida standing with the Exec. Chef Jeroume

8d06eff0222a03c6f0a9612ba100d2cc_zpse4968b4d.jpg

Ida looks great in pink!

So happy she learned to swim. An important event. My Mom never did learn. She spent her youth in a TB hospital waiting to die, literally. When she recovered, a small and large miracle, her entire youth form age 11 to 18 was gone.

Although we tried to get her swimming lessons, and she dutifully went, she never lost her fear of the water.

So you go girl Ida!

Thanks so much for sharing and taking us along. Glad to see everyone enjoying themselves.

I assume Don Fluke is your CD? If you have a chance, would you be able to find out when he disembarks and who will be taking his place? Just curious who the CD will be in late May/early June. Same with HD and MDR maitre'd....

Oh...someone asked about Frederick...I believe his wife had a baby and he is enjoying a much deserved and happy vacation.

Herman, you are right.

Frederick and his wife, Ann, had a baby girl, I believe her name is Bella. We were fortunate to see the photos of her and she is adorable.

Ann as you may recall, is a statuesque beauty who worked on the Spirit as well.

Wes, are you able to find out who is going to be the HD and CD on the upcoming cruise on the spirit that follows yours?

Hi Spinnaker2/Candy & Larry; Herman...Ida says thanks so much for the swimming encouraging words. Herman, you're very welcome. Yes, Don is our CD and Flavio Gioia is the HD. Damien is Restaurant M'd, Donato, is La Terraza M'd. Still have to get you the answer on who follows them..due out.

Please enjoy some pix taken today as we explored/snorkeled on the beautiful Island of Lifou (World's largest Atoll). First up is a pix of Captain Zanello, his wife Tonya and their very cute daughter Mila--going on our tender to explore Lifou as well:

2f88627506ef3a58df698d9e55ad0809_zps49fef241.jpg

Emtsbam/Victoria and Bob, Ida, Lorraine, and Dennis (Victoria/Bob just finished

ther Island walk, Ida, Lorraine, and Dennis are off to Jinek Bay for some world class

snorkeling:

c57e8895c0426d60fd950e51014da94a_zps68f766e0.jpg

Dennis is paying the Lifou folks for Lorraine and his snorkel trip:

97b68eb385c6cd61eff7e18408386850_zps210cc525.jpg

Ida has paid Jeff and is now dancing with Jeff and Jean Paul to recorded/hip Island tunes:

e03c7d449268b924d14f118fd1aaf0e2_zpsc8937e7f.jpg

Ida gives Jinek bay two thumbs up, way up for snorkeling:

58a4ac25a0ea046f680177ba1e43252c_zps4f1f3d03.jpg

Pls enjoy some additional Lifou Island snorkeling and Island exploring pix:

Post snorkel high shot of Ida, Lorraine and Dennis (note their broad snorkel smiles)

1be235d0ec3e0a2a36d4b0aed3c74371_zpsd0be35a6.jpg

Capt Zanello, Mila and Silversea guest coming down from hike up to the Lifou Church:

5723a51a48bcc60fd3bd4ba12ab08013_zps7b91cef8.jpg

The Silver spirit:

bbf56779559dc2ef4d02fa93d7881fd6_zps7552b862.jpg

After a wonderful morning of snorkeling (Ida) and Island running (pix to follow), we met cruise critic friends George and Helen for lunch in Seishin. George in Helen are what everyone calls affectionately La La's (on board for entire 64 day voyage). They said their lunch was best yet on the Spirit.

b664ced095272c729ad0278307e1c274_zps7f3ebdab.jpg

Edited by WesW

Herman/Spinnaker2; The current cruise director, Don Fluke will be replaced by Miles Moss on March 2. Flavio Gioia is the Hotel Director and will stay on board until May. The outstanding restaurant Maitre'D is Damien and he will also remain on board.

On my afternoon on board Friday, was surprised to run into a clan of Butlers gathered aft of Deck 8. They were assembling to present apicture birthday card to their supervisor:

b16c0851542844e375fe3d87ae3c8eeb_zps7ee6c48a.jpg

Friday night's entertainment was well done by the Artists of Silversea, "Let the Sun Shine In--medly of 60's hits)

494750e0ee3ff02a0ed58d0e07af8867_zpsa495a76f.jpg

We began our day taking a six hour Vanuatu excursion with new cruise friends George and Helen. We visited a cultural village, then the Blue Lagoon, a Turtle sanctuary and visited the WWI, WWII Vanuatu monument dedicated to the Vanuatu citizens who paid the ultimate sacrifice. We then returned to the ship by 3:30, relaxed and prepared for our second of five formal nites. Please enjoy just a few of the dozen pix we will share (off to a.m. workout and then breakfast with Ida). Today we have a needed sea day--Vanuatu was the most humid place on earth we have visited.

56df498aaafcb36fa5ed2a03bb154e7e_zpsc7808dfa.jpg

c448527e04710a1929b7bc816fb115ab_zps6ab1e3aa.jpg

Edited by WesW

In the butler photo I recognize some familiar faces, including Vipin, who is that very tall guy way in the back.

Delightful and soft spoken young man.

Can Vanuatu be more humid that south Florida in the summer?

If so that's pretty draining.

Always wanted to go there.

Thank you WesW for your entertaining and upbeat reports! It is so refreshing to read about people who are enjoying the cruise and the cruise line! So much negativity lately on the SS forums. I really appreciate reading something positive! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Wes - What is the date Moss Hills will be getting on board? I believe he is the person who as an entertainer on board the sinking passenger ship Oceanos, organized the rescue of all the passengers after the crew had abandoned ship. I hope we have the opportunity to meet him.

