Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

Ok, you are right.

I just thought Quantum and Oasis Class, especially latter one, might be too large for several ports that cannot handle such huge ships - so my thoughts are/were, that the range of itineraries/ports for those ships are limited due to size reasons.

Yeah, but okay, Quantum Class ships should be able to visit at least nearly all ports Freedom/Voyager-Class ships can visit - sorry... [emoji5].

No need to apologize, no big deal at all. We're all guessing here, no one knows the truth. There's another thread going right now regarding Oasis surprise charter in March 2016 for 5 day cruise... then a brand new 9 day cruise which will add San Juan and St Kitts for a 9 day itinerary. This new itinerary is the truth, it's available on RCL's website for booking

Having just sailed into Martinique on Quantum, I think Oasis can fit into that pier no problem. Barbados, maybe. St Kitts 100% easy imo. San Juan no problem at all with it's newly built pier expansion. Tortola BVI is having many cruises cancelling (incl mine in one month) because of their huge pier expansion. Quantum tenders at Cococay where the smallest of ships also tender. And now let's look world-wide with even all of your posts of Allure in Europe (Barca, Malaga, Civitevacchia, Naples, can Oasis do Lisbon before going under the bridge? Pirius/Athens port is huge, Khusadasi should fit imo but unsure just looking at my photos, Istanbul I would think is ok, Vigo. where else?) and Spring-Aussie's proof in articles of all the huge port expansions in various cities all over Asia and Sydney. Plenty of places these huge ships can go... comes down to contracts.

Getting into the ports is only a small issue... it's the contracts that the cruise lines have with the various port authorities, diamonds international, the governments of those cities, etc plenty of other variables that determine where RCI ships will... NCL have the same considerations, CCL, all cruise lines.

Edited by Hoopster95

Yeah ok, you are right, the contracts might be the key issue that those ships might not be redeployed.

But in another thread I saw that Oasis might be too large for Port Canaveral for example, since there might be too less turnaround space.

And consider: Oasis Class has Central Park with several plants, which May be weather-sensitive. That's IMO the next reason why ranges of itineraries for those ships are limited. ☺️

Yes, it does seem that there is going to be some new itineraries in Europe this time around.

My personal hope is that Rhapsody would be doing something like the Celebrity Constellation is doing a few times in 2016: 1 way trips between Barcelona and Venice! I know it might be a bit of a stretch, but I'd love to sail an itinerary like that! One can only hope! ;):D

Just checked out the Civitavecchia/Rome cruise schedule for 2016 - Rhapsody otS is expected to call at Rome the 26th of April, 2016 (06:00 am - 07:00 pm), coming from Ajaccio/Corse and with destination Naples.

Rhapsody otS calls at Barcelona the 24th of April 2016, coming from her Transatlantic.

According to cruise schedule of Dubrovnik, Rhapsody's first call at venice should be 4th of May 2016, so Rhapsody should offer a 10 night cruise from Barcelona to Venice... [emoji5]

Yeah ok, you are right, the contracts might be the key issue that those ships might not be redeployed.

But in another thread I saw that Oasis might be too large for Port Canaveral for example, since there might be too less turnaround space.

And consider: Oasis Class has Central Park with several plants, which May be weather-sensitive. That's IMO the next reason why ranges of itineraries for those ships are limited. ☺️

Port Canaveral and Royal Caribbean spent millions building a new terminal and pier. I doubt it was just for the freedom class size ships. Besides,the length of the Freedom of the Seas is 1,112 ft and the Oasis is 1,184 feet. Not a great difference. I just got off the FOS yesterday and watched the turn around and there was ample space to make the maneuver. PC will get an Oasis class ship sometime in the future, that's my guess and I'm sticking with it! lol

Port Canaveral and Royal Caribbean spent millions building a new terminal and pier. I doubt it was just for the freedom class size ships. Besides,the length of the Freedom of the Seas is 1,112 ft and the Oasis is 1,184 feet. Not a great difference. I just got off the FOS yesterday and watched the turn around and there was ample space to make the maneuver. PC will get an Oasis class ship sometime in the future, that's my guess and I'm sticking with it! lol

Ok, you might be right - or I guess a Quantum Class ship might be based at Pt. Canaveral, maybe even the new Ovation otS just after her debuting date...

