Spirit LA - LA via Auckland

Emtbsam

Great photo of Donato and his group. Donato was one of our very first friends on SS. He's terrific at his job, and a lovely person.

+1 for fans of Donato, and a special hello to Jessica, the French Canadian, who is working aboard as an intern for her unique Hospitality degree from I think it is McGill... a really neat person and story... and it really is all about the crew... not the hardware.

And thank you Wes for your posts and best to Ida on her 100 days and that guy (in the orange shorts) who is ruining the daytime dress code... that ever important upscale "resort casual" or informally sophisticated and elegant... it's really about the ship mates and friendships.

Cruising Pasmina; We also absolutely adore Donato—he is an exceptional Maitre’D in La Terraza (LT) but also a wonderful mentor to the young servers—we watch him put them at the podium as he over watches to let them get the feel for multitasking (greeting, seating, working with fellow servers during the seating process).

Randyk7, Samir is the head chef in LT and will knock your socks off (he made four of us outstanding Pommodoro soup one evening, and outstanding spaghetti carbonara (last night(—as special orders) One LT guest asked for his special cannoli—he obliged and sated her sweet taste buds.

Bsrkent/Steve & Barb; You’re very welcome, Ida wants to offer her thanks too, but in person on board a future Silversea cruise—we booked yesterday, with Carl, Spirit cruise consultant the furthest out (a placeholder) Caribbean voyage in 2016 knowing we will transfer to a SS voyage in 2017 to snag the on board booking discount when we transfer this Caribbean voyage to the itinerary we want. Will keep u informed what we book.

Spinnaker2/Candy, alas no marrow spoons for Osso bucco (we just grab the marrow and suck the marrow out—kidding--but am tempted to do this as Samir's Osso B is prepared so well). Best regards right back at Larry and you and know y’all will have a terrific Spirit voyage at the end of the month.

Today, fellow cruise critics Emtbsam/Bob & Victoria, Ida and I along with three Spirit guests enjoyed a wonderful/challenging Silversea excursion/hike up to Diamond Head. Please enjoy a few pix:

Some background on the Diamond Head Crater:

f7c4513ca442f0d60253a059e36635de_zps9625f165.jpg

Our very good friends Emtbsam/Bob & Victoria and our new cruise friend Ursula and us at the start point for our hike up to Diamond Head.

6f821fdf90cadfd3a4464606d836f9d0_zps39ac18cc.jpg

The view of the ocean from the top of Diamond Head;

ac44ce9fe28953544519f3663fcce31a_zpsd1aadd21.jpg

Here we are at the top of Diamond Head—all smiles for making it to the top:

529730d7d5e538b6e00fcba0e5cc92a3_zps39c075aa.jpg

Spinnaker2/Mr. Silver; Y'all are very welcome--glad you’re enjoying the Hawaii pictures

Yesterday, during our afternoon in Honolulu—shopping for (ida), jogging for me, pls enjoy some additional pix below. As I returned to the ship (about 5:30pm)at passenger terminal 2 off Channel St in Honolulu, one of the Spirit’s engine technicians approached me. He agreed to do a Silversea crewmember profile--maybe later.

First pix below is taken on Ala Moana drive at the beginning of that famous Honolulu landmark Waikiki:

878a8feaaaa49e93d5079fc091eb9b57_zps058bc705.jpg

These pictures we took in/around Ala Moana Beach Park

79d481889ebb4dadcfd2a463d7d7a51d_zpsdc18ced0.jpg

These fisherman at the entrance to Waikiki harbor near end of Ala Moana Beach Park walking/jogging trail are fishing for Mackerel and (at very end/near rougher sea waters) the fisherman are fishing for Trevally.

80c539cd84b5fc2dcb39068ce13a9ab7_zpsf54b9318.jpg

Last night for entertainment one of the Silversea artists, Vicki performed "Ship Happens." A rip-roaring comedy show that showcased her wonderful comic talents--other members of the Silversea artists/Zach, Matt, and jason also participated in her one woman comedy show. This was one of the most fun evening entertainment shows we have seen during our three weeks on board.

Today we are now tendered in Maui, please enjoy sunrise as we enter the anchoring point:

4f971925c73b19fbab3b7c1875062d0c_zpsc92797c2.jpg

56380fe41aca147b39cf453477898201_zps26934fbf.jpg

EnglishUSA/David’s daily T-shirt for those cruise critics that requested we post. Ida and I enjoyed another outstanding dinner in the Restaurant last night with David.

EnglishUSA and Emtbsam will continue to post here until Los Angeles, as Ida and I say farewell to another wonderful Spirit cruise--made most enjoyable by the outstanding Spirit crew.

1d802d9fd382912b8760b6897381f771_zpsef5475ef.jpg

Wes...sounds like a fun day.

question, is Luis still in la terrazza?

Young waitstaff with boundless energy, a broad grin and eager to people please. I believe he hailed from Ecuador...

we enjoyed speaking with him. I think he is the one I asked for the narrow spoon. They did go searching, but alas, no marrow spoon.Shocking, especially since silversea has fish service.

