Spirit LA - LA via Auckland

Emtbsam

My wife and I cruised from LA to Auckland and had a very enjoyable holiday. It is interesting to read the Auckland- Melbourne posts.

I think Silver Spirit was pretty well full on this sector and wonder how (if) it changed things on board. We rather liked having the ship not much more than half full so there was never a problem in obtaining dining reservations (or bagging a sunbed).

I have posted a review and, as usual, forgot to mention some things. I will blame it on jetlag!

David, Ida and I echo Rachel's warm comment--your everlasting love for your mom endures daily--bravo. Thanks for the Kiri Bili Bili update--hopefully they will be delivered/stocked in a.m so we can have a bottle or two at lunch tomorrow :).

Wanted to start contributing to this thread now that we are in Sydney (thanks Korean Air for making 25 hrs in the air comfortable as could be). Please see a pix of Ida and I enjoying a champagne cocktail

in Korean Air's A380 celestial bar at 34000 feet.

sy5_zps9fmclxey.jpg

Please see a few pix today of Ida and I in Sydney below. We so look forward to boarding the Spirit tomorrow about noon and also look forward to seeing EnglishUSA/David for lunch and also seeing Emtsbam/Bob & Victoria, Donna and Alan.

Ida and I this afternoon @ the iconic Sydney Opera House:

sy2_zpsegqadvz8.jpg

One of world's (Sydney's) most famous harbor bridges in the background:

sy3_zpskva8nuum.jpg

We took the hop on hop off bus for a tour of Sydney. Ida being a Master Gardener just had to see the Sydney Royal Botanic Garden (first pix below). She became Garden intoxicated--see her hugging the broad leafed paperbark tree below (second pix below):

sy4_zps5z1luxql.jpg

sy1_zpstsvhlvi3.jpg

Edited by WesW

Have a wonderful time Wes and Ida!

Looks like you have already started to enjoy.

Please give our regards to the Spirit and Victoria and Bob as well.

Good to know the wine cellar has been restocked in anticipation of your arrival, now you all will have some wine to consume.

Please leave us some...only about a month til we board.

Ging - We're looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for lunch with Wes and Ida. Now we have to get ready to climb the bridge!

Victoria, u will love it...the bridge climb is going to be spectacular...can't wait to see u and Bob, Wes and Ida tomorrow:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Enjoyable first day on board the Silver Spirit. Turnkey embarkation--less than 15 min from moment we stepped out of our car until we were in our suite (our suite was ready). Jet leg attacked me at 3-6pm, Ida enjoyed Yoga with Donna the fitness instructor at 5 p.m.

Dinner last night was in La Terraza (Italian venue). Samir is the La Terraza chef who we know from past cruises. He came by our table (pls see pix below of Ida and I toasting with some very nice Italian (Brunello di Montalcino) wine) to talk. He got married two months ago and is now a newly wed. He will make us his special Spaghetti Carbonara for our next visit to La Terraza.

27-2_zpsvarls6ws.jpg

We were heading to the Bar for a nite cap and met Bob & Victoria there. They just returned from their nighttime climb up/down the harbor bridge. Pls see photos below. First pix is Emtsbam/Bob and Victoria in their blue Harbor Bridge caps beaming with a vodka martini toasting their achievement. They relished their first drink in 24 hours since the Harbor Bridge folks give you a breathalyzer prior to climbing. The next pix shows their Harbor Bridge group raising their hands on top of the bridge (Victoria and Bob are the 3rd/4th folks from LtoR)

27_zpsm5augoel.jpg

27-3_zps1mczifdp.jpg

Today we meet Ging466/Jennifer (who resides in Sydney) for lunch at 12:30. Bob & Victoria, Ida and I look forward to enjoying lunch with Jennifer. Ida and I have a mandatory face-to-face meeting with Australian immigration at 4pm then our life boat drill is at 5:45pm. Bob & Victoria are taking the shuttle in town this morning. Ida and I are getting ready for our early morning workouts--hope to run off the ship before breakfast.

Rachel, you so right on the Spirit's internet--slowest I've experienced in 60+ days on board--took me 40 min to construct this post with pix even at 5:20 am..ugh.

Edited by WesW

Those of us booked on the whole 64 day cruise experienced a fantastic evening. First a catamaran came alongside the "Spirit" and we transferred directly from the ship. Then a tour of Sydney Harbour ending up at the Opera House.IMG_0284_zpsz3igsuvf.jpg

At an outdoor restaurant at the Opera House we were treated to drinks, meal and entertainment by an aboriginal dance troupe complete with DidgeryDoo!IMG_0289_zpspalgc4db.jpg

IMG_0291_zpspfqh18ww.jpg

IMG_0293_zpsmryujj49.jpg

Then an evening at the Opera, a performance of " Madama Butterfly". A great production. Coach ride back to the ship to a welcoming group of butlers etc at 11:30 PM.

Edited by englishusa

Bob, Victoria, Ida, Jennifer (our special guest for lunch on board the Silver Spirit and a Sydney resident) and I toasting good friends. We so enjoyed our lunch in The Restaurant with special visitor Jennifer. We all regaled each other with

our Silversea cruise stories. Lovely cuisine, intuitive service, warm friends--life doesn't get any better. Now time to go to our mandatory immigration meeting (face-to-face) with the Australian immigration folks. Earlier today, got to meet Donna who introduced herself at breakfast--very nice to meet a long time digital cruise freind.

28-1_zps7mbo7uyw.jpg