In any case it seems that Freedom otS will leave PC in April/May 2016 and will switch to San Juan to replace Adventure.

So at least one newer ship must replace Freedom - Independence I doubt, so IMHO a Quantum or Oasis Class ship should be based there instead...

To bad you missed Quantum yesterday, she came in around noon and turned around fine.

That would be fantastic! But I agree a longshot. IF many Charleston folks had their way, there would be no cruises sailing from there. Wouldn't it be fantastic if there was competition for Carnival for that port.

Erika

Living in Charleston, I would love nothing more than to have a Royal Caribbean ship here. Erika is right, it comes up on a regular basis (updating the terminal, parking, dredging etc) and it is fought hard by the born and raised locals. I can only hope anyone other than Carnival was here, but Royal would be great.

Port Canaveral and Royal Caribbean spent millions building a new terminal and pier. I doubt it was just for the freedom class size ships. Besides,the length of the Freedom of the Seas is 1,112 ft and the Oasis is 1,184 feet. Not a great difference. I just got off the FOS yesterday and watched the turn around and there was ample space to make the maneuver.

"Turn around" is more than about length, it is also about minimum draft along the entire length plus tolerance for that length and draft. It is feasible that the draft requirement for a 1,184' ship is 29', or even that the maximum ship length is 1180', allowing for ships like Freedom or Quantum but not Oasis, even though it looks to the casual observer that there is "ample space" (note, not saying this is the case, just sayin' that there could be more going on than a simple observation might reveal).

PC will get an Oasis class ship sometime in the future, that's my guess and I'm sticking with it! lol

I guess it is possible that "sometime in the future" this will occur (as the "future" covers a very long time), but personally, I don't see it till there are regular places for O-class ships to visit that are north of PC.

Since (currently) all the ports that O-class ships go to are even south of Port Everglades, moving one to PC costs the company more in fuel to get to these ports or the reduction in ports visited, neither being a desirable option by RCI.

Though after reading about Oasis going to San Juan, PR after a charter, I may well amend a previous guess about one of the three going to the Med for the entire year to either a rotation between the BCL and SJU or just SJU (the former possibly offering slightly more demand).

"Turn around" is more than about length, it is also about minimum draft along the entire length plus tolerance for that length and draft. It is feasible that the draft requirement for a 1,184' ship is 29', or even that the maximum ship length is 1180', allowing for ships like Freedom or Quantum but not Oasis, even though it looks to the casual observer that there is "ample space" (note, not saying this is the case, just sayin' that there could be more going on than a simple observation might reveal).

I guess it is possible that "sometime in the future" this will occur (as the "future" covers a very long time), but personally, I don't see it till there are regular places for O-class ships to visit that are north of PC.

Since (currently) all the ports that O-class ships go to are even south of Port Everglades, moving one to PC costs the company more in fuel to get to these ports or the reduction in ports visited, neither being a desirable option by RCI.

Though after reading about Oasis going to San Juan, PR after a charter, I may well amend a previous guess about one of the three going to the Med for the entire year to either a rotation between the BCL and SJU or just SJU (the former possibly offering slightly more demand).

Maybe they are looking to increase market share in Central FL

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a website to see the schedule for Rome (Civitavecchia)?

Of course: http://www.port-of-rome.org/content/arrivi-e-partenze-navi

But this schedule is very user-unfriendly - to have a look at the cruise ship calls, you need to choose "nave da crociere" in the dropdown list, and than browse through the calendar...

Yeah, since the new terminal is under construction, surely something bigger than Freedom Class will soon be based at Port Canaveral - but in this thread, more and more facts are appearing that make me doubt for Oasis Class coming to Port Canaveral, since the turnaround space is one issue, as well as the fuel issues - and I also do not see any Oasis Class ship to be based in San Juan, IMHO it will be Freedom otS, sailing from San Juan soon.

My guess is that when Ovation otS gets finished in spring 2016, she might be sent directly to Port Canaveral after her debut and take over the runs from Port Canaveral, usually done by Freedom...

Or an Oasis Class ship will REALLY be sent to Pt. Canaveral in spring 2016, so Ovation might sail the 7 night runs from Ft. Lauderdale to replace Independence otS from there...

I more and more doubt that Ovation will be based in Southampton, I pers. see Independence coming back to Europe...

