Transferred Reservation to TA - Is this request 'normal'?

DaisyFire

We transferred our X booking to a TA to get better pricing and additional onboard credit. They told us all X perks would transfer - but now are asking for additional deposit. We put down 50% as Captains Club perk but are being told we need to make full deposit now. Does that seem right? Has anyone had this experience before?

Thanks!

We transferred our X booking to a TA to get better pricing and additional onboard credit. They told us all X perks would transfer - but now are asking for additional deposit. We put down 50% as Captains Club perk but are being told we need to make full deposit now. Does that seem right? Has anyone had this experience before?

Thanks!

Yes, if they have some kind of special pricing or perk, oftentimes they ask for a larger deposit.

Thanks all for your responses. I guess I don't really mind - except that they did not tell me this was part of the deal until after I transferred the booking.

I had transferred another booking to them not too long ago and this was not required - so it just seemed a little squirrelly.

Thanks!

Thanks all for your responses. I guess I don't really mind - except that they did not tell me this was part of the deal until after I transferred the booking.

I had transferred another booking to them not too long ago and this was not required - so it just seemed a little squirrelly.

Thanks!

Each travel agent has their own set of requirements and the deposit can vary from agency to agency. Ultimately you will be paying this money so I'm not sure what is "squirrelly" about this.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

They should have told you up front that the TA requires that additional deposit

Not all TAs require this

How would you know that?

When a TA does not inform until the reservation is transferred I would be very careful in the future with the TA

Could just be an oversight but ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by true45

Thanks!

It may vary from reservation to reservation, which has been my experience. I think it just depends on what kind of amenities they're offering, whether it's one of their "group bookings," etc.

I'm with vulcan...you pay now or pay later, either way you pay.

Each travel agent has their own set of requirements and the deposit can vary from agency to agency. Ultimately you will be paying this money so I'm not sure what is "squirrelly" about this.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Ok - perhaps squirrelly was the wrong term. And I do understand that in the end, the full amount will be paid for the booking. Given that this cruise is in 2016 it is possible that at this point I just don't have the money and was planning to save up my Starbucks money for the next 500+ days to pay for this cruise :cool:

And yes, I know that it can be placed on a credit card, but there are some of us that do not believe in carrying a balance or want to pay the interest charges. :)

We booked aboard and had our agent named on the forms. When we got back she got us a fare of almost $1000 less than the ship board price -- we needed to give a full deposit, but kept the other perks.

We don't really care much about the deposit size, our money earns so little in the bank. (We''re North America - so the deposit is fully refundable) :)

We had the same situation. Paid 50% deposit when booking with Celebrity then transferred to TA who required full deposit. It really didn't matter to us since we would be paying the same amount in the long run either way. The perks from the TA definitely made it worth it.

My experience last November was the same, but they were not upfront about it.

I paid Celebrity $250. IIRC, the TA wanted another $750 (for the 4 of us).

The extra deposit was not really an issue, except that the first I heard of it was after the reservation had been transferred. Not sure it would have made a difference to me, but I felt they should have been forthcoming from the onset.

I too got extra OBC for the transfer.

Ok - perhaps squirrelly was the wrong term. And I do understand that in the end, the full amount will be paid for the booking. Given that this cruise is in 2016 it is possible that at this point I just don't have the money and was planning to save up my Starbucks money for the next 500+ days to pay for this cruise :cool:

And yes, I know that it can be placed on a credit card, but there are some of us that do not believe in carrying a balance or want to pay the interest charges. :)

As many have pointed out, the benefits of transferring to a travel agent far outweigh the inconvenience of paying a higher deposit. I'm sure you will figure out how to live without Starbucks for 500+ days.... and if you skip a few salon service appointments, you will have that extra deposit paid off in no time. :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Why would a TA require additional deposit than =X= when 100% of any deposit goes to =X= anyway and none to the TA?

If you are booked into one of the Groups that the TA has set up with Celebrity, then Celebrity requires that you pay the full deposit to be enrolled in the Group and have access to the Group benefits and amenities.

This is Celebrity's rule, not that of the TA, but it will be the TA that has to ask you for the upgraded deposit.

If you refuse to pay the upgraded deposit, then the TA can still take your booking but you won't be in the Group, and won't be able to get any additional OBC etc. or other perks that are available to members of the Group.

As many have pointed out, the benefits of transferring to a travel agent far outweigh the inconvenience of paying a higher deposit. I'm sure you will figure out how to live without Starbucks for 500+ days.... and if you skip a few salon service appointments, you will have that extra deposit paid off in no time. :D

Enjoy your cruise!

:D LOL!! Actually, I am a pretty low maintenance kind of gal so wouldn't save much by skipping my bi-monthly hair trim and really prefer the coffee I can make with my Keurig to Starbucks. But I've got a few pennies saved up - I think I'll muddle through. ;)

If you are booked into one of the Groups that the TA has set up with Celebrity, then Celebrity requires that you pay the full deposit to be enrolled in the Group and have access to the Group benefits and amenities.

This is Celebrity's rule, not that of the TA, but it will be the TA that has to ask you for the upgraded deposit.

If you refuse to pay the upgraded deposit, then the TA can still take your booking but you won't be in the Group, and won't be able to get any additional OBC etc. or other perks that are available to members of the Group.

Thanks Elena! That helps to put things into perspective!

If a TA is getting you the OBC by moving you to a group so that you get a group perk, then it is Celebrity that requires the additional deposit not the TA.

TA's have promotional groups where they get extra on board credit for their clients. It is not that you would ever see or do anything with the other people in the "group" but the TA has committed to a certain amount of cabins on the ship.

Most agents will explain why the additional deposit is needed and give you a choice as to which option you would prefer. Additional deposit with extra OBC, or keep your reduced deposit and not get the additional OBC.

How do you know you are in their group space.

I moved a cruise booked on board to my TA and had no problem then had her move it to another cruise.

She states the price drop is due to a Group rate and I will need to increase my deposit by $700.00 which I agree to as the price on the new cruise is so much better and it includes additional on board credit

She sends me the confirmation but "I do not have to increase my deposit" but she included a clause that if I cancel or move the cruise again I have to pay $50.00 a person.

Is this normal?

On our Oasis TA cruise last fall I booked a cruise on board and was told the new policy is "they will cancel the deposit if you are moving it and they think you are not serious in your booking". Not sure how they know you are just moving a cruise out until you find a more appropriate one.

tA can add more OBC without increasing deposits. If the fare drops,TA has to collect the full deposit. Kind of weird. I have done it. Not all TAs will tell you about a drop. Good TAs will adjust fares to help clients. TAs that are good want repreat bookings. Be sure that the booking numbers match.