:-)

Herman, he does not know as of two days ago.. Thanks for safe travel wishes Candy

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Wes,

There seems to be two ID's for you "greenlighted" at the same time. Just mentioning it in case there has been an ID hijack.

Jeff

Wes - thanks again for your excellent reports and pictures. The last few bring back great memories as I proposed to Mrs. K on Waikiki Beach at sunset. Obviously she accepted. Really looking forward to the Spirit and your reports made it seem that much more real.

Jeff, thanks..hostdan changed@my PC connect name months ago--iPad mini reverts to old cc name.

Randy, your very welcome and thank you for sharing a touching romantic touchstone in y'alls love life.

We're now in Dallas awaiting our flight home to ATL.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Wes and Ida,thanks so much for taking the time to pose and post...we all know how much effort it takes to do so.

Now you get to unpack!

And get to know your house again.

Hope all the Spring flowers are in bloom.

Hope to see you on a future cruise.

Wes & Ida - We hope your trip home went smoothly. We miss you already!

The ship is rocking along on the first of 5 sea days before our return to LA. Our last port was Hilo. Everyone to whom we spoke seems to have had a most enjoyable tour there. Bob took the bicycle tour around the rim of the volcano and I took the helicopter tour. Both were extremely well done and quite exciting. It is nice to end that portion of the trip on a high note.

Last evening in the MDR, we capped off the meal with a blue cheese blind taste testing. Lots of fun and it gave everyone the opportunity to compare a Stilton, Danish Blue and Bresse blue to find a favorite.

Today, there is lots on the schedule, but since we lost an hour last night and will lose another tonight, we will probably just use the day to relax and enjoy the superb service that Silversea is offering.

By the way, a number (and I don't know how many) passengers are staying on board until Fort Lauderdale or longer.

Randyk47, Spinnaker2, Herman; our pleasure to share pix/words--y'all are very welcome. Candy, spring has sprung (Dogwoods beginning to bloom, Bradford Pears in brilliant white as leaves r sprouting) here in metro Atlanta--rainy tho and thus the pollen is not as prevalent as usual this time of year. We did book a December 2016 Caribbean cruise just as a placeholder (to transfer) to a 2017 itinerary. Will keep you posted when we book 2017.

Herman; Carl came by our table (final lunch :( on board the Spirit) Friday to say goodbye--he was hosting a herd of Maui Travel Agents for lunch in the Restaurant. Carl did mention a new cruise consultant (no name given) will follow him as the Spirit on board cruise consultant in early May. Forgot to answer your run steps ? on our Diamond head hike. Ran from start point to top in 16 min (incl 74 stairs) Emtbsam (Bob) ran up the stairs twice--fun Silversea active excursion (seven of us incl Daniel from the outstanding Destinations team). The Destinations team on board the Spirit led by Clive; Sofia, Maria, Daniel provided exceptional destinations service for our time on board.

Emtbsam/Victoria & Bob; Yes, we had nice flights/smooth trip home. We also miss y'all. Glad to hear the blue cheese blind tasting was delicious/fun--we would have loved to enjoy it. Wishing you Fair Winds & Following (not too rocky) seas as you complete the Pacific Ocean cross to LA.

Edited by WesW

For the first time that I can remember, today's Chronicles featured a group photo of the Silver Spirit laundry team. Usually the Chronicles has some generic photo on sea days. I think highlighting the crew in this manner may be a result of the fine work that Wes has done posting interviews and photos on cruisecritic.com.

Well done Wes!

Victoria, that's great news about the feature picture in the chronicles. It absolutely is a great compliment to Wes and his efforts, and is a morale builder for the crew, who also richly deserve it. Lastly, it shows that perhaps, someone at Silversea is reading cruise critic.

Hope you are relaxing at sea. Best to Bob

:)) happy, happy for the fabulous Spirit Laundry Team--these guys are all from Indonesia. So glad they are getting attention in the daily Chronicles so guests on board can understand there are crew below deck 4 (e.g., Provision team, Engine Department, et.al.,) that contribute significantly to their outstanding cruise. Can tell you they do fabulous work--with Ida and I sending a full laundry bag or two to them each morning for almost three weeks.

Thanks so very much for sharing Emtbsam/Victoria and Bob..and thanks also Spinnaker2/Candy & Larry for your kind words.

And special thanks to the Silver Spirit leadership team & Silversea home office for profiling crew members that are vital to making a Silversea cruise enjoyable but rarely get told thank you from the guests. Bravo Silversea!

Today a different lunch. "Lunch around the World/Lunch around the ship."

7 different venues serving different fares.

Panorama Veranda-US, burgers ,hot dogs, steak sandwiches.

Pool Bar- MiddleEast Assorted Mezzeh, BBQ with Kofta, Kebab.

La Terrazza- Mediterranean buffet.

Stars Supper Club- Cheese Buffet.

Main Restaurant- International Dessert Buffet.

Reception Lobby- Soup and Gaszpacho station.

Seishin- Asian Sushi, Sashimi and Spring Rolls.

Wes: Another crew pic on front of "Chronicles"-Galley Team.