It would make the most financial sense for Royal to base an Oasis Class ship out of San Juan.

San Juan is centrally located to most of their destinations (excluding Nassau) which would significantly reduce their fuel costs.

Not only would they see a drop in fuel cost/consumption, they could easily add another island to their itinerary.

It would make the most financial sense for Royal to base an Oasis Class ship out of San Juan.

San Juan is centrally located to most of their destinations (excluding Nassau) which would significantly reduce their fuel costs.

Not only would they see a drop in fuel cost/consumption, they could easily add another island to their itinerary.

I HIGHLY doubt to see an Oasis Class ship based out of San Juan (and to be honest, I also do not hope so... :eek: ).

Those itineraries sailing from San Juan are more about the islands/destinations than the ship itself - also I doubt whether Oasis Class is able to dock at St. Lucia, Dominica, etc...

It seems that Freedom otS will be based out of San Juan year-round from May 2016, and Jewel sailing from San Juan during winter period...

... and I also do not see any Oasis Class ship to be based in San Juan, IMHO it will be Freedom otS, sailing from San Juan soon.

I mostly offered this guess since there will soon be three (and not that long after four) O-class ships that need to be based somewhere. SJU offers Southern Caribbean islands not easily achieved from US ports without cruises longer than 7 days (though, the latter might be one way to deploy these ships).

My guess is that when Ovation otS gets finished in spring 2016, she might be sent directly to Port Canaveral after her debut and take over the runs from Port Canaveral, usually done by Freedom...

A Q-class in PC is reasonable, as it will offer not only Caribbean destinations, but Eastern US coastal ports and Bermuda (once they finish their port for Q-class). And if I read the ship specs correctly, it is more fuel efficient than Freedom class ships, offering reduced operating costs for those destinations.

Or an Oasis Class ship will REALLY be sent to Pt. Canaveral in spring 2016, so Ovation might sail the 7 night runs from Ft. Lauderdale to replace Independence otS from there...

Certainly anything is possible, but (IMO) it would seem more practical to have O-class out of PE and F-class (or Q-class) out of PC than the other way around.

I mostly offered this guess since there will soon be three (and not that long after four) O-class ships that need to be based somewhere. SJU offers Southern Caribbean islands not easily achieved from US ports without cruises longer than 7 days (though, the latter might be one way to deploy these ships).

That's right - but before RCI sends an Oasis Class ship to SJU, I personally see one of them heading to Asia permanently. And maybe one stays year-round in Europe (Barcelona, for example), although I am not sure whether this is feasible due to the sensitive Central Park...

A Q-class in PC is reasonable, as it will offer not only Caribbean destinations, but Eastern US coastal ports and Bermuda (once they finish their port for Q-class). And if I read the ship specs correctly, it is more fuel efficient than Freedom class ships, offering reduced operating costs for those destinations.

Could well be, a Q Class ship could multiply operate from there - so IMHO, Ovation might be a possible replacement for Freedom otS... Independence otS I doubt, than even Oasis is more possible, IMHO...

Certainly anything is possible, but (IMO) it would seem more practical to have O-class out of PE and F-class (or Q-class) out of PC than the other way around.

That's right - my question is where Oasis III might be sailing during summer month - maybe she does the Barcelona runs Allure is doing in 2015 - or Oasis is switching to Europe since she might be relocated to Asia after her Europe season.

Oasis III, however, might fit in for Oasis in PE, and Allure stays there. And Ovation sailing from PC. Independence otS possibly returns to Southampton in 2016.

Feedback and thoughts posted in red... [emoji5]

I HIGHLY doubt to see an Oasis Class ship based out of San Juan (and to be honest, I also do not hope so... :eek: ).

Those itineraries sailing from San Juan are more about the islands/destinations than the ship itself - also I doubt whether Oasis Class is able to dock at St. Lucia, Dominica, etc...

An O-class out of SJU is not as crazy as it seems. Indeed there are a number of islands that currently cannot handle O-class, but there are a number that can (as evidenced by the 9-day special cruise, plus some that are already large enough). This also allows for visits to St. Thomas and St. Maarten on other days than ships coming from FL (an SJU departure on Sat. could arrive St. Thomas on Sun. etc.). This is added benefit to the ports that might also come as reduced port fees (to the line, not necessarily the customer).

