Alaska Cruise Huge Price Drop Today

MilliesMom

We are booked on the Ruby Princess for 8/23/2015. I check the pricing often. Today I noticed there was a $350 drop per person in our pricing for the mini-suite category we had booked.

I called Princess (I had booked through them directly) and they gave me the new pricing. We still will receive the $100 onboard credit and $50 for specialty dining.

Our new total is $700 LESS than 1 week ago. LOVE IT!!!!!

Said that price adjustments can be made up to the day of sailing, so highly recommended that we check pricing.

It sure paid off for us today. Remember, if you booked through a travel agent you cannot contact Princess directly to adjust the pricing. Your agent has to do this. Also if your category cabin is sold out, many times they cannot offer you a discount either.

Just checked and no price drop on our suite; but then I am not surprised as we have never had a price reduction.

Mike:)

Our experience has been that Princess seldom drops the price of a suite (we caught a $1 price drop once:D). Instead they offer them at a reduced upsell rate to minisuite passengers.

To the OP, congratulations!

Just checked and no price drop on our suite; but then I am not surprised as we have never had a price reduction.

Our experience has been that Princess seldom drops the price of a suite (we caught a $1 price drop once:D). Instead they offer them at a reduced upsell rate to minisuite passengers.

To the OP, congratulations!

I went back in tonight to see if the suite prices had dropped. If they had I would of upgraded if close in price. Well, the lower priced suite now are fully booked and penthouse and above are the only ones left. So I don't know if they did a price change or not on those.

I never expect a price drop once we book, but it was fantastic to get one like this!!!!

I went back in tonight to see if the suite prices had dropped. If they had I would of upgraded if close in price. Well, the lower priced suite now are fully booked and penthouse and above are the only ones left. So I don't know if they did a price change or not on those.

I never expect a price drop once we book, but it was fantastic to get one like this!!!!

I've never expected one either and Princess has never surprised us; so I guess we are even.:rolleyes:

So - if Princess does a price decrease is it targeted to certain cabin levels and others the price will not change? I have never been on a cruise where there was a price decrease so this is news to me and we are booked on the 8/22 Alaska cruise.

So - if Princess does a price decrease is it targeted to certain cabin levels and others the price will not change? I have never been on a cruise where there was a price decrease so this is news to me and we are booked on the 8/22 Alaska cruise.

That is correct.

We are booked on the Ruby Princess for 8/23/2015. I check the pricing often. Today I noticed there was a $350 drop per person in our pricing for the mini-suite category we had booked.

I called Princess (I had booked through them directly) and they gave me the new pricing. We still will receive the $100 onboard credit and $50 for specialty dining.

Said that price adjustments can be made up to the day of sailing, so highly recommended that we check pricing.

It sure paid off for us today. Remember, if you booked through a travel agent you cannot contact Princess directly to adjust the pricing. Your agent has to do this. Also if your category cabin is sold out, many times they cannot offer you a discount either.

Wow...I did not know that. I thought I could only receive a price adjustment, prior to final payment. Guess I need to be checking my cruise fare!!

Wow...I did not know that. I thought I could only receive a price adjustment, prior to final payment. Guess I need to be checking my cruise fare!!

That's not what is being said. MilliesMom got a price adjustment because her cruise is in August and is still prior to the final payment date.

Prices for new bookings may change right up to the day of sailing but depending on how you are booked, most fares already booked cannot be adjusted after the final payment date and a few cannot be changed ever.

Interesting! I just checked our 6/10 cruise on the Coral and the price has doubled since yesterday! If I were looking to book now I don't think we would be able to afford it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

And usually any price decrease is for new bookings only.

That's not what is being said. MilliesMom got a price adjustment because her cruise is in August and is still prior to the final payment date.

Prices for new bookings may change right up to the day of sailing but depending on how you are booked, most fares already booked cannot be adjusted after the final payment date and a few cannot be changed ever.

MilliesMom posted this:

...Said that price adjustments can be made up to the day of sailing, so highly recommended that we check pricing.

Am I reading it incorrectly? Don't know if this is new, or she was told incorrectly. I had always been under the impression that once final payment came, you were out of luck.

MilliesMom posted this:

...Said that price adjustments can be made up to the day of sailing, so highly recommended that we check pricing.

Am I reading it incorrectly? Don't know if this is new, or she was told incorrectly. I had always been under the impression that once final payment came, you were out of luck.

For the most part this is true. We have had a few adjustments after, but our TA handled it.

Have never seen/heard of any payment being adjusted on sailing day. I would think everythings closed out at least 24-48 hours prior.

Upon/after the final payment date or prior,Princess will total up and verify inventories.Should there be various categories with abundant inventory remaining,Princess will lower the retail public price as incentive for new passengers.Since those adjusted prices are public published,it will allow existing bookings which are monitoring activity to contact Princess and request the lower price.I have done this for years and saved $$ prior to my cruise.If your using the services of a T/A,this may/maynot require a little more work on your behalf!

Theoretically, a lot of price adjustments after the final payment date are for new bookings only. The worst thing that can happen if you ask about one that you see is that they tell you it doesn't apply. I've heard of people receiving on-board credit, refunds, and upgrades by asking--so sometimes it pays off.

I agree, we have had many cruises where we NEVER saw a price break. We have been on cruises where others in our group got a discount but we didn't because of different categories of our cabins. We have also seen discounts because of the state someone lives in.

We had one cruise on Mariner of the Seas (when it was on the west coast) that every time we turned around they were lowering the pricing. YES, we got all of the discounts because it was not targeted to new bookings only. At one point we joked that if this kept up they were going to be paying us to cruise.

We just booked last week and was shocked to see a $700 (total $350 each) discount for our cabin (mini suite - Emerald Deck). I called and it was quick and easy for Princess to make the change for me. I had booked directly through Princess Vacation Planner.

I've never seen them make price changes after final payment to a current booking. I was just relaying what the Princess Rep told me.

I'm thrilled to say the least. This was a fantastic savings for us. Still pinching myself and have checked our personalizer at least 3 times to be sure it still shows the new pricing. LOL. :D

Edited by MilliesMom

For what it's worth, (and it may not be much), for our Alaska cruise, (August, 2013), the prices bottomed out in April. We booked in March. Got re-fared again in March, and then re-fared one last time in April. So don't stop checking!

Edited by JimmyVWine

How do you check the price? Are you just visiting the Princess web site and checking your cruise date?

It seems like the cabin category we have on our July 29 sailing is about $100 more than we paid for it when we booked in November. Keep hoping for a price drop!

How do you check the price? Are you just visiting the Princess web site and checking your cruise date?

It seems like the cabin category we have on our July 29 sailing is about $100 more than we paid for it when we booked in November. Keep hoping for a price drop!

First I sign into the site.to search for a cruise and set it up to choose the cruise we are booked on.

When the prices show up for our date/cabin type I cross-reference.

Yesterday was our lucky day, because our mini-suite's price was lowered by $350 per person AND it was not tagged for new bookings only.

I always sign in first. That way the system knows we are past cruisers, seniors, and live in AZ. There can be specials that pertain to some or all of those categories AND sometimes it is just that they lowered the pricing.

We've never seen or received such a drastic price change. On our last cruise to Alaska two years ago, we didn't get any price drop at all. The prices just went up while we were waiting to cruise.

Edited by MilliesMom

Princess has separate booking codes for each promotion - if your particular booking code has a price drop, then they will adjust the price downward, even after final payment. But it's more likely that you will have booked under Code ABC and the lower price that you see is Code XYZ. You can't switch codes after final payment.

Aspirin, anybody?:D

Edited by critterchick