Silhouette Review - Jan 18 - 25, 2015

Host Anne

We have sailed on two S class ships this month - Equinox (January 2 - 12) and Silhouette (January 25 - February 1). We noticed cuts on both ships, but we still

found both cruises to be a good value.

Regarding the free shuttle from the airport car rental building to the ship: I would not do it again for a weekend sailing when there are 9 - 10 ships in port. Instead of a short taxi ride (approximately 15 minutes - $15.00), we spent over an hour on the shuttle bus standing, while stopping at 6 other piers before arriving at the Silhouette.

Regarding the food: the food is not as good as last January (2014). On the Equinox, a few weeks ago, we didn't have the usual lobster tails with drawn butter. Instead we were served

a seafood melange, which consisted of a small lobster tail, a scallop and a few shrimp in an unappealing brown sauce. However, on the Silhouette, we were served 2 nice sized lobster tails with drawn butter. The beef Wellington and lamb chops were also very good on the Silhouette. The prime rib on the Equinox was tough and inedible while the prime rib on the Silhouette was very tasty. The Top Chef food selections on both ships weren't good.

Both ships no longer give chocolate on your pillow, except for the 1st formal night. Regarding the orange juice, we are Elite and had breakfast in the Elite Lounge (Tuscan Grill) on most days. The orange juice was very good and tasted fresh squeezed. My DH and I had lunch at the Aqua Spa cafe whenever we could. There are some special items added to the menu daily. My husband loved the grilled tuna and the freshly prepared deviled eggs were yummy.

Regarding drink service, on the Silhouette we were approached frequently

by drink waiters at the pool and in the theater. On the Equinox, we rarely saw drink waiters at the pool or in the theater.

The entertainment was very good on both ships. We especially loved two guest performers: Lovena Fox on the Equinox and Delisco on the Silhouette. The cruise director on the Silhouette was terrific. His name is Richard Spacey. He was funny and charming and made each show more special (don t miss the Marriage Game). His videos and socks were an interesting addition to every show.

We enjoyed both cruises despite the decline in the MDR food, and would sail on Celebrity again. The total cruise experience has a lot more positives than negatives. Cruising is still our favorite vacation. Both ships are beautiful and well maintained.

We have been on the Connie for 2 weeks now. I have noticed a difference in the "fresh squeezed OJ". It is still billed as "fresh squeezed"as far as I can tell. How can they charge extra for frozen OJ? That is the least expensive OJ available in US supermarkets. I will have to ask about this over the next few days. Thank you for the update.

Talked to the RM on the Connie last night. Yes, the extra cost "fresh squeezed" OJ is now made from frozen. As of about 3 weeks ago. Another cost cutting move....

Thank you for a REAL review. I am so tired of being lured to a "review" only to find it is someone's diary of every waking moment spent on her trip. This one was especially helpful, as we haven't been on the Silhouette in a year but will return next month. Fair, concise, well written, you have it all, Anne.

Thanks for the informative review Anne. I really hate how our once favorite line is becoming less special. It is most disappointing how you were treated by Guest Relations. Quite unacceptable. I also agree that it is shameful how some people treat the very hard working crew.

Questions.

You mentioned you take a shuttle to the Pier. I was wondering if there is a benefit to a Shuttle over a taxi at least in FLL? I have always taken a cab but you have been on far more cruises than I and may know something I don't. I would consider a shuttle next time.

Did you try room service for Bfast? Last time they had an expanded menu and the Bfast on our balcony was the most enjoyable. We are Conciere class again this time too. Did they end that perk?

Drink package question. We also have a drink package. If they slip a more expensive drink on us that isn't covered do you pay for the entire drink or just the difference in what your package covers and the extra?

Did they have any comedians onboard? Recently the entertainment has been rather bland and the Comics have been the best part.