My guess is that it would also invigorate demand from cruisers that might like O-class ships, but find the current itineraries boring.

Though, this is just my $.02 (and probably not even worth that); it is RCI that will make the end decisions.

An O-class out of SJU is not as crazy as it seems. Indeed there are a number of islands that currently cannot handle O-class, but there are a number that can (as evidenced by the 9-day special cruise, plus some that are already large enough). This also allows for visits to St. Thomas and St. Maarten on other days than ships coming from FL (an SJU departure on Sat. could arrive St. Thomas on Sun. etc.). This is added benefit to the ports that might also come as reduced port fees (to the line, not necessarily the customer).

My guess is that it would also invigorate demand from cruisers that might like O-class ships, but find the current itineraries boring.

Though, this is just my $.02 (and probably not even worth that); it is RCI that will make the end decisions.

Yeah I understand your thoughts - MAYBE this will be a topic when the fourth Oasis Class ship is out, but IMHO not prior to her delivery.

On top of that, the SJU itineraries only have one (or maximum two) day(s) at sea, where RCI could create less revenue than on itineraries with fewer ports... [emoji5]

MAYBE Quantum Class from San Juan could be an option, sooner or later... however I also thought about Quantum Class being based at Barcelona for the 7 night runs... :D

I just think Oasis Class ships do better at other ports/locations such as sailing from Florida, and Barcelona during summer months, and I am pretty sure that sooner or later, one of those ships will be sent to Asia, since the Chinese market surely would demand highly for one of those ships...

Edited by celebrity_fan

That's right - but before RCI sends an Oasis Class ship to SJU, I personally see one of them heading to Asia permanently. And maybe one stays year-round in Europe (Barcelona, for example), although I am not sure whether this is feasible due to the sensitive Central Park...

I'm not denying that Asia is not in the running, but for O-class, I see this as much more limiting choice.

There are currently no North America west coast ports that are practical (including HI), so a trans-pacific trip is unlikely in the foreseeable future. And any repositioning would need to head through the potentially longer Indian Ocean route with a questionable set of ports she can visit (plus to keep the trip practical, she would need to go through the Suez Canal that often has varying max limits that O-class already barely complies).

When bringing up weather, there is lots of the same issues in the South Pacific, as there are a number of ports that have winter temps that are similar to the Med (though 6-mos shifted). This does suggest that an option is winter in the South Pacific, summer in the Med, but again would need to do that repositioning on regular occasions.

So while Asia or PC is possible, it seems to me to be less practical than a So. Caribbean only or So. Carib. shared with a Med.

Yeah I understand your thoughts - MAYBE this will be a topic when the fourth Oasis Class ship is out, but IMHO not prior to her delivery.

Probably true for Oasis-III as well (we may not see an itinerary till much closer to delivery).

On top of that, the SJU itineraries only have one (or maximum two) day(s) at sea, where RCI could create less revenue than on itineraries with fewer ports... [emoji5]

Not necessarily. There is no reason that they need to have 5 port days, they could easily trim it to 4 or even 3.

MAYBE Quantum Class from San Juan could be an option, sooner or later... however I also thought about Quantum Class being based at Barcelona for the 7 night runs... :D

It's not a bad choice to have a Q-class based in the Med, as she could easily handle the winter season. So don't loose that thought.

I just think Oasis Class ships do better at other ports/locations such as sailing from Florida, and Barcelona during summer months, and I am pretty sure that sooner or later, one of those ships will be sent to Asia, since the Chinese market surely would demand highly for one of those ships...

I'm not sure that O-class would maintain interest in the Chinese market. Generally, this is a market that doesn't lounge around the pool, and a good portion of Oasis is the outdoor activities that include lounging around the pool. She might work in the Oz/Kiwi market, but that still requires regular repositioning.

As for sailing from SJU, the port costs there are less than at mainland US ports, it is accessible non-stop by a number of US airports (without the need for passports, BTW), it does offer more economical access to more destinations than from mainland US ports, and there has been some demand for different itineraries for O-class from US based cruisers.

We'll see, but does make some sense to me.

Edited by 3dog
Missing info

It seems that Freedom otS will be based out of San Juan year-round from May 2016, and Jewel sailing from San Juan during winter period...