In the butler photo I recognize some familiar faces, including Vipin, who is that very tall guy way in the back.

Delightful and soft spoken young man.

Can Vanuatu be more humid that south Florida in the summer?

If so that's pretty draining.

Always wanted to go there.

Tall guy looks like our butler Madhu to me.

Rachel, Thank you--we have fun taking the pictures. We break bread tonight with George & Helen, English USA, and new cruise friends Lorraine and Dennis--will pass your warm regards along.

Spinnaker2; after our six hour excursion I immediately left for a 4.5 mile run in order

to be back at 4:30pm for all aboard. Let's just say I made it back @ 4:30pm and it felt like I had just jumped out of the South Pacific ocean.

Yes, Herman my bad, Moss Hills will replace Don Fluke.

Victoria, Moss becomes Spirit CD on Mar 27th--alas when we disembark.

After our 6+ hour trek through Vanuatu's local villages and parks we cleaned up a tad for our second of five formal nites on board Silversea's Silver Spirit. Having a glitch with photo bucket--seems when

a paste the IMG code an add shows up, pls see this direct link for the pix. Guess photo bucket has changed their IMG shairing (no fee) procedures. Will try to figure out how to post pix directly in next day or two..thanks for your patience.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/colonelwes/1741ddc95cd75685c5e8f5510005aed1_zpsb8a4207c.jpg

We both enjoyed a wonderful meal in the main restaurant (filet Mignon, prime rib--paired with Ridge Zinfandel). We almost fell asleep in our the ship's hand made pistachio gelato so we headed back to our suite.

This morning we had a fun Ready Steady Cook competition between Chef de Cuisine Michael and Italian Chef Samir--it was a draw.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/colonelwes/a9f47239f85e1e62ddd0828a213eadaa_zps477954a5.jpg

Look forward to heading to the galley of La Terraza about 5:15pm and interview some of Samir's cooks for the next Silversea Spirit Crewmember profile (SSCP)

Edited by WesW

Mysty, thanks so much for your kinf words--Ida and are half full folks..well really 90% full (in terms of the water glass of life) we believe in praising in public and criticizing in private. Will only share negative words about our cruise hardware or software if I feel the issue is truly significant.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Wes - What is the date Moss Hills will be getting on board? I believe he is the person who as an entertainer on board the sinking passenger ship Oceanos, organized the rescue of all the passengers after the crew had abandoned ship. I hope we have the opportunity to meet him.

Yes, that's him...he has been with Silversea for maybe 2 years or so? We haven't cruised with him yet but I've heard terrific things about him.

Oddly enough, I was watching the weather channel the other evening and there was a show on called "Against the Elements". It happened to focus on the Oceanos disaster and he and another person were interviewed and prominantly featured. I'm sure it will re-run frequently.

Here is the photo from last night's formal nite we tried to share last night:

1741ddc95cd75685c5e8f5510005aed1_zpsb8a4207c.jpg

And as we entered our suite last night, we found this surprise from Lorenzo and Michael (Butler and room steward):

58e0a73a9a9927d4c58ad08b289339e5_zps879f763c.jpg

Pix from the Ready-Steady-Cook competition today between Samir (Head Chef in La Terraza--left side of stage) and Chef de Cuisine (Michael, chef on right side of stage)

a9f47239f85e1e62ddd0828a213eadaa_zps477954a5.jpg

We had another home run dinner in The Restaurant with cruise friends tonight. We were saying good bye to one couple (Lorraine and Dennis) who are disembarking in Fiji tomorrow. LtoR seated (Ida, Wes, Helen, George) LtoR standing (Lorraine, David, Dennis) Excellent cuisine, wonderful conversation--we laughed, laughed, and laughed some more.

f5c95eee96a922b4187eddfc5ff6a936_zps9b47db31.jpg

Great pics. Thanks for the info. Re: the CD, do you mean Moss Hills?

Sounds like Paolo will be back on board after Flavio?

Keep enjoying and cheers!

Paolo will be joining Silver Shadow later this month.

Time for another Silversea Silver Spirit Crewmember Profile.

Today, please meet Sankar, a cook in La Terraza, the marvelous Italian restaurant on board the Silver Spirit. Sankar has worked for Silversea for almost two years. He hails from Chennai, India. When asked what Sankar likes best about working for Silversea, he gushes--"we get to travel around the world." He also enjoys meeting different folks from a variety of international cities. When not on board the Silver Spirit, Sanka can be found in Chennai, where he lives with his parents and brother. He keeps in touch with his family via the internet (skype, face time) and numerous and welcome phone calls.

7454d32102d51603ea7e16d44f4174f7_zpsfbbc68a7.jpg

Our sunrise this morning into Lautoka (The Sugar City) Fiji taken from the starboard (right) side of the Silversea Silver Spirit.

6e0d6d694d450bac12bf5c75e422a6c6_zps6232452e.jpg

View taken from the port side (left side of the Spirit)

127f98a893dd2d136826d3e6a859db1b_zpsafd2bf22.jpg

Wes, sorry you won't still be aboard when Moss Hills takes over as CD. We've sailed with him twice, and he's terrific. A wonderful person and CD, and a very talented musician.

Your butler photo shows Evelyn, our excellent lady butler on the recent Panama Canal cruise. Please say hello from us if you happen to run into her on the ship. Thanks.

And our best to English USA. We need more photos of his T-shirts.

Dieter and Debbie

Wes, thanks so much for taking the time to post pictures and notes and profiles. Well done! We are going to fly to Singapore a week from today and there we will join the Wind. You are getting us in the mood for a great cruise!