Lineaway ~ here are the answers to your questions:

We used Avanti Shuttle. I made arrangements with them because we had 11 people wanting to go to the pier together. They are also the shuttle that services the hotel we stayed at. They were $7 per person. We also used them after the cruise to return to the hotel where several us of parked our cars for the week. I was very impressed that they arrived at the terminal after the cruise within 5 minutes of calling them. I'm sure it's not always that quick but they did a great job for us. Their number is 954-655-1376....website is avantishuttle.com.

We meant to try room service for breakfast but we were up early every morning to do a two mile walk and then went to Oceanview to enjoy breakfast on the outdoor deck. Sorry I can't provide more details.

Drink package ~ funny you should ask. I think that's exactly what they did to me at lunch at the Oceanview...gave me a more expensive glass of wine. I had NO way of knowing that as I requested the Chardonnay in the Classic package. I noticed a wine charge on our bill and then went to Guest Services. He was the person that pretty rudely told me that I ordered the more expensive glass of wine. I explained that I didn't. He asked me for a receipt. I said I never signed a receipt for drinks at anytime throughout the cruise. Bottom line was there was no way to know if they served me a glass of wine not in the package because they do NOT present with a check when ordering a drink. And no, you shouldn't be charged for it if they do. That's why I went down to Guest Relations to question the charge.

The did have a comedian on board. His name was Louis Johnson. He did a 15 minute routine on the first evening in the opening preview show of the entertainment for the week. He was VERY funny. However, when they brought him back for his late night show he was WAY over the top talking about sex to the point it wasn't funny at all. A couple of things would have been funny but it got to the point that no one was laughing and people started to walk out. I know it was late night (11:30) but his general stuff he did in his opening act was way funnier. There has to be a balance.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the informative review Anne. I really hate how our once favorite line is becoming less special. It is most disappointing how you were treated by Guest Relations. Quite unacceptable. I also agree that it is shameful how some people treat the very hard working crew.

Couldn't agree more, Mike. But this is a trend I find in many businesses today....not just cruising. Not sure that there is anything we can do to improve the declining situation. As long as we keep sailing, there's little incentive to reverse the anything. My best to Carol.

Good review, but was suprised to read your comments about the crew. They have obviously changed from our Adriatic cruise last September. The crew on that cruise were outstanding. Michael, our stateroom steward, always seemed to be around to wish us " Good Morning" on our way to breakfast and be there to open the stateroom door on our return from excursions. Nothing was too much trouble and he and his staff were fantastic.

In the MDR all staff were great with my wife's GF requests being absolutely no trouble even with the wonderful French onion soup provided without the crust. The ship was searched high and low for her Almond Milk for breakfast and provided with charm and a smile. Murano staff were as good as a Michelin Star restaurant without the snobbishness and the Quisine staff were more fun than the food ! The Captain and crew were a delight to meet.

Sure the first room service breakfast was a disaster with a menu mixup and bland food so it was the MDR after that, but after complaining about the room service I received a call profuse with apologies. The Silhouette is a great ship and our cruise was wonderful with the amazing crew making it an unforgettable experience. Sometimes I think hardened cruises just get too picky and intolerant. Hey! isnt it all just too wonderful to being waited on hand and foot without having to make the scrambled eggs at home.

Edited by Dowunder

This is a great review. What is especially nice is that it is from a "Super Moderator" which serves two purposes. First, it gets the attention of Celebrity cruises. Second, it eliminates all comments from the Celebrity "cheerleaders", i.e. those people who have no real life and spend there hours defending their favorite cruise line from any negative comment.

Rose and I sailed on Mercury in 2000. We were not impressed. We have sailed on RCI, Holland America, and Princess since then. We have seen the offerings from those cruise lines dip over the years. Our best friends wanted to have a cruise to Barbados, so last year we booked Equinox on a 10 day cruise. Celebrity seemed to us to be at a level above where the others have sunk. We had a great cruise with family on Ruby Princess two weeks ago. We have cruises booked with Celebrity on Constellation in 2016 and Silhouette in 2017. I hope that this review helps to keep the Celebrity "experience" going until then.

Dowunder ~ I sailed Constellation three weeks before Silhouette and they were among the best crew we've sailed with in years. Can't fully explain the crew on Silhouette other than the last couple of months for them with the propulsion problems had to really wear on them and there was new crew on board for our crew. Could have been a combination.

Don't get me wrong....I still appreciate their hard work.

Tutak ~ thanks for your kind words. I doubt that Celebrity notices my review any more than our other members. I'm just a volunteer moderator trying to keep our boards friendly. I do like to give honest and helpful reviews, however. My intention is to help other cruisers have a great cruise; point out things that were great and things that need improvement while be grateful for the opportunity to enjoy cruising.

We first sailed on Silhouette in March of 2013 and absolutely loved the ship, the food, and ALL of the crew. Our prior cruises were on Norwegian and Silhouette just blew us away. That's why we are once again sailing her this March!

I have read the reviews from those who sailed on Silhouette this year (2015) and must say I am feeling a little dejected at the apparent lowering of their standards. That said, we are once again going to the Western Caribbean but do not plan to go ashore very much. We are looking forward to really enjoying the ship and truly relaxing!!

Did I read that there is a get-together on board for Cruise Critic people like us? If so, I would love to know when and where!

We are going Aqua Class this time and planning on checking out Blu. Humm, wonder how that will turn out.... Maybe we'll see some of you there!

Patty

Patty ~ no worries....you'll have a great time....Silhouette is a beautiful ship. I think when we cruise frequently, we often view things with a more critical eye...although I am concerned about the continuing ways they are trying to cut costs. It is starting to show.

I'm glad you asked about the Cruise Critic party because I totally forgot to mention it in my review. And there was a reason for that. I didn't go. They had our Cruise Critic party during sailaway. I was traveling with family and friends and we had plans to enjoy sailaway together. Unfortunately, that meant I missed meeting many of the Cruise Critic members I chatted with before the cruise. I think it was about the worst timing I've ever seen for a Cruise Critic party. Considering we had 3.5 days at sea on our cruise I found it hard to believe that they couldn't have had the gathering on a sea day. Hope you have better timing.

ENJOY!

Hi Anne, thanks for the review.

I know you mentioned this earlier, but is there any chance you can post some of the Dailies? I'm sailing on the Sillhouette in April and I'm hoping that at least some of the entertainment and activities might be current.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I know you mentioned this earlier, but is there any chance you can post some of the Dailies? I'm sailing on the Sillhouette in April and I'm hoping that at least some of the entertainment and activities might be current.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Hi Host Anne,

I would also really appreciate it if you could post some dailys & info! We board on the 1st of March & really looking forward to it and any info I can find out would help deal with it! [emoji16]

Thanks in advance.

Tim

So sorry...I've been on the road for work nearly the entire time I've been back. I will get them scanned and posted this weekend. That's the first chance I'll have. Thanks for your patience.

So sorry...I've been on the road for work nearly the entire time I've been back. I will get them scanned and posted this weekend. That's the first chance I'll have. Thanks for your patience.

Great,

Thank you! [emoji4]

I seems that they should be playing more 70's and 80's music....it's much more inline with the demographic....anything earlier than the 70's and the people probably will be in bed early anyhow...lol

quote=floridacruisers;45452917]We were on the same cruise (although somehow our paths didn't cross) and I concur with your comments.

We were in Blu except for a fun night in the Lawn Club Grill and found the food to range from good to excellent. Granted, it is a subjective opinion so take that comment it for what it's worth. The cheeseburgers were GOOD as were the fries!

I still do not understand why a ship with 75-80% baby boomers is playing the type ( and sometimes excruciatingly LOUD!) of music that doesn't fit the demographics. I like a good mix, but make it a MIX! A miami dj hasn't a clue as to what the generation on that ship likes. It would be like me selecting appropriate crap err rap music to play for some teens.

We had excellent service from all crew members, even the Guest Relations people were fine for me. Then again, I didn't have much of a problem to report.

Would I go again???? Well, I booked a future cruise on the Equinox so yes, I will continue to go on Celebrity, for now..........

Phil...........floridacruisers