I agree with you that I do not think that you will see an O class out of San Juan.

Not even sure if this is an issue or not is that while Oasis is making a stop at San Juan in March 2016 that stop is at the pier in old San Juan which is only used for day stops. She is not stopping at the port where embarkations take place from and I have no idea whether or not she could be accommodated at that pier or whether those terminals could handle the 6000 pax that she carries.

The other issue is that if you watch prices you will find that the sailings from San Juan are frequently discounted at the last minute as Royal does have more difficulty selling these itineraries at full price. It is more expensive to fly to San Juan and impossible to drive to. This does play into account for many vacationers when making plans. I'm not sure they could continually fill a large ship at the premium prices they could get if she sailed from a Florida port.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Probably true for Oasis-III as well (we may not see an itinerary till much closer to delivery).

I personally do not see her switching to San Juan - IMHO, Florida and/or Mediterranean are most possible options, IMHO.

Not necessarily. There is no reason that they need to have 5 port days, they could easily trim it to 4 or even 3.

Sure, but do you really think those sailings from SJU will be "destroyed" just to have an Oasis Class ship there? I pers. do not see RCI trimming those cruises on 4 or even 3 ports, since the sailings from San Juan are about the ports, to have more ports per week than sailing from Florida, IMHO... So I do not think that something like that is going to happen. With Freedom otS, however, it won't be any problem to visit 5 ports, I guess.

For me, another indicator that SJU is not sooo important, compared to Florida, is, that RCI deploys ships from there which have not been refurbished - Jewel to be refurbished in 2016, and Adventure with just slightly upgraded innovations, no FlowRider and new staterooms, as installed on the other Voyager Class ships.

OK, with Freedom otS possibly sailing from there in may 2016, this will be another topic...

It's not a bad choice to have a Q-class based in the Med, as she could easily handle the winter season. So don't loose that thought.

Could well be, MAYBE Ovation also takes over the Barcelona run, operated by Allure in 2015. And Independence back to Southampton, and all three Oasis Class ships from Florida in 2016, and one switching to Asia...

I'm not sure that O-class would maintain interest in the Chinese market. Generally, this is a market that doesn't lounge around the pool, and a good portion of Oasis is the outdoor activities that include lounging around the pool. She might work.

As Singapore and HongKong are also upgrading ports/terminals to handle an Oasis Class ship, I personally see one of those ships ailing there in future. Yes, Chinese/Asians are rather gabmlers, but I think that those ships with it's gimmicks will be succesful in Asia, though... ;)

And have a look at the dropdown list here (VESSEL): http://mbccs.com.sg/

There Oasis (and Navigator) is/are expected for Singapore soon. [emoji5]

As for sailing from SJU, the port costs there are less than at mainland US ports, it is accessible non-stop by a number of US airports (without the need for passports, BTW), it does offer more economical access to more destinations than from mainland US ports, and there has been some demand for different itineraries for O-class from US based cruisers.

We'll see, but does make some sense to me.

Feedback in red again... [emoji5]

The other issue is that if you watch prices you will find that the sailings from San Juan are frequently discounted at the last minute as Royal does have more difficulty selling these itineraries at full price. It is more expensive to fly to San Juan and impossible to drive to. This does play into account for many vacationers when making plans. I'm not sure they could continually fill a large ship at the premium prices they could get if she sailed from a Florida port.

Yeah ok, maybe RCI has some difficulties to fill ships from San Juan since both Jewel and Adventure have not been upgraded, or just slightly upgraded (Adventure does not have FlowRider in comparison to it's sisters, for example), Jewel is going to be refurbished in spring 2016 - when those ships are upgraded and even Freedom is sailing from there in 2016, maybe it will be different... :)

But for me, the SJU runs are more about the ports than the ship itself... and I am also not sure if Floridians/US citizens from mainland would fly to SJU to experience an Oasis Class ship...

Edited by celebrity_fan

I highly doubt two new ships being based out of PC. The quantum class ship was build for cold weather areas. With an indoor pool and indoor seaplex. Maybe one. But not both.

Yeah, that's what I tried to say - Oasis III and Allure or Oasis from Ft. lauderdale, and Ovation or Anthem from Port Canaveral - and one Oasis Class ship to Asia somewhere